WUSTL Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Re: WUSTL Class of 2020

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:15 pm

Super glad that WashU is allowing casual attire all weekend. Hopefully that applies to the Thursday thingy too.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Where can one find the ASD schedule?

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:09 pm

somedeadman wrote:Where can one find the ASD schedule?
They're e-mailing stuff on Wednesday, though it sounds like we won't receive our individualized schedule until Friday.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:23 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
They're e-mailing stuff on Wednesday, though it sounds like we won't receive our individualized schedule until Friday.
Cool, thank you!

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:29 pm

somedeadman wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Cool, thank you!
No problem.

Based on the tentative schedule they sent out with the RSVP, they're having a dessert reception on Thursday from 7:30pm to 8:30pm, with the full-day Friday event from 9am to 4pm. Followed by a happy hour/mixer thingy from 4pm to 6pm. There's also a diversity breakfast on Saturday at 9:30am.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

marrismarris

New

Post by marrismarris » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:16 am

bitter_melon wrote:
marrismarris wrote:What hotel are most ppl staying at for ASW? And I emailed about a travel stipend since I haven't heard anything about how to get one. Do they give travel stipends to Chicago people?
I'll be at the Moonrise Hotel.
I will be too! They ended up covering my hotel with a stipend

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:53 am

marrismarris wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
marrismarris wrote:What hotel are most ppl staying at for ASW? And I emailed about a travel stipend since I haven't heard anything about how to get one. Do they give travel stipends to Chicago people?
My flight gets in at 12:30, PM me for my number if you want to grab a late lunch or something. That goes for everyone. Or PM me with your number because I'm hopping on a plane in a few minutes.

jza1994

Bronze

Post by jza1994 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:01 am

bitter_melon wrote:
marrismarris wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
My flight gets in at 12:30, PM me for my number if you want to grab a late lunch or something. That goes for everyone. Or PM me with your number because I'm hopping on a plane in a few minutes.
I'm also at the Moonrise because they covered my room! I won't be in until about 4pm, though.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:26 am

its lit

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jza1994

Bronze

Post by jza1994 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:53 am

amta wrote:its lit
+1

speedofthought

New

Post by speedofthought » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:05 pm

Hey y'all!

I'm visiting WashU this weekend, since I couldn't make ASW.

For those of you who attended ASW, what would you say is an unmissable to-do? I should already be getting a campus tour, class sit-in, and possibly a meeting with a current student and with someone from the career services office (which, I have to say are very nice touches for my impromptu trip -- well handled, admissions office!). Was there something you did in St. Louis or at the university that swayed you or that you particularly enjoyed?

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:26 pm

speedofthought wrote:Hey y'all!

I'm visiting WashU this weekend, since I couldn't make ASW.

For those of you who attended ASW, what would you say is an unmissable to-do? I should already be getting a campus tour, class sit-in, and possibly a meeting with a current student and with someone from the career services office (which, I have to say are very nice touches for my impromptu trip -- well handled, admissions office!). Was there something you did in St. Louis or at the university that swayed you or that you particularly enjoyed?
Depends on your interests.

If you're into nature/animals, then I highly recommend the Zoo. Especially if there's a nice sunny day. I don't even like zoos but enjoy going to the STL zoo. It's free, and there's tons of cool animals.

If you're into museums, then check out the City Museum. It's basically a gigantic playground made out of an abandoned building downtown. It's super fun and has some nice history as well. On Fridays and Saturdays later in the night it's adult-only with alcohol, and I've had some great nights there. If the City Museum doesn't sound appealing, then check out the Art Museum in Forest Park. Also free.

If you're into sports, then see if there's a Cardinals or Blues game this weekend. Baseball should be starting soon, and there's nothing like Cardinals Nation. Cardinals games are a great time, super nice stadium, lots of bars nearby. Blues games are also fun if you like hockey.

Check out some barbecue joints if you like a good rack of ribs/brisket. STL BBQ is objectively some of the best bbq in the world, up there with KC and Memphis BBQ. Pappy's, Salt & Smoke, Sugarfire, Shaved Duck, Bogart's, many great options...try one of them while you're here. Totally worth it.

If you just want to get outside, taking a walk through/around Forest Park is great as well. Forest Park is a huge park literally right across from campus that has some solid trails, views, nature, etc. You could explore Forest Park and stop at the Zoo or Art Museum while you're there. Both are located in the park.

On a similar theme, if you like antiques/old books/art, I suggest walking around the Central West End and stopping into some of the shops. It's a beautiful neighborhood with some cool art galleries, bars/restaurants, and my personal favorite, Left Bank Books (book shop with great used selection). Lots of law students end up living in the CWE, and I think that spending like a morning or afternoon in the CWE would give you an actual sense of what it's like to live here.

Finally, if you're into botany and more of that outdoorsy stuff, then check out the Botanical Gardens.

Skip the Arch unless you're never planning on being back in STL and are one of those people who loves seeing national landmarks. I think the Arch is pretty boring and downtown isn't that special tbh.

Not sure about specific events going on this weekend, but sometimes there are some pretty cool/interesting things going on around the city. I'll check and come back here.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:53 pm

how do i convince amta to come to wash u with me

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Made my seat deposit today. Wild.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:44 am

bwaldorf wrote:
how do i convince amta to come to wash u with me
giving me your phat scholly would help.

bitteschon

New

Post by bitteschon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:30 pm

if i want to make the first seat deposit but am still unsure of whether i will attend because im waiting on other schools, id still click the ''accept offer, i will attend...'' option on the admitted students website?

bulldog5

New

Post by bulldog5 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:40 pm

bitteschon wrote:if i want to make the first seat deposit but am still unsure of whether i will attend because im waiting on other schools, id still click the ''accept offer, i will attend...'' option on the admitted students website?
Hello! I haven't posted in this thread yet, but to answer your question...that is what I did. I still have my name on the waitlist at two schools that I would most likely attend over WUSTL. The seat deposit is non-refundable, but I believe that you can withdraw even after you've clicked the button. Maybe contact someone at the law school though if you want to be sure?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Those employment numbers :D

estateplanning

New

Post by estateplanning » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:26 pm

bitter_melon wrote:Those employment numbers :D
Just did the math: 45% BigLaw and Fed Clerk rate. That's a huge increase from previous year

EDIT: should qualify that the tremendous increase is in BigLaw, FedClerk rate actually went down a little

Link: http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/pages.aspx?id=9620

ChambanaMan

New

Post by ChambanaMan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:44 pm

estateplanning wrote:
Just did the math: 45% BigLaw and Fed Clerk rate. That's a huge increase from previous year

EDIT: should qualify that the tremendous increase is in BigLaw, FedClerk rate actually went down a little

Which is probably why the whole ASW they focused on letting us know they wanted their fed clerk numbers to be much higher. Considering that's what I want to do, it made me feel a lot better.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:26 pm

If anyone wants to by furniture or books, Im basically trying to get rid of everything before I move to NY. Pm me!

-3L

PS: Congrats all :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:29 pm

estateplanning wrote:

Also will state for the record -- the Career Service Org or CCD or whatever they're calling themselves now is VASTLY better than last year. That's almost hard to say, but it's very true.

lawboundsomeday

New

Post by lawboundsomeday » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:57 pm

Sprout wrote:
estateplanning wrote:

Also will state for the record -- the Career Service Org or CCD or whatever they're calling themselves now is VASTLY better than last year. That's almost hard to say, but it's very true.
Impressive increase! Better how? What changed? What’s different now?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:57 pm

Also interested in learning more about this increase. Very torn between here and NU

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:31 pm

Sprout wrote:If anyone wants to by furniture or books, Im basically trying to get rid of everything before I move to NY. Pm me!

-3L

PS: Congrats all :)
I am interested for sure. When are you moving to New York?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”