UCLA Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
lazarzhr

New

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Post by lazarzhr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:02 pm

LawIsLife wrote:Rising 2L willing to answer any questions/concerns any of you may have! Have at it!
They just sent out an email asking for our Section preferences. Any suggestions regarding which classes to take first semester, or which Section would be best (or, rather, worst)?

LawIsLife

New

Post by LawIsLife » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:13 pm

lazarzhr wrote:
LawIsLife wrote:Rising 2L willing to answer any questions/concerns any of you may have! Have at it!
They just sent out an email asking for our Section preferences. Any suggestions regarding which classes to take first semester, or which Section would be best (or, rather, worst)?
I'm not really sure what you mean by section preferences? I'm pretty sure I didn't get to choose what section I was in..It was done randomly based on some algorithm that attempts (very unsuccessfully) to predict each students probability of success and assign students to each section as equally and fairly as possible. In reality this system is completely flawed but I guess there is no better way.

I guess I digressed from your initial question but can you expound on what the email exactly stated? Sections are just groups of classes preassigned with the same students in each class. Thus, you are only competing with your classmates for the A's and everybody has the exact same schedule. Without knowing professors and class times, there is no value in randomly listing a preference to be in Section 2 for instance.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:46 pm

LawIsLife wrote:
lazarzhr wrote:
I'm not really sure what you mean by section preferences? I'm pretty sure I didn't get to choose what section I was in..It was done randomly based on some algorithm that attempts (very unsuccessfully) to predict each students probability of success and assign students to each section as equally and fairly as possible. In reality this system is completely flawed but I guess there is no better way.

I guess I digressed from your initial question but can you expound on what the email exactly stated? Sections are just groups of classes preassigned with the same students in each class. Thus, you are only competing with your classmates for the A's and everybody has the exact same schedule. Without knowing professors and class times, there is no value in randomly listing a preference to be in Section 2 for instance.
They just sent us an e-mail listing the schedule for all eight sections, and asking us which two we'd LEAST LIKE to be placed into.

I went ahead and asked to opt out of Sections 3 & 4, which have both Property and Contracts during Fall Semester. I imagine those two classes + CivPro would be the toughest combo for the first semester.

LawIsLife

New

Post by LawIsLife » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:57 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
LawIsLife wrote:
lazarzhr wrote:

They just sent us an e-mail listing the schedule for all eight sections, and asking us which two we'd LEAST LIKE to be placed into.

I went ahead and asked to opt out of Sections 3 & 4, which have both Property and Contracts during Fall Semester. I imagine those two classes + CivPro would be the toughest combo for the first semester.
Wow! Thats new! We never had a choice of sections/times. Funny enough, I had those three classes my first semester. Wouldn't say it was any easier/harder than my second semester. Also, remember that you will only be graded against others who are taking the same classes as you so the "toughness" is relative.

lazarzhr

New

Post by lazarzhr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:40 pm

LawIsLife wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
LawIsLife wrote:
lazarzhr wrote:

Wow! Thats new! We never had a choice of sections/times. Funny enough, I had those three classes my first semester. Wouldn't say it was any easier/harder than my second semester. Also, remember that you will only be graded against others who are taking the same classes as you so the "toughness" is relative.
That's helpful to know! Wasn't sure if there were any classes that were generally considered to be more difficult/time consuming.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawIsLife

New

Post by LawIsLife » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:50 pm

lazarzhr wrote:
LawIsLife wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
LawIsLife wrote:
lazarzhr wrote:

That's helpful to know! Wasn't sure if there were any classes that were generally considered to be more difficult/time consuming.
Highly Professor dependant. In general the LRW (legal research and writing) class will be extremely time consuming relative to the units you receive for it.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:03 pm

LawIsLife wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
LawIsLife wrote:
lazarzhr wrote:

Thanks! That'll put my mind at ease when I inevitably end up in Section 3/4 anyway.

ChewableBeast

New

Post by ChewableBeast » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:32 pm

butterfly333 wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Any good hiking trails close to campus?
+1! I plan to hike as often as possible to avoid burn out!
I'm definitely going to be working out to destress... we should get a group together!

butterfly333

New

Post by butterfly333 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:34 pm

ChewableBeast wrote:
butterfly333 wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
I'm definitely going to be working out to destress... we should get a group together!
We definitely should!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joshtrxn

New

Post by joshtrxn » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:16 am

excited to meet you all! i was also went to LA for undergrad and I'm also going to be working as an apartment coordinator (think of it as a grad student housing version of an RA) for one of the complexes in Weyburn Terrace...happy to answer any questions about LA life/housing/social questions!

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:27 pm

butterfly333 wrote:
ChewableBeast wrote:
butterfly333 wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
We definitely should!!
Yeah! If anyone's in town the week before Orientation we should head out to Runyon or Griffith Park.

ykstll

New

Post by ykstll » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:21 pm

Piggy-backing off the section questions, are there any professors we should avoid? (Of course I will assume there will be bias involved!)

They sent us a list here: https://curriculum.law.ucla.edu/Guide/ScheduleFirstYear

Though I doubt the preferences will be taken into account, it doesn't hurt to try...

Thanks all!

LawIsLife

New

Post by LawIsLife » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:17 pm

ykstll wrote:Piggy-backing off the section questions, are there any professors we should avoid? (Of course I will assume there will be bias involved!)

They sent us a list here: https://curriculum.law.ucla.edu/Guide/ScheduleFirstYear

Though I doubt the preferences will be taken into account, it doesn't hurt to try...

Thanks all!
You don't really get to choose Professors so it's pointless to even worry about that!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:59 am

Anyone else at Weyburn yet? I just moved into Cypress Court.

dp3

New

Post by dp3 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Moved into magnolia court last week

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:55 pm

What section did everyone end up in? Sec. 7 over here with Section J for legal writing. 9am start all day every day. :shock:
dp3 wrote:Moved into magnolia court last week
Ah, nice. I'm surprised how empty it feels right now, at least over here.

dp3

New

Post by dp3 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:22 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:What section did everyone end up in? Sec. 7 over here with Section J for legal writing. 9am start all day every day. :shock:
dp3 wrote:Moved into magnolia court last week
Ah, nice. I'm surprised how empty it feels right now, at least over here.
Section 6 like I was hoping for :D section I for writing, sec 4 legal analysis

Yea it's weirdly empty here too. The past few days I've just been wandering around the area. think im gonna explore campus a little today

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Would anyone be interested in a TLS meetup this week before shit hits the fan?

dp3

New

Post by dp3 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:02 pm

I'd be down

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:25 am

dp3 wrote:I'd be down
Cool, I was thinking Thursday somewhere in Westwood, unless people would prefer Wednesday after happy hour.

dp3

New

Post by dp3 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:29 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
dp3 wrote:I'd be down
Cool, I was thinking Thursday somewhere in Westwood, unless people would prefer Wednesday after happy hour.
I'd be down for Thursday for sure

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:58 pm

2L here. If anyone is taking Professor Bussel for Contracts and is looking for one of this books used, I have a near perfect book I'm willing to sell at a significant discount. He wrote the book and the 9th edition is new for last year. Its ~220 on Amazon new, about the same used. PM me if you're interested.

Also have a Constitutional Law book by Chimerinsky and a Property book by THomas Merrill & Henry Smith. Also willing to part with at a benefit to you.

Goodluck on Law 101. Look forward to meeting you all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”