Columbia Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
17%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
14%
UAH apartments
41%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
16%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
12%

Total votes: 81

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Post by Rich Uncle Skeleton » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:49 pm

dwall1121 wrote:hi everyone! just got accepted last thursday (woo!!) but am a little late to the financial aid forms game. If I dont qualify for need based aid because of my parents or whatever and wont be taking out any loans do I still have to fill in all those forms and send in all the tax stuff? Was unclear if that all was required to receive merit aid as well or if that was only for need aid. Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I am a little lost with all of this!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

+1 also did most people email their tax forms in? I submitted my questionnaire that way and never got a response.

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:44 pm

Rich Uncle Skeleton wrote:
dwall1121 wrote:hi everyone! just got accepted last thursday (woo!!) but am a little late to the financial aid forms game. If I dont qualify for need based aid because of my parents or whatever and wont be taking out any loans do I still have to fill in all those forms and send in all the tax stuff? Was unclear if that all was required to receive merit aid as well or if that was only for need aid. Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I am a little lost with all of this!

+1 also did most people email their tax forms in? I submitted my questionnaire that way and never got a response.

You have to do the entire grant application for non-named merit aid. They combine need/merit into one application.

I mailed paperwork through snail mail, but that was weeks ago. You could always fax or email.

dwall1121

New

Post by dwall1121 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:05 pm

AFtoLawschool wrote:
Rich Uncle Skeleton wrote:

You have to do the entire grant application for non-named merit aid. They combine need/merit into one application.

I mailed paperwork through snail mail, but that was weeks ago. You could always fax or email.
By entire grant application is that just the tax forms, CSS, and financial aid questionnaire, or is FAFSA required to receive non named merit aid too?

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:54 pm

That's a great question, I would call them and see what they say.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 am

Good morning fam, everybody excited for the ASP this week?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2020Hopeful

New

Post by 2020Hopeful » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:54 pm

also interested in knowing the answer, I emailed the financial aid office asking this a few days ago but they haven't gotten back to me yet

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Previous years seem to indicate that you have to submit all the financial aid paperwork to be considered for any sort of aid, unfortunately. It can't hurt to call and ask though.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:11 pm

2020Hopeful wrote:

also interested in knowing the answer, I emailed the financial aid office asking this a few days ago but they haven't gotten back to me yet
I have heard and read that you need to fill out all the forms for an offer. Also, I would recommend calling the Financial Aid Office instead of emailing them. It takes them a really long time to get back to you.

d39524s

New

Post by d39524s » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:17 pm

How long did it take to fill out all the financial aid forms? I'm clearly a bit behind the 8 ball here :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:24 pm

d39524s wrote:How long did it take to fill out all the financial aid forms? I'm clearly a bit behind the 8 ball here :)
FAQ - 15 minutes. FAFSA is honestly not that long, maybe 30 minutes - an hour. CSS kills you, though. It asks for really detailed information about companies/businesses your parents are associated with. That one is probably 1 - 2 hours. It all really depends on your and your parents tax returns.
Then it also takes a while to collect all the income tax returns/W-2's and send it in to CLS.

I sent them W-2 Summary which is at the end of my tax returns, I'm not sure if that will work and if they will ask me for the actual W-2s.

confusia

New

Post by confusia » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
2020Hopeful wrote:

I have heard and read that you need to fill out all the forms for an offer. Also, I would recommend calling the Financial Aid Office instead of emailing them. It takes them a really long time to get back to you.
My understanding was that all merit aid decisions were made at the time of admission, and that all applications now are for need-based aid. At least, that's what the woman who answered my call at the Financial Aid office led me to believe...

Does someone want to correct me? Concerned now because I gave up on the apps since I figured I didn't stand a chance for need-based aid.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:42 pm

confusia wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
2020Hopeful wrote:

My understanding was that all merit aid decisions were made at the time of admission, and that all applications now are for need-based aid. At least, that's what the woman who answered my call at the Financial Aid office led me to believe...

Does someone want to correct me? Concerned now because I gave up on the apps since I figured I didn't stand a chance for need-based aid.

The thing is, the only scholarships that I have heard people got at the time of admission have been named scholarships: Butler/Hammy. I am pretty sure the school is also supposed to offer other scholarship offers which don't fall into those categories.

anrf1225

New

Post by anrf1225 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:44 pm

Last edited by anrf1225 on Tue May 23, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:04 pm

anrf1225 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
confusia wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
2020Hopeful wrote:

The thing is, the only scholarships that I have heard people got at the time of admission have been named scholarships: Butler/Hammy. I am pretty sure the school is also supposed to offer other scholarship offers which don't fall into those categories.
ive heard that even though they say its technically need based aid, its much more correlated with gpa/lsat than it is with actual need

The irony in the fact that they're one of the only schools to ask for so much in-detail tax information (all the tax documents faxed to them)

jackstraw92

New

Post by jackstraw92 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:08 pm

does anyone know whether it's better to wait for an initial aid offer before beginning negotiations or to send other offer letters now? I got my award from NYU this weekend and don't know if I should send it to Columbia's financial aid office yet. Based on past years it looks like Columbia doesn't make non-named aid offers until around April..

dwall1121

New

Post by dwall1121 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:42 pm

anrf1225 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
confusia wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
2020Hopeful wrote:

ive heard that even though they say its technically need based aid, its much more correlated with gpa/lsat than it is with actual need
This also might be the dumbest question on this whole forum (but better safe than sorry to ask); does filling out these forms or not have any impact on my admission? Like if I don't get them in can they pull my offer? I'm still in undergrad and my parents are traveling out of the country for the week so I'm just thinking it might be next to impossible to gather all of these forms and get them in myself in the next few days haha

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:50 pm

dwall1121 wrote:
anrf1225 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
confusia wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
2020Hopeful wrote:

This also might be the dumbest question on this whole forum (but better safe than sorry to ask); does filling out these forms or not have any impact on my admission? Like if I don't get them in can they pull my offer? I'm still in undergrad and my parents are traveling out of the country for the week so I'm just thinking it might be next to impossible to gather all of these forms and get them in myself in the next few days haha

I would call and talk to them, but I think it is highly unlikely. Worst case scenario is, if you miss several deadlines and troll with these forms they might make you pay sticker and not allow you to take out any loans/grants. But seriously, just call the Financial Aid Office and tell them this. They will probably tell you to send in and complete what you can and send in the other stuff whenever you can.

Edit: I don't remember if I said this or not, but congrats!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

2020Hopeful

New

Post by 2020Hopeful » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:08 pm

What are people wearing to ASP (specifically women)? Are the reception in the evening nicer? I'm assuming I don't need to wear a suit just to go to mock classes....

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:11 pm

2020Hopeful wrote:What are people wearing to ASP (specifically women)? Are the reception in the evening nicer? I'm assuming I don't need to wear a suit just to go to mock classes....
I mean are you planning on changing between the reception and the classes?

I'm wearing blazer/jean/button down - guy.

I also hope they have an open bar at the reception again hehehe

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:15 pm

2020Hopeful wrote:What are people wearing to ASP (specifically women)? Are the reception in the evening nicer? I'm assuming I don't need to wear a suit just to go to mock classes....
I was planning on wearing black jeans with a nicer top, or a dress, with flats or low booties. Something comfortable but not jeans-and-a-t-shirt level of casual.

Though I just checked the weather and it's supposed to thunderstorm Wednesday so I might break out the rain boots.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Bronze

Post by Rich Uncle Skeleton » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Did anyone figure out where the columbia Id is? I sent mine in without it and wrote a note asking about it but never got a response.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Rich Uncle Skeleton wrote:Did anyone figure out where the columbia Id is? I sent mine in without it and wrote a note asking about it but never got a response.
I was told we don't need it since first year applicants don't need to fill out page 3.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:36 am

I am planning on wearing nicer jeans, button down and sport coat for the first day (because of the reception) and the second day just wear whatever I want.

Anyone else in section 1?

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:14 am

jjcorvino wrote:Anyone else in section 1?
I'm section 3 :(

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:23 am

Section 4 here.

If anybody wants to kick it during the reception or has any questions about NYC (I lived here my whole life), shoot me a PM.

Excited for tomorrow! My mock class professor is a former AUSA and teaches Federal Criminal Law (which coincides with my dream goals).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”