Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

How decided are you on NU?

Tuition deposit is in and I'm ready to go!
38%
Tuition deposit not in, but it's an emphatic yes
6%
Planning on committing if they give me the right coins (i.e. scholly reconsideration)
13%
Still conflicted
13%
That's gonna be a no for me
30%

Total votes: 63

notsolawful

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Post by notsolawful » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:07 am

gilbilya wrote:Hi just wondering what exactly does "Other Student Resources" on CAESAR under my financial aid entail? I have a $44,733 listed in that column with a $40,000 annual grant. Does that mean I still have to pay $44,733 per year?
I think you have to pay $20,000 for tuition and they estimate you'll need an additional 24,733 for Cost of attendance.

Jlyyep

New

Post by Jlyyep » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:32 am

~*Checking in*~ this was my top choice, so I'm super excited!

Open question, but how advisable is it to live further away from campus to save money in 1L? Right now I'm going through a debate as to whether I should save money and take the shuttle to NU, or to pay like double the rent to live close to campus.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:49 am

Jlyyep wrote:~*Checking in*~ this was my top choice, so I'm super excited!

Open question, but how advisable is it to live further away from campus to save money in 1L? Right now I'm going through a debate as to whether I should save money and take the shuttle to NU, or to pay like double the rent to live close to campus.
I'm biased because Ive only ever lived by campus so I can't speak to the commute life. I'll let those people weigh in.
But it really depends on a number of factors. How important is it to you to be able to walk to and from class? Do you mind public transit? (Some people read on their commute which sounds like a smart way to make use of that time.) Do you care about living close to your friends? (I believe a large majority of 1Ls live around school.) Do you like or think you'll like big city life? The area by school (Streeterville, Gold Coast, River North) is a very busy dizzy world of skyscrapers and restaurants and bars. That's very much my thing but its not for all people. I will say weather is a bitch and unpredictable so being closer is nice for those days when a snowstorm hits in April and traffic is jammed. But money in the bank is a solid reason to live further.

Hope that was marginally helpful!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:52 am

what shuttle?

this is a question you have to answer for yourself. you can find a ton of current student opinions in the ask a NU student thread, though. general consensus I have gathered is: living close to the law school sucks/isn't that bad/is really great/kind of nice/helpful during finals/overrated/underrated.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:58 am

Also depends on what "close to school" means for you bc there's a lot of neighborhoods of varying closeness. Streeterville is going to be the closest - right next to school. The area is blah though. It's clean and safe and all and by the lake but it's boring. Not much to do there. But a lot of other 1Ls will be there. River North and Gold Coast are a little further (10-15 min instead of 5) and just as expensive but much more to do there and closer to transit to see other parts of the city.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:34 pm

Every day that goes by I get more and more excited. Should we expect our schedules before orientation, during, or after?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:06 pm

btruj777 wrote:Every day that goes by I get more and more excited. Should we expect our schedules before orientation, during, or after?
just creeped last years thread: they had their schedules before orientation.

you should check in to the destinations thread if you're going to be here with us!

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:07 pm

guybourdin wrote:
btruj777 wrote:Every day that goes by I get more and more excited. Should we expect our schedules before orientation, during, or after?

you should check in to the destinations thread if you're going to be here with us!

Awesome thank you! Sorry I did not do that earlier. I will check in!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:09 pm

btruj777 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

also for fun: the year before they also received schedules before orientation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:17 pm

guybourdin wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Yeah, the schedules for all the sections show up on our CAESAR platform long before your orientation, and some enterprising rising 2L/3L usually passes along all four sections' schedules. Last year that was on July 3rd.

You'll probably know your section the week before orientation, if memory serves. But most of the time blocks are the same no matter which section you're in (some variance). So you should have a good idea as to when you'll be in class even before you know your sections and professors.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:49 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Yeah, the schedules for all the sections show up on our CAESAR platform long before your orientation, and some enterprising rising 2L/3L usually passes along all four sections' schedules. Last year that was on July 3rd.

You'll probably know your section the week before orientation, if memory serves. But most of the time blocks are the same no matter which section you're in (some variance). So you should have a good idea as to when you'll be in class even before you know your sections and professors.
Very helpful, thank you very much.

xandra_v

Bronze

Post by xandra_v » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Checking in, admitted Tuesday and waiting to hear on financial aid hopefully toward the end of next week or early the following. Choosing between here and Michigan! Any thoughts appreciated.

Hobbesy

Bronze

Post by Hobbesy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 pm

That sample schedule just looks like morning classes morning classes morning classes. Blah. I hate it when people make my schedule for me.

Does anyone know if it's still possible to negotiate a scholarship over the summer? (Say if another T-14 got back to me and I had something to present to them)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

practical cat

New

Post by practical cat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:18 am

So I'm doing the JD-PhD program and haven't started the JD portion yet but I currently live in Rogers Park and intend to stay here when I start there. The intercampus shuttle stops at Loyola station regularly Monday-Friday and drops off right at the law school in about 20 minutes (with no stops between Loyola and Streeterville). Honestly, though, living by Loyola probably isn't going to save you a massive amount of money and I personally miss the shuttle on a pretty regular basis because I am completely unstructured.

UCtoNU

New

Post by UCtoNU » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:11 pm

I live in Uptown and pay $750/month for my half of a two bedroom. My commute is 40 minutes door to door on the red line. If you live closer to an express bus that goes down lake shore, it would be even faster. That lost time has not affected my grades at all. I really appreciate the distance. I can't read on the train so commuting is mandatory time for my mind to wander, or listen to music or podcasts. It's a great break. Also, there's not a lot to do in Streeterville, and it's great to get away from school. Plenty of people (1Ls included) live on the north side in Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Uptown, even Edgewater. The farther north you go, the cheaper your rent will be. Plenty of people also live west, south, and northwest of school.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:07 pm

has anyone received their ASW reimbursement yet?

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:12 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:has anyone received their ASW reimbursement yet?
Nope. Still $400 in the hole :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:16 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:
me too :roll:

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:58 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:
I did get an email from them asking me to confirm my amount. How do we get the money? Check?

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:49 am

jjcorvino wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:
I did get an email from them asking me to confirm my amount. How do we get the money? Check?
I would think it would be a check!

ThePoetKnowsIt

New

Post by ThePoetKnowsIt » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:54 pm

Pardon me if this is a weird question, but can anyone tell me who bikeable of a city Chicago is lol?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:09 pm

ThePoetKnowsIt wrote:Pardon me if this is a weird question, but can anyone tell me who bikeable of a city Chicago is lol?
http://chicagoist.com/2016/09/19/chicag ... most_b.php

probably overstated, but I get around fine. haven't tried riding around downtown ever, but you don't need to to get to school since its right off the lake. the neighborhoods are all pretty nice rides imo. would post this question in the current students thread or maybe the facebook group (I'm not in it so I don't know how active it is) for more responses, though.

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:15 am

ThePoetKnowsIt wrote:Pardon me if this is a weird question, but can anyone tell me who bikeable of a city Chicago is lol?
Honestly it can depend on your ~skills~ and where you live but it's pretty bikeable (shoot through Divvy you can rent bikes in half hour increments). There are bike lanes downtown and, more importantly for getting to the school, the Lakefront Trail which (rumor has it) will be separating out bike lanes from people lanes (very much needed, thank you Ken Griffin for hating the original so much). The only issue with the lakefront trail is that, on particularly windy days, you may run into a slight problem called Lake Michigan. (The waves have literally shut down Lake Shore Drive in the past)

Clark street is a main N/S street that has decent room for bikes, and sections of Broadway do as well (though others are a bit tighter). Just always be aware of cabs.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:12 am

I never got my Northwestern acceptance packet. I withdrew a week ago , so I guess it is never coming :-(

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 am

jjcorvino wrote:I never got my Northwestern acceptance packet. I withdrew a week ago , so I guess it is never coming :-(
Me neither. I'm sad.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”