Stanford Law School c/o 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

How many $$$ from SLS will make it a final contender for you?

All of the $$$.
19%
More than the median grant (~23k)
23%
Enh, median grant is fine
15%
As long as it's something, even less than median grant, I'm cool wit that
8%
$0 I am already committed baby, no matter what. Some money would be nice doe
35%

Total votes: 52

dietcoke1

Silver

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2020

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:45 pm

not an admit (sorry, still holding out hope) but can people share their thoughts on ASW?

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:16 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:not an admit (sorry, still holding out hope (me too)) but can people share their thoughts on ASW?
Thank you for asking this :)
And thanks for answering, Monday!

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Monday wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:not an admit (sorry, still holding out hope) but can people share their thoughts on ASW?
I loved it. Everyone here seems radiant and happy which could be dismissed with a self-selection argument but I didn't feel this at Harvard.

The campus (the law school's specifically) is breathtakingly beautiful and Munger housing alone suffices as a reason for me to choose Stanford over Yale and Harvard.

I found professors to be genuine and human. We spent hours in small groups at professors' homes and they highlighted the unique aspects of Stanford quite well. I might be in the minority in terms of knowledge of the schools but I didn't know Stanford's clinic program worked differently from Yale's and Harvard's (Stanford's is better). And apparently in this year's 1L class, all but 3 students participated in pro bono programs, and I liked that more than I expected to.

I thought ASWs wouldn't be too helpful because every school is fantastic and a lot of it is showing you the best aspects but this is the first one where I wanted to start right away.

Stanford also didn't have that ridiculous Harvard financial services presentation that had a graph of 30 years of employment in Biglaw to conclude that the HLS degree is worth millions (and that you shouldn't take scholarships from other T13 schools).
+1. Had an amazing weekend and already want to go back

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:06 pm

was selfishly wishing you guys all hated it! but that's awesome, glad to hear!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:29 pm

Monday wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:not an admit (sorry, still holding out hope) but can people share their thoughts on ASW?
I might be in the minority in terms of knowledge of the schools but I didn't know Stanford's clinic program worked differently from Yale's and Harvard's (Stanford's is better). And apparently in this year's 1L class, all but 3 students participated in pro bono programs, and I liked that more than I expected to.
Hi - thanks for answering the Q. Do you mind expanding on this? Is this via clinics or alongside regular class or?

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:36 pm

notsonotorious wrote:
Monday wrote:
I might be in the minority in terms of knowledge of the schools but I didn't know Stanford's clinic program worked differently from Yale's and Harvard's (Stanford's is better). And apparently in this year's 1L class, all but 3 students participated in pro bono programs, and I liked that more than I expected to.
Hi - thanks for answering the Q. Do you mind expanding on this? Is this via clinics or alongside regular class or?
A clinic is full-time for a quarter. You don't take any classes that quarter (aka no finals!). You can do up to 2 full time clinics during your time at SLS. I believe you can also opt to do a quarter-long externship at a local non profit, etc., instead of taking classes.

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:42 pm

hammy393 wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:
Monday wrote:
A clinic is full-time for a quarter. You don't take any classes that quarter (aka no finals!). You can do up to 2 full time clinics during your time at SLS. I believe you can also opt to do a quarter-long externship at a local non profit, etc., instead of taking classes.
OK, I'm dead. GONNA FIGHT TO GET OFF THIS WAITLIST WITH EVERYTHING I GOT :lol:

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Last edited by katthegreat11 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hardchoices

New

Post by hardchoices » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:53 pm

I had a lovely time at ASW, but I learned that Stanford wasn't the best fit for me. I want to ensure space for others -- does anyone know if I have to actually print and mail this Intent to Register form and mark "I do not intend to register" or if I can just email them? Also, this might be ridiculous, but thoughts on whether it's risky to withdraw before receiving my reimbursement?

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:58 pm

hardchoices wrote:I had a lovely time at ASW, but I learned that Stanford wasn't the best fit for me. I want to ensure space for others -- does anyone know if I have to actually print and mail this Intent to Register form and mark "I do not intend to register" or if I can just email them? Also, this might be ridiculous, but thoughts on whether it's risky to withdraw before receiving my reimbursement?
I've just emailed every school I've withdrawn from. No downside to withdrawing in terms of reimbursement.

big_willy_style_333

Bronze

Post by big_willy_style_333 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:39 am

updating to say that my financial situation changed drastically since i applied, which affected my award. super psyched to be going to sls with you lovely folks next year!

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:52 am

Last edited by katthegreat11 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:26 am

Anyone here moving to Stanford with a pet and trying to figure out housing? Any tips would be much appreciated...

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:45 pm

notsonotorious wrote:Anyone here moving to Stanford with a pet and trying to figure out housing? Any tips would be much appreciated...
Current students told me it's pretty easy to bring a small pet for on-campus housing. You'd need to get your therapist to certify your pet as an emotional therapy pet, which they said is pretty easy and costs less than $100. Munger is the residence that most strictly enforces this. Some who lived in Escondido Village said they didn't even get their pet certified because there's not much enforcement there.

4thand9

Bronze

Post by 4thand9 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:43 am

hammy393 wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:Anyone here moving to Stanford with a pet and trying to figure out housing? Any tips would be much appreciated...
Current students told me it's pretty easy to bring a small pet for on-campus housing. You'd need to get your therapist to certify your pet as an emotional therapy pet, which they said is pretty easy and costs less than $100. Munger is the residence that most strictly enforces this. Some who lived in Escondido Village said they didn't even get their pet certified because there's not much enforcement there.
Lurking current student here. Hammy is pretty spot-on (and big pets may work too, so long as they get out enough). Even enforcement in Munger varies depending on what type of pet. Generally, the only kind of pet that would draw any attention would be one that you have to regularly take out of your apartment (dogs) or ones that make enough noise to get neighbors annoyed.

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:08 pm

4thand9 wrote:
hammy393 wrote:
Lurking current student here. Hammy is pretty spot-on (and big pets may work too, so long as they get out enough). Even enforcement in Munger varies depending on what type of pet. Generally, the only kind of pet that would draw any attention would be one that you have to regularly take out of your apartment (dogs) or ones that make enough noise to get neighbors annoyed.
I'm talking two dogs and a husband, all three of whom need to go out regularly ;) I was really talking about living off campus...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:59 pm

Last edited by katthegreat11 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:15 pm

katthegreat11 wrote:Have y'all filled out the housing application yet? I'm waiting until my SO gets final confirmation from his work he can switch offices, but hopefully will soon. Anyone not going for Munger haha? We are but not optimistic, so trying to decide what to put as a second choice. Would you rather have EV one bedroom or Munger studio?
I'm going for 1bd in EV couples housing. I think it's logistically a lot easier to have 2 separate rooms: what if one person goes to sleep early while the other wants to stay up, what if one wants to facetime while the other's working, etc. I'd also have a dog and my SO has work stuff that she has to keep at home, so it'd feel too cramped in a studio.
The obvious downside is that EV is a 15-20 min walk. Anyone think it's worth taking the hit for a 1bd in Munger? 2,600 a month feels like way too much..

BTW - the Munger studio is 50 sq ft larger than the EV 1bd (500 vs 450), but I wonder how much of that difference is in living space, and not the bathroom/kitchen.

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Monday wrote:
hammy393 wrote:
katthegreat11 wrote:Have y'all filled out the housing application yet? I'm waiting until my SO gets final confirmation from his work he can switch offices, but hopefully will soon. Anyone not going for Munger haha? We are but not optimistic, so trying to decide what to put as a second choice. Would you rather have EV one bedroom or Munger studio?
I'm going for 1bd in EV couples housing. I think it's logistically a lot easier to have 2 separate rooms: what if one person goes to sleep early while the other wants to stay up, what if one wants to facetime while the other's working, etc. I'd also have a dog and my SO has work stuff that she has to keep at home, so it'd feel too cramped in a studio.
The obvious downside is that EV is a 15-20 min walk. Anyone think it's worth taking the hit for a 1bd in Munger? 2,600 a month feels like way too much..

BTW - the Munger studio is 50 sq ft larger than the EV 1bd (500 vs 450), but I wonder how much of that difference is in living space, and not the bathroom/kitchen.
I think it's mostly the kitchen and the entrance. The sleeping area of the premium studio looked small. Also, most of the living space is taken up by this unnecessarily large dining table so if you bring furniture, it becomes crowded.

I am unreasonably in love with Munger but even I think I'd want a 15 minute walk to and from class now and then, especially considering the price difference.

I didn't go on the EV tours. How are the rooms?
Thanks, that's good to know! Plus the bike ride from EV is only 5 mins.

I didn't get to see couples housing in EV, only a 2bd that did not have a living room. But it looked modern, decently sized. If anyone saw the couples housing in EV, would love to get your thoughts

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:22 am

Last edited by katthegreat11 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 am

Last edited by katthegreat11 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ayylmao

Silver

Post by ayylmao » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:57 am

Any thoughts about living in EV as a single person? The two bedroom efficiency seems pretty nice and is sooo much cheaper than Munger. I'd save about $8,000. I don't wanna be too isolated or woken up by the construction they'll be doing outside.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”