HA1L THE CLASS OF 2020 [[Michigan]] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

We're headed to Hogwarts, so what's your house?

Gryffindor
13%
Hufflepuff
21%
Ravenclaw
27%
Slytherin
21%
Regardless of what the quiz says, I'm a muggle, tbh.
19%

Total votes: 48

Mikey

Platinum

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Post by Mikey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:57 am

amberb94 wrote:Hi everyone! I've been considering my options and I think I've decided I will be attending Michigan. It is my dream school so I think it is worth some debt even though I got a lot of money to other places. I'm hopefully going to visit next week. I'm sure I'll fall even more in love with it once I see it in person.
enjoy Hogwarts! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:15 pm

Wow, guys. Wow. The UMich NYC alumni event last night was AMAZING. Met so many awesome and impressive people who legitimately wanted to help. Even before committing, they just wanted to be sure that we weighed our choices and did well and, and, and... but the thing that struck me was how willing those who work in/with FinAid were to talk about how they will be there for us even with the potential issues with PSLF to come. They wanted us to know that the school would be there for us, because if we were willing to commit to them, they were willing to commit to our future. It's a bit platitude-y but whatever. For specifics PM me, but I was super impressed.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:15 pm

S.Picquery wrote:Wow, guys. Wow. The UMich NYC alumni event last night was AMAZING. Met so many awesome and impressive people who legitimately wanted to help. Even before committing, they just wanted to be sure that we weighed our choices and did well and, and, and... but the thing that struck me was how willing those who work in/with FinAid were to talk about how they will be there for us even with the potential issues with PSLF to come. They wanted us to know that the school would be there for us, because if we were willing to commit to them, they were willing to commit to our future. It's a bit platitude-y but whatever. For specifics PM me, but I was super impressed.
this makes me really excited! I can't wait to visit during ASW in April! :)

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:46 pm

Is anyone else building up Michigan so much in their head that visiting almost has to disappoint? I'm scared that my expectations are too high.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:32 pm

chandhi wrote:Is anyone else building up Michigan so much in their head that visiting almost has to disappoint? I'm scared that my expectations are too high.
Im honestly hoping it doesn't live up to my expectations. It'll be rough to afford and I'd love a reason to take the money at another school lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:44 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
chandhi wrote:Is anyone else building up Michigan so much in their head that visiting almost has to disappoint? I'm scared that my expectations are too high.
Im honestly hoping it doesn't live up to my expectations. It'll be rough to afford and I'd love a reason to take the money at another school lol
See, it's the opposite for me. This is the second-best school I've gotten into AND the second-best financial offer I've gotten. So altogether, my best option. I love it already but need to really love it at ASW.

Also high-key hoping Admissions Cat shows up for ASW. Show me the cat and take my seat deposit.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:54 pm

what is the minimum amount of money UMich would have to provide for people to attend? I'm trying to decide this myself and I'm curious what others are thinking.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:05 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:what is the minimum amount of money UMich would have to provide for people to attend? I'm trying to decide this myself and I'm curious what others are thinking.
I'm deciding bw a bunch of places at sticker pretty much so it may be... sticker. Tbf though I've worked in PI for... ever and will be gunning for much of the same so debt is less scary to me.

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:47 am

dietcoke1 wrote:what is the minimum amount of money UMich would have to provide for people to attend? I'm trying to decide this myself and I'm curious what others are thinking.
Nice try finance office

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:44 am

Sarastro wrote:
Nice try finance office
8)

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:30 am

I was really impressed with Michigan (the school) when I visited; it was Ann Arbor itself that I don't feel like I can deal with.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:02 am

brinicolec wrote:I was really impressed with Michigan (the school) when I visited; it was Ann Arbor itself that I don't feel like I can deal with.
What about Ann Arbor did you not like?! I'm curious normally it's the other way around lol

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:44 am

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
brinicolec wrote:I was really impressed with Michigan (the school) when I visited; it was Ann Arbor itself that I don't feel like I can deal with.
What about Ann Arbor did you not like?! I'm curious normally it's the other way around lol
I think we got ourselves here one of them fancy city-slicker types.

You're from NYC or something aren't you brinicolec? I imagine that Ann Arbor probably seems... quaint in comparison :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:46 am

Sarastro wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

You're from NYC or something aren't you brinicolec? I imagine that Ann Arbor probably seems... quaint in comparison :P
Yes definitely would be an adjustment from big city living.

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Post by VA2lawschool » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:22 am

What?? Ann Arbor is great. :D Though I find NY to be the worst whereas many people consider it the best city on Earth, so I suppose it's all subjective.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

Yes definitely would be an adjustment from big city living.

I've lived in NYC and DC. Loved both of them. I did undergrad at a college town. Love my alma mater, hated that it was in a college town.

Am very conflicted right now. Lol.

I was keeping myself up last night but I realized I won't be able to make any decisions about this until like.. April... after I visit Northwestern.

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:57 pm

brinicolec wrote: Am very conflicted right now. Lol.

I was keeping myself up last night but I realized I won't be able to make any decisions about this until like.. April... after I visit Northwestern.
Sounds prudent to me!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:27 am

Has anyone started looking into housing yet? If so, does it seem like there's certain places current law students recommend?

New

Post by 20172017 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:54 am

brinicolec wrote:Has anyone started looking into housing yet? If so, does it seem like there's certain places current law students recommend?
I've been looking into the Lawyers Club, which seems kinda expensive (~$13k for the academic year) but the location is extremely convenient and the contract also includes 12 meals/week. It was recently renovated. I haven't been able to find any reviews or input for what it's like post-renovation, though...

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:55 am

20172017 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Has anyone started looking into housing yet? If so, does it seem like there's certain places current law students recommend?
I've been looking into the Lawyers Club, which seems kinda expensive (~$13k for the academic year) but the location is extremely convenient and the contract also includes 12 meals/week. It was recently renovated. I haven't been able to find any reviews or input for what it's like post-renovation, though...
Fwiw, when I visited, both of my tour guides lived there and they both seemed to really like it. One said it was a little weird because it is essentially a dorm so you have to get used to living by dorm rules again.

I haven't looked into it much because I have a pet so I can't live there.

dabomb905

New

Post by dabomb905 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:20 am

brinicolec wrote:
20172017 wrote:
Fwiw, when I visited, both of my tour guides lived there and they both seemed to really like it. One said it was a little weird because it is essentially a dorm so you have to get used to living by dorm rules again.

I haven't looked into it much because I have a pet so I can't live there.
I live in the lawyers club now. There arent "dorm rules" except for no drinking games in the common room. We do it anyway, no one cares really. Its really nice and the expense is offset by the convenience and the fact that youre not paying for a 12 month lease somewhere else and then eating a loss when you sublet it. Plus you get food and theres a nice social aspect to being around other law students all the time and getting close with people who you may never have class with.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

New

Post by 20172017 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:23 pm

dabomb905 wrote:I live in the lawyers club now. There arent "dorm rules" except for no drinking games in the common room. We do it anyway, no one cares really. Its really nice and the expense is offset by the convenience and the fact that youre not paying for a 12 month lease somewhere else and then eating a loss when you sublet it. Plus you get food and theres a nice social aspect to being around other law students all the time and getting close with people who you may never have class with.
Thanks for the input. Any comments on how the food is? Is it served buffet-style or do you order individual meals?

dabomb905

New

Post by dabomb905 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:32 pm

-
Last edited by dabomb905 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:41 pm

If apartments are on WL right now, is it likely that they will end up with openings or...?

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:31 am

brinicolec wrote:If apartments are on WL right now, is it likely that they will end up with openings or...?
A2's housing market is ridiculous. People find their apartments in the fall. But there are definitely still places (it's just harder to find one really close to the school). I'd suggest looking at houses over on East University

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”