HA1L THE CLASS OF 2020 [[Michigan]] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

We're headed to Hogwarts, so what's your house?

Gryffindor
13%
Hufflepuff
21%
Ravenclaw
27%
Slytherin
21%
Regardless of what the quiz says, I'm a muggle, tbh.
19%

Total votes: 48

chandhi

Gold

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Post by chandhi » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:58 pm

So I had to turn down an awesome $1365/mo 2-bedroom apartment across the street from the law school with parking (!!!), free wifi and water because I found one that's even cheaper (although further away). The poster of the ad has been extremely helpful and kind and is in a bit of a bind now since I didn't take it. It's available for summer starters or for fall starters. I figured I could post a link here for anyone interested: https://annarbor.craigslist.org/apa/6057511293.html

I posted this in the Facebook groups too lol so hiiiii anyone that now knows who I am.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Keilz wrote:Now that I'm actually trying to decide I have some questions for alumni that I wish I asked during the ASW lol

There's also an "Ask A Wolverine" page... somewhere on the admitted students site (I think). Idk where right now lol. But those are all people you can email. It gives you a little blurb about each person so you can try to find someone who is best fit to answer your questions.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:20 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Keilz wrote:Now that I'm actually trying to decide I have some questions for alumni that I wish I asked during the ASW lol

There's also an "Ask A Wolverine" page... somewhere on the admitted students site (I think). Idk where right now lol. But those are all people you can email. It gives you a little blurb about each person so you can try to find someone who is best fit to answer your questions.
your avatar is throwing me off lol

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:48 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

your avatar is throwing me off lol
:lol:

It's funny though

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:56 pm

Whaddya got? PM me, happy to try and help pass along Qs

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xandra_v

Bronze

Post by xandra_v » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:27 am

Keilz wrote: It's basically head vs heart right now, except my heart isn't set on anything.
I am 1000% with you right here.

jewkidontheblock

Bronze

Post by jewkidontheblock » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:58 am

My Duke vs. Michigan decision came down to the wire - if anyone has any questions about comparing the two, feel free to PM.

mina_ami

New

Post by mina_ami » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:24 am

Am I being pushy? I'm being pushy. Ah well, if one person benefits it's worth it, I don't want this to get buried

Summer Starters!

The current students have set up this google sheet for summer sublets: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

As a reminder:
Orientation Starts = May 30
Finals = August 15-17
Lawyers Club Opens = Friday, Aug. 25 at 8 a.m.

Make sure the person you sublet from can give you a place to sleep until your fall housing starts!

Shameless plug: My really awesome totally renovated house has 2 rooms left! There will be a current 1L who is interning at a clinic over the summer and a fellow summer starter in the house!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:15 pm

mina_ami wrote:Am I being pushy? I'm being pushy. Ah well, if one person benefits it's worth it, I don't want this to get buried

Summer Starters!

The current students have set up this google sheet for summer sublets: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

As a reminder:
Orientation Starts = May 30
Finals = August 15-17
Lawyers Club Opens = Friday, Aug. 25 at 8 a.m.

Make sure the person you sublet from can give you a place to sleep until your fall housing starts!

Shameless plug: My really awesome totally renovated house has 2 rooms left! There will be a current 1L who is interning at a clinic over the summer and a fellow summer starter in the house!

The summer starter staying at her house is me. So if you want to live with me, now's your chance :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:48 pm

For anyone who might be interested in the MAP thing (I know a lot of current students mention it in high regard), I found a couple pages of info:

https://www.law.umich.edu/currentstuden ... ation.aspx
https://www.law.umich.edu/currentstuden ... tsvcs.aspx (It's the Michigan Access Program)

I don't see anything about how to apply or whatever but that provides more info on what the program is and what the schedule looks like. It sounds very interesting; unfortunately, I'm a summer starter and can't participate in it :roll: lol

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:32 pm

nyu2019maybeplease wrote:Whaddya got? PM me, happy to try and help pass along Qs

Quick question for you, TY! Does Michigan guarantee $4,000 in funding for 1L summer PI/unpaid jobs? Is it a grant, or just extra loans? Could you link me? I remember this being mentioned but I'm unsure. I'm trying to estimate costs if I were to work in the summer as a 1L, since I would do lawyer's club.

Also, do you know how much U-M student health insurance is? It's not factored into the budget. thank you again!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:42 pm

Keilz wrote:
nyu2019maybeplease wrote:Whaddya got? PM me, happy to try and help pass along Qs

Quick question for you, TY! Does Michigan guarantee $4,000 in funding for 1L summer PI/unpaid jobs? Is it a grant, or just extra loans? Could you link me? I remember this being mentioned but I'm unsure. I'm trying to estimate costs if I were to work in the summer as a 1L, since I would do lawyer's club.

Also, do you know how much U-M student health insurance is? It's not factored into the budget. thank you again!

I found this article about the funding program, figured I'd post it in case anyone else was also curious: https://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/f ... 40915.aspx

Looks like it is an interest-free loan that is forgiven as long as you don't make more than $18k over your two summers (so if you get a 2L BL summer job, you'd have to pay it back lol)

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:46 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Keilz wrote:

I found this article about the funding program, figured I'd post it in case anyone else was also curious: https://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/f ... 40915.aspx

Looks like it is an interest-free loan that is forgiven as long as you don't make more than $18k over your two summers (so if you get a 2L BL summer job, you'd have to pay it back lol)
thanks! that's what I was thinking of. The COA estimates listed on the website seem a little low. If I do lawyer's club shared bathroom, it leaves me only approximately $2,000 total for summer living, and breakfast/snacks/weekend food etc.

Also i'm looking at Duke's financial figures, and they list a TON of fees that most schools have, but I don't see that listed for Michigan. I'm literally creating an excel sheet right now lol

edit: Cornell's tuition page breaks it down. it seems like these schools do not include summer expenses at all in their estimates, so that might be helpful for someone to keep in mind when doing their finances!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Keilz wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Keilz wrote:

thanks! that's what I was thinking of. The COA estimates listed on the website seem a little low. If I do lawyer's club shared bathroom, it leaves me only approximately $2,000 total for summer living, and breakfast/snacks/weekend food etc.

Also i'm looking at Duke's financial figures, and they list a TON of fees that most schools have, but I don't see that listed for Michigan. I'm literally creating an excel sheet right now lol

edit: Cornell's tuition page breaks it down. it seems like these schools do not include summer expenses at all in their estimates, so that might be helpful for someone to keep in mind when doing their finances!
Well LC is pricier than other options that aren't necessarily on-campus, I believe.

I didn't think about the student fees. I wonder if there's not many/any listed ecause Michigan students have to pay for things like tickets for football/basketball games (although I believe it's at a discounted rate) At my UG, we paid a student fee for athletics but we got into all football games for free and had a lottery system for basketball games.

Edit: And yeah, if you're doing fall start, it's based on fall/spring semester only. Also, the loan is guaranteed for 1Ls but you still have to apply for it. Just mentioning that cause a couple of the 1Ls I was hanging out with during ASW realized they missed the deadline to apply as we were walking somewhere lol
Last edited by brinicolec on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:54 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Keilz wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Keilz wrote:

Well LC is pricier than other options that aren't necessarily on-campus, I believe.

I didn't think about the student fees. I wonder if there's not many/any listed ecause Michigan students have to pay for things like tickets for football/basketball games (although I believe it's at a discounted rate) At my UG, we paid a student fee for athletics but we got into all football games for free and had a lottery system for basketball games.
yeah but i figured since a majority of 1Ls live in the LC and it's on-campus housing that they would center the estimates around that.

we had the athletic fee too, but we also had fees like "green fee" and "buildings facilities fee" :roll:

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:55 pm

Keilz wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Keilz wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Keilz wrote:

yeah we had the athletic fee too, but we also had fees like "green fee" and "buildings facilities fee" :roll:

I'm pretty sure you can trust the numbers they put for COA though. I doubt they'd leave out a chunk of fees lol

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 pm

1. SFF Loan - this is a loan available to anyone, PI or not. If you're PI/making below the threshold, you don't have to repay so it becomes a grant. If you're near threshold, you repay in part
Note we also have the SFF grant program which is for PI students and is competitive. That's 6k.
2. Health insurance rates vary greatly based on plan. I can tell you what this year's rate was for the school plan, but it's not one number. Generally, I found it favorable to those available on the exchange. PM me.

brinicolec wrote:
Keilz wrote:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:35 am

Withdrew :cry: :cry: anyone want the OP?

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:49 am

U of M's health insurance is pretty expensive. I ended up going through the ACA marketplace and saved $1000 or so. I will say their insurance is incredible, it just didn't fit my needs. The school doesn't factor it in to the initial COA (which is dumb) but you can get your budget reevaluated. I also ensured I took out enough loans at the beginning to cover it.

That said, one of our student fees is a health fee. EVERYTHING done at University Health Services is covered--tests, x-rays, well women checks, physical therapy, etc.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:05 pm

guybourdin wrote:Withdrew :cry: :cry: anyone want the OP?

I'll take it. Enjoy NU!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:50 pm

brinicolec wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Withdrew :cry: :cry: anyone want the OP?

I'll take it. Enjoy NU!
its yos

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ldlestrange

Bronze

Re: Michigan Class of 2020 -- GO BLUE! [[new OP :p]]

Post by ldlestrange » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:32 pm

bri, I love the thread title!!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:33 pm

ldlestrange wrote:bri, I love the thread title!!
Thanks!

I wanted something more clever but I can't think of anything right now :lol:

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:19 pm

Oh man, just got my shirt. Fuckin' nerdy as hell. I love it.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:19 pm

Sarastro wrote:Oh man, just got my shirt. Fuckin' nerdy as hell. I love it.
If this doesn't say "TLS user and high-key nerd" idk what does. I'm never taking it off
[+] Spoiler

edit: trynna figure out how to resize lol

2nd edit: gave up on resizing

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”