Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

How decided are you on NU?

Tuition deposit is in and I'm ready to go!
23
39%
Tuition deposit not in, but it's an emphatic yes
4
7%
Planning on committing if they give me the right coins (i.e. scholly reconsideration)
7
12%
Still conflicted
6
10%
That's gonna be a no for me
19
32%
 
Total votes: 59

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby somedeadman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:28 pm

brinicolec wrote:The housing estimation is based on nine months, not 12, right?

.
Last edited by somedeadman on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby somedeadman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:28 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:So what do we do if we want to live next to the school...

Also, best way of finding roommates?

Also interested in this

Edit - sorry for flooding the thread...

sadpandayolo
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby sadpandayolo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:38 pm

somedeadman wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:So what do we do if we want to live next to the school...

Also, best way of finding roommates?

Also interested in this

Edit - sorry for flooding the thread...


living next to the school isn't too expensive. SVille is generally cheaper than river north or GC, but it's kind of boring. There's a decent amount of places that give student discounts too - for NU students.

Roommates: just live alone

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby somedeadman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:46 pm

sadpandayolo wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:So what do we do if we want to live next to the school...

Also, best way of finding roommates?

Also interested in this

Edit - sorry for flooding the thread...


living next to the school isn't too expensive. SVille is generally cheaper than river north or GC, but it's kind of boring. There's a decent amount of places that give student discounts too - for NU students.

Roommates: just live alone


Maybe I'm just bad at this, but I'm only finding studios in the 1500-1700 range. What are your thoughts on lakeview? I heard it's just a 15 minute bus ride away

onionz
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby onionz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:50 pm

There's a lot of advice historically in the ask a law student thread, so I recommend turning there in terms of views on neighborhoods. In general, queries like this will get more/better eyes there.

I'll also repeat some advice I gave in that thread: think about where you live. First year of law school is really important. I understand a few hundred/month difference in rent can be a big deal to people, but figure out what kind of person you are and if living closer to school will help make you a better student. This is not to say it's necessary for everyone, but I know my first year I liked living close. I know a number of people lived close their first year, and then moved out in the other years to the more 'fun' neighborhoods once they had more time.

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby somedeadman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:53 pm

onionz wrote:There's a lot of advice historically in the ask a law student thread, so I recommend turning there in terms of views on neighborhoods. In general, queries like this will get more/better eyes there.

I'll also repeat some advice I gave in that thread: think about where you live. First year of law school is really important. I understand a few hundred/month difference in rent can be a big deal to people, but figure out what kind of person you are and if living closer to school will help make you a better student. This is not to say it's necessary for everyone, but I know my first year I liked living close. I know a number of people lived close their first year, and then moved out in the other years to the more 'fun' neighborhoods once they had more time.


That's good advice. Thanks!

sadpandayolo
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby sadpandayolo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:56 pm

somedeadman wrote:
sadpandayolo wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:So what do we do if we want to live next to the school...

Also, best way of finding roommates?

Also interested in this

Edit - sorry for flooding the thread...


living next to the school isn't too expensive. SVille is generally cheaper than river north or GC, but it's kind of boring. There's a decent amount of places that give student discounts too - for NU students.

Roommates: just live alone


Maybe I'm just bad at this, but I'm only finding studios in the 1500-1700 range. What are your thoughts on lakeview? I heard it's just a 15 minute bus ride away


I'd say that range is about right.
Lake view - never took the bus before. Still too far for my taste but to each their own. Buses are gonna suck in winter. You could uber pool to school with the money you're saving on rent by living in lake view. Still, far.

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 18866
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby star fox » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:05 pm

It takes roughly half an hour to commute from Lakeview all included.

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 18866
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby star fox » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:08 pm

somedeadman wrote:
onionz wrote:There's a lot of advice historically in the ask a law student thread, so I recommend turning there in terms of views on neighborhoods. In general, queries like this will get more/better eyes there.

I'll also repeat some advice I gave in that thread: think about where you live. First year of law school is really important. I understand a few hundred/month difference in rent can be a big deal to people, but figure out what kind of person you are and if living closer to school will help make you a better student. This is not to say it's necessary for everyone, but I know my first year I liked living close. I know a number of people lived close their first year, and then moved out in the other years to the more 'fun' neighborhoods once they had more time.


That's good advice. Thanks!

Sure, it's convenient to live close, but it's also a bit silly if someone were to imply that you need to live close. Just treat 1L like a 9-6 job and you will probably do fine. Think of how you would be willing to commute to a job. In Chicago, you're not going to live in the loop to commute to the office, most likely.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Anyone know if NU has any stats about how many students who want 1L SA positions are able to get them on their site?

christmas.in.july
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby christmas.in.july » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:17 pm

somedeadman wrote:
christmas.in.july wrote:Hello all! I wanted to see if anyone has a similar dilemma to mine. I am considered NU Dependent for financial aid purposes, however my parents are unable to help finance my education (they're in retirement; can't say I blame them). I cannot fill out the CSS because my parents will not provide their financial info, so does this mean I will be ineligible for scholarships? According to the FinAid application instructions, the CSS form is a requirement for scholarship consideration......
I should probably call the Financial Aid office but I forgot to do that this afternoon and I am impatient, so I am hoping to get an answer from someone here over the weekend :) . Otherwise, I will be calling on Monday and will report my findings here for anyone who is interested!!

I don't have any helpful advice for you, but that really sucks. I was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago.


I know :/. I'm also so close to to being exempted from the NU depdendency status, but by the time class starts I will be 5 months short of the "working 30 months" requirement.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Idk if anyone else was curious about this but I was planning my trip to ASW but didn't want to do anything until I knew more about the travel stipend and basically, you schedule accomodations yourself and submit receipts through the request form (that I don't think is up yet). Then when you go to ASW, you check in each day and sign a reimbursement form and can expect the reimbursement a little less than two months later. I'm not sure what the requirements for the reimbursement are but just in case anyone was wondering if they make you schedule through them, they don't!

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:39 pm

Also, for anyone who has been wondering about housing, I've been in contact with someone for StudentSpace (which is a business that helps students find housing based on budget, things important to you when it comes to housing, etc.) and he said that they are doing group tours of places available within walking distance during ASW that people can sign up for. I'm not sure how to go about signing up yet (not sure if it's through the school or the business) but I'll try to remember to keep you all updated!

2000andBeyond
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby 2000andBeyond » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:38 pm

Just got my net ID and password info! #excited

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:11 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:Just got my net ID and password info! #excited


How long did it take you to get that info after being admitted?

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:17 pm

Just booked my flight + hotel for ASW 8) Coming a couple days early and staying a day late to check out Chicago since I've never been before.

dclaw93
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 9:44 am

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby dclaw93 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:23 pm

brinicolec wrote:Just booked my flight + hotel for ASW 8) Coming a couple days early and staying a day late to check out Chicago since I've never been before.

You staying near NU or somewhere further out? I'm trying to figure out what I wanna do.

2000andBeyond
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby 2000andBeyond » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:28 pm

brinicolec wrote:Just booked my flight + hotel for ASW 8) Coming a couple days early and staying a day late to check out Chicago since I've never been before.


Exciting!!

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:29 pm

dclaw93 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Just booked my flight + hotel for ASW 8) Coming a couple days early and staying a day late to check out Chicago since I've never been before.

You staying near NU or somewhere further out? I'm trying to figure out what I wanna do.


Staying near NU at the Warwick. Doesn't have terrible or great reviews (just okay) and is an older spot but the Northwestern discount for a queen bed is $100/night + tax. 10 minute walk to the law school. Residence Inn has a room for $169/night too at their Magnificent Mile location but since I'll be there 6 nights, that adds up lol.

If you're looking for something more affordable, I'd definitely say look somewhere else because other than those two discounts, everything was in the 200s (or higher)

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:30 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Just booked my flight + hotel for ASW 8) Coming a couple days early and staying a day late to check out Chicago since I've never been before.


Exciting!!


I know. I can't wait! Lol

User avatar
BruiseWillis
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:34 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby BruiseWillis » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:47 pm

brinicolec wrote:
dclaw93 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Just booked my flight + hotel for ASW 8) Coming a couple days early and staying a day late to check out Chicago since I've never been before.

You staying near NU or somewhere further out? I'm trying to figure out what I wanna do.


Staying near NU at the Warwick. Doesn't have terrible or great reviews (just okay) and is an older spot but the Northwestern discount for a queen bed is $100/night + tax. 10 minute walk to the law school. Residence Inn has a room for $169/night too at their Magnificent Mile location but since I'll be there 6 nights, that adds up lol.

If you're looking for something more affordable, I'd definitely say look somewhere else because other than those two discounts, everything was in the 200s (or higher)

Woah I didn't even know about the NU discount - I'm about to shamelessly copy you

2000andBeyond
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby 2000andBeyond » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:56 pm

brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:Just got my net ID and password info! #excited


How long did it take you to get that info after being admitted?


I was accepted on 1/31 so a long time lol

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:58 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:Just got my net ID and password info! #excited


How long did it take you to get that info after being admitted?


I was accepted on 1/31 so a long time lol



Hm, I wonder if it'll be faster now since it's almost March.


probably not though. they take their time! Lol

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:00 pm

BruiseWillis wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
dclaw93 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Just booked my flight + hotel for ASW 8) Coming a couple days early and staying a day late to check out Chicago since I've never been before.

You staying near NU or somewhere further out? I'm trying to figure out what I wanna do.


Staying near NU at the Warwick. Doesn't have terrible or great reviews (just okay) and is an older spot but the Northwestern discount for a queen bed is $100/night + tax. 10 minute walk to the law school. Residence Inn has a room for $169/night too at their Magnificent Mile location but since I'll be there 6 nights, that adds up lol.

If you're looking for something more affordable, I'd definitely say look somewhere else because other than those two discounts, everything was in the 200s (or higher)

Woah I didn't even know about the NU discount - I'm about to shamelessly copy you


Lol, I went off of this list: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/about/v ... modations/

I called around (not everywhere on the list, just a handful of them) and some places either didn't have any discount or didn't have any rooms available under the discount.

If you do, let me know. Maybe we can meet up and walk to the school together or something during ASW!

dclaw93
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 9:44 am

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby dclaw93 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:03 pm

brinicolec wrote:
dclaw93 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Just booked my flight + hotel for ASW 8) Coming a couple days early and staying a day late to check out Chicago since I've never been before.

You staying near NU or somewhere further out? I'm trying to figure out what I wanna do.


Staying near NU at the Warwick. Doesn't have terrible or great reviews (just okay) and is an older spot but the Northwestern discount for a queen bed is $100/night + tax. 10 minute walk to the law school. Residence Inn has a room for $169/night too at their Magnificent Mile location but since I'll be there 6 nights, that adds up lol.

If you're looking for something more affordable, I'd definitely say look somewhere else because other than those two discounts, everything was in the 200s (or higher)

Good to know, thanks!! That sounds like a good option, I may end up doing that too




Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests