Columbia Class of 2020

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
9
15%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
9
15%
UAH apartments
29
48%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
7
12%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
6
10%
 
Total votes: 60

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 738
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:30 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I want to know where I will be living already :x :x :x


Worst case scenario there is always room on my couch Law. You will have to share with Hudson though.


Are you telling me you already have your couch?!?!

skigirl3136
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:27 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby skigirl3136 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:13 pm

Are any of you planning to do LEEWS over the summer? So many mixed reviews on TLS and it seems like the helpfulness of it varies greatly depending on your school

User avatar
Leliana
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Leliana » Wed May 17, 2017 2:52 pm

skigirl3136 wrote:Are any of you planning to do LEEWS over the summer? So many mixed reviews on TLS and it seems like the helpfulness of it varies greatly depending on your school


Nah. My plan is to chill as hard as possible in the time between quitting my job and school, lol. Everyone I know in law school has told me not to do any prep over the summer.

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 738
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:07 pm

skigirl3136 wrote:Are any of you planning to do LEEWS over the summer? So many mixed reviews on TLS and it seems like the helpfulness of it varies greatly depending on your school



+180

User avatar
hellohalo
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby hellohalo » Thu May 18, 2017 11:07 pm

skigirl3136 wrote:Are any of you planning to do LEEWS over the summer? So many mixed reviews on TLS and it seems like the helpfulness of it varies greatly depending on your school


Then what about the helpfulness at Columbia, since this is the thread of Columbia? :mrgreen:

lawdude31
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby lawdude31 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:02 am

hellohalo wrote:
skigirl3136 wrote:Are any of you planning to do LEEWS over the summer? So many mixed reviews on TLS and it seems like the helpfulness of it varies greatly depending on your school


Then what about the helpfulness at Columbia, since this is the thread of Columbia? :mrgreen:

From what I saw online about leews, it seems like the better the school you're going to the less it will help, since the quality of the other students will be higher. And the method that leews teaches you won't work as well because it's likely that the other students are more capable of righting a coherent, useful argument even without leews in a better school than a worse one. And since the quality of students at Columbia is so high...... :)

texcellence
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby texcellence » Fri May 19, 2017 1:43 pm

can confirm housing assignments are coming out.

User avatar
Leliana
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Leliana » Fri May 19, 2017 2:13 pm

texcellence wrote:can confirm housing assignments are coming out.


Already? :shock:

User avatar
jjcorvino
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby jjcorvino » Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Leliana wrote:
texcellence wrote:can confirm housing assignments are coming out.


Already? :shock:


When?!?!

User avatar
jjcorvino
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby jjcorvino » Fri May 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I want to know where I will be living already :x :x :x


Worst case scenario there is always room on my couch Law. You will have to share with Hudson though.


Are you telling me you already have your couch?!?!


I am waiting to see on Columbia housing, but my fiance's dad is in real estate and has some good deals in NYC. One apartment I really love the location.

texcellence
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby texcellence » Fri May 19, 2017 4:35 pm

.
Last edited by texcellence on Fri May 19, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jjcorvino
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby jjcorvino » Fri May 19, 2017 4:36 pm

texcellence wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Leliana wrote:
texcellence wrote:can confirm housing assignments are coming out.


Already? :shock:


When?!?!


I got mine this afternoon. a 1br at 420 w. 116th (i opted for couples housing, which comes out before everyone else's) but will likely keep looking off campus.


Where do you see the assignment? On the housing website?

texcellence
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby texcellence » Fri May 19, 2017 4:38 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
texcellence wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Leliana wrote:
texcellence wrote:can confirm housing assignments are coming out.


Already? :shock:


When?!?!


I got mine this afternoon. a 1br at 420 w. 116th (i opted for couples housing, which comes out before everyone else's) but will likely keep looking off campus.


Where do you see the assignment? On the housing website?


nah i got an email with the details. you can log in but no .pdf of the specific floorplan is available.

User avatar
jjcorvino
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby jjcorvino » Fri May 19, 2017 4:39 pm

texcellence wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
texcellence wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Leliana wrote:
texcellence wrote:can confirm housing assignments are coming out.


Already? :shock:


When?!?!


I got mine this afternoon. a 1br at 420 w. 116th (i opted for couples housing, which comes out before everyone else's) but will likely keep looking off campus.


Where do you see the assignment? On the housing website?


nah i got an email with the details. you can log in but no .pdf of the specific floorplan is available.


Ugh, super jealous. Just looked at the website and it doesn't even look like my application is under review.

User avatar
Leliana
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Leliana » Fri May 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Aww man mine's not under review yet either.

User avatar
2020Hopeful
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:20 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby 2020Hopeful » Sun May 21, 2017 12:06 pm

texcellence wrote:.



when did they ask about "documentation" for your couple status (marriage certificate, joint bank account, etc). I applied to couples housing and it says "my application has been approved" but they never asked for documentation and I have yet to get an assignment

User avatar
hellohalo
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby hellohalo » Mon May 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Leliana wrote:Aww man mine's not under review yet either.


Single?

palalc
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:29 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby palalc » Mon May 22, 2017 9:54 pm

2020Hopeful wrote:
texcellence wrote:.



when did they ask about "documentation" for your couple status (marriage certificate, joint bank account, etc). I applied to couples housing and it says "my application has been approved" but they never asked for documentation and I have yet to get an assignment


According to the housing website, they ask at the lease signing.

User avatar
Leliana
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Leliana » Tue May 23, 2017 8:41 am

hellohalo wrote:
Leliana wrote:Aww man mine's not under review yet either.


Single?


Yeah. Now that I'm looking back at the posts, I missed the part where couples housing comes out first. :P So I feel better now, haha.

User avatar
jjcorvino
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby jjcorvino » Tue May 23, 2017 12:22 pm

Just got my housing assignment, 530 Riverside Dr, #3C. Anybody have any information about the building? Preferably pictures?

I still can't believe people will rent apartments without even seeing them. How hard is it to have pictures of a sample apartment in each building?!

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Tue May 23, 2017 2:19 pm

jjcorvino wrote:Just got my housing assignment, 530 Riverside Dr, #3C. Anybody have any information about the building? Preferably pictures?

I still can't believe people will rent apartments without even seeing them. How hard is it to have pictures of a sample apartment in each building?!


ooh that's nice! good location, like a 12 min walk probably to campus. it's a columbia-owned property, built in the 1920s. probs old but that's typical. only 6 floors. i'm working on finding you pictures via my contacts in ny real estate.

but holy shit I got sidetracked while doing that pointless research and landed at the avalon website for the one on morningside. studios starting at $3k. a pricey monthly mortgage for an uptown shoe box. I simply cannot.

User avatar
jjcorvino
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby jjcorvino » Tue May 23, 2017 2:25 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:Just got my housing assignment, 530 Riverside Dr, #3C. Anybody have any information about the building? Preferably pictures?

I still can't believe people will rent apartments without even seeing them. How hard is it to have pictures of a sample apartment in each building?!


ooh that's nice! good location, like a 12 min walk probably to campus. it's a columbia-owned property, built in the 1920s. probs old but that's typical. only 6 floors. i'm working on finding you pictures via my contacts in ny real estate.

but holy shit I got sidetracked while doing that pointless research and landed at the avalon website for the one on morningside. studios starting at $3k. a pricey monthly mortgage for an uptown shoe box. I simply cannot.


That would be amazing Sybill! Yeah, the location looks nice but I just don't feel good about going into a place that I haven't seen. Unfortunately I am on the inside of the building, so my view is looking at the next door building.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Tue May 23, 2017 2:29 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:Just got my housing assignment, 530 Riverside Dr, #3C. Anybody have any information about the building? Preferably pictures?

I still can't believe people will rent apartments without even seeing them. How hard is it to have pictures of a sample apartment in each building?!


ooh that's nice! good location, like a 12 min walk probably to campus. it's a columbia-owned property, built in the 1920s. probs old but that's typical. only 6 floors. i'm working on finding you pictures via my contacts in ny real estate.

but holy shit I got sidetracked while doing that pointless research and landed at the avalon website for the one on morningside. studios starting at $3k. a pricey monthly mortgage for an uptown shoe box. I simply cannot.


That would be amazing Sybill! Yeah, the location looks nice but I just don't feel good about going into a place that I haven't seen. Unfortunately I am on the inside of the building, so my view is looking at the next door building.


I was gonna say did you at least get a street view, ugh! well it isn't going to be bad, I'm from the area and can tell you there's nothing to worry about. just get excited!

still, I totally get you as far as not seeing what you're getting into. I will say that this is a blessing in disguise, maybe. ny landlords are notorious for giving a grand total of zero fucks wrt complaints/maintenance requests. you likely won't face that in university housing so that's a plus? just trying to find silver linings for you

User avatar
jjcorvino
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby jjcorvino » Tue May 23, 2017 2:32 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:Just got my housing assignment, 530 Riverside Dr, #3C. Anybody have any information about the building? Preferably pictures?

I still can't believe people will rent apartments without even seeing them. How hard is it to have pictures of a sample apartment in each building?!


ooh that's nice! good location, like a 12 min walk probably to campus. it's a columbia-owned property, built in the 1920s. probs old but that's typical. only 6 floors. i'm working on finding you pictures via my contacts in ny real estate.

but holy shit I got sidetracked while doing that pointless research and landed at the avalon website for the one on morningside. studios starting at $3k. a pricey monthly mortgage for an uptown shoe box. I simply cannot.


That would be amazing Sybill! Yeah, the location looks nice but I just don't feel good about going into a place that I haven't seen. Unfortunately I am on the inside of the building, so my view is looking at the next door building.


I was gonna say did you at least get a street view, ugh! well it isn't going to be bad, I'm from the area and can tell you there's nothing to worry about. just get excited!

still, I totally get you as far as not seeing what you're getting into. I will say that this is a blessing in disguise, maybe. ny landlords are notorious for giving a grand total of zero fucks wrt complaints/maintenance requests. you likely won't face that in university housing so that's a plus? just trying to find silver linings for you


Ha, I get you. I am trying to decide whether we want to do it. My fiancee's dad works in NY real estate, so he has some good contacts and we are able to get a few rental deals. Luckily I don't think we would have a problem if we want to find other accommodations, but that makes this decision harder.

User avatar
Leliana
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Leliana » Tue May 23, 2017 3:02 pm

jjcorvino wrote:Just got my housing assignment, 530 Riverside Dr, #3C. Anybody have any information about the building? Preferably pictures?

I still can't believe people will rent apartments without even seeing them. How hard is it to have pictures of a sample apartment in each building?!


Damn, a friend of mine lives in Columbia housing on the same block and for a second I thought I could help. But he's in 548 Riverside (different building - looks similar in terms of date built/size though). It is definitely a nice location. Close to the park and to the 1 train, easy walk to campus.

When do you have to accept by? I could try my best to check out 530 next time I'm hanging with aforementioned friend.




Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests