Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

How decided are you on NU?

Tuition deposit is in and I'm ready to go!
38%
Tuition deposit not in, but it's an emphatic yes
6%
Planning on committing if they give me the right coins (i.e. scholly reconsideration)
13%
Still conflicted
13%
That's gonna be a no for me
30%

Total votes: 63

guynourmin

Gold

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Post by guynourmin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:27 pm

ILoveYou wrote:Depending on where in the neighborhood you land, it's generally affordable, and a convenient ~30 min commute to school by either the red line or express buses.
Can you speak to brown line commuting -- do people transfer to the red and walk from there, or get off at the Chicago Brown and take the bus that mile or so? I am not very familiar with how the buses run in that area so don't know if trying to take the bus from Chicago Brown would just result in you sitting in traffic for 20 minutes.

Thanks!

ILoveYou

Silver

Post by ILoveYou » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: brown line--it depends a bit on what time of day it is, but assuming normal commute hours usually it's better to just transfer to the red line and walk over from Chicago & State. The bus wouldn't add 20 minutes really, but generally your wait time for the bus (sometimes it can be a long wait) plus 5-10 minutes sounds about right.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:01 pm

ILoveYou wrote:Hello future Pritzkerites (Pritzkerians? Not sure we ever decided)! I'm a current student at NU law; I saw this thread while reading through TLS in class and thought I'd chime in for anyone looking at neighborhoods. I highly recommend Lakeview! It's just the best neighborhood. Tons of great food, bars, parks, and whatever else you could want really close by. Depending on where in the neighborhood you land, it's generally affordable, and a convenient ~30 min commute to school by either the red line or express buses. Sort of inconvenient if you plan on doing bar review a bunch--only 1 or 2 a year are in Lakeview and most seem to be in River North--but don't choose where to live based on bar review.

Just north of Lakeview is Uptown, parts of which are really nice and parts of which are areas you probably don't want to walk around alone at night. Which part you're in will be really obvious. The commute from Uptown can start to get too long for most people's taste, though.

As for other neighborhoods, Streeterville (right around the school) sucks a lot if you plan on eating food, going out at all, or doing anything not related to law school. I can't stress enough how much the neighborhood our school is in sucks. Seriously, unless walking to school and being around your younger classmates 24/7 is that important to you, do not live here.

River North is too expensive and you won't be able to enjoy the nightlife that much while you're in law school anyway. Go there for an occasional night out; don't live there.

Gold Coast is a nice happy medium, although still pretty pricey.

Also don't sleep on Ukrainian Village! Fantastic neighborhood, plenty to do, and close enough to school that the commute isn't a pain.

Anyway, feel free to pm me. Good luck getting here and enjoy your last summer of freedom!
This was super helpful! Thanks so much!!

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:02 pm

brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Also, for anyone who may have any questions about neighborhoods (or anything really) in Chicago: I've been asking the Chicago reddit folks for opinions on different neighborhoods and people are responsive/actually helpful.
My sister's office mate went to northwestern law and she highly suggested River North and Streeterville. She said that pricing and location were best! She had a studio apartment in a super safe building. I'll try to get the name of it for you.

Edit: I'll also look into Reddit
Those neighborhoods are both quite expensive lol.
Oh damn...am I bringing in my DC rent perspective? lol

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:09 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Also, for anyone who may have any questions about neighborhoods (or anything really) in Chicago: I've been asking the Chicago reddit folks for opinions on different neighborhoods and people are responsive/actually helpful.
My sister's office mate went to northwestern law and she highly suggested River North and Streeterville. She said that pricing and location were best! She had a studio apartment in a super safe building. I'll try to get the name of it for you.

No, not really. I think you may need to focus on bringing in your "law student with no income" perspective though lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:15 pm

brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:

No, not really. I think you may need to focus on bringing in your "law student with no income" perspective though lol.
lol, you're right. I keep forgetting how poor I'm about to be...

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:29 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:

Living off of loans for the next few years is gonna be so fun :lol: :lol: :lol:

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:35 pm

brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:

Living off of loans for the next few years is gonna be so fun :lol: :lol: :lol:
fwiw, Chicago has to be among the best big cities in the country to try and live on the $21,000 or whatever we'll be allowed to take out.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:37 pm

guybourdin wrote:
fwiw, Chicago has to be among the best big cities in the country to try and live on the $21,000 or whatever we'll be allowed to take out.
Welp, that's definitely promising!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:41 pm

guybourdin wrote: fwiw, Chicago has to be among the best big cities in the country to try and live on the $21,000 or whatever we'll be allowed to take out.
I mean, it's not TOO bad... The nicer places closer to the school are expensive though -- as well as some of the nicer places a good commuting distance (up to 30 mins) from the school. I'm also a slight apartment snob though and I really hate how some of the older places look inside (especially those with older kitchens since I can/do cook). I will say that if you're okay with older places with minimal ammenities, you can find some okay deals. Also, being open to a roomie is probably good too (I'm not though... at least not for 1L lol).

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:46 pm

So, since they made us set up our email, does that mean that they'll be communicating with us via the school email now and not our personal email?

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:05 am

Hey Guys!

Cornell was making a pretty big deal about their new ranking in terms of % of grads going into top 100 firms and guess what I saw.

Our bae NU way up at the top as #3. I think this is awesome. Thought it would be worth sharing. Also the USNWR put us at #10 as of today. :D

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:41 pm

btruj777 wrote:Hey Guys!

Cornell was making a pretty big deal about their new ranking in terms of % of grads going into top 100 firms and guess what I saw.

Our bae NU way up at the top as #3. I think this is awesome. Thought it would be worth sharing. Also the USNWR put us at #10 as of today. :D

USNWR rankings aren't everything, but it's still nice to see that they moved up.

The top 100 firms thing is definitely awesome too!

I'm surprised to see GULC ahead of Michigan.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Just keep in mind that the 100 largest firms (NLJ100) isn't a true indicator of your probability of getting a job at a big law firm. The NLJ250 is likely a much higher and more useful statistic for NU (and all schools). Still, nice to see us performing well in NLJ100.

Scurvy Cur

New

Post by Scurvy Cur » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Checking in!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:47 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:Just keep in mind that the 100 largest firms (NLJ100) isn't a true indicator of your probability of getting a job at a big law firm. The NLJ250 is likely a much higher and more useful statistic for NU (and all schools). Still, nice to see us performing well in NLJ100.
Well, either way, NU shows owt when it comes to BL placement as compared to some other schools lol.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:48 pm

Scurvy Cur wrote:Checking in!
Welcome!

Side note: y'all newbies should join the 2020 FB for Northwestern because it's dead in there too and only has 50 members lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:48 pm

Scholarship info soon? Hopefully?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:01 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:Scholarship info soon? Hopefully?
Fingers are crossed. I'm not sure if it'll be sent to our nlaw email or our personal email so now I have to obsessively check BOTH :roll:

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Post by thatblondegirl » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:10 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Fingers are crossed. I'm not sure if it'll be sent to our nlaw email or our personal email so now I have to obsessively check BOTH :roll:
You can setup automatic forwarding so that all emails sent to your nlaw email are forwarded to your personal email. It's one of the first things I did because I know I'll forget to check the nlaw email.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:16 pm

thatblondegirl wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
You can setup automatic forwarding so that all emails sent to your nlaw email are forwarded to your personal email. It's one of the first things I did because I know I'll forget to check the nlaw email.

Oooooh. How do I do that?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Post by thatblondegirl » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:24 pm

brinicolec wrote:
thatblondegirl wrote: You can setup automatic forwarding so that all emails sent to your nlaw email are forwarded to your personal email. It's one of the first things I did because I know I'll forget to check the nlaw email.

1. Sign-in to nlaw email
2. Click on the settings icon in the top right of your inbox and select "Settings"
3. Select "Forwarding and POP/IMAP". It's located at the top and is the 6th option from the left
4. Enter whatever email address you want stuff forwarded to and click on "Add a forwarding address" (or something like that)
5. Enter confirmation code sent to the forwarding email
6. Make sure "Forward a copy of incoming mail to..." is selected
7. Save Changes

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:29 pm

thatblondegirl wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
thatblondegirl wrote: You can setup automatic forwarding so that all emails sent to your nlaw email are forwarded to your personal email. It's one of the first things I did because I know I'll forget to check the nlaw email.

1. Sign-in to nlaw email
2. Click on the settings icon in the top right of your inbox and select "Settings"
3. Select "Forwarding and POP/IMAP". It's located at the top and is the 6th option from the left
4. Enter whatever email address you want stuff forwarded to and click on "Add a forwarding address" (or something like that)
5. Enter confirmation code sent to the forwarding email
6. Make sure "Forward a copy of incoming mail to..." is selected
7. Save Changes
Thanks!

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:14 pm

Just got the Paperless Post invitation for ASW! Very nice touch!

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:31 pm

guybourdin wrote:
ILoveYou wrote:Depending on where in the neighborhood you land, it's generally affordable, and a convenient ~30 min commute to school by either the red line or express buses.
Can you speak to brown line commuting -- do people transfer to the red and walk from there, or get off at the Chicago Brown and take the bus that mile or so? I am not very familiar with how the buses run in that area so don't know if trying to take the bus from Chicago Brown would just result in you sitting in traffic for 20 minutes.

Thanks!
If you live north of Fullerton, I'd always recommend you transfer to the red line and then walk from the Chicago red line stop (or take the bus if it's there). If you're living in between fullerton and chicago then it's not too bad to take the bus from Chicago Brown (or walk if the weather isn't too bad). The 66 bus (which runs down Chicago) is notorious for being one of the least reliable bus lines in Chicago, but they just changed the route and eliminated a bunch of stops to help with that. The 66 also runs pretty frequently during rush hour so it's less of a problem if you're coming in the morning (and you're almost certainly gonna have 8:45 class so you will be coming in the morning).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”