Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

How decided are you on NU?

Tuition deposit is in and I'm ready to go!
38%
Tuition deposit not in, but it's an emphatic yes
6%
Planning on committing if they give me the right coins (i.e. scholly reconsideration)
13%
Still conflicted
13%
That's gonna be a no for me
30%

Total votes: 63

thatlawlkid

Gold

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Post by thatlawlkid » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:48 am

ckb614 wrote:Seems like most apartments say "available now" so probably too early for an August move-in. My go-to resources are padmapper.com and apartments.com and I'm looking at places near the red line north of Pritzker
Cool thanks. The red line is a public transportation route correct? (Really not kidding about inexperience with cities :lol: )

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:20 am

thatlawlkid wrote:
ckb614 wrote:Seems like most apartments say "available now" so probably too early for an August move-in. My go-to resources are padmapper.com and apartments.com and I'm looking at places near the red line north of Pritzker
Cool thanks. The red line is a public transportation route correct? (Really not kidding about inexperience with cities :lol: )
red line is the public transit that runs closest to the school. Brown line drops you off like a 5-7 min walk further away from the school, so also an option imo. Red runs 24 hrs, brown does NOT (see hours)

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:23 am

Thanks guy! I have like 8 different tabs up right now looking over maps and stuff. Are there suggested neighborhoods to target? I'm looking to keep life as reasonably cheap as possible, and will probably want a roommate provided i can find a noncrazy.

xandra_v

Bronze

Post by xandra_v » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:23 am

guybourdin wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
red line is the public transit that runs closest to the school. Brown line drops you off like a 5-7 min walk further away from the school, so also an option imo. Red runs 24 hrs, brown does NOT (see hours)
There are also buses that stop close to campus whose routes could be worth investigating!

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:36 pm

xandra_v wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:Anyone else waiting till July to sign a lease?
Yup! Waiting til early July/late June. But trying to live in South Loop and not right near campus (moving in with my S/O)
Awesome, good to know!

Also, NU gives us a Metra pass, correct?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:38 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
xandra_v wrote:
Yup! Waiting til early July/late June. But trying to live in South Loop and not right near campus (moving in with my S/O)
Awesome, good to know!

I'm pretty sure we get a U pass that's good for all CTA (El + Bus system). I don't think that applies to the Metra, but I could be wrong.

ETA: Here is more info: http://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/campus- ... -pass.html

"Q: Can I use my U-Pass on Pace suburban buses and Metra commuter train lines?
A: U-Passes may be used as fare cards on Pace buses: students may load money onto their U-Pass and use it to ride Pace. Pace fares are not included as part of the U-Pass program. Metra commuter train lines do not accept U-Passes."

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:45 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
xandra_v wrote:
Awesome, good to know!

I'm pretty sure we get a U pass that's good for all CTA (El + Bus system). I don't think that applies to the Metra, but I could be wrong.

A: U-Passes may be used as fare cards on Pace buses: students may load money onto their U-Pass and use it to ride Pace. Pace fares are not included as part of the U-Pass program. Metra commuter train lines do not accept U-Passes."
I think I'm just ignorant about what the bus/train system is called haha. So buses and trains within the city are on NU's tab?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:54 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
xandra_v wrote:
Awesome, good to know!

I'm pretty sure we get a U pass that's good for all CTA (L + Bus system). I don't think that applies to the Metra, but I could be wrong.

I think I'm just ignorant about what the bus/train system is called haha. So buses and trains within the city are on NU's tab?
For the most part, yes. The L (http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/ ... RedAsh.pdf) and CTA busses will be free. The Pace busses and Metra will not be free, but you shouldn't really ever NEED to use them. I've lived in the area for several years now, and I've never used anything but the L, CTA busses, and my own two legs. I genuinely don't even know how the Pace/Metra work, except that the Metra can be useful if you want to go further outside of the city limits (see: https://metrarail.com/maps-schedules/system-map).

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:31 am

carsondalywashere wrote:So buses and trains within the city are on NU's tab?
No, just the CTA. There are metra stops inside the city. If you're looking for an apartment anything on the colored train lines (red, brown, blue, purple, green, orange, pink, etc) are covered.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:55 pm

guybourdin wrote:
No, just the CTA. There are metra stops inside the city. If you're looking for an apartment anything on the colored train lines (red, brown, blue, purple, green, orange, pink, etc) are covered.
Awesome; I imagine that's all I'll need. Heard there was a 15 minute bus ride from Lakeview, so was thinking of hitting that up

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:00 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Awesome; I imagine that's all I'll need. Heard there was a 15 minute bus ride from Lakeview, so was thinking of hitting that up
That's probably the Lakeshore bus so as close to the lake as possible would be ideal

jamjmont

New

Post by jamjmont » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:49 am

Places are starting to show up, but they go on and off the market quickly, it seems. I signed a lease this week for an apartment near the school with a late July move-in.

nsteinberg

New

Post by nsteinberg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:38 pm

Hello Class of 2020!

In case anyone is still on the search for housing, my 1-bedroom apartment in Lakeview (about a 20 minute commute to the law school) will be available on August 1.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/6150679877.html

Feel free to contact me with any questions at: nicolesteinberg2019@nlaw.northwestern.edu.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:58 am

How does everyone deal with having the 12 month lease, especially for 1l? Do you just hope to find something paying for the summer after or budget your loans for 12 months instead of 9? Starting to look at places and unsure of what my move will be for next summer.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:43 am

thatlawlkid wrote:How does everyone deal with having the 12 month lease, especially for 1l? Do you just hope to find something paying for the summer after or budget your loans for 12 months instead of 9? Starting to look at places and unsure of what my move will be for next summer.
Disclaimer: Also a 0L

Well, Northwestern gives you $8,000 for your first summer if you do PI/Gov't and have completed 20 volunteer hours for the Student Funded Public Interest Fellowships (SFPIF) (https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2 ... affordable), so you could stay in Chicago for your first summer and use that money to pay your rent/live. Otherwise, if you get a paying gig elsewhere, you'd have to use it to cover rent in two places or find someone to sublet your place in Chicago. Personally, I just plan on finding an unpaid PI/Gov't gig in Chicago, whatever that may be, and using the $8,000 grant.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:45 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:How does everyone deal with having the 12 month lease, especially for 1l? Do you just hope to find something paying for the summer after or budget your loans for 12 months instead of 9? Starting to look at places and unsure of what my move will be for next summer.
Disclaimer: Also a 0L

Well, Northwestern gives you $8,000 for your first summer if you do PI/Gov't and have completed 20 volunteer hours for the Student Funded Public Interest Fellowships (SFPIF) (https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2 ... affordable), so you could stay in Chicago for your first summer and use that money to pay your rent/live. Otherwise, if you get a paying gig elsewhere, you'd have to use it to cover rent in two places or find someone to sublet your place in Chicago. Personally, I just plan on finding an unpaid PI/Gov't gig in Chicago, whatever that may be, and using the $8,000 grant.
Yeah I guess that looks like a pretty decent option, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:09 pm

So whats this last piece of SWAG? I find Cristina's emails funny.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:15 pm

summer reading?

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:21 pm

guybourdin wrote:summer reading?
Oh man "summer reading" brings back memories - I've never heard of it for law school though. I am interested in seeing Dean Rodriguez's new (optional) reading list.

BruiseWillis

Bronze

Post by BruiseWillis » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:30 pm

btruj777 wrote:So whats this last piece of SWAG? I find Cristina's emails funny.
Better be some article of clothing after they jilted us at ASW

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:37 pm

BruiseWillis wrote:
btruj777 wrote:So whats this last piece of SWAG? I find Cristina's emails funny.
Well, it's June, so maybe they'll send a sweater we can't wear for 4 months!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

xandra_v

Bronze

Post by xandra_v » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:41 pm

guybourdin wrote:
BruiseWillis wrote:
As someone who gets Chicago weather I'm definitely starting my sweater collection now, ha!

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:43 pm

BruiseWillis wrote:

Preach.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:44 pm

xandra_v wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
BruiseWillis wrote:
As someone who gets Chicago weather I'm definitely starting my sweater collection now, ha!
Chicago tip: your wool sock collection needs to be much deeper than your sweater collection.

xandra_v

Bronze

Post by xandra_v » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:45 pm

guybourdin wrote:
xandra_v wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
BruiseWillis wrote:
Chicago tip: your wool sock collection needs to be much deeper than your sweater collection.
Oh I started building collection last winter--I feel you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”