Harvard Law School - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you gonna live?

On-Campus HLS housing
34%
Off-Campus Harvard University Housing
13%
Central Sq.
No votes
Davis Sq./Somerville
8%
Harvard Sq.
26%
Inman Sq.
3%
Kendall Sq.
No votes
Porter Sq.
8%
Other
8%

Total votes: 62

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Re: Harvard Law School - Class of 2020

Post by HonestlyThough » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 pm

Pozzo wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
Pozzo wrote:Got my book today, "The World According to Star Wars." So unbelievably on point. You've truly stolen my heart now, Harvard.
Wow. We may need to trade books for a bit next year--that sounds right up my alley.
Sounds like a plan!
can I get in on this? after reading bargaining with the devil, i guess I should be able to pull off this negotiation...

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:48 pm

Lalalsat96 wrote:
twochipmunks wrote:
Lalalsat96 wrote:Hey i was hoping you guys who are attending HLS full price but were offered a decent scholarship at a lower school could explain why you chose to attend HLS over a great school for nearly free or free - this decision had been incredibly hard for me (i don't qualify for grants)
I'm not in this exact situation, but similar. Best scholly offer was half tuition at another T10, and if I had attended there my circumstances would be different (parental support, SO income, etc.) so that I would be virtually debt free to attend. But, I've decided to enroll at HLS with very minimal grants and won't be receiving nearly the amount of parental support that SFS says they figured my parents could contribute. (The amount was laughable - more than half of my parents' after-tax income; and they're not millionaires). The biggest factor in my decision was LIPP. I'm nearly certain I won't be going into BigLaw, so I'm basically planning to be living on LIPP for possibly the full 10 years. I determined that the student contribution expectation for LIPP was acceptable for my lifestyle, so the massive amount of debt I'm about to take on has much less significance. I realized that LIPP is arguably better than a full tuition scholly at another school in some situations since LIPP will cover tuition+living expenses. So, I determined that attending HLS and going into state government was the best value offer I've received.
Thank you so I really want to be a state assistant attorney general in employment, civil rights or something else I have not decided but usually u need some litigation experience so I would totally be open to working in biglaw for a couple years at most. Honestly I just want to be flexible in my job choices since idk what law I want to do. I just am terrified of having an essential mortgage bc i get to say I went to Harvard/Standford. At the same time either of these schools have are too amazing to pass up. I also heard lipp isn't too great if you make like 80k bc then it is very minimal. Any weight to the former?

throwing in my two cents! I have full tuition at several T13s, including in the T6, and I'm still probably going HLS. For one, I think the location is a better fit (will confirm this weekend?). But the biggest pragmatic factor is what chipmunks said: LIPP is amazing. I'm aiming for PI/Policy and the flexibility of LIPP is unbeatable for me in terms of being able to explore those interests. Also, Harvard's name carries a lot of weight in those fields...

Lalalsat96

New

Post by Lalalsat96 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:12 am

Last edited by Lalalsat96 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kinch08

Bronze

Post by Kinch08 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:24 am

R. Jeeves wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
eileengrey wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:Y'all--TLS meetup at Border Cafe this weekend, y/y?
y/y/y. Super in. I get in late friday night! Ready to toast
Same! Would Saturday, Sunday (post-John Harvard's Brew House), or Monday night work best?
any of the above! for me
That would be fantastic! Any of those days work for me.
Wooo three's enough for me! Let's do Saturday so we can know somebody the next day. 8:30 pm at Border Cafe?
I'll try to come thru if stuff from diversity day isn't still going on.

I'll show up to this.

And my book was "Simpler" by Cass Sunstein. Fairly on point, actually.

cathy95

New

Post by cathy95 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:19 am

drjekyllope wrote:does anyone have any wisdom on asking Harvard for more money? will they only budge in response to a better offer from Yale? is it worth it to just write and say "hi, your algorithm is wack, help me i'm poor"?

they already offered a lil chunk of change but it would be really sweet if they doubled (or, preferably, quadrupled) it.
Tried, didn't work. Also it took them about three weeks to get back to me instead of the promised two.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:46 am

Super excited to see everyone tonight at 8:30 at Border Cafe!

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:24 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:Super excited to see everyone tonight at 8:30 at Border Cafe!
Oh noes the HLS FB group is planning drinks tonight. We want to move this to tomorrow night or nah? I have intense FOMO when double booked but also need to meet my TLS ride or dies

Kinch08

Bronze

Post by Kinch08 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:26 pm

Down to move it tbh, I kinda wanna meet the fb people as well

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Kinch08 wrote:Down to move it tbh, I kinda wanna meet the fb people as well
Excellent!

Executive decision: FB meetup tonight (PM me if you didn't see the post for deets). I figure we'll all be there, so if we want to out ourselves tonight we can, If we still want our *~*selective*~* TLS meetup, Monday post-farewell reception we can stumble over to Border Cafe. *bangs gavel*

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kinch08

Bronze

Post by Kinch08 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:07 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
Kinch08 wrote:Down to move it tbh, I kinda wanna meet the fb people as well
Excellent!

Executive decision: FB meetup tonight (PM me if you didn't see the post for deets). I figure we'll all be there, so if we want to out ourselves tonight we can, If we still want our *~*selective*~* TLS meetup, Monday post-farewell reception we can stumble over to Border Cafe. *bangs gavel*
Now that's what I call leadership.

twochipmunks

New

Post by twochipmunks » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Lalalsat96 wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Lalalsat96 wrote:
twochipmunks wrote:
Lalalsat96 wrote:Hey i was hoping you guys who are attending HLS full price but were offered a decent scholarship at a lower school could explain why you chose to attend HLS over a great school for nearly free or free - this decision had been incredibly hard for me (i don't qualify for grants)
I'm not in this exact situation, but similar. Best scholly offer was half tuition at another T10, and if I had attended there my circumstances would be different (parental support, SO income, etc.) so that I would be virtually debt free to attend. But, I've decided to enroll at HLS with very minimal grants and won't be receiving nearly the amount of parental support that SFS says they figured my parents could contribute. (The amount was laughable - more than half of my parents' after-tax income; and they're not millionaires). The biggest factor in my decision was LIPP. I'm nearly certain I won't be going into BigLaw, so I'm basically planning to be living on LIPP for possibly the full 10 years. I determined that the student contribution expectation for LIPP was acceptable for my lifestyle, so the massive amount of debt I'm about to take on has much less significance. I realized that LIPP is arguably better than a full tuition scholly at another school in some situations since LIPP will cover tuition+living expenses. So, I determined that attending HLS and going into state government was the best value offer I've received.
Thank you so I really want to be a state assistant attorney general in employment, civil rights or something else I have not decided but usually u need some litigation experience so I would totally be open to working in biglaw for a couple years at most. Honestly I just want to be flexible in my job choices since idk what law I want to do. I just am terrified of having an essential mortgage bc i get to say I went to Harvard/Standford. At the same time either of these schools have are too amazing to pass up. I also heard lipp isn't too great if you make like 80k bc then it is very minimal. Any weight to the former?

throwing in my two cents! I have full tuition at several T13s, including in the T6, and I'm still probably going HLS. For one, I think the location is a better fit (will confirm this weekend?). But the biggest pragmatic factor is what chipmunks said: LIPP is amazing. I'm aiming for PI/Policy and the flexibility of LIPP is unbeatable for me in terms of being able to explore those interests. Also, Harvard's name carries a lot of weight in those fields...
Thank you for this prospective! I definitely want to work for the government so public service rather than pi but I don't trust myself and in case I change my mind and do big law I have all that debt or even with lipp I would feel tied down. Honestly I just need to figure out what practice area I would like to do and that will determine a lot for me
Definitely do your research on the LIPP website. I made about 50 charts mapping out different potential career paths (and therefore different levels of income over 10 years) to see how LIPP would effect my take-home money after loans/taxes. Basically, if you're willing to accept the standard of living that would come with the left-overs after student contribution, LIPP will be a good fit for you. Either LIPP covers most your loan payments, or you make enough money to make the payments yourself. Your take-home money will remain about the same for the next 10 years, either way.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:56 am

just served on a death panel with KateMcKitten

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:15 pm

If you're not at John Harvard's...we just got Jessica Soban to take a shot with us and it was the greatest moment of my life. #blessed #JS3

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Post by LikelyThrowaway » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:11 am

twochipmunks wrote:
Lalalsat96 wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Lalalsat96 wrote:
twochipmunks wrote:

Thank you for this prospective! I definitely want to work for the government so public service rather than pi but I don't trust myself and in case I change my mind and do big law I have all that debt or even with lipp I would feel tied down. Honestly I just need to figure out what practice area I would like to do and that will determine a lot for me
Definitely do your research on the LIPP website. I made about 50 charts mapping out different potential career paths (and therefore different levels of income over 10 years) to see how LIPP would effect my take-home money after loans/taxes. Basically, if you're willing to accept the standard of living that would come with the left-overs after student contribution, LIPP will be a good fit for you. Either LIPP covers most your loan payments, or you make enough money to make the payments yourself. Your take-home money will remain about the same for the next 10 years, either way.
Is there any way I could see this chart?

twochipmunks

New

Post by twochipmunks » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:13 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote: Is there any way I could see this chart?
They were pretty personalized to me (I'm married, have children, home state tax rates; so I took these things into account since they influence things after graduation).

If you want to make your own, first estimate starting income for various jobs. Estimate what your income will be each year for 10 years by estimating raises/promotions/inflation. Then use the student contribution formula/chart on the website to see what you'd be expected to contribute for each income level (taking into account the allowances for dependents) to see what you'd have left over after making loan payments. And then figure what tax rates you'll be paying and subtract taxes. If you're handy with excel this can be done pretty quickly.

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:34 pm

For those that went to this past weekend's ASW, thoughts?

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:41 pm

TLS Meetup right meow at Border Cafe!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kinch08

Bronze

Post by Kinch08 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Aw shucks, gotta miss it.

Had a good ASW, real impressed with the school/the people, met one TLS lurker who was pretty cool (sup lurkers)

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm

Kinch08 wrote:Aw shucks, gotta miss it.

Had a good ASW, real impressed with the school/the people, met one TLS lurker who was pretty cool (sup lurkers)
Nooo! Next time. I met a squad of lurkers and they were delightful pls out yourself

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Post by LikelyThrowaway » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:23 pm

twochipmunks wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote: Is there any way I could see this chart?
They were pretty personalized to me (I'm married, have children, home state tax rates; so I took these things into account since they influence things after graduation).

If you want to make your own, first estimate starting income for various jobs. Estimate what your income will be each year for 10 years by estimating raises/promotions/inflation. Then use the student contribution formula/chart on the website to see what you'd be expected to contribute for each income level (taking into account the allowances for dependents) to see what you'd have left over after making loan payments. And then figure what tax rates you'll be paying and subtract taxes. If you're handy with excel this can be done pretty quickly.
Thank you for the advice! If I have a moment of less laziness than usual I'll give it a shot.

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:44 pm

crookedsmile wrote:For those that went to this past weekend's ASW, thoughts?
It was awesome!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:32 pm

LHS17 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:For those that went to this past weekend's ASW, thoughts?
It was awesome!
I was casually happy crying on and off all weekend. It felt like coming home to the best home ever. PM if you have specific questions!

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:17 am

Hello 0Ls! If any of you are moving to the area soon and looking for a sublet this summer, check out my apartment!

guppiesbaby

New

Post by guppiesbaby » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:40 am

Do we have our HUIDs yet?

93tarheel

New

Post by 93tarheel » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:11 pm

guppiesbaby wrote:Do we have our HUIDs yet?
If you do the HLS dorm application it pops up on one of the first couple screens. If you need it for the HUH application, that's where I got mine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”