Columbia Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
17%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
14%
UAH apartments
41%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
16%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
12%

Total votes: 81

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Post by Stay-at-Home Son » Wed May 03, 2017 4:20 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:
Studybuddy17 wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:If anyone is interested in a spreadsheet that calculates your take home income in NYC for a bunch of years after graduation let me know.

It's using married filing tax tables but you can change them if you want. Also, I don't think there is any AMT tax but was too lazy to make sure.

You can plug in your spouse income/pretax deductions/loans/monthly expenses to get your personal take home amount.
Yes, interested in checking this out if you can please post. Thanks!
I have it in Excel so should I just email or is there an easy way to post here?
Dropbox public link? I don't think you can directly attach files in TLS posts.
Yep^ or Google Docs? Excel usually converts into Sheets reasonably well.

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Post by CPA-->JD » Wed May 03, 2017 4:45 pm

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:
Studybuddy17 wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:If anyone is interested in a spreadsheet that calculates your take home income in NYC for a bunch of years after graduation let me know.

It's using married filing tax tables but you can change them if you want. Also, I don't think there is any AMT tax but was too lazy to make sure.

You can plug in your spouse income/pretax deductions/loans/monthly expenses to get your personal take home amount.
Try this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Once downloaded, you can change anything in red. Let me know if I missed anything.

DogsAndWriting

New

Post by DogsAndWriting » Wed May 03, 2017 5:13 pm

[/quote]

Not sure but I think between 50 and 100 a month, definitely less than 100, and maybe (hopefully!) they have a student discount.[/quote]
In NYC? No way.[/quote]

NYSC can't be more than 60 a month. Back in the day I had like a $30 a month student membership from them.

There's also a BLINK fitness like 15 minutes away from CLS and that's literally the cheapest gym membership you could get, prices start at like $20 a month.[/quote]

Doesn't one of the on campus housing options have a gym? Any word on if it's any good? Apartment gyms are very hit-or-miss[/quote][/quote]

Lenfest has a gym, BUT its only cardio... no freeweights!

I am currently a member of NYSC. Students get a $10 discount from the monthly ~$70 for the standard pass to all other nyscs

And yes, Dodge does get pretty crowded... its gonna suck especially for those who do circuits or supersets....

Anyone here an avid weight lifter? Id be willing to partner up to maintain those gains!![/quote]

Ahhh that's a shame. I think my current apartment gym spoiled me. It's a pretty average place, but weirdly has an awesome, perpetually empty gym (I'm talking a full set of dumbbells, I'm talking TWO barbells, I'm talking a bench press, squat rack, cable machine, etc.). I guess NYSC is going to have to be the move? Maintaining a lifting routine is directly correlated to improved performance in all other areas of my life, so that's how I'm gonna rationalize that $60/month in law school.

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Wed May 03, 2017 5:28 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:

This was just the info I was looking for! Is enrollment into the student groups/organizations fairly easy?
Yes, if you express any interest at all chances are you will have people jumping at you to get you involved. There's a large activity fair right after the start of fall semester, but you can email someone in an org at any time and they'll usually be happy to talk (except right now, we're all dying in finals). Most of my friends are on at least one board for 2L.

Also, with that I'll put in what may be all of yours first plug for Law Revue! (Not to be confused with Law Review) If you don't know what that is, it's a once-a-semester student-run show, consisting of popular songs re-written with funny law school lyrics (and dance routines), plus skits. A huge number of students participate, and you can participate as part of the cast, the writers, or the band. It's a great community. Lots of free beer throughout the semester. The Dean, administrators, and some professors are common attendees at the show. It's a blast, and a great way to meet a lot of people and make friends. No talent or experience required.

Yellow13

New

Post by Yellow13 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi All! Is 90K an average fin aid offer? Is Colombia Aid need based or merit based?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Wed May 03, 2017 7:14 pm

Yellow13 wrote:Hi All! Is 90K an average fin aid offer? Is Colombia Aid need based or merit based?
90k is a fantastic offer, the vast majority of the class gets below that. Honestly it depends on your stats.

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:40 am

Yellow13 wrote:Hi All! Is 90K an average fin aid offer? Is Colombia Aid need based or merit based?
Take it and run!!

ottovon

New

Post by ottovon » Thu May 04, 2017 6:29 am

Anyone else have trouble accessing the online housing application? When I click the link (or any link that starts with facilities.columbia.edu) through the admitted students site I get a 404 Not Found error. If I add "www" in front I get a security warning and when I ignore it I get the same 404 error. Tried Chrome and Edge on Windows 10.

jpark86

New

Post by jpark86 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:37 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:
+100000

But seriously, there's NYSC nearby so if Dodge sucks as much as people say it does I might sign up for that. One of my pet peeves are gyms that suck/too crowded. I want to be able to workout at whatever time I want without having to wait for 3 people to finish benching before I can start.
Agreed. How much does NYSC go for?
Not sure but I think between 50 and 100 a month, definitely less than 100, and maybe (hopefully!) they have a student discount.
In NYC? No way.
NYSC can't be more than 60 a month. Back in the day I had like a $30 a month student membership from them.

There's also a BLINK fitness like 15 minutes away from CLS and that's literally the cheapest gym membership you could get, prices start at like $20 a month.
Doesn't one of the on campus housing options have a gym? Any word on if it's any good? Apartment gyms are very hit-or-miss

I am currently a member of NYSC. Students get a $10 discount from the monthly ~$70 for the standard pass to all other nyscs

And yes, Dodge does get pretty crowded... its gonna suck especially for those who do circuits or supersets....

Anyone here an avid weight lifter? Id be willing to partner up to maintain those gains!![/quote]

Right here bruh, can't let law school take our gains away[/quote]

I am in for the gains club.[/quote]

I'm actually down to make a fb group[/quote]

I know im in the minority but I actually stopped doing most social media (including fb) a while back... perhaps we can a google groups or some other interest page going?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jpark86

New

Post by jpark86 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:39 am

DogsAndWriting wrote:
Not sure but I think between 50 and 100 a month, definitely less than 100, and maybe (hopefully!) they have a student discount.[/quote]
In NYC? No way.[/quote]

There's also a BLINK fitness like 15 minutes away from CLS and that's literally the cheapest gym membership you could get, prices start at like $20 a month.[/quote]

Doesn't one of the on campus housing options have a gym? Any word on if it's any good? Apartment gyms are very hit-or-miss[/quote][/quote]

Ahhh that's a shame. I think my current apartment gym spoiled me. It's a pretty average place, but weirdly has an awesome, perpetually empty gym (I'm talking a full set of dumbbells, I'm talking TWO barbells, I'm talking a bench press, squat rack, cable machine, etc.). I guess NYSC is going to have to be the move? Maintaining a lifting routine is directly correlated to improved performance in all other areas of my life, so that's how I'm gonna rationalize that $60/month in law school.[/quote]

Wow thats quite amazing for an apartment gym! yes, nysc or blink seems to be the way to go!
Or you can plan to go to Dodge during random off hours to fully utilize the equipment

lnsl123

Bronze

Post by lnsl123 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:40 am

ottovon wrote:Anyone else have trouble accessing the online housing application? When I click the link (or any link that starts with facilities.columbia.edu) through the admitted students site I get a 404 Not Found error. If I add "www" in front I get a security warning and when I ignore it I get the same 404 error. Tried Chrome and Edge on Windows 10.
it could be an http vs. https issue. I think someone had trouble with that once.

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Post by CPA-->JD » Thu May 04, 2017 9:55 am

CPA-->JD wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:
Studybuddy17 wrote:

Try this:

Once downloaded, you can change anything in red. Let me know if I missed anything.
Did it work for you guys?

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Thu May 04, 2017 10:17 am

Last edited by texcellence on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Post by Stay-at-Home Son » Thu May 04, 2017 10:29 am

texcellence wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote: Try this:

Yes, thank you!!
Yeah it looks awesome, thanks so much!

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:39 am

Anyone know if you can apply for the federal loan and then not take it? Or are you committing yourself when you give in the paperwork. I don't want to miss the deadline, but also looking into other options.

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Post by CPA-->JD » Thu May 04, 2017 11:00 am

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:
texcellence wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote: Try this:

Yes, thank you!!
Yeah it looks awesome, thanks so much!
My pleasure! It really helped me sleep better knowing that the numbers could work if I get Big Law.

Let me know if there is anything I should add that you think might be useful.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Thu May 04, 2017 11:24 am

Last edited by texcellence on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blessup

New

Post by blessup » Thu May 04, 2017 1:07 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
ottovon wrote:Anyone else have trouble accessing the online housing application? When I click the link (or any link that starts with facilities.columbia.edu) through the admitted students site I get a 404 Not Found error. If I add "www" in front I get a security warning and when I ignore it I get the same 404 error. Tried Chrome and Edge on Windows 10.
it could be an http vs. https issue. I think someone had trouble with that once.
Yes. If you are using HTTPS Everywhere, the site won't load (not sure if my Privacy Badger and Disconnect also affected it). I ended up just using Edge to access the site and it worked fine.

01panm

New

Post by 01panm » Thu May 04, 2017 4:29 pm

texcellence wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:Anyone know if you can apply for the federal loan and then not take it? Or are you committing yourself when you give in the paperwork. I don't want to miss the deadline, but also looking into other options.
I pretty sure you can opt out of certain line items in the student budget but someone else might know better than I. Or maybe give finaid a call.
I'm pretty sure that applying for the loan means you are able to, but by no means required to, spend up to the limit. When the school gives you the loan money, there's a certain grace period (120 days? not sure) in which you can return unspent money without accruing interest on it.

Disclaimer: I got this all from UVA's ASD and not Columbia's, but I would expect that federal loans work the same way at all schools.

ottovon

New

Post by ottovon » Sat May 06, 2017 3:34 am

So people that are trying to live in UAH housing, are you indicating that you will not be requesting Law School Housing? I'd like to list my preferences as UAH, then the 400 block, then Lionsgate but it seems that if you list Law Building preferences they will prioritize those over UAH.

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Sat May 06, 2017 12:46 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:Me when I remember I'm going to Columbia: :D

Me when I look at my loan and income spreadsheets (which don't factor in any expected bonuses) and come to terms with my plan to pay $3,100 a month in loan repayments after graduation, increasing the monthly repayment amount by $100 each year, until 2029: :shock:
+180 so bad

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Sat May 06, 2017 12:48 pm

ottovon wrote:So people that are trying to live in UAH housing, are you indicating that you will not be requesting Law School Housing? I'd like to list my preferences as UAH, then the 400 block, then Lionsgate but it seems that if you list Law Building preferences they will prioritize those over UAH.
I guess the point is if you prefer UAH to the law building, then you will just get UAH as law accommodation is more demanded.

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Sat May 06, 2017 12:50 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:

One of these days I'm going to make a spreadsheet with projected income, expenses, and actual tax tables so I can sleep at little better knowing that I'm not crazy for doing this.
Here's a screenshot of my draft.

http://imgur.com/a/krtQk

Assumptions:
- I max out my 401k contribution at $20k a year (which is where the max annual contribution will probably be by then) and I get an employer match of my 401k contributions up to 5% of my gross salary.
- I put a few grand a year to a Roth IRA or other savings vehicle that I fund with pre-tax dollars as well as few grand in pre-tax dollars to my flexible spending account for health expenses.
- A 35% tax rate.
- Additional savings of $1K a month from my after-tax income in year 1, increasing steadily each year.
- Not factoring in bonuses, because it just makes people plan horribly. I learned that the hard way. Plus, the first year bonus is a stub year bonus, not the full amount. And if you lateral to another firm at some point but you get the timing wrong, you might lose out on a bonus from your old firm but not get the full-year bonus from the new firm.
-Assumes I take advantage of the full six-month grace period on loan repayment so I can aggressively save a bit in the summer and fall of 2020 before starting repayment basically at the start of 2021 (or in Nov/Dec 2020). That's why the spreadsheet starts with "2021".

Result:
In year 1, I'm left with $4,300 a month for my actual life (rent, discretionary spending, charitable giving, travel) and $3,100 per month for student loans.

If anyone's curious, this is based on financing my education with:
- My scholarship/tuition grant from CLS (basically a Butler)
-$12.5K saved each of my two summers (the most you can expect to save toward school expenses if you make $3.5K pre-tax per week, work 8 weeks, get taxed, and pay rent/living expenses over the summers using your summer income)
-Student loans for the rest

Can send you the spreadsheet if you want, though I'm sure yours would be better.
I thought the cap on annual Roth contributions was $5,500?

WordsworthIsBae

Bronze

Post by WordsworthIsBae » Sat May 06, 2017 12:56 pm

ottovon wrote:So people that are trying to live in UAH housing, are you indicating that you will not be requesting Law School Housing? I'd like to list my preferences as UAH, then the 400 block, then Lionsgate but it seems that if you list Law Building preferences they will prioritize those over UAH.
I don't think we have the option of applying for both and prioritizing one over the other. So yeah, I opted out of requesting law student housing to be considered for UAH.

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Sat May 06, 2017 1:01 pm

CA97 wrote:All a go for CLS!

1- Does anyone have any idea when we get housing assignments? (I realize the application deadline is May 15th.)

2- What is this Destination thread??? Late to the party
This was posted on the CLS 2020 FB group:

Applicants may expect housing approval and assignments to arrive via email during the assignment windows listed below.

Family lotteries: May 22 - 30
Couples lotteries: May 29 - June 2
Single student lotteries: June 1 - 25

Housing assignments can take up to two weeks after approval notification. Housing assignments will include the assigned housing unit address, cost of the unit, floor plan (if available), and the date of unit availability.

Note: Approved applicants will receive one housing assignment. UAH provides a five-day acceptance window, and students should contact UAH directly if an extension is needed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”