Harvard Law School - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you gonna live?

On-Campus HLS housing
34%
Off-Campus Harvard University Housing
13%
Central Sq.
No votes
Davis Sq./Somerville
8%
Harvard Sq.
26%
Inman Sq.
3%
Kendall Sq.
No votes
Porter Sq.
8%
Other
8%

Total votes: 62

jebbush2k20

New

Re: Harvard Law School - Class of 2020

Post by jebbush2k20 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:56 pm

I'm going to the ASW but I can't log into anything HLS-related (records say I haven't claimed my key, but when I try, it says key already claimed, etc. etc.) I'm working that out with HLS IT, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick rundown or scan of the ASW schedule? I'm flying Friday afternoon and Monday evening so I don't think I'll miss anything, but I'd love to have an idea of how it's going to go!

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:33 pm

jebbush2k20 wrote:I'm going to the ASW but I can't log into anything HLS-related (records say I haven't claimed my key, but when I try, it says key already claimed, etc. etc.) I'm working that out with HLS IT, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick rundown or scan of the ASW schedule? I'm flying Friday afternoon and Monday evening so I don't think I'll miss anything, but I'd love to have an idea of how it's going to go!
PMed!

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Y'all--TLS meetup at Border Cafe this weekend, y/y?

VapidP

Bronze

Post by VapidP » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:00 am

Has anyone else confirmed enrollment? How long did it take for you to get your confirmation email?

jebbush2k20

New

Post by jebbush2k20 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:11 am

KateMcKitten wrote:
jebbush2k20 wrote:I'm going to the ASW but I can't log into anything HLS-related (records say I haven't claimed my key, but when I try, it says key already claimed, etc. etc.) I'm working that out with HLS IT, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick rundown or scan of the ASW schedule? I'm flying Friday afternoon and Monday evening so I don't think I'll miss anything, but I'd love to have an idea of how it's going to go!
PMed!
thank you ma'am!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:15 am

VapidP wrote:Has anyone else confirmed enrollment? How long did it take for you to get your confirmation email?
Yes, it took me 2 business days (and a weekend) to get the confirmation email.

guppiesbaby

New

Post by guppiesbaby » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:17 pm

Submitted some tax documents via fax mid-afternoon on Friday and they still haven't been marked as received yet. Safe to guess that fin aid is just slammed right now, and will process soon? I don't want to bother them when they're probably very busy but since it was a fax I'm slightly worried it didn't get through...

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:45 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:Y'all--TLS meetup at Border Cafe this weekend, y/y?
y/y/y. Super in. I get in late friday night! Ready to toast

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:49 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
Same! Would Saturday, Sunday (post-John Harvard's Brew House), or Monday night work best?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:58 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Same! Would Saturday, Sunday (post-John Harvard's Brew House), or Monday night work best?
any of the above! for me

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:42 pm

do y'all think it'd be worth it going to ASW if I'm only able to attend diversity day on Saturday? I teach classes Sunday and Monday night ~4 hours away so I could drive in Friday night and leave Sunday morning. Just not sure if I'm gonna get a whole lot out of it to justify the drive

abck99

New

Post by abck99 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:07 pm

For people who don't want to go back to dorms, what're your thoughts/plans for housing next year?

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:22 pm

addie1412 wrote:do y'all think it'd be worth it going to ASW if I'm only able to attend diversity day on Saturday? I teach classes Sunday and Monday night ~4 hours away so I could drive in Friday night and leave Sunday morning. Just not sure if I'm gonna get a whole lot out of it to justify the drive
idk if asw is useful at all for people who have already committed to a school? im only going because i guess i should meet people or something

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:28 pm

abck99 wrote:For people who don't want to go back to dorms, what're your thoughts/plans for housing next year?
R. Jeeves wrote: im only going because i guess i should meet people or something
You could combine these two ideas, abck99, and find potential roomies at ASW? Then go shopping on Zillow/other similar websites.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:26 pm

abck99 wrote:For people who don't want to go back to dorms, what're your thoughts/plans for housing next year?
apartment walking distance away. that's as far as i've gotten!

eileengrey

New

Post by eileengrey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:10 am

HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
any of the above! for me
That would be fantastic! Any of those days work for me.

drjekyllope

New

Post by drjekyllope » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:09 am

does anyone have any wisdom on asking Harvard for more money? will they only budge in response to a better offer from Yale? is it worth it to just write and say "hi, your algorithm is wack, help me i'm poor"?

they already offered a lil chunk of change but it would be really sweet if they doubled (or, preferably, quadrupled) it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:46 am

eileengrey wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
any of the above! for me
Wooo three's enough for me! Let's do Saturday so we can know somebody the next day. 8:30 pm at Border Cafe?

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:02 am

drjekyllope wrote:does anyone have any wisdom on asking Harvard for more money? will they only budge in response to a better offer from Yale? is it worth it to just write and say "hi, your algorithm is wack, help me i'm poor"?

they already offered a lil chunk of change but it would be really sweet if they doubled (or, preferably, quadrupled) it.
great q - i'm getting my aid supposedly sometime this week and was wondering the same. I thought HLS was v generous overall in terms of aid?

bloomsday

Bronze

Post by bloomsday » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:05 am

Last edited by bloomsday on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:06 am

bloomsday wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
drjekyllope wrote:does anyone have any wisdom on asking Harvard for more money? will they only budge in response to a better offer from Yale? is it worth it to just write and say "hi, your algorithm is wack, help me i'm poor"?

great q - i'm getting my aid supposedly sometime this week and was wondering the same. I thought HLS was v generous overall in terms of aid?
Stanford gave me significantly more aid, and Harvard didn't budge their offer in response. Your results may vary.
Hmm - that's odd because for undergrad Harvard is known to be one of the most generous. I guess we'll just see.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bloomsday

Bronze

Post by bloomsday » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:16 am

Last edited by bloomsday on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:17 am

bloomsday wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
bloomsday wrote:
taxman14 wrote:

Stanford gave me significantly more aid, and Harvard didn't budge their offer in response. Your results may vary.
Hmm - that's odd because for undergrad Harvard is known to be one of the most generous. I guess we'll just see.
I mean, undergrad vs law financial aid at these schools are completely separate and incomparable systems--for example, colleges like HYS meet full (assessed) need without requiring students to take out loans. The law schools obviously require you to meet some threshold of borrowing first. So I'm not sure why you think that matters.
Fair fair - I mean at the end of the day each person's situation is totally unique. I'm sure that one school isn't actually more generous than the other.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:19 am

KateMcKitten wrote:
eileengrey wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
any of the above! for me
Wooo three's enough for me! Let's do Saturday so we can know somebody the next day. 8:30 pm at Border Cafe?
I'll try to come thru if stuff from diversity day isn't still going on.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:21 am

Just got my book yesterday. "The Future of Violence: robots and germs, hackers and drones". The cover is red and has a robot spider on it. Pretty cool.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”