Columbia Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
17%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
14%
UAH apartments
41%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
16%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
12%

Total votes: 81

MrJD2020

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Post by MrJD2020 » Sat May 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Dr_OIT wrote: I thought the cap on annual Roth contributions was $5,500?
By 2020 or the mid-2020s I'm sure it'll be more, if only to keep up with inflation. That's why halfway through my chart I start maxing out the contribution using 6,500 as an estimate.

Though I think over a certain income you can't even contribute to it, unless you do a "backdoor roth" but I don't fully understand it and i am too lazy to look it up rn.

jb111

New

Post by jb111 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:30 pm

I'm curious as to why so many people went UAH in the poll. Is it just the price? You want to be mixed in with non-law students? You all know something about cockroach population habits that I don't?

I was leaning towards trying to get one of the cheapest apartment shares in one of the LS specific areas, but if so many law students will be in UAH, maybe I'll go with that. Also it's disappointing to hear about the shitty gym options. I was hoping my 1.5k a month for 1/3 of a box would get me access to some damn weights...

And I'm thinking that maybe I need to make a FB for the first time in quite a few years :shock: . Are Facebook groups/events/etc... a common way of coordinating activity in law school/at CLS (maybe a current student has insight here)?

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Mon May 08, 2017 8:38 pm

jb111 wrote:I'm curious as to why so many people went UAH in the poll. Is it just the price? You want to be mixed in with non-law students? You all know something about cockroach population habits that I don't?

I was leaning towards trying to get one of the cheapest apartment shares in one of the LS specific areas, but if so many law students will be in UAH, maybe I'll go with that. Also it's disappointing to hear about the shitty gym options. I was hoping my 1.5k a month for 1/3 of a box would get me access to some damn weights...

And I'm thinking that maybe I need to make a FB for the first time in quite a few years :shock: . Are Facebook groups/events/etc... a common way of coordinating activity in law school/at CLS (maybe a current student has insight here)?
Rarely. For some special events yes, and there are good summer housing Facebook groups, but it's not used that much.

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Mon May 08, 2017 8:54 pm

jb111 wrote:I'm curious as to why so many people went UAH in the poll. Is it just the price? You want to be mixed in with non-law students? You all know something about cockroach population habits that I don't?

If your priority is to meet other law students in your building, you may still want to opt for LS housing. I live in UAH, and while I live with another 1L, I only know one other 1L besides that in my building. I have friends in Lionsgate and Lenfest who met classmates on the same floor. There are definitely other law students in my building, but we're in the minority compared to other grad students. LS housing is also generally nicer than UAH housing (though perhaps not so much nicer as to justify the price differential). That said, I live a few doors down from many of my friends in my section, and within 2-3 blocks of many many others, so being in the same building is not as much a priority imo as it is at, say, Chicago. It's really not hard to walk to meet up with anyone living in any university housing other than Riverside.

For FB... eh, not altogether necessary, at least for me. I did not use it to meet other people, but then I had already met some people at ASW. You'll be able to meet people in your section without issue (and there will probably be a GroupMe for your section, not a bad idea to join). I think the only thing I got through the facebook group that I didn't get through emails was links to the textbook exchanges (which are useful depending on your professors). Also, facebook is useful for a few different student groups, who will use it as their primary means of in-group communication. But if you're looking for school-wide social events, you can find everything via email.

lnsl123

Bronze

Post by lnsl123 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:52 pm

When I visited CLS for admitted students days, the UAH apartments were all far superior in quality than LS housing IMO. I was depressed at the LS housing I saw, and when I saw UAH I was very surprised that anyone would prefer LS housing. The price of the LS housing also seemed absurd compared to what people in UAH were getting. I saw three bed and two bedroom shares.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

palalc

New

Post by palalc » Tue May 09, 2017 12:17 am

Currently applying for couples housing.

Does anyone know if applying for UAH or Law School Housing give me a better shot at getting a studio/1 bedroom? And the best shot at getting the greatest value? (Ie. Nicest place, lowest rent)

Which gives me a better shot at securing couples housing, listing studio or 1 bedroom as my first choice?

Does anyone have any further insight for how to preference the housing app?

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Tue May 09, 2017 12:31 am

lnsl123 wrote:When I visited CLS for admitted students days, the UAH apartments were all far superior in quality than LS housing IMO. I was depressed at the LS housing I saw, and when I saw UAH I was very surprised that anyone would prefer LS housing. The price of the LS housing also seemed absurd compared to what people in UAH were getting. I saw three bed and two bedroom shares.
I think I would agree that 115/116th street LS housing is no better, and probably worse, than most UAH. Lionsgate and Lenfest are noticeably nicer, but probably still not worth the extra expense (unless you are absolutely dead set on having a doorman, which I could understand).

Also, friendly reminder to get your apartments unfurnished. Take out some extra loans for your first year if you must to get some basic furniture, because otherwise you're paying more in the long run through higher rent to sleep on a dorm bed.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:42 am

Bearlyalive wrote:

If your priority is to meet other law students in your building, you may still want to opt for LS housing. I live in UAH, and while I live with another 1L, I only know one other 1L besides that in my building. I have friends in Lionsgate and Lenfest who met classmates on the same floor. There are definitely other law students in my building, but we're in the minority compared to other grad students. LS housing is also generally nicer than UAH housing (though perhaps not so much nicer as to justify the price differential). That said, I live a few doors down from many of my friends in my section, and within 2-3 blocks of many many others, so being in the same building is not as much a priority imo as it is at, say, Chicago. It's really not hard to walk to meet up with anyone living in any university housing other than Riverside.

For FB... eh, not altogether necessary, at least for me. I did not use it to meet other people, but then I had already met some people at ASW. You'll be able to meet people in your section without issue (and there will probably be a GroupMe for your section, not a bad idea to join). I think the only thing I got through the facebook group that I didn't get through emails was links to the textbook exchanges (which are useful depending on your professors). Also, facebook is useful for a few different student groups, who will use it as their primary means of in-group communication. But if you're looking for school-wide social events, you can find everything via email.

Do you think the ability to live and socialize with people from law school is worth doing law school housing?

My biggest problem is that I want a chance to snag an affordable studio, but all the law school housing studios are extremely pricey. If not a UAH studio I want to get an apartment share in Lionsgate, but I'm not sure how to make that known in the housing app.

Do you think it's possible I try my luck with the UAH app and studio, and then if I don't get it I'm going to email/call the housing department and try to get them to fit me into a law school apartment share?

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Tue May 09, 2017 10:37 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
Bearlyalive wrote:

Do you think the ability to live and socialize with people from law school is worth doing law school housing?

My biggest problem is that I want a chance to snag an affordable studio, but all the law school housing studios are extremely pricey. If not a UAH studio I want to get an apartment share in Lionsgate, but I'm not sure how to make that known in the housing app.

Do you think it's possible I try my luck with the UAH app and studio, and then if I don't get it I'm going to email/call the housing department and try to get them to fit me into a law school apartment share?
I don't live in law school housing, so unfortunately I can't give the best perspective on its benefits re socializing. But I have not personally felt any social disadvantage living in UAH. The only thing I'm jealous of is the people on 116th who can roll out of bed 2 minutes before class and not be late. My walk is more like 6 minutes (the horror).

Worst come to worst you can always ask them to reassign you if you don't get a UAH studio. One of my friends got two reassignments and ended up in Lionsgate. I haven't had personal interactions with them, but I've heard that housing is very responsive and helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yesboi

New

Post by yesboi » Tue May 09, 2017 12:15 pm

Does anyone know the difference between 403 W 115th St., 411 W 115th St., 415 W 115th St., 419 W 115th St. and 420 W 116th St? The housing website only distinguishes this group of buildings as "law student" buildings, but for the housing application I have to rank them in order of preference. Are they all basically the same?

mmestik

New

Post by mmestik » Tue May 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Also, do you have a higher chance of getting a 2 bedroom share vs 3 or 4 bedroom share in UAH if you choose a higher upper range for max price? Anyone know the actual difference between a 1200 upper limit and 1600 upper limit?

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Tue May 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Someone created a CLS c/o 2020 FB group. Sharing here if anyone wants to join:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/647111015485041/

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Bearlyalive wrote:

I don't live in law school housing, so unfortunately I can't give the best perspective on its benefits re socializing. But I have not personally felt any social disadvantage living in UAH. The only thing I'm jealous of is the people on 116th who can roll out of bed 2 minutes before class and not be late. My walk is more like 6 minutes (the horror).

Worst come to worst you can always ask them to reassign you if you don't get a UAH studio. One of my friends got two reassignments and ended up in Lionsgate. I haven't had personal interactions with them, but I've heard that housing is very responsive and helpful.

Ugh, this is hard. Because if I set law school housing from the get-go I can find and put a roommate's name in. With studio as my priority I'm wary of putting anyone as a roommate, so as not to signal to the housing office that I"m ok with not having a studio.

When you applied UAH did you find someone and enter them into the application beforehand?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Wed May 10, 2017 9:41 am

Thelaw23 wrote:

Ugh, this is hard. Because if I set law school housing from the get-go I can find and put a roommate's name in. With studio as my priority I'm wary of putting anyone as a roommate, so as not to signal to the housing office that I"m ok with not having a studio.

When you applied UAH did you find someone and enter them into the application beforehand?
Yeah, I did. I was also trying for a UAH studio, but I put my preferred roommate's name down as well. Didn't get the studio, did get a two-bedroom with him. But I also did not try at all for LS housing (outside my budget).

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:00 pm

Is the thread over ? I keep on checking a few times a day.

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Thu May 11, 2017 8:19 pm

lawdude31 wrote:Is the thread over ? I keep on checking a few times a day.
Haha me too.
Can anybody explain the differences between lecture and seminar courses? Most IP courses are offered as seminars at CLS. :idea:

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Thu May 11, 2017 8:39 pm

hellohalo wrote:
Haha me too.
Can anybody explain the differences between lecture and seminar courses? Most IP courses are offered as seminars at CLS. :idea:
Generally, seminars are small/medium-sized groups around a table with a professor discussing more specific, substantive questions. Lectures are much larger classes in what you might consider to be a more stereotypical law school classroom (Socratic method may or may not be used :) ). I tend to enjoy seminar classes more, so it's great to hear that most IP classes are structured that way... What kind of IP are you interested in?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DogsAndWriting

New

Post by DogsAndWriting » Thu May 11, 2017 8:43 pm

Yup, this thread is failing in its job of helping me procrastinate on finals. Also, lol @ my grades this semester. It's like as soon as I deposited, any motivation I had for this semester completely evaporated.

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Thu May 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Dr_OIT wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
Haha me too.
Generally, seminars are small/medium-sized groups around a table with a professor discussing more specific, substantive questions. Lectures are much larger classes in what you might consider to be a more stereotypical law school classroom (Socratic method may or may not be used :) ). I tend to enjoy seminar classes more, so it's great to hear that most IP classes are structured that way... What kind of IP are you interested in?
Thank you for the info! Patent law is what I want to practice. Also interested international IP and some copyright. You into IP too?

I believe interactive specific seminar style class will provide adequate knowledge. But I'd appreciate more fundamental stereotype lectures on IP courses to build a solid foundation. Hope I'm not too ignorant.

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Thu May 11, 2017 11:33 pm

hellohalo wrote:
Dr_OIT wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
Haha me too.
Thank you for the info! Patent law is what I want to practice. Also interested international IP and some copyright. You into IP too?

I believe interactive specific seminar style class will provide adequate knowledge. But I'd appreciate more fundamental stereotype lectures on IP courses to build a solid foundation. Hope I'm not too ignorant.
Cool! I'm looking more into copyright/trademark. And I'd love to get an international perspective on that too, but not really looking into patent law. (No science background :wink: ). From what I can tell, there are definitely the standard IP lecture classes, e.g. Copyright, Trademarks... Some lectures are usually prereqs for seminars, I believe.

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Thu May 11, 2017 11:40 pm

Dr_OIT wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
Dr_OIT wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
Haha me too.

Cool! I'm looking more into copyright/trademark. And I'd love to get an international perspective on that too, but not really looking into patent law. (No science background :wink: ). From what I can tell, there are definitely the standard IP lecture classes, e.g. Copyright, Trademarks... Some lectures are usually prereqs for seminars, I believe.
Then we'll come across each other in the copyright class, if not earlier. :mrgreen:
NYU has a more systematic IP offering, hopefully I can take a course there in the third year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Fri May 12, 2017 12:15 am

hellohalo wrote:
Dr_OIT wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
Dr_OIT wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
Haha me too.

Then we'll come across each other in the copyright class, if not earlier. :mrgreen:
NYU has a more systematic IP offering, hopefully I can take a course there in the third year.
Yes! I know NYU has an International IP course, which I thought of when you mentioned int'l :). Professor is Dreyfuss, I think, and she's pretty big in IP circles. What's great is that CLS and NYU let you take 1 course at the other during your three years, so I've thought of that too.

mdu

New

Post by mdu » Fri May 12, 2017 12:25 am

Another prospective IP lawyer here 8) Did not know about that NYU thing... Sounds great!
BTW does anyone know if we have any say in our first semester classes/schedules?

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Fri May 12, 2017 12:29 am

mdu wrote:Another prospective IP lawyer here 8) Did not know about that NYU thing... Sounds great!
BTW does anyone know if we have any say in our first semester classes/schedules?
Zero. We get our schedules at orientation lol. It's the standard courseload at virtually any law school though. 1L spring, we can pick one elective from a specific menu.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Fri May 12, 2017 8:25 am

Haha. Everything has just slowed down now, I think. Now that we've deposited and are waiting for housing and getting all our paperwork in and such there's not much to talk about...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”