Columbia Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
17%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
14%
UAH apartments
41%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
16%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
12%

Total votes: 81

New

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Post by 419419 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:13 pm

smilingorch wrote:
419419 wrote:This might be a dumb question since no one here seems to have any problems about it, but I don't quite understand the financial aid package I received: do I HAVE TO take up loans in order to accept the need/merit based aid? What if I don't need loans? Thx!
No; they're giving you merit aid and then showing you how much in federal stafford loans you're eligible for without anyone needing to take a look at your credit score...it will still affect your credit score however. Anything not covered by those two things or your own money can be met with outside loans (govt., bank, etc). You don't have to accept the stafford loans. In fact, they need your permission to sign you up for those
oh thanks that's really helpful!
Last edited by 419419 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DogsAndWriting

New

Post by DogsAndWriting » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:19 pm

JUST DEPOSITED. Also ordered all the CLS merch I could find at the online bookstore (so only the hat and the hoodie), which is sort of like sending a deposit into the court of public opinion.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:21 pm

DogsAndWriting wrote:JUST DEPOSITED. Also ordered all the CLS merch I could find at the online bookstore (so only the hat and the hoodie), which is sort of like sending a deposit into the court of public opinion.
Congrats!!! Off to destinations thread with you!

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:57 pm

419419 wrote:This might be a dumb question since no one here seems to have any problems about it, but I don't quite understand the financial aid package I received: do I HAVE TO take up loans in order to accept the need/merit based aid? What if I don't need loans? Thx!
I'm confused too. I'm international, so it says the grant is offered based on expecting me to take on that much private loan. I wonder if that loan is school loan or commercial private loan. I have to call them and figure it out on Monday I guess.

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:00 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:
hellohalo wrote:Responding to the poll: I cannot afford to live in law school housing :? :|
Is a shared law school apt more expensive than other options? What's the cheaper alternative?
Yea lawschool housing is generally like $300 more per month. Cheaper alternative is university general housing. You can find these out on the housing application site.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

enoca

Bronze

Post by enoca » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:39 am

Thelaw23 wrote:You tried to leverage Columbia for more money by telling them you're at 2 HYS waitlists?
Is that a thing???

I really don't think it is because the chances of getting off any WL are pretty low.
Given the size and makeup of H's WL, I have to assume a huge number of Columbia admits are on the WL. I don't see how it would be important to CLS at all.

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:02 am

enoca wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:You tried to leverage Columbia for more money by telling them you're at 2 HYS waitlists?
Is that a thing???

I really don't think it is because the chances of getting off any WL are pretty low.
Given the size and makeup of H's WL, I have to assume a huge number of Columbia admits are on the WL. I don't see how it would be important to CLS at all.
Ultimately none of us actually know with certainty what is important to CLS admissions/financial aid.

I think it would have been downright stupid to not at least try. I don't think it's "laughable" as someone above suggested. Asking for a bit more aid, even without "leverage" (as it's typically considered in the context of financial aid requests) doesn't seem much crazier to me than applying to such a competitive school in the first place. Check out the applicants thread if you disagree.

Even with good grades, tons of people don't get into CLS in the first place, and even with great competing offers, tons of people don't get increased aid. So why not work with what you've got regardless, whatever it is, even if other people tell you you've got no shot?

It's pretty weird to me that people would find my attempt so foolish when all of us know that so much of the admissions process and financial aid process is a crapshoot.

Yes, it's a long shot, but so is most of what we're doing in life at this point and going forward. Trying to get *super-good* grades, trying to get an offer from a *specific* top firm you really want to work for (rather than just any great firm), trying to get a *specific* prestigious clerkship...do you guys really think the chances of accomplishing any of those goals are high when you're competing with 400 other classmates at CLS or TWO THOUSAND other c/o 2020 students from the T6 alone?

Spoiler alert: THEY'RE NOT. But it should not matter!!!

I don't think any of us should have the attitude of "chances are low so why bother?" It isn't how any of us have gotten this far and it'll get us nowhere fast. I don't know about you guys, but I plan on encouraging my future classmates to make an effort and have some hope, even when everyone else tells them that the prospects of accomplishing their goals are low.

fortunecookie1

New

Post by fortunecookie1 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:21 am

Deposited!! See you all in August!

By the way, if anyone is interested in finding a female roommate for a UAH apartment share (gotta keep COL as low as possible), PM me!

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:44 am

MrJD2020 wrote:
enoca wrote:
Is that a thing???

Ultimately none of us actually know with certainty what is important to CLS admissions/financial aid.
The worst they can say is no. They're not going to rescind your offer just because you ask for more, so it's worth a shot. Who knows, they may have even planned on giving you more. Another T13 made an initial offering and then less than a week later, followed up with an increase in their aid offer without me ever even negotiating. Who knows--maybe funds have freed up or there is something super special about you in your app that would make them really want you and willing to bite..

I'm more inclined to think if they do offer you more, it'll be for other reasons besides your WL activity but at any rate...good luck! :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

enoca

Bronze

Post by enoca » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:46 am

MrJD2020 wrote:[It's pretty weird to me that people would find my attempt so foolish when all of us know that so much of the admissions process and financial aid process is a crapshoot.
More power to you, buddy. Hope it works. Maybe you'll get in off one of the WL's and then you can really try squeeze them. :D

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:24 am

So Columbia's gym SUCKS according to students at ASD, and Yelp, and everyone I've asked who goes to Columbia.

I currently pay $$$ to go to Equinox but that's just irresponsible while taking out student loans so I'll be quitting at the end of the summer.

What are your plans?

NYSC on 124th is the closest decent gym, but it's on the east side of Morningside Park, which I've been told is sketchy as f**k, especially at night.

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Post by Stay-at-Home Son » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:46 am

MrJD2020 wrote:So Columbia's gym SUCKS according to students at ASD, and Yelp, and everyone I've asked who goes to Columbia.

I currently pay $$$ to go to Equinox but that's just irresponsible while taking out student loans so I'll be quitting at the end of the summer.

What are your plans?

NYSC on 124th is the closest decent gym, but it's on the east side of Morningside Park, which I've been told is sketchy as f**k, especially at night.
Arms: high-rep casebook curls
Core: jolting out of nightmares about forgetting to turn in an assignment
Cardio: late-to-class panic sprints

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:04 am

MrJD2020 wrote:So Columbia's gym SUCKS according to students at ASD, and Yelp, and everyone I've asked who goes to Columbia.

What are your plans?

East side of morningside is supposed to be sketchy? I only went during the day but it looked like a great neighborhood.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:27 am

jjcorvino wrote:

What are your plans?

East side of morningside is supposed to be sketchy? I only went during the day but it looked like a great neighborhood.
The park closes at 10 PM I believe, but I've heard from multiple people that live in law school housing that going through that park after sunset/the other side of that park at night is sketchy AF and there's a ton of crime. I think it's supposed to be ok during the day though. You'll see lots of people and little kids hanging out there during sunlight hours

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:38 am

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:

What are your plans?

+100000

But seriously, there's NYSC nearby so if Dodge sucks as much as people say it does I might sign up for that. One of my pet peeves are gyms that suck/too crowded. I want to be able to workout at whatever time I want without having to wait for 3 people to finish benching before I can start.

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:

What are your plans?

+100000

But seriously, there's NYSC nearby so if Dodge sucks as much as people say it does I might sign up for that. One of my pet peeves are gyms that suck/too crowded. I want to be able to workout at whatever time I want without having to wait for 3 people to finish benching before I can start.
Agreed. How much does NYSC go for?

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:57 pm

lawdude31 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:

What are your plans?

+100000

Not sure but I think between 50 and 100 a month, definitely less than 100, and maybe (hopefully!) they have a student discount.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:23 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:

What are your plans?

+100000

Not sure but I think between 50 and 100 a month, definitely less than 100, and maybe (hopefully!) they have a student discount.
In NYC? No way.

champstick

New

Post by champstick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:28 pm

/
Last edited by champstick on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

champstick

New

Post by champstick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:32 pm

Last edited by champstick on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:42 am

champstick wrote:Also, does anyone know if the deposit is due by midnight tonight or the end of the day tomorrow? I'm still waiting on a response for my scholarship renegotiation, but don't want to miss the deadline either.

Well, it's due May 1. After midnight, it will be May 2.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:50 am

lawdude31 wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:

What are your plans?

+100000

In NYC? No way.
NYSC can't be more than 60 a month. Back in the day I had like a $30 a month student membership from them.

There's also a BLINK fitness like 15 minutes away from CLS and that's literally the cheapest gym membership you could get, prices start at like $20 a month.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Mon May 01, 2017 9:36 am

Really hope I can figure out the gym situation too. I'm also at Equinox now and it's totally spoiled me... it doesn't sound like anywhere around CLS is particularly great for lifting :(

tomgirl

New

Post by tomgirl » Mon May 01, 2017 9:37 am

When do we get our UNI / can we activate it? How long did it take after paying your deposit?

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Mon May 01, 2017 9:40 am

Leliana wrote:Really hope I can figure out the gym situation too. I'm also at Equinox now and it's totally spoiled me... it doesn't sound like anywhere around CLS is particularly great for lifting :(
There's the weightlifting club, Maximus Gravitus. I wonder where they lift?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”