Columbia Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
17%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
14%
UAH apartments
41%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
16%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
12%

Total votes: 81

Leliana

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Post by Leliana » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:20 am

texteach wrote:Anyone else get the cute little Tourist Guide in the mail fro CLS? I thought it was a nice gesture pre-ASW!
I did and found it incredibly amusing because I already live in NYC. :P It's definitely really cute though! And I liked the postcard.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:07 am

I called the Financial Aid Office regarding a different matter this morning, and they told me that they are still in the process of compiling files and haven't started reviewing them yet. They said they will contact us if anything is missing once they start reviewing (but she didn't say when that would be). Just thought I would share in case others were wondering.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:08 am

Leliana wrote:
texteach wrote:Anyone else get the cute little Tourist Guide in the mail fro CLS? I thought it was a nice gesture pre-ASW!
I did and found it incredibly amusing because I already live in NYC. :P It's definitely really cute though! And I liked the postcard.
I got it too. I'm such a sucker for that stuff, their marketing is totally working on me.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:14 am

I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet :( But then again, just admitted on Monday.

BUUT, congratulate me guys, today I finished sending in the income tax forms. Done with sending in everything, hopefully they don't ask me for anything more.

Does anybody know which of CLS's housing options they are trying to stay at? I know we only start the Housing applications in March but still.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:17 am

Thelaw23 wrote:I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet :( But then again, just admitted on Monday.

BUUT, congratulate me guys, today I finished sending in the income tax forms. Done with sending in everything, hopefully they don't ask me for anything more.

Does anybody know which of CLS's housing options they are trying to stay at? I know we only start the Housing applications in March but still.
Congrats 8)

Do most 1Ls stay in University housing? I am leaning towards off campus with a roommate or two but am definitely open to CLS housing if that's the best option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:19 am

NotAGolfer wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet :( But then again, just admitted on Monday.

Congrats 8)

Do most 1Ls stay in University housing? I am leaning towards off campus with a roommate or two but am definitely open to CLS housing if that's the best option.

I think for 1L I rather stay in University housing. Will make it more convenient/cheaper/will have law school students right next to me to share the misery of the first year. 2L and 3L I'll definitely find a roommate and stay off campus.

On their website it says that a majority of law students stay in University housing throughout the 3 years. Maybe we will find out more during the admitted students days.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:23 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Does anybody know which of CLS's housing options they are trying to stay at? I know we only start the Housing applications in March but still.
Congrats 8)

I think for 1L I rather stay in University housing. Will make it more convenient/cheaper/will have law school students right next to me to share the misery of the first year. 2L and 3L I'll definitely find a roommate and stay off campus.
+1

This is my plan too. My dream would be to snag a CLS studio for 1L... I want to be able to focus on 1L, not have to deal with roommates, and also be close to campus.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:24 am

Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Does anybody know which of CLS's housing options they are trying to stay at? I know we only start the Housing applications in March but still.
Congrats 8)

+1

This is my plan too. My dream would be to snag a CLS studio for 1L... I want to be able to focus on 1L, not have to deal with roommates, and also be close to campus.
That's the dream. Hope we are lucky with the lottery! I don't think we got to pick the roommates either. At least we definitely won't be paired with undergrads, though.

I'm going to start browsing through TLS and reviews of the different housing options soon lol

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:21 pm

You'll get a chance to tour some student apartments during ASW to get a sense of what UAH and law school housing is like. You can choose a preference for either (law school housing tends to be a bit more expensive, but also nice amenities). For UAH you won't get paired with undergrads, but you can get paired with students in other graduate programs. For law school housing, your roommates will be law students, but not necessarily fellow 1Ls (I think, I'm in UAH so don't know for sure). You CAN request to be roommates with other students, so I highly suggest making friends at ASW. Worked out wonderfully for me. I don't know of anyone who is in a bad roommate situation, though I do know someone who wanted a studio and ended up in a triple. It's possible to land a studio without getting couple's housing (I know of at least one person who won the lottery), but I wouldn't count on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

2020Hopeful

New

Post by 2020Hopeful » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:22 pm

Anyone know if theres a Columbia 2020 Facebook group yet?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:You'll get a chance to tour some student apartments during ASW to get a sense of what UAH and law school housing is like. You can choose a preference for either (law school housing tends to be a bit more expensive, but also nice amenities). For UAH you won't get paired with undergrads, but you can get paired with students in other graduate programs. For law school housing, your roommates will be law students, but not necessarily fellow 1Ls (I think, I'm in UAH so don't know for sure). You CAN request to be roommates with other students, so I highly suggest making friends at ASW. Worked out wonderfully for me. I don't know of anyone who is in a bad roommate situation, though I do know someone who wanted a studio and ended up in a triple. It's possible to land a studio without getting couple's housing (I know of at least one person who won the lottery), but I wouldn't count on it.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing the law school housing. I didn't know that UAH and law school housing was separate, but thought one was a part of the other.

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Post by CPA-->JD » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:55 pm

Did everyone just get that email from the financial aid office encouraging you to submit the required materials?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:37 am

CPA-->JD wrote:Did everyone just get that email from the financial aid office encouraging you to submit the required materials?
I haven't. I sent everything in this week but never got a confirmation or reply.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:26 am

CPA-->JD wrote:Did everyone just get that email from the financial aid office encouraging you to submit the required materials?
The one that's titled "Financing your Legal Education"? I got it a few weeks ago.

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Post by CPA-->JD » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:03 am

Leliana wrote:
The one that's titled "Financing your Legal Education"? I got it a few weeks ago.
Yes it seemed to imply that I could be eligible for merit aid. Is this a generic email sent out to all accepted applicants?

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:53 am

CPA-->JD wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Yes it seemed to imply that I could be eligible for merit aid. Is this a generic email sent out to all accepted applicants?
Also got this a few weeks ago. I assume it's sent out to all admits.

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Post by CPA-->JD » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:56 am

NotAGolfer wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Also got this a few weeks ago. I assume it's sent out to all admits.
Thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:30 pm

100 dollars on that some gunner will both memorize this case and research all related cases for the mock class before Wednesday.

ohgosh

New

Post by ohgosh » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:21 pm

Is there a Facebook group yet?

2020Hopeful

New

Post by 2020Hopeful » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Where does the Financial Aid Questionnaire (FAQ) get submitted to? Via email to the financial aid office, or is there a portal I'm not seeing somewhere?

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:15 pm

2020Hopeful wrote:Where does the Financial Aid Questionnaire (FAQ) get submitted to? Via email to the financial aid office, or is there a portal I'm not seeing somewhere?
I faxed mine along with my income tax forms cause I had to print em out to sign, but you can also just email it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:38 am

TAD wrote:
2020Hopeful wrote:Where does the Financial Aid Questionnaire (FAQ) get submitted to? Via email to the financial aid office, or is there a portal I'm not seeing somewhere?
I faxed mine along with my income tax forms cause I had to print em out to sign, but you can also just email it
I mailed it via snail mail.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:34 pm

2L PSA for admitted students this week -- don't dress up. Seriously do not. You're already admitted and there's absolutely zero point. You will just be uncomfortable and jealous of all the people wearing jeans.

Also, tons of people do the Columbia/NYU ASW split -- the schools schedule it the way they do for a reason. Usually things slow down at Columbia around mid-afternoon on Thursday and that's the time to head down to the Village. It's a long cab if you're not taking the subway though, so try to find someone else who's going to split it with.

mmestik

New

Post by mmestik » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:04 pm

Anyone who's been admitted on Jan 19/20 get their acceptance letters in the mail yet? I got the NYC tour book but not any acceptance info :(

dwall1121

New

Post by dwall1121 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:17 pm

hi everyone! just got accepted last thursday (woo!!) but am a little late to the financial aid forms game. If I dont qualify for need based aid because of my parents or whatever and wont be taking out any loans do I still have to fill in all those forms and send in all the tax stuff? Was unclear if that all was required to receive merit aid as well or if that was only for need aid. Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I am a little lost with all of this!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”