Cornell Class of 2020: section poll added, gtfih Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What section are you?

A
21%
B
9%
C
27%
D
15%
E
18%
F
9%

Total votes: 33

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Post by Stay-at-Home Son » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Po$eidon wrote:
Tycho wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
Tycho wrote:
bobblue25 wrote:
Tycho wrote:Current 1L here and I'm very happy with my choice. I'll try to help with questions/concerns you folks might have.
Hi! I'd love to know what your schedule and the workload is like. I took a break from studying and had a job after college so now I'm nervous about getting back to studying :roll:
PM'd you the long version. The upshot is to treat it like a job, manage your time well, stay on top of things and law school can actually be pretty enjoyable!
do you mind PM'ing me the long version as well?
You bet. PM'd.
Pssst...while you're at it... :D
+1 if ya don't mind

coffee4life

New

Post by coffee4life » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:36 pm

Okay everyone...don't be shy... share all the details of ASD with us, unfortunate souls who have final exams coming and couldn't go....

:wink:

please :)

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:25 am

coffee4life wrote:Okay everyone...don't be shy... share all the details of ASD with us, unfortunate souls who have final exams coming and couldn't go....

I truly enjoyed my experience! It is one of the two schools where I walked in and immediately said I see myself going here. I love the physical aesthetics of the campus and seeing how cold it is here/how much time ppl will spend at the school, it certainly has an abundance of study locations and social areas. As I met 2Ls, literally everyone that wanted a firm position was receiving one, even those who were just below the median at very reputable firms.

The other attendees were definitely chill, except I feel like there were some gunners that were pretty apparent. The main concern I think we all had was living in Ithaca and from what I saw, ithaca is tolerable. My only concern is that when winter does set in, the snow may look nice for a while but eventually I'd feel imprisoned inside the law school.

During career services, I'm not sure if it was intentional but they left out info on clerkships, which was a concern. I am negotiating my scholarship right now, so if I get it increased to my requested amount then I'm pretty sure I'll be here in the fall.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:24 am

Litt1tUp wrote:During career services, I'm not sure if it was intentional but they left out info on clerkships, which was a concern. I am negotiating my scholarship right now, so if I get it increased to my requested amount then I'm pretty sure I'll be here in the fall.
1L here: Don't worry, they provide a ton of info on clerkships when you're actually a student, and if the general info isn't enough, Liz Peck, the Asst. Dean for Clerkships, is very approachable and helpful.

Also, thanks for coming, you guys. In preparation, they littered the school with free coffee, had twice the usual selection of wines at the mixer, and fixed some minor things like bathroom door locks, etc. Made my day a lot better.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:46 am

Clearly, they intentionally withheld clerkship info to weed out the aforementioned gunners and make sure they don't attend.

But really, afaik, they've never presented clerkship info at the ASD. They certainly didn't at mine, and I didn't give it a second thought.

And they can't be hiding anything, since c/o 2016 data will definitely be better than c/o 2015.
cantexplaingottago wrote:In preparation, they littered the school with free coffee, had twice the usual selection of wines at the mixer, and fixed some minor things like bathroom door locks, etc. Made my day a lot better.
Jealous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

coffee4life

New

Post by coffee4life » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:30 am

Litt1tUp wrote:
coffee4life wrote:Okay everyone...don't be shy... share all the details of ASD with us, unfortunate souls who have final exams coming and couldn't go....

I truly enjoyed my experience! It is one of the two schools where I walked in and immediately said I see myself going here. I love the physical aesthetics of the campus and seeing how cold it is here/how much time ppl will spend at the school, it certainly has an abundance of study locations and social areas. As I met 2Ls, literally everyone that wanted a firm position was receiving one, even those who were just below the median at very reputable firms.

The other attendees were definitely chill, except I feel like there were some gunners that were pretty apparent. The main concern I think we all had was living in Ithaca and from what I saw, ithaca is tolerable. My only concern is that when winter does set in, the snow may look nice for a while but eventually I'd feel imprisoned inside the law school.

During career services, I'm not sure if it was intentional but they left out info on clerkships, which was a concern. I am negotiating my scholarship right now, so if I get it increased to my requested amount then I'm pretty sure I'll be here in the fall.
Hey!

Thank you so much for the info! I'm glad you had a great time. To be honest, living in Ithaca is okay for me. lol don't worry when winter sets in I'm sure we'll all have so much to do anyways that feeling "imprisoned inside" would be a must at any law school.
Good luck on your scholarship negotiation! I hope to see you there in August!

mtf612

Bronze

Post by mtf612 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:56 pm

I had a good time, though I hate mixers. I always feel super uncomfortable and claustrophobic. It'd be easier if I knew someone I guess.

Still in Ithaca for the day, sitting in a coffee shop here on campus. The town seems a bit too small and isolated for me, coming from Los Angeles, so that was/is my biggest concern.

Cornell gave me $$$$ though so I'm seriously considering it depending on what my remaining offers turn out being.

Edit: College Town Bagels is DANK. Wish I had a car to see more of the campus and Ithaca. Not looking forward to my Greyhound tomorrow

Twenty64

New

Post by Twenty64 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Litt1tUp wrote: During career services, I'm not sure if it was intentional but they left out info on clerkships, which was a concern. I am negotiating my scholarship right now, so if I get it increased to my requested amount then I'm pretty sure I'll be here in the fall.
I spoke briefly with Dean Peck and the impression I got was that clerkships are something that Cornell is starting to focus on more heavily. If it is something you are interested in, she will work with you starting in 1L. I also know that a ton of Cornell professors have clerked so that is probably something they can help with.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:31 pm

I had a really great time at ASD! The law school building is beautiful and I liked the friendly vibe, all the students I met were super cool. It definitely seemed like everyone was able to get the kind of job opportunities they wanted. Talked to one guy in particular about connections with the upstate federal districts. Lots of moot court opportunities which I found appealing.

Even the current students all generally agreed that the location is the downside, haha. I drove there and I'm glad I did/would definitely want a car on-campus for getting around, groceries, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

simplypara588

New

Post by simplypara588 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Planning on going to the next ASD. Anyone who went last week and had a financial aid meeting willing to share their experience?

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:18 pm

I can't make either ASD, which makes me nervous. It is possible to meet with financial aid at another point if I schedule a tour, no? I hope the office isn't only allotting time for right now.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:19 pm

Twenty64 wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote: During career services, I'm not sure if it was intentional but they left out info on clerkships, which was a concern. I am negotiating my scholarship right now, so if I get it increased to my requested amount then I'm pretty sure I'll be here in the fall.
I spoke briefly with Dean Peck and the impression I got was that clerkships are something that Cornell is starting to focus on more heavily. If it is something you are interested in, she will work with you starting in 1L. I also know that a ton of Cornell professors have clerked so that is probably something they can help with.
I'm a clerk-alum, and I can tell you the support for clerkships since Dean Peñalver was (re-)appointed is a world of difference compared to when I attended and it was basically a do-it-yourself project.

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:36 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Twenty64 wrote:
I'm a clerk-alum, and I can tell you the support for clerkships since Dean Peñalver was (re-)appointed is a world of difference compared to when I attended and it was basically a do-it-yourself project.
+1. Dean Peck and the clerkship office are being super proactive with this year's 1Ls and are very open to meet with people.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:41 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:I can't make either ASD, which makes me nervous. It is possible to meet with financial aid at another point if I schedule a tour, no? I hope the office isn't only allotting time for right now.
Sure.

And if you can't meet with them in person, you can always just negotiate via e-mail. Of course, in-person might be more effective because it's harder for them to say no, but I have no experience backing that up.

theboringest

Bronze

Post by theboringest » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:25 am

Anecdotally, I heard a couple kids tried in person negotiations at the last ASD and were told the financial aid office needed to review their stuff- so no real in person negotiations possible. Anecdotal though.

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:55 am

theboringest wrote:Anecdotally, I heard a couple kids tried in person negotiations at the last ASD and were told the financial aid office needed to review their stuff- so no real in person negotiations possible. Anecdotal though.
I began negotiations in person at the last ASD which was basically me stating my reasons and showing my other offers, and got a "we will reconsider your offer." Monday morning I woke up to a scholly bump.

parcori

New

Post by parcori » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:04 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ReadyToStart

New

Post by ReadyToStart » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:41 am

Just deposited!
Hope to see y'all there!

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:03 am

Deposited. Barring surprise waitlist stuff, I'll be seeing you all there in August (skipped the ASDs due to work schedule and visited another time instead - quite liked it).

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:38 pm

I really liked Cornell and Ithaca a lot more than I expected! I know it was a warm sunny day, but still I loved the campus.

Also totally understood the significance of a small class size.

If anyone has successfully negotiated your scholarship offer, can you kindly let me know to which email you sent your request? (Any any other tips :) )

Cc1234

New

Post by Cc1234 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:23 am

Attended ASD! One thing that I really enjoyed was how they truly incorporated the feedback they received from the earlier ASD and did their best to make positive changes. It seems like they follow this approach with the law school as a whole, also. My tour guide discussed how Cornell Law holds forums where students discuss issues and administration attempts to resolve them. She spoke about how their voices were valued, which I appreciated.

To speak to the clerkship issue, there was someone who spoke for ~15 minutes during the career services seminar about clerkship options. Sounds like one of the changes that they made based on feedback. Sorry you didn't get the chance to hear but she seemed very very willing to help/meet/email with students about clerkships.

Overall I got a very good impression! The speakers were down to earth while still being extremely impressive. We were given a lot of information in general, which I appreciated. Mock class was interesting (a few very enthusiastic students participated often, which didn't catch me by surprise lol). I also loved the student panel. They were honest about Cornell's downfalls and they seemed to have a nice comaraderie. I was already committed but after today, I am definitely looking forward to being there in August!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

capnobvious123

New

Post by capnobvious123 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:32 pm

uhwrestler wrote:
charlee4614 wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:got 60k(20k per year) in scholarship urm with median gpa and 25th lsat

what kind of money did you guys get?

105k, 35k/year.
nice

and do you guys know if cornell is known to be generous when negotiating scholarships?
I went from a 90k total offering to a 120k total offering with one round of negotiations. They definitely negotiate.

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:02 pm

capnobvious123 wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:
charlee4614 wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:got 60k(20k per year) in scholarship urm with median gpa and 25th lsat

105k, 35k/year.
nice

and do you guys know if cornell is known to be generous when negotiating scholarships?
I went from a 90k total offering to a 120k total offering with one round of negotiations. They definitely negotiate.

SO I kind of shot myself in the foot. I sent them an email regarding a scholarship negotiation with all my offers before I got my cornell offer. They gave me 70k, whereas I got literally 100,000+ from t20's, and basically sticker from the rest of the t13. Am I screwed? I did deposit at Cornell, but I'm thinking if I happen to get off one of my waitlists, could I negotiate? Or should I try to send them another email discussing ASD & how I love Cornell but finances... etc, etc.

capnobvious123

New

Post by capnobvious123 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:47 am

lilitiger99 wrote:
capnobvious123 wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:
charlee4614 wrote:

105k, 35k/year.
nice

SO I kind of shot myself in the foot. I sent them an email regarding a scholarship negotiation with all my offers before I got my cornell offer. They gave me 70k, whereas I got literally 100,000+ from t20's, and basically sticker from the rest of the t13. Am I screwed? I did deposit at Cornell, but I'm thinking if I happen to get off one of my waitlists, could I negotiate? Or should I try to send them another email discussing ASD & how I love Cornell but finances... etc, etc.
I'll PM you with my thoughts for what they're worth. If anyone else has any q's feel free to PM me since I've already talked to a few people. Keep in mind I'm just a 0L who got lucky though.

sabres94

New

Post by sabres94 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:35 pm

Checking in! I have committed and signed an apartment lease, so looking forward to seeing everyone in August! For anyone interested, I tried to negotiate up my $105k scholarship using my near full tuition at USC with no luck. Though it sounds like some people are having success, so good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”