HA1L THE CLASS OF 2020 [[Michigan]] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

We're headed to Hogwarts, so what's your house?

Gryffindor
13%
Hufflepuff
21%
Ravenclaw
27%
Slytherin
21%
Regardless of what the quiz says, I'm a muggle, tbh.
19%

Total votes: 48

Keilz

Gold

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Post by Keilz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:48 am

brinicolec wrote:Y'all. I think I'm losing my mind. I had convinced myself that I was 100000% opposed to Michigan @ sticker and now I'm not quite sure/am wondering if I'd be able to negotiate some sort of scholarship out of them.
Doesn't hurt to try! You could try to get a scholarship for Georgetown first and then get Michigan to respond to that.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about nor any experience with this

Also - I creeped on your latest posts which is why I knew you got into Gtown :)

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:53 am

Keilz wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Y'all. I think I'm losing my mind. I had convinced myself that I was 100000% opposed to Michigan @ sticker and now I'm not quite sure/am wondering if I'd be able to negotiate some sort of scholarship out of them.
Doesn't hurt to try!
V true. I had managed to completely talk myself out of Michigan with reasoning like "Too much debt," "Winter sucks," "You don't like small college towns," as well as simply deleting their friendly emails :lol: but I've been QUITE neurotic these past few days and I'm suddenly wondering what the cost/benefit of attending 8 at sticker over 15+ with a discount looks like. I wasn't sold on BL exactly, but I do have an interest in the "niche" area of some of those firms that deal with sports, which made me realize that technically, I am sold on big law, just not in the typical sense :cry:

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:47 pm

Keilz wrote:
Doesn't hurt to try! You could try to get a scholarship for Georgetown first and then get Michigan to respond to that.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about nor any experience with this

Also - I creeped on your latest posts which is why I knew you got into Gtown :)
In regards to your edit additions:

I definitely WANT to try to wait for scholarship from Georgetown but I don't know when to expect to hear back from them and I have about a month to figure all of this out. Also, since I'm a summer start admit, I'd have about a month to find housing if I wait until April to decide. However, the director of admissions assured me I shouldn't feel like I need to rush to send them scholarship info even as a summer starter because the process is normally fairly quick, so that makes me feel a little better. I'm just worried that Georgetown is gonna drag their feet until the last minute before releasing scholarship info. I mean shoot, they've waited this long! Lol.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Well anyway, I'm back guise. I had talked myself out of Michigan for about a month, but I'm gradually talking myself back into it (even though I might be crazy for doing so). Haven't decided if I'd be crazy enough to pay sticker, but also can't decide if I'd be crazy to pass up going to a T10 school.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Would it be petty to start a summer starters thread? I'M JUST TRYNA LOCATE Y'ALL AND SEE IF I THINK I'D FIT IN WITH Y'ALL :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 pm

brinicolec wrote:Would it be petty to start a summer starters thread? I'M JUST TRYNA LOCATE Y'ALL AND SEE IF I THINK I'D FIT IN WITH Y'ALL :lol:
Idk if it's petty but I'd also like to know.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:10 pm

I think I'm gonna do it.....

PSA! Not trying to be petty. Just trying find this small group within a big pond that I'd apparently form a serious bond with :lol: I still love everyone and if I either 1) decide I'm crazy and want to swallow the debt or 2) can get at least a little money, I hope we can all be frandzzzz

Plus, I'll still be ITT lol.

Edit: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4#p9819356

It is done.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:02 am

So, Michigan has recently gotten my eye and it's a really strong contender for me at this point.

Who is going to Preview, and which one? I'm planning to go to April 6-8, and I'm actually really excited.

Tbh, I've been accepted to higher-ranked schools so I keep trying to convince myself I shouldn't go to Mich, but the vibe they give off just really attracts me. Everything I've heard about them and received from them has impressed me. Not to mention, I already know I have a good scholarship there that would make attending very affordable, and COL is so much lower than in NYC, for instance, that I could have a huge apartment (thank you to my husband's salary) with no problem. Meanwhile, in NYC I'd be basically living in a closet :roll:

Who else is feeling enthusiastic about Mich? Come on, raise your hands!

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:19 am

airwrecka wrote:So, Michigan has recently gotten my eye and it's a really strong contender for me at this point.

Who is going to Preview, and which one? I'm planning to go to April 6-8, and I'm actually really excited.

Tbh, I've been accepted to higher-ranked schools so I keep trying to convince myself I shouldn't go to Mich, but the vibe they give off just really attracts me. Everything I've heard about them and received from them has impressed me. Not to mention, I already know I have a good scholarship there that would make attending very affordable, and COL is so much lower than in NYC, for instance, that I could have a huge apartment (thank you to my husband's salary) with no problem. Meanwhile, in NYC I'd be basically living in a closet :roll:

I'm going to the first Preview weekend! I'm excited to check it out and I'm pretty sure I'm going to really like it. I feel really internally conflicted though because I was raised a Michigan State fan and went to an undergrad that considers Mich a football rival, so the thought of being there wearing maize and blue makes me gag a little bit and I think Harbaugh is a clown. BUT I say that as someone with a sister who goes there for undergrad and loves it, and I genuinely really like Ann Arbor as a place to go to school. Even my previous distaste for Michigan did not preclude me from realizing how fun Ann Arbor is and how objectively great the law school is. I think it could fit my purposes really well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:42 pm

Current Michigan 1L totally willing to answer questions! just PM me!

ldlestrange

Bronze

Post by ldlestrange » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:07 pm

airwrecka wrote:So, Michigan has recently gotten my eye and it's a really strong contender for me at this point.

See ya on April 6th :D :D :D

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:31 pm

Eyeing that LRAP what hard rn...

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:17 am

Checking in. Someone convince me that one ASW is better than the other. Cant really decide which to attend

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:25 am

BoyJord wrote:Checking in. Someone convince me that one ASW is better than the other. Cant really decide which to attend
The first one is already booked up for hotel rooms. So if you wanted to stay at the hotel they provide for cheap ($20/night) go to #2! (I'll be at that one too, fwiw :lol:)

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:35 am

airwrecka wrote:
BoyJord wrote:Checking in. Someone convince me that one ASW is better than the other. Cant really decide which to attend
The first one is already booked up for hotel rooms. So if you wanted to stay at the hotel they provide for cheap ($20/night) go to #2! (I'll be at that one too, fwiw :lol:)
And that is what you call persuasive writing. Everyone take notes

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:40 pm

BoyJord wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
Can also email and ask to be put on waitlist for the first one. That's what I did since I could only attend that set of days...I got off the waitlist like a week later. They put a cap on reservation payment for Monday, so if people are registered, but haven't paid for their two/three nights, they'll get dropped to open up spots for new people

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:42 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
BoyJord wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
Can also email and ask to be put on waitlist for the first one. That's what I did since I could only attend that set of days...I got off the waitlist like a week later. They put a cap on reservation payment for Monday, so if people are registered, but haven't paid for their two/three nights, they'll get dropped to open up spots for new people
Thanks for the heads up. I can theoretically attend either weekend. It would probably be best for me to go in April but I am excited and antsy to see AA so I am impulsively thinking of trying to squeeze in the first weekend (despite the shorter notice)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pipipipi

Bronze

Post by pipipipi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:01 pm

Glad to join the group! Has anyone started negotiating with Michigan? How did it go?

Also, does anyone know when summer start tuition is due? I checked their website and couldn't find the info. Really need to start preparing for it. Thanks!

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:21 am

Anyone going to the Michigan alum/admit reception in NYC tomorrow?

haratara

New

Post by haratara » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:58 pm

I am!

CHyde

Bronze

Post by CHyde » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Last edited by CHyde on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:44 pm

S.Picquery wrote:Anyone going to the Michigan alum/admit reception in NYC tomorrow?
Any clue whether we can bring a date to this type of event?

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:38 pm

smilingorch wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:Anyone going to the Michigan alum/admit reception in NYC tomorrow?
It seems like you potentially could, but I'm not 100% sure you'd want to. Hahaha.

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:11 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
smilingorch wrote:
It seems like you potentially could, but I'm not 100% sure you'd want to. Hahaha.
Thanks!! Going to one tonight!

amberb94

Bronze

Post by amberb94 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:50 pm

Hi everyone! I've been considering my options and I think I've decided I will be attending Michigan. It is my dream school so I think it is worth some debt even though I got a lot of money to other places. I'm hopefully going to visit next week. I'm sure I'll fall even more in love with it once I see it in person.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”