Harvard Law School - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you gonna live?

On-Campus HLS housing
34%
Off-Campus Harvard University Housing
13%
Central Sq.
No votes
Davis Sq./Somerville
8%
Harvard Sq.
26%
Inman Sq.
3%
Kendall Sq.
No votes
Porter Sq.
8%
Other
8%

Total votes: 62

R. Jeeves

Gold

Re: Harvard Law School - Class of 2020

Post by R. Jeeves » Sun May 14, 2017 8:44 pm

taxman14 wrote:Can someone start a poll about where people are living - I'm curious
done

someone feel free to give me suggestions for the poll options. maybe there's an important area that im missing.

GoBucks6612

New

Post by GoBucks6612 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:13 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
taxman14 wrote:Can someone start a poll about where people are living - I'm curious
done

someone feel free to give me suggestions for the poll options. maybe there's an important area that im missing.
I'm living up by Alewife Station - not sure how popular this is but I've heard a decent number of people live up there from the Family and Couples Association.

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:39 pm

hey all! checking in - already living in cambridge bc I'm a dual degree, happy to answer questions about neighborhoods and housing! see you guys in the fall :D

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:33 am

WL admit checking in! Now to deal with financial aid and housing (likely doing a studio or 1BR - looking for a nice HUH building).

jayohtee

New

Post by jayohtee » Thu May 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Graduating 3L here whose unit in 29 Garden either just went back on the market or should be (person who picked it decided to pass, I guess). Figured I'd share the info since I know initial pick time have passed. If you have questions about 29 Garden, feel free to PM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Thu May 18, 2017 2:32 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:WL admit checking in! Now to deal with financial aid and housing (likely doing a studio or 1BR - looking for a nice HUH building).
Welcome to you and all our new classmates from yesterday <3 Can't wait to meet y'all in the fall.

cannonballer

Bronze

Post by cannonballer » Thu May 18, 2017 4:26 pm

Finally checking in here, I'll be entering in the fall after a one-year deferral. Looking forward to meeting you all!

MnM22

Bronze

Post by MnM22 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Hey, y'all. Graduating 3L with a 2 bedroom apartment across the street from the school. My landlord really liked us and wants law students. We are leaving end of May, so June rent is paid for! Check out the ad here: https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/abo/6138583774.html

kubakuba

New

Post by kubakuba » Tue May 23, 2017 4:09 am

Hi all! Last week's admit checking in!

A small question: how long did you need to wait for the HLS email account and Harvard University ID? Without it I can't access the admitted students website -- but would like to get the college certification form and get it signed while I'm still in my country.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:16 am

kubakuba wrote:Hi all! Last week's admit checking in!

A small question: how long did you need to wait for the HLS email account and Harvard University ID? Without it I can't access the admitted students website -- but would like to get the college certification form and get it signed while I'm still in my country.
So I also had this issue since I'm leaving the country for work this summer, and I called and they emailed me the PDF of the certification form. Haven't gotten the other stuff yet tho such as the HUID

shao

New

Post by shao » Thu May 25, 2017 10:36 am

Is it true that I can't deal with financial aid or apply for houses until I receive my HUID?
5.17 admit heard nothing :(
Can anyone check if the HLS apartments are still available?
Thanks!

dwall1121

New

Post by dwall1121 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi everyone! I am a recent admit from the last wave of waitlist acceptances and I was wondering if anyone could answer my question about the college certification form? I have a pdf of the form, but haven't been able to access the admitted students website yet since I was accepted less than a week ago. I was wondering if on the directions on the admitted students page if it lists which undergraduate faculty members qualify to fill out the bottom part of the form? On the form it says dean or other administrative officials, and I was looking for more clarification of the last part, such as if academic advisors acceptable by chance? Thanks and can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!!

cannonballer

Bronze

Post by cannonballer » Tue May 30, 2017 2:19 pm

dwall1121 wrote:Hi everyone! I am a recent admit from the last wave of waitlist acceptances and I was wondering if anyone could answer my question about the college certification form? I have a pdf of the form, but haven't been able to access the admitted students website yet since I was accepted less than a week ago. I was wondering if on the directions on the admitted students page if it lists which undergraduate faculty members qualify to fill out the bottom part of the form? On the form it says dean or other administrative officials, and I was looking for more clarification of the last part, such as if academic advisors acceptable by chance? Thanks and can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!!
Your university is the one to ask about this - different people have different privileges as far as what information they can look up and what forms they can sign. When I called to find out who would fill out my certification I got the runaround from various offices, including the Registrar and the Dean's Office, before someone agreed to fill it out (I think they were from the Office of Academic Services).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dwall1121

New

Post by dwall1121 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:54 pm

cannonballer wrote:
dwall1121 wrote:Hi everyone! I am a recent admit from the last wave of waitlist acceptances and I was wondering if anyone could answer my question about the college certification form? I have a pdf of the form, but haven't been able to access the admitted students website yet since I was accepted less than a week ago. I was wondering if on the directions on the admitted students page if it lists which undergraduate faculty members qualify to fill out the bottom part of the form? On the form it says dean or other administrative officials, and I was looking for more clarification of the last part, such as if academic advisors acceptable by chance? Thanks and can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!!
Your university is the one to ask about this - different people have different privileges as far as what information they can look up and what forms they can sign. When I called to find out who would fill out my certification I got the runaround from various offices, including the Registrar and the Dean's Office, before someone agreed to fill it out (I think they were from the Office of Academic Services).
thank you! :D

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:42 am

Hi,
Super recent admit and I was wondering whether anyone would mind telling me if there is any HLS or HUH housing left? This will really help me out in determining whether I need to start scoping out apartments on the private market immediately.

jlet0314

New

Post by jlet0314 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:38 pm

curry1 wrote:Hi,
Super recent admit and I was wondering whether anyone would mind telling me if there is any HLS or HUH housing left? This will really help me out in determining whether I need to start scoping out apartments on the private market immediately.
Just checked - nothing left as of 6/14 12:40 EST.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:40 pm

jlet0314 wrote:
curry1 wrote:Hi,
Just checked - nothing left as of 6/14 12:40 EST.
Great, thank you so much!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

goldescholes

New

Post by goldescholes » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:50 pm

jlet, were you just looking at HUH? HLS housing has a ton of rooms left, in Gropius (34 singles) and Hastings (20, virtually all 2BR suites, maybe 1-2 1BR suite) only, however.

With that said, all the HLS graduates at my firm(spanning from mid 90s to late 2000s) have all told me avoid Gropius at all costs, as apparently it really is awful. And to clarify, they aren't rich snobs with a distaste for the proletariat so I would take their words into consideration.

jlet0314

New

Post by jlet0314 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:10 pm

goldescholes wrote:jlet, were you just looking at HUH? HLS housing has a ton of rooms left, in Gropius (34 singles) and Hastings (20, virtually all 2BR suites, maybe 1-2 1BR suite) only, however.

With that said, all the HLS graduates at my firm(spanning from mid 90s to late 2000s) have all told me avoid Gropius at all costs, as apparently it really is awful. And to clarify, they aren't rich snobs with a distaste for the proletariat so I would take their words into consideration.
Sorry for the confusion, I was just looking at HUH.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:02 pm

Please check into the destinations thread if you haven't yet. thanks!

pikachoo

New

Post by pikachoo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:43 am

Last edited by pikachoo on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cannonballer

Bronze

Post by cannonballer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:55 pm

pikachoo wrote:Guys!

Does anyone know how to complete the immunization forms?

I haven't had insurance for like... 6 years and um... I don't have a primary doctor or anything.

How are we supposed to provide a record of all the immunizations we got?

Thanks guys!
I was able to get my old pediatrician to send me my immunization record. My sister, who is older, couldn't get hers from her pediatrician but was able to get hers from her undergraduate institution, where presumably she had sent it when she originally enrolled. My husband had no record at all but was able to get a blood test to prove his immunization. If you don't have insurance to get the test, I recommend calling/emailing campus health services and asking if you can make an appointment to get tested, as I believe they provide that service. If you already have your record but not a doctor to fill out the form, you may be able to just upload what you have and not worry about having a new doc sign off on it.

pikachoo

New

Post by pikachoo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:14 am

Last edited by pikachoo on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pikachoo

New

Post by pikachoo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:23 am

Last edited by pikachoo on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ml0606148

New

Post by ml0606148 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:35 am

pikachoo wrote:Just curious -- is anyone else facing an existential crisis at this moment? (1~2 months before school's supposed to start)
Honestly... getting into HLS has been a huge dream of mine for some time (ever since I was a kid?)
And I worked my butt off to get the GPA and the right LSAT score.

but after getting in, I feel emptier than ever before. It's like.... now what? What am I supposed to do?
I mean... yeah parents are happy and friends congratulate me... and it feels great...
but the excitement fades away pretty quickly and I'm left to wonder... now what?

Study hard to get into the Law Review? Fancy SA position at a fancy firm? Then what? Will it make me happy?

I feel extremely honored and humbled at the opportunity to attend such a fine institution as HLS but...
I feel like I'm at a total loss as to what to do next...
find out what you wanna do, there are some pretty hard dreams to accomplish even as a HLS graduate: getting clerkship in Supreme Court or prestigious federal courts (of course Law Review will help you hard on this), if not, look for the things you are interested in, the ending is always another beginning.

It is what you can do with your HLS JD degree rather than your HLS JD degree itself that matters.

---from a 0L student who did not get into HLS this year and dreaming hard to get in next year through transfer

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”