Cornell Class of 2020: section poll added, gtfih Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What section are you?

A
21%
B
9%
C
27%
D
15%
E
18%
F
9%

Total votes: 33

Lavitz

Gold

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Post by Lavitz » Sat May 20, 2017 3:32 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:Ugh, just filling out my health history forms now. Think I need to go get a physical but don't know when I can get one scheduled - is June 1st a hard deadline for this? :/
PSA: Law students do NOT need to get a physical.

This has been a source of confusion for at least the past 4 years.
What is your source? I was told I needed one by JD Admissions last year.
The original source was Gannett. Someone called up and asked about that language on that website and they said to ignore it and that it didn't apply to grad students. This was 4 years ago. I've been giving this advice every year, and neither I nor anyone in my class, the c/o 2017, or probably the c/o 2018 had to have a physical.

It's possible they changed the policy, but it's also possible that "JD Admissions" is mistaken and just got fooled by the same language as everyone else. Ask around your class and see if everyone else got one.

For 0Ls, I'd recommend someone calls someone at Gannett or whatever office is listed as being responsible for these forms and confirm what the current policy is. But I'd be willing to bet you don't need one.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Sat May 20, 2017 3:44 pm

I really hope this isn't all due on June 1st :?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat May 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:I really hope this isn't all due on June 1st :?
It's not. This is another thing that comes up every year. That deadline is fake. Just get it in when you can. Preferably before August, because then maybe there will be a fine (see below).

This is the first year I removed this section from the OP because I didn't want to accidentally give any outdate info, but this is what I always included:
Lavitz wrote:
To Do List (You don't have to worry about most of this until April)
  • If you have not yet received your NetID, you may login using your e-mail address in order to track your progress.
  • Deadlines are not strict, but your health forms should be processed by August 9th or else you may be charge a $100 fine
  • For the health forms, the physical is not required.
  • If you do not submit a photo for your student ID, one will be taken at orientation.
  • After receiving your NetID, you may find your Cornell ID # and activate your Cornell e-mail here. (E-mail login located here.)
  • Can sign up for gym membership.
  • All students must submit undergraduate transcripts and the dean's certification directly to the law school before matriculating.
  • Deadline to waive student health insurance plan is September 30th.

And here's a classic Lavitz quote from 2014:
Lavitz wrote:
Question for anyone who knows the answer: So I've seen a few people mention that the physical is not required. What are the grounds for this? I am just going through the health history form and did not see anywhere where it says the physical is optional. Obviously I don't want to do it, but I just want to be sure before I leave that part of the form blank.
It's because every year, someone calls Gannett and they say the same thing: it's only required for varsity athletes. Then that person reports back here / in the fb group. Then most of us send in the forms with no physical and there's no problem whatsoever.

But of course, you're welcome to call them yourself to be sure.

feefeeriri

New

Post by feefeeriri » Sun May 21, 2017 3:05 pm

Malarkey wrote:
cantexplaingottago wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:Ugh, just filling out my health history forms now. Think I need to go get a physical but don't know when I can get one scheduled - is June 1st a hard deadline for this? :/
PSA: Law students do NOT need to get a physical.

This has been a source of confusion for at least the past 4 years.
What is your source? I was told I needed one by JD Admissions last year.
The Cornell Health website also says you need a physical with a doctor's signature.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but Rubbishdump, how did you access the health history form without a NetID? All I can find are health history forms for family members, employees, and athletes. I called Cornell Health and asked, and they had no idea. The law school is closed over the weekend. I can call on Monday, but I figured I'd ask here in case you knew so I could get started on that thing. Or, maybe you're filling out the wrong form.

I emailed admissions and they told me to go here https://todo.newstudents.cornell.edu/fa ... forceLogin

Create an account since we don't have IDs yet and the form can be accessed through there. I just did my physical today.

Roose

New

Post by Roose » Sun May 21, 2017 3:23 pm

I ended up calling health services, and they said I would only need a physical for sports.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Sun May 21, 2017 3:28 pm

feefeeriri wrote:I emailed admissions and they told me to go here https://todo.newstudents.cornell.edu/fa ... forceLogin

Create an account since we don't have IDs yet and the form can be accessed through there. I just did my physical today.
Ah, awesome. Thanks.

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Mon May 22, 2017 6:46 pm

sorry if this is a stupid question
this is my first time doing federal loans

when completing Cornells federal loan application we apply for funding on a per year basis right?
in other words, we apply for tuition and living costs of one academic year and then we reapply next year for our 2l year funding right?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon May 22, 2017 7:48 pm

uhwrestler wrote:sorry if this is a stupid question

when completing Cornells federal loan application we apply for funding on a per year basis right?
in other words, we apply for tuition and living costs of one academic year and then we reapply next year for our 2l year funding right?
Yes.

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Mon May 22, 2017 8:24 pm

Lavitz wrote:

Yes.
thanks!

just one more question i also noticed that tuition went up about 2000 dollars from last year.....will this happen every year and can we lock ourselves at our 1l year tuition for 2l and 3l year or do 2l's and 3l's have to also pay the tuition increase?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon May 22, 2017 8:49 pm

uhwrestler wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Yes.
thanks!

just one more question i also noticed that tuition went up about 2000 dollars from last year.....will this happen every year and can we lock ourselves at our 1l year tuition for 2l and 3l year or do 2l's and 3l's have to also pay the tuition increase?
You have to pay the tuition increase. Just pray it doesn't go up that high again. Or make some noise about it at one of the town halls they'll hopefully have again.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Mon May 22, 2017 9:12 pm

How late do the buses run to and from campus?

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue May 23, 2017 1:22 am

Any news on NetIds? Were supposed to be rolled out beginning last Monday.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue May 23, 2017 1:24 am

Rubbishdump wrote:How late do the buses run to and from campus?
The TCAT timings may vary by route but the one I checked for myself had the last loop at around 11.55pm. Check the TCAT route for your coordinates.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

coffee4life

New

Post by coffee4life » Thu May 25, 2017 1:22 am

freekick wrote:Any news on NetIds? Were supposed to be rolled out beginning last Monday.
I'm so glad you asked.... I thought I was freaking out all by myself....where are they?

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Thu May 25, 2017 2:00 am

coffee4life wrote:
freekick wrote:Any news on NetIds? Were supposed to be rolled out beginning last Monday.
I'm so glad you asked.... I thought I was freaking out all by myself....where are they?
On their way according to Dean Ingram's FB post. Should hit us in the next 24-72 hrs via text message or snail mail, she said.

coffee4life

New

Post by coffee4life » Sat May 27, 2017 12:50 pm

freekick wrote:
coffee4life wrote:
On their way according to Dean Ingram's FB post. Should hit us in the next 24-72 hrs via text message or snail mail, she said.
They came out yesterday. My email isn't working properly though...also, are we supposed to get student number Id's or do they come with the student cards?

Thank you for all the help guys!

coffee4life

New

Post by coffee4life » Sat May 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Lavitz wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Yes.
thanks!

You have to pay the tuition increase. Just pray it doesn't go up that high again. Or make some noise about it at one of the town halls they'll hopefully have again.
This might seem like a silly question but....the 90k estimated tuition, is that per year or in total?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

counttoten

New

Post by counttoten » Sat May 27, 2017 12:55 pm

coffee4life wrote:
freekick wrote:
coffee4life wrote:
They came out yesterday. My email isn't working properly though...also, are we supposed to get student number Id's or do they come with the student cards?

They come on the ID cards, but if you can find your way into Student Center, it is probably in there as well. EDIT: Student Center is an online portal

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat May 27, 2017 1:01 pm

coffee4life wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Yes.
thanks!

This might seem like a silly question but....the 90k estimated tuition, is that per year or in total?
Are you referring to the 86K number on this page? http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... penses.cfm

That's total cost of attendance, which includes an estimated budget for rent and food, not just tuition. So yes, it's per year.

coffee4life

New

Post by coffee4life » Sat May 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Lavitz wrote:
coffee4life wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Yes.
thanks!

Are you referring to the 86K number on this page? http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... penses.cfm

That's total cost of attendance, which includes an estimated budget for rent and food, not just tuition. So yes, it's per year.
Perfect! That makes it clearer! Thank you :)

coffee4life

New

Post by coffee4life » Sat May 27, 2017 2:14 pm

counttoten wrote:
coffee4life wrote:
freekick wrote:
coffee4life wrote:

They come on the ID cards, but if you can find your way into Student Center, it is probably in there as well. EDIT: Student Center is an online portal
Hey! Thank you again :)
I tried looking on the sc but gave up. I'll just wait until I pick up the card.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

counttoten

New

Post by counttoten » Sat May 27, 2017 2:18 pm

coffee4life wrote:
counttoten wrote:
coffee4life wrote:
freekick wrote:
coffee4life wrote:

Just took a look (couldn't do it earlier) - it should be under Demographic Data (confusing, I know). If it's not there, then I guess you'll have to wait until you get your physical ID.

coffee4life

New

Post by coffee4life » Sat May 27, 2017 3:03 pm

counttoten wrote:
coffee4life wrote:
counttoten wrote:
coffee4life wrote:
freekick wrote:
coffee4life wrote:

Just took a look (couldn't do it earlier) - it should be under Demographic Data (confusing, I know). If it's not there, then I guess you'll have to wait until you get your physical ID.
Omg you're so amazing! THANK YOU :) it's there.
I'm so sorry I made you do the work for me!

Have a great day!

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi incoming 1Ls! Just finished my 1L year at Cornell and loved it. PM or quote me with questions.

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Sun May 28, 2017 3:36 am

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:Hi incoming 1Ls! Just finished my 1L year at Cornell and loved it. PM or quote me with questions.
how were the relationships among your 1l class, have you gotten some close friends?
did you join any groups or just focus on grades?
how competitive is cornell? cutthroat or more chill? how difficult is it to get top 10%?
how much is the workload, did you have a life outside of school?
do professors engage with students outside of class and build relationships?
does the school assist you in job hunting for 1l summer internship positions?
does the school, in general, give you individual support in your career goals (career counseling)?
how brutal was the winter?

i apologize if i asked way too many questions

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”