HA1L THE CLASS OF 2020 [[Michigan]] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

We're headed to Hogwarts, so what's your house?

Gryffindor
13%
Hufflepuff
21%
Ravenclaw
27%
Slytherin
21%
Regardless of what the quiz says, I'm a muggle, tbh.
19%

Total votes: 48

S.Picquery

Silver

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Post by S.Picquery » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:28 pm

I need someone to tell me if I'm crazy, because I'm pretty sure Mich's LRAP will just help you for as long as your loans are in repayment (taking the pressure off of those of us worrying about PSLF being abolished). Did I misread something? Is there no 10 year cap like... well, most schools?

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:31 pm

chandhi wrote:Also is anyone else brave enough to put their username as the optional line on their name tag? I did lol
Fuck that optional line. I never know what to put for that kind of stuff. I would have left it blank if dean Z hadn't made it sound like I'd be a shunned loser if I did.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:33 pm

Sarastro wrote:
chandhi wrote:Also is anyone else brave enough to put their username as the optional line on their name tag? I did lol
Fuck that optional line. I never know what to put for that kind of stuff. I would have left it blank if dean Z hadn't made it sound like I'd be a shunned loser if I did.
I totally left it blank. After UVA ASW, I realized I don't even wear the name tag if I can help it (which is about 99% of the time). Is yours something witty Sarastro?

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Sarastro wrote:
According to today's email, you can also avoid being a shunned loser by asking "So this bus is pretty sweet, don't you think?"

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:48 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
I totally left it blank. After UVA ASW, I realized I don't even wear the name tag if I can help it (which is about 99% of the time). Is yours something witty Sarastro?
Mine's pretty innocuous. I couldn't think of anything both (a) particularly witty and (b) that I wanted to talk to complete strangers about.
chandhi wrote:According to today's email, you can also avoid being a shunned loser by asking "So this bus is pretty sweet, don't you think?"
I think I'll stick to the ABA conversation starters they linked to. I can already envision all my new friends that I'll meet by walking up and asking "Do you think that the use of a device such as the filibuster, which allows minority voices in the Senate to block confirmation of judicial nominees, is consistent with the Framers intent to protect judicial selection from "direct democracy"? Why?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Post by VA2lawschool » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Preview Weekend looks awesome! I'm really looking forward to the Constitutional Law class, and hopefully celebrating a Sweet Sixteen win :D

UghNonAmus

New

Post by UghNonAmus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Sarastro wrote:

I just went with Go Blue/Beat Oregon (changed it yesterday). Oh shit I just gave myself away.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:21 am

Hopping on my flight (back) to Michigan tomorrow morning. Oddly excited about it.

Have decided the determining factor of whether or not I love Michigan will be if I feel the urge to buy some kind of Michigan clothing (probably a hoodie) while I'm there.

Also think that, for some reason, I am leaning more towards Michigan. I think it's because I saw something in the Northwestern thread saying they basically have nothing to do with the undergrad campus (including never going to games and all that) and I was like whetttttttt lol. And also, my friend that currently goes to Michigan is like.. hella excited that I'm going to ASW, further emphasizing this whole "These people really love this place for some reason" thing lol

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:22 am

UghNonAmus wrote:
Sarastro wrote:

I just went with Go Blue/Beat Oregon (changed it yesterday). Oh shit I just gave myself away.
Idk what to put in my optional line...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:21 am

brinicolec wrote:
UghNonAmus wrote:
Sarastro wrote:

"Bad-ass Extraordinaire"

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:29 am

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
UghNonAmus wrote:
Sarastro wrote:

"Bad-ass Extraordinaire"
:lol: I wonder if they see what we put and are like, "Um... tf?"

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:41 am

brinicolec wrote: :lol: I wonder if they see what we put and are like, "Um... tf?"
Listen, it can't be as bad as the kid at UVA's ASW who kept telling everyone at the top of his lungs "I won't be going here, I'll be going to [PEER SCHOOL] because it's my home state, and I will be senator there one day." Okay, buddy. Calm down.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:44 am

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote: :lol: I wonder if they see what we put and are like, "Um... tf?"
Listen, it can't be as bad as the kid at UVA's ASW who kept telling everyone at the top of his lungs "I won't be going here, I'll be going to [PEER SCHOOL] because it's my home state, and I will be senator there one day." Okay, buddy. Calm down.
... So what was even the point of going to the ASW?! Lol. People are so weird. I'm more of a "I'm still deciding" kind of person. I'm hoping going to ASW this weekend will lead to a decision before I even step foot in Chicago, but who knows.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:47 am

brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
... So what was even the point of going to the ASW?! Lol. People are so weird. I'm more of a "I'm still deciding" kind of person. I'm hoping going to ASW this weekend will lead to a decision before I even step foot in Chicago, but who knows.
I have a feeling I'm going to love it so that if I can't make it work financially, Mich will be "the one that got away." Forever. :lol: Mich, give me more money so that I can justify going there! Please?!

ETA: Although, straight up, the calculations for $$$ for summer starters knocks off a more on the price than I thought.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:50 am

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
I have a feeling I'm going to love it so that if I can't make it work financially, Mich will be "the one that got away." Forever. :lol: Mich, give me more money so that I can justify going there! Please?!

ETA: Although, straight up, the calculations for $$$ for summer starters knocks off a more on the price than I thought.
Regarding the bold: What do you mean? Have I missed something?! What makes it cheaper?

Did you get any money at all/if not, have you tried negotiating?

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:51 am

S.Picquery wrote: I have a feeling I'm going to love it so that if I can't make it work financially, Mich will be "the one that got away." Forever. :lol: Mich, give me more money so that I can justify going there! Please?!
Too real

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:53 am

Sarastro wrote:
S.Picquery wrote: I have a feeling I'm going to love it so that if I can't make it work financially, Mich will be "the one that got away." Forever. :lol: Mich, give me more money so that I can justify going there! Please?!
Too real
I forsee us huddled together at the auction sobbing into our free beer lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Post by Bob loblaw law blog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:02 am

S.Picquery wrote:
The "future politician" types are maybe my least favorite type of ASW attendee I've met. I just want to scream "Don't go to law school!" At them and ask them if they've ever actually seen what politician's lives are like, but I'm not rude/bold enough to put down someone's dreams at a law school open house.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:03 am

Bob loblaw law blog wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
The "future politician" types are maybe my least favorite type of ASW attendee I've met. I just want to scream "Don't go to law school!" At them and ask them if they've ever actually seen what politician's lives are like, but I'm not rude/bold enough to put down someone's dreams at a law school open house.
I'd just casually ask, "If you want to be a politician, why is law school your next step?" with genuine curiosity lol.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:04 am

S.Picquery wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
Too real
I forsee us huddled together at the auction sobbing into our free beer lol
um... the game is gonna be on at the same time as the auction soooooooo... lol.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:04 am

brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
Regarding the bold: What do you mean? Have I missed something?! What makes it cheaper?

Tuition increases over time, and that's taken into account in LST numbers, but for the first 3 semesters you're only paying that first-year price, 2 semesters of the second year price, and 1 semester of the last "year" price. Also, the interest that accrues will be less because its over less time, so that when that grace period is over after graduation you'll have a bit less to pay back. Granted, it's a drop in the bucket when you're looking at 250k+ in loans, but still. It's something.

I could be wrong, I'm not a financial sorta person (I've never had to take loans out before), but it seems like a cool thing to account for,

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:12 am

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Tuition increases over time, and that's taken into account in LST numbers, but for the first 3 semesters you're only paying that first-year price, 2 semesters of the second year price, and 1 semester of the last "year" price. Also, the interest that accrues will be less because its over less time, so that when that grace period is over after graduation you'll have a bit less to pay back. Granted, it's a drop in the bucket when you're looking at 250k+ in loans, but still. It's something.

I could be wrong, I'm not a financial sorta person (I've never had to take loans out before), but it seems like a cool thing to account for,
Yeah, I think I took the tuition thing into acct but I didn't think about the interest. Is interest annual?

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:14 am

Bob loblaw law blog wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
I'm also just floored that anyone can have the ego that they can make statements like that. Friend, are you even for real?
brinicolec wrote: I'd just casually ask, "If you want to be a politician, why is law school your next step?" with genuine curiosity lol.
I couldn't feign curiosity with this dude. I could just forsee a looooong conversation about cutting taxes as well as social programs, or just a diatribe about the flat tax that would make me want to vomit on his khakis (this was over lunch).

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:15 am

brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Yeah, I think I took the tuition thing into acct but I didn't think about the interest. Is interest annual?
I'm not sure. I bet we could ask FinAid people when we're at ASW, though. It's sort of their whole life.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:19 am

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

I'm not sure. I bet we could ask FinAid people when we're at ASW, though. It's sort of their whole life.
very true. Was there anything about finances in the "Summers Starters" section where they tell us all the reasons summer start is great? Lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”