Columbia Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
17%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
14%
UAH apartments
41%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
16%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
12%

Total votes: 81

enoca

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Post by enoca » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:03 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Also, has anyone received the PID for the housing apps
I got an email with housing info/PID/signup code on March 9.

Time to e-mail the housing office. :?

You got accepted earlier than February 20 though, right? Maybe that's why it's taking some time for me.
I was accepted 2/28 and got the email today.

EDIT: I believe my FAQ/Tax info only just arrived at their office today, which might have triggered the email. Have you submitted all that jazz yet?

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Have you guys all put down your deposits already? I'm 99.999% sure I'm going, to the point that I briefly considered withdrawing my other pending applications (HYSChi). Would probably withdraw except for the fact that I did all that work in prepping the applications -- and paid for them.

Any reason to hold off on the deposit if I know it's my #1 choice and I don't really NEED to hear back from H/Y/S? I can't imagine that the timing of my deposit would have an effect on their evaluation of my financial need or influence how likely they are to give me a good financial aid package.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by MrJD2020 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:30 am

enoca wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Also, has anyone received the PID for the housing apps
I got an email with housing info/PID/signup code on March 9.

Time to e-mail the housing office. :?

You got accepted earlier than February 20 though, right? Maybe that's why it's taking some time for me.
I was accepted 2/28 and got the email today.

EDIT: I believe my FAQ/Tax info only just arrived at their office today, which might have triggered the email. Have you submitted all that jazz yet?
I e-mailed housing yesterday and got the PID info email yesterday. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not.

I'm really not sure what's the best way of filling out the form in order to get a studio, though. I want to show preference for the West 116th building, but at the same time I don't want to show Lionsgate and Lenfest as my 2nd and 3rd preference because I rather prefer the cheaper UAH housing. Is it better to just not pick "yes" when it asks if you want to apply for law school housing?

BTW so everyone knows, none of the W 115th buildings have studio options. If you put that as a preference it handicaps your chances of snagging a studio.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:31 am

MrJD2020 wrote:Have you guys all put down your deposits already? I'm 99.999% sure I'm going, to the point that I'm briefly considered withdrawing my other pending applications (HYSChi). Would probably withdraw except for the fact that I did all that work in prepping the applications -- and paid for them.

Any reason to hold off on the deposit if I know it's my #1 choice and I don't really NEED to hear back from H/Y/S? I can't imagine that the timing of my deposit would have an effect on their evaluation of my financial need or influence how likely they are to give me a good financial aid package.

What do you guys think?

When you click on online enrollment form, does it work for you? Just curious, as mine doesn't.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:37 am

Idk, I'll be applying for UAH housing only because I already have a ton of furniture and the housing coordinator told me at ASD that all the law-only housing is pre-furnished.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:41 am

Leliana wrote:Idk, I'll be applying for UAH housing only because I already have a ton of furniture and the housing coordinator told me at ASD that all the law-only housing is pre-furnished.
I read somewhere on the forums that UAH studios are really hard to get. I'm torn between applying for Lensfest/Lionsgate (which is honestly pretty expensive for studios) or just trying for the UAH studios.

Also, there's still no Facebook group, right?

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:44 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:Idk, I'll be applying for UAH housing only because I already have a ton of furniture and the housing coordinator told me at ASD that all the law-only housing is pre-furnished.
I read somewhere on the forums that UAH studios are really hard to get. I'm torn between applying for Lensfest/Lionsgate (which is honestly pretty expensive for studios) or just trying for the UAH studios.

Yeah, I can't afford Lenfest/Lionsgate. I've honestly kind of resigned myself to the fact that a share is the most likely outcome and it's cheaper anyway.

And no not that I know of!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:47 am

Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Yeah, I can't afford Lenfest/Lionsgate. I've honestly kind of resigned myself to the fact that a share is the most likely outcome and it's cheaper anyway.

I just looked at Lionsgate pricing for a studio... What the hell? Yeah, no way I'm doing that.

UAH housing it is. It would be so clutch to get a W 116th studio. By the way, on the website it says "420 West 116th Street has furnished and unfurnished studio/efficiency and one bedroom apartments"

I'm scared about whom I'm going to get as a roommate, though. If they aren't clean I'm going to go crazy.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:10 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

I just looked at Lionsgate pricing for a studio... What the hell? Yeah, no way I'm doing that.

UAH housing it is. It would be so clutch to get a W 116th studio. By the way, on the website it says "420 West 116th Street has furnished and unfurnished studio/efficiency and one bedroom apartments"

I'm scared about whom I'm going to get as a roommate, though. If they aren't clean I'm going to go crazy.
At least they ask you how often you clean on the housing app, makes me think they try to match people who have similar standards of cleanliness. Although their definitions are laughable...since when does cleaning once a week count as "often"??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:12 am

NotAGolfer wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

At least they ask you how often you clean on the housing app, makes me think they try to match people who have similar standards of cleanliness. Although their definitions are laughable...since when does cleaning once a week count as "often"??

I liked the fact that you have to show your preferred diet as well haha.

One of the reasons I'm so scared about applying just UAH is that I don't want to be placed in a three-four bedroom share, which looks like the majority of this housing is.

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Post by VA2lawschool » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:27 am

NotAGolfer wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Glad other people are equally worried about potential roommates and cleanliness :D Perhaps we should all request each other!

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:Have you guys all put down your deposits already? I'm 99.999% sure I'm going, to the point that I briefly considered withdrawing my other pending applications (HYSChi). Would probably withdraw except for the fact that I did all that work in prepping the applications -- and paid for them.

What do you guys think?

When you click on online enrollment form, does it work for you? Just curious, as mine doesn't.
Yeah, it does.

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Post by Stay-at-Home Son » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:16 pm

I'm a little late to the party here, congrats all.

Anyone going to the 3/29-3/30 Admitted Students program? I can only make the second day - can't take that much time off work. To those who've gone in the past, would you say only attending one out of the two days makes any difference? And more generally, any tips/what should I expect?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dwall1121

New

Post by dwall1121 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:I'm a little late to the party here, congrats all.

Anyone going to the 3/29-3/30 Admitted Students program? I can only make the second day - can't take that much time off work. To those who've gone in the past, would you say only attending one out of the two days makes any difference? And more generally, any tips/what should I expect?
I'll be going! Sad I couldn't make the first program but so excited for this one. First time ever going to New York!!

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:59 pm

If they've kept the program similar to last year, then the second day is a "choose-your-adventure" sort of day. Some programming in the morning, and then a bunch of options on what to do with the rest of your time. I think you'll miss the mock class, which I think (?) was on the first day for my class, but you'll be able to sit in on a real class the second day. The second day has housing visits, smaller-group talks with administration (re clerkships, clinics, externships, etc.), so on so forth. I think that the second day is actually the better of the two for getting a sense of what it's really like to be a student here, whereas the first day is all the flash and flair of a recruiting event. It's a pity that you'll miss the first night happy hour, though, as that's one of the better opportunities to talk and socialize with the other incoming students (not that there won't be other opportunities, but that's at least where I met many of my friends that I continue to hang out with now).

mmestik

New

Post by mmestik » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Has anyone received any financial aid packages yet? It's getting to the promised late march/early April time...

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:02 pm

mmestik wrote:Has anyone received any financial aid packages yet? It's getting to the promised late march/early April time...
Last year no one heard until after April 1st, some not until the third week of the month. CLS is known for being late with aid relative to other schools. I'm anxious too but resigned to the fact it'll be a few more weeks :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Post by Stay-at-Home Son » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:24 pm

dwall1121 wrote:

I'll be going! Sad I couldn't make the first program but so excited for this one. First time ever going to New York!!
Awesome! NYC can be a lot to take in all at once, but I'm sure you'll love it.

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Post by Stay-at-Home Son » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:

If they've kept the program similar to last year, then the second day is a "choose-your-adventure" sort of day. Some programming in the morning, and then a bunch of options on what to do with the rest of your time. I think you'll miss the mock class, which I think (?) was on the first day for my class, but you'll be able to sit in on a real class the second day. The second day has housing visits, smaller-group talks with administration (re clerkships, clinics, externships, etc.), so on so forth. I think that the second day is actually the better of the two for getting a sense of what it's really like to be a student here, whereas the first day is all the flash and flair of a recruiting event. It's a pity that you'll miss the first night happy hour, though, as that's one of the better opportunities to talk and socialize with the other incoming students (not that there won't be other opportunities, but that's at least where I met many of my friends that I continue to hang out with now).
Thanks for the input. Judging by the breakdown below, the second day sounds similar to what you're describing. If I make it to the city on Wednesday night, it would only be for the happy hour, which, as I'm typing this, is really the most appealing part anyway.

8:15–9:30 a.m. Registration
8:45–10:00 a.m. Breakfast Reception with Administrators, Faculty, and Current Students
10:10–12:40 p.m. Coffee Chats with Faculty and Administrators
12:10–1:10 p.m. Lunch with Current Students
1:15–2:00 p.m. Student Panel
2:30–3:15 p.m. Q&A Session with Financial Aid 
2:30–4:00 p.m. University Apartment Viewing
2:30–3:30 p.m. Academic and Professional Office Hours
2:50–8:10 p.m. Opportunity to Visit Classes
4:00–5:00 p.m. Wine and Cheese Reception
6:00 p.m. After Hours with Student Organizations

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:58 pm

VA2lawschool wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Glad other people are equally worried about potential roommates and cleanliness :D Perhaps we should all request each other!
+180

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:00 pm

dwall1121 wrote:

Exciting! Make sure you take some time, if you can, to check out some other parts of NYC. Morningside Heights is, obvi, not representative of most of the city :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mmestik

New

Post by mmestik » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Leliana wrote:
mmestik wrote:Has anyone received any financial aid packages yet? It's getting to the promised late march/early April time...
Last year no one heard until after April 1st, some not until the third week of the month. CLS is known for being late with aid relative to other schools. I'm anxious too but resigned to the fact it'll be a few more weeks :P
Wow, that late huh.... thanks for the info!

jpark86

New

Post by jpark86 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:21 pm

Dr_OIT wrote:
dwall1121 wrote:

Exciting! Make sure you take some time, if you can, to check out some other parts of NYC. Morningside Heights is, obvi, not representative of most of the city :)
definitely check out the Village, LES and perhaps even Williamsburg/dumbo in Brooklyn

gizmo1024

Bronze

Post by gizmo1024 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Checking in!

catalina559

New

Post by catalina559 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:01 pm

VapidP wrote:Anyone have any tips about negotiating for a scholarship? I got some money from NYU and I was wondering how does one negotiate with Columbia?
Wondering this as well - does Columbia even negotiate scholarships?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”