Columbia Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
17%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
14%
UAH apartments
41%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
16%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
12%

Total votes: 81

IlovePorzingis

New

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Post by IlovePorzingis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:10 pm

texcellence wrote:
IlovePorzingis wrote:
gizmo1024 wrote:
IlovePorzingis wrote:Is there a class of 2020 Facebook group yet?
Not yet. Someone should start one. Not it!
Fine, here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/647111015485041/. Everyone join please and thank you :).
YAY

lol @ the group tag. i resent that. http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/i-am-fun-51731
lollll open to suggestions. didn't feel like thinking about it right now. but pls join! i couldn't actually start the group without adding at least one person so right now the group is just my sister and me. goodbye, anonymity.

erwuxvcm

New

Post by erwuxvcm » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:40 pm

People who negotiated successfully (or even unsuccessfully), did you email? If so, was it just the financial aid office? Just got my award and responded, but worrying about hearing before Friday (deadline at another school) and tempted to call if I don't hear soon.

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:33 pm

erwuxvcm wrote:People who negotiated successfully (or even unsuccessfully), did you email? If so, was it just the financial aid office? Just got my award and responded, but worrying about hearing before Friday (deadline at another school) and tempted to call if I don't hear soon.
No harm in calling.

Man this is a crazy week. Trying to get money from other places in the next day or two so I can then ask C for more and get an answer one way or another by May 1. My goodness.

champstick

New

Post by champstick » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Last edited by champstick on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpark86

New

Post by jpark86 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:12 pm

champstick wrote:Is there such thing as negotiating if you get zilch, even if you don't really have comparable offers from relevant schools? I have offers from the lower T14, but it seems as if the overarching sentiment is Columbia doesn't really consider them.

Could I make a case for myself solely on personal narrative?
don't quote me on this, but I read somewhere on TLS that CLS considers offers from its peer schools and perhaps even Penn

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:25 pm

champstick wrote:Is there such thing as negotiating if you get zilch, even if you don't really have comparable offers from relevant schools? I have offers from the lower T14, but it seems as if the overarching sentiment is Columbia doesn't really consider them.

It is worth a shot, worst thing they can say is no.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:26 pm

jpark86 wrote:

don't quote me on this, but I read somewhere on TLS that CLS considers offers from its peer schools and perhaps even Penn
They didn't budge based on my Penn offer :(

2017JDtobe

New

Post by 2017JDtobe » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:29 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
jpark86 wrote:

So are you going at sticker then?

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:32 pm

2017JDtobe wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
jpark86 wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. I wouldn't suggest most people do that though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jpark86

New

Post by jpark86 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:43 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
2017JDtobe wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
jpark86 wrote:

dang that doesn't bode well for me either... just sent in my renegotiation email this morning.....

unrelated

Bronze

Post by unrelated » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:18 am

Last edited by unrelated on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WordsworthIsBae

Bronze

Post by WordsworthIsBae » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:44 am

unrelated wrote:How timely did everyone hear back on negotiating? I didn't receive their offer until late last week and sent them my offer from Chicago yesterday after calling. Really want them to match but afraid they won't respond before May 1.
I noted in my negotiation email that I have a deadline that Friday and then I also followed up by phone the next day. I heard back a day after my follow up. (It was a no, lol.)

unrelated

Bronze

Post by unrelated » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:50 am

Last edited by unrelated on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

catalina559

New

Post by catalina559 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:11 pm

jpark86 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
2017JDtobe wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
jpark86 wrote:

dang that doesn't bode well for me either... just sent in my renegotiation email this morning.....
I sent them my NYU offer and they only gave me 1/3 of it...

minkbrigade

New

Post by minkbrigade » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:22 pm

For everyone waiting for renegotiation responses--I called today since I hadn't heard back (I recieved my offer last week and responded right away) and they said they'll be reviewing all requests today and tomorrow. Obviously they rarely are on time with anything, but there's at least some hope that we'll hear before May 1st...

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:31 pm

minkbrigade wrote:For everyone waiting for renegotiation responses--I called today since I hadn't heard back (I recieved my offer last week and responded right away) and they said they'll be reviewing all requests today and tomorrow. Obviously they rarely are on time with anything, but there's at least some hope that we'll hear before May 1st...
thanks for the update!

unrelated

Bronze

Post by unrelated » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:35 pm

minkbrigade wrote:For everyone waiting for renegotiation responses--I called today since I hadn't heard back (I recieved my offer last week and responded right away) and they said they'll be reviewing all requests today and tomorrow. Obviously they rarely are on time with anything, but there's at least some hope that we'll hear before May 1st...
Thank you for this!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:42 pm

Thank you so much for this! Now I don't need to call :)

DogsAndWriting

New

Post by DogsAndWriting » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:50 pm

Is anyone else still waiting on their initial scholarship offer? I'm probably gonna call tomorrow morning, but I imagine that we have to hear back by May 1st, right? :roll:

minkbrigade

New

Post by minkbrigade » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:02 pm

Leliana wrote:
unrelated wrote:
texcellence wrote:
Hah of course! Glad to help. As with most of the application process, I really feel like everyone's lives--including the poor woman who answers the phone!--would be so much easier if they posted the whole process and realistic timelines online.

jpark86

New

Post by jpark86 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:03 pm

DogsAndWriting wrote:Is anyone else still waiting on their initial scholarship offer? I'm probably gonna call tomorrow morning, but I imagine that we have to hear back by May 1st, right? :roll:
i was in the same boat but went to CLS financial aid office hours
got my offer a few hours later!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gizmo1024

Bronze

Post by gizmo1024 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:14 pm

catalina559 wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
2017JDtobe wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
jpark86 wrote:

I sent them my NYU offer and they only gave me 1/3 of it...
I'm going to feel like such a peasant showing them my lower T14 offer now lol, but worth a shot!

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Post by Stay-at-Home Son » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Whatever focus I had at work before deciding on CLS has completely evaporated. August can't come soon enough.

Obama

New

Post by Obama » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:Whatever focus I had at work before deciding on CLS has completely evaporated. August can't come soon enough.
Hi me

LawDataz

New

Post by LawDataz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:57 pm

The fact that CLS doesn't consider Penn "peer-enough" to negotiate is a little concerning, amirite??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”