Columbia Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
17%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
14%
UAH apartments
41%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
16%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
12%

Total votes: 81

lawdude31

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Post by lawdude31 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:16 am

Just happy I got things started again. This is the only thing that makes me feel like I'm getting ready for August 15. :D

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:17 am

Dr_OIT wrote:
mdu wrote:Another prospective IP lawyer here 8) Did not know about that NYU thing... Sounds great!
BTW does anyone know if we have any say in our first semester classes/schedules?
Zero. We get our schedules at orientation lol. It's the standard courseload at virtually any law school though. 1L spring, we can pick one elective from a specific menu.
We only get schedules at orientation? I figured some point in June.

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Fri May 12, 2017 3:20 pm

lawdude31 wrote:
Dr_OIT wrote:
mdu wrote:Another prospective IP lawyer here 8) Did not know about that NYU thing... Sounds great!
BTW does anyone know if we have any say in our first semester classes/schedules?
Zero. We get our schedules at orientation lol. It's the standard courseload at virtually any law school though. 1L spring, we can pick one elective from a specific menu.
We only get schedules at orientation? I figured some point in June.
And I saw different sections take different sets of classes... I don't know which are easier to begin with in the fall... maybe it doesn't matter

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:08 pm

So not all the 1Ls will be taking the same exams in December?

YLX

New

fellowship

Post by YLX » Fri May 12, 2017 10:43 pm

So, anyone also working on the Tony Patino Fellowship? I don't see any discussion of it here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrJD2020

Bronze

Re: fellowship

Post by MrJD2020 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:15 pm

YLX wrote:So, anyone also working on the Tony Patino Fellowship? I don't see any discussion of it here.
Nah. Considered it, but I think only two or three people get it, it's unclear how much $ you get ("at least" 10K) and I honestly can't be bothered to apply for one more goddamn thing this year. No. More. Applications.

But definitely go for it! (not sarcastic lol -- I hope you get it)

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 am

MrJD2020 wrote:
YLX wrote:So, anyone also working on the Tony Patino Fellowship? I don't see any discussion of it here.
Nah. Considered it, but I think only two or three people get it, it's unclear how much $ you get ("at least" 10K) and I honestly can't be bothered to apply for one more goddamn thing this year. No. More. Applications.

But definitely go for it! (not sarcastic lol -- I hope you get it)
Same. And another essay. 3 more recommendation letters. All the public interest leadership. I shouldn't waste my time on it.

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Sat May 13, 2017 12:09 am

Dr_OIT wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
Dr_OIT wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
Dr_OIT wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:Is the thread over ? I keep on checking a few times a day.
Haha me too.
Can anybody explain the differences between lecture and seminar courses? Most IP courses are offered as seminars at CLS. :idea:
Generally, seminars are small/medium-sized groups around a table with a professor discussing more specific, substantive questions. Lectures are much larger classes in what you might consider to be a more stereotypical law school classroom (Socratic method may or may not be used :) ). I tend to enjoy seminar classes more, so it's great to hear that most IP classes are structured that way... What kind of IP are you interested in?
Thank you for the info! Patent law is what I want to practice. Also interested international IP and some copyright. You into IP too?

I believe interactive specific seminar style class will provide adequate knowledge. But I'd appreciate more fundamental stereotype lectures on IP courses to build a solid foundation. Hope I'm not too ignorant.
Cool! I'm looking more into copyright/trademark. And I'd love to get an international perspective on that too, but not really looking into patent law. (No science background :wink: ). From what I can tell, there are definitely the standard IP lecture classes, e.g. Copyright, Trademarks... Some lectures are usually prereqs for seminars, I believe.
Then we'll come across each other in the copyright class, if not earlier. :mrgreen:
NYU has a more systematic IP offering, hopefully I can take a course there in the third year.
Yes! I know NYU has an International IP course, which I thought of when you mentioned int'l :). Professor is Dreyfuss, I think, and she's pretty big in IP circles. What's great is that CLS and NYU let you take 1 course at the other during your three years, so I've thought of that too.
That sounds awesome!!! I spent my life so far in hard natural sciences. I basically have no idea about law and the big names in the legal fields. Shame on me. Hopefully I can catch up with you guys.

skigirl3136

New

Post by skigirl3136 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:08 am

I am!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sat May 13, 2017 10:16 am

lawdude31 wrote:So not all the 1Ls will be taking the same exams in December?
Correct. You'll all have Civil Procedure, and two of Torts, Property, Contracts, and Con Law, but you won't know which until Orientation. In the spring you'll have Criminal Law, the two of Torts etc. that you haven't taken yet, and an elective.

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:55 pm

RSN wrote:
Correct. You'll all have Civil Procedure, and two of Torts, Property, Contracts, and Con Law, but you won't know which until Orientation. In the spring you'll have Criminal Law, the two of Torts etc. that you haven't taken yet, and an elective.
So there's no yearlong course?

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Sat May 13, 2017 11:28 pm

lawdude31 wrote:
RSN wrote:
Just LPW, but I don't think I'd consider that a "course" per se. I don't think yearlong courses are common anywhere, though...

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:08 am

Dr_OIT wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:
RSN wrote:
Just LPW, but I don't think I'd consider that a "course" per se. I don't think yearlong courses are common anywhere, though...
Is LPW and the other course that starts in August graded more than pass/fail, and if yes does it count towards your 1L grades?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Sun May 14, 2017 11:36 am

lawdude31 wrote: Is LPW and the other course that starts in August graded more than pass/fail, and if yes does it count towards your 1L grades?
LPW is high pass/pass/fail, so take that as you will. Legal Methods, the one that starts in August, is pass/fail.

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Sun May 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:
lawdude31 wrote: Is LPW and the other course that starts in August graded more than pass/fail, and if yes does it count towards your 1L grades?
LPW is high pass/pass/fail, so take that as you will. Legal Methods, the one that starts in August, is pass/fail.
And are those factored into the all important 1L grades?

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Sun May 14, 2017 1:00 pm

lawdude31 wrote:
Bearlyalive wrote:
Depends. They won't affect your GPA, and everyone passes Legal Methods so that has no effect. But for LPW, some employers and judges like seeing HP rather than P. I haven't gone through OCI or clerkship hiring yet so I don't know more than "some care". But your grades from actual courses will be far more important.

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:01 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:
Bearlyalive wrote:
Depends. They won't affect your GPA, and everyone passes Legal Methods so that has no effect. But for LPW, some employers and judges like seeing HP rather than P. I haven't gone through OCI or clerkship hiring yet so I don't know more than "some care". But your grades from actual courses will be far more important.
Ok great thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:19 am

Hey guys, I'm wondering if Columbia will lower my grant award if I earn money over the summers (through SA etc.)

purplekitten

New

Post by purplekitten » Mon May 15, 2017 2:45 pm

If anyone applied for loans and emailed the Columbia Fin Aid office your loan application, did you receive a reply from them? :shock:

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:56 pm

purplekitten wrote:If anyone applied for loans and emailed the Columbia Fin Aid office your loan application, did you receive a reply from them? :shock:
Not yet. I wouldn't worry about it until at LEAST mid-June or late June, honestly. I mean, it's a formality, unless you have a rough credit history (like a negative event in the last two years) and think you may have to appeal an initial adverse decision on your Grad PLUS Loan request.

Also, y'all, they have a phone and Columbia staff work for us (we are paying them...lol) so we should all feel comfortable calling finaid/housing/etc. if we're nervous about stuff.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Mon May 15, 2017 3:33 pm

Housing and loan application deadline is today! Get those forms in.

I found the loan thing a little confusing but I believe all that needs to be submitted is the Loan Request Form they sent you, plus entrance counseling and MPNs on studentloans.gov. Also FAFSA and the questionnaire, but if you applied for need aid you've already submitted those.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Mon May 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Leliana wrote:Housing and loan application deadline is today! Get those forms in.

I found the loan thing a little confusing but I believe all that needs to be submitted is the Loan Request Form they sent you, plus entrance counseling and MPNs on studentloans.gov. Also FAFSA and the questionnaire, but if you applied for need aid you've already submitted those.
yep you nailed it. for you procrastinators-- I talked to FinAid on Friday and today is a soft deadline for the Loan Request Form!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:08 pm

I want to know where I will be living already :x :x :x

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:25 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:I want to know where I will be living already :x :x :x
Don't hold your breath...

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue May 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:I want to know where I will be living already :x :x :x
Worst case scenario there is always room on my couch Law. You will have to share with Hudson though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”