Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

How decided are you on NU?

Tuition deposit is in and I'm ready to go!
38%
Tuition deposit not in, but it's an emphatic yes
6%
Planning on committing if they give me the right coins (i.e. scholly reconsideration)
13%
Still conflicted
13%
That's gonna be a no for me
30%

Total votes: 63

2000andBeyond

Silver

Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Post by 2000andBeyond » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:14 pm

Welcome to the Northwestern Pritzker School of Law Class of 2020!

Important dates:
February 15: Deadline for receipt of completed JD application
March 1: Deadline for receipt of FAFSA, the Need Access Application, and the Scholarship and Grant Supplemental applications
March 15: Interviewing period ends
August 21 - 27: Orientation
August 28: First day of classes

Useful links:
School Website
Social Media
2016 Entering Class Profile
Tuition Rates and Expenses
Bluhm Legal Clinic
Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions
CAESAR
Sample 1L Schedule
Canvas
Northwestern Law: A to Z
Dean Rodriguez's Pre-Law Student Reading List
Aetna Student Health Services

Previous Polls:

*Thanks Cochran's 2019 Thread. I am willing to cede the OP of this thread at a later date.
Last edited by 2000andBeyond on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Post by 2000andBeyond » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:16 pm

Yay!! Thanks for taking the initiative!!!

Are any of you all struggling to write your "why i deserve money" essays? :(

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:20 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:Yay!! Thanks for taking the initiative!!!

I already submitted something that I HOPE will be persuasive. Guess I won't know for another month +. Helps that I already know my scholarship amount to Mich for sure though. And having to respond to Georgetown's feeler email gave me a good foundation answer to use.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:24 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

I already submitted something that I HOPE will be persuasive. Guess I won't know for another month +. Helps that I already know my scholarship amount to Mich for sure though. And having to respond to Georgetown's feeler email gave me a good foundation answer to use.
That's great. I guess it's good training on persuasive writing lol. I'm looking to submit something this Friday! GOOD LUCK!

XUMickeal

New

Post by XUMickeal » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

Hi! Sorry for quoting. I think we're in pretty similar boats. Im just wondering if you mentioned Mich's scholly offer in that essay. On one hand, I'd think it might alleviate further burden of reconsideration if they take that into consideration at the very beginning. On the other, I feel like it does not necessarily fit into what they are asking for in that essay.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:36 pm

XUMickeal wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

Hi! Sorry for quoting. I think we're in pretty similar boats. Im just wondering if you mentioned Mich's scholly offer in that essay. On one hand, I'd think it might alleviate further burden of reconsideration if they take that into consideration at the very beginning. On the other, I feel like it does not necessarily fit into what they are asking for in that essay.
I did mention it (though didn't mention Michigan specifically). Put it in the context of here's my situation (i.e. I'm paying for law school myself, based on career goals I don't want to take on too much debt etc etc.) and made it only a tiny portion of my assessment of my position for merit aid. Basically just said this is something else I'll need to consider when making a decision.

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:10 pm

Just turned mine in today. I'm an air force vet, so I just talked about how I'll bring an interesting perspective to the student body. Also talked about how I finished my grad degree while having a full time stressful military job. Also mentioned my Michigan offer in the financial situation portion, thought they would probably like to know.

Now I just have to wait and see if there is any $$$ for me!

BruiseWillis

Bronze

Post by BruiseWillis » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:21 pm

Checking in, what up future fam

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Post by cantyoloforever » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:57 am

Is merit aid awarded on a rolling basis, or will they not look at apps until they are in after March 1st?
Last edited by cantyoloforever on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

glockov

New

Post by glockov » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:16 am

Checking in, looking forward to seeing y'all in the fall.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:36 am

cantyoloforever wrote:Is merit aid awarded on a rolling basis, or will they not look at apps until they are in after March 1st?
last year I don't think anyone started hearing back until the last week of March. I don't know when the deadline to submit was, though.

votebuilder1

New

Post by votebuilder1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:43 am

Checking in!! :D

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Thank you for this. Checking In. Very excited about Northwestern

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Checking in, anyone solicited any $$ for visiting NU? I'm from the Northeast

NUDad

New

Post by NUDad » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:Checking in, anyone solicited any $$ for visiting NU? I'm from the Northeast
In the past NU has given a travel stipend for ASW (Admitted Students Weekend), but I'm not aware of any $$ for travel outside of that weekend.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:57 pm

NUDad wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Checking in, anyone solicited any $$ for visiting NU? I'm from the Northeast
In the past NU has given a travel stipend for ASW (Admitted Students Weekend), but I'm not aware of any $$ for travel outside of that weekend.
Thank you! I'll definitely email them. I didn't find any talk of the ASW online, will the information be sent to me with the booklet or just later on through email correspondence?

NUDad

New

Post by NUDad » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:12 am

Here's a link for the Northwestern ASW April 7-8:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/newstudent/

"Additional information will be added as it becomes available, so be sure to bookmark this page and check back frequently."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:03 am

NUDad wrote:Here's a link for the Northwestern ASW April 7-8:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/newstudent/

"Additional information will be added as it becomes available, so be sure to bookmark this page and check back frequently."

Thank you so much!

notsolawful

Bronze

Post by notsolawful » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:05 am

I did some looking into apartments recommended by the law school and the estimated cost of attendance for 9 months of room and board, $14,040. This comes to 1555 a month. The cheapest studio I saw is $1300, leaving $255 for a month's worth of food and utilities. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/law-sch ... s/housing/
What am I missing? Do most students have roommates? Are there cheaper apartments I don't see?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 am

notsolawful wrote:I did some looking into apartments recommended by the law school and the estimated cost of attendance for 9 months of room and board, $14,040. This comes to 1555 a month. The cheapest studio I saw is $1300, leaving $255 for a month's worth of food and utilities. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/law-sch ... s/housing/
What am I missing? Do most students have roommates? Are there cheaper apartments I don't see?
You know I was raised in NYC when $14k for 9 months sounds cheap and affordable to me.

Edit: Here at least you get nice apartments in one of the best neighborhoods.

notsolawful

Bronze

Post by notsolawful » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:12 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
notsolawful wrote:I did some looking into apartments recommended by the law school and the estimated cost of attendance for 9 months of room and board, $14,040. This comes to 1555 a month. The cheapest studio I saw is $1300, leaving $255 for a month's worth of food and utilities. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/law-sch ... s/housing/
You know I was raised in NYC when $14k for 9 months sounds cheap and affordable to me.

Yeah, I wasn't clear in my original post. I don't think 14k is enough for 9 months. I'd struggle to live on $255 a month after rent. I'm saying the CoL should be higher so that we can get more loans to afford the location.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:19 am

notsolawful wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't clear in my original post. I don't think 14k is enough for 9 months. I'd struggle to live on $255 a month after rent. I'm saying the CoL should be higher so that we can get more loans to afford the location.
Sorry, I misunderstood!

That does sound insane. $255 for food and utilities a month?

We can't take out more loans? That's definitely not do-able. See above for the one meal a day - no heating guy.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:20 am

You're missing the fact that Mag Mile is the most expensive neighborhood in Chicago. Choose another neighborhood, and you'll find deals. Scout out Craigslist to get a good idea. You'll get a Ventra card to take the train/bus anywhere, so live somewhere else if money is an issue. Humboldt Park, New Town, Rogers Park, Lincoln Park, etc. Also, as with any major city, roommates are most likely your best option if you cannot afford to live by yourself. They know what they're doing with COL prices.

notsolawful

Bronze

Post by notsolawful » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:28 pm

fips tedora wrote:
You're missing the fact that Mag Mile is the most expensive neighborhood in Chicago. Choose another neighborhood, and you'll find deals. Scout out Craigslist to get a good idea. You'll get a Ventra card to take the train/bus anywhere, so live somewhere else if money is an issue. Humboldt Park, New Town, Rogers Park, Lincoln Park, etc. Also, as with any major city, roommates are most likely your best option if you cannot afford to live by yourself. They know what they're doing with COL prices.
Yeah, I understand it's the most expensive area. I was just wondering about the discrepancy between Northwestern's recommendations and their cost of attendance. I guess everything appears as it is and I should suck it up and live somewhere farther away from the law school.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:34 pm

notsolawful wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
Yeah, I understand it's the most expensive area. I was just wondering about the discrepancy between Northwestern's recommendations and their cost of attendance. I guess everything appears as it is and I should suck it up and live somewhere farther away from the law school.
They almost expect you to get a roommate or multiple roommates, and if you do, you'll find that that is more than enough.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”