Cornell Class of 2020: section poll added, gtfih Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What section are you?

A
21%
B
9%
C
27%
D
15%
E
18%
F
9%

Total votes: 33

sabres94

New

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Post by sabres94 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:37 pm

Tycho wrote:
bobblue25 wrote:
Tycho wrote:Current 1L here and I'm very happy with my choice. I'll try to help with questions/concerns you folks might have.
Hi! I'd love to know what your schedule and the workload is like. I took a break from studying and had a job after college so now I'm nervous about getting back to studying :roll:
PM'd you the long version. The upshot is to treat it like a job, manage your time well, stay on top of things and law school can actually be pretty enjoyable!
If you don't mind, I'd love the same!!

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:42 pm

anyone have the 2017-2018 academic calendar?

EDIT: never mind i found it https://support.law.cornell.edu/student ... lendar.pdf

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:48 pm

hey has anyone received federal loan offers from cornell yet?

i applied for loans through fafsa a few weeks ago but havnt heard back from cornell yet

i have already received scholarship aid and sent my deposit.

Lavitz

Gold

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Post by Lavitz » Sat May 06, 2017 12:54 am

Man, this thread is dead this year. Added a poll to try and liven things up.

Also, check in here so we don't embarrass ourselves: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 7&t=276168

feefeeriri

New

Post by feefeeriri » Mon May 15, 2017 4:20 pm

Does anyone know when the latest I can sign a lease at CT is?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Mon May 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Lavitz wrote:Man, this thread is dead this year.
The applicant thread was a total bloodbath, so it kind of makes sense.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue May 16, 2017 12:08 am

The second depost deadline just passed. The class of 2020 is now cast for the most part.

Do we have any outdoor runners on here? How do you plan to keep it up during the Ithaca winter? What months are totally off for outdoor running? Any apparel suggestions to fight off the cold and squeeze in a 30-min run with warm up and warm down indoors?

Susurrus

New

Post by Susurrus » Tue May 16, 2017 1:41 pm

everything seems to be so quiet and I'm wondering if im missing something. I remember when I deposited elsewhere last year, that school used to spam me constantly with emails, but cornell has been very quiet (almost forgot to deposit yesterday since I didn't realize the 2nd deposit was even here). specifically talking about things like accepting fin aid/scholarship, loans, school user id, etc. also did you guys receive anything in the snail mail after being accepted other than the informational red book a couple of months ago and the portfolio/pad.

s3mant1x

New

Post by s3mant1x » Tue May 16, 2017 1:44 pm

feefeeriri wrote:Does anyone know when the latest I can sign a lease at CT is?
uh not to freak you out but you should be on that yesterday

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

feefeeriri

New

Post by feefeeriri » Tue May 16, 2017 2:34 pm

s3mant1x wrote:
feefeeriri wrote:Does anyone know when the latest I can sign a lease at CT is?
uh not to freak you out but you should be on that yesterday
Yikes

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue May 16, 2017 5:40 pm

freekick wrote:The second depost deadline just passed. The class of 2020 is now cast for the most part.

Do we have any outdoor runners on here? How do you plan to keep it up during the Ithaca winter? What months are totally off for outdoor running? Any apparel suggestions to fight off the cold and squeeze in a 30-min run with warm up and warm down indoors?
Outdoor running is possible for most of the winter. I highly recommend you hit up your local running store and ask for their advice, because the specialty shops really do know what they're doing. I layer leggings under my normal running pants, a jacket/sweatshirt over my normal running shirts, and wear running gloves and something to cover my ears. Covering your ears and fingers is the post important part. The rest of your body maintains warmth pretty well once you start getting into the run. On the particularly cold days, you might want a neck gaiter to keep your neck/mouth warm. We had a once-in-a-generation snow day this spring, but I still saw people running outside. I accidentally got caught out in a deluge of rain just the other day, and it was fine. I mean, I was as wet as if I had jumped into the lake, but it's no big deal, I finished my run.

tl;dr: Cover the parts of your body that have terrible circulation and you'll be fine.

coffee4life

New

Post by coffee4life » Tue May 16, 2017 7:18 pm

Hey all, does anyone know when do we get the Net ID?

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue May 16, 2017 8:46 pm

coffee4life wrote:Hey all, does anyone know when do we get the Net ID?
Are supposed to be sent after May 15 per Dean Ingram's FB post. So any time now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue May 16, 2017 11:50 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:
freekick wrote:The second depost deadline just passed. The class of 2020 is now cast for the most part.

Outdoor running is possible for most of the winter. I highly recommend you hit up your local running store and ask for their advice, because the specialty shops really do know what they're doing. I layer leggings under my normal running pants, a jacket/sweatshirt over my normal running shirts, and wear running gloves and something to cover my ears. Covering your ears and fingers is the post important part. The rest of your body maintains warmth pretty well once you start getting into the run. On the particularly cold days, you might want a neck gaiter to keep your neck/mouth warm. We had a once-in-a-generation snow day this spring, but I still saw people running outside. I accidentally got caught out in a deluge of rain just the other day, and it was fine. I mean, I was as wet as if I had jumped into the lake, but it's no big deal, I finished my run.

tl;dr: Cover the parts of your body that have terrible circulation and you'll be fine.
Thanks! Was dreading the prospect of treadmill running. Time to put together the winter 'armor'.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed May 17, 2017 2:04 pm

freekick wrote:Thanks! Was dreading the prospect of treadmill running. Time to put together the winter 'armor'.
I highly recommend http://www.fingerlakesrunningco.com/. In addition to help outfit you for winter (and I ran every winter in law school), they can also help point you in the direction of all the great trails in the area, upcoming races, etc.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Wed May 17, 2017 2:13 pm

Lincoln wrote:
freekick wrote:Thanks! Was dreading the prospect of treadmill running. Time to put together the winter 'armor'.
I highly recommend http://www.fingerlakesrunningco.com/. In addition to help outfit you for winter (and I ran every winter in law school), they can also help point you in the direction of all the great trails in the area, upcoming races, etc.
A cursory look suggests they have a lot to offer. Will explore it further. Thanks for sharing. This is massive relief.

capnobvious123

New

Post by capnobvious123 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:28 pm

I know there have been a lot of questions previously about cost of living/finding off campus apartments, but I wanted to run a few quick q's by the thread to see if people had thoughts:

1. How does the nitty gritty of using student loans to pay for rent/food work? I have some savings that might cover a good deal of rent over the three years, and my girlfriend is going to be living with me and working, but I'm anticipating having to use loans to cover some costs. Short of a potentially long answer to this, could anyone point me towards a good resource?

2. Given the above, what's a realistic target for monthly rent? We were originally aiming to keep it under 1k/month for a one bedroom, but we've had trouble finding things, and I was considering looking at things more in the 1.2k - 1.3k range to give more wiggle room. I'm aware that it's a dangerous game to be playing with the interest on student loans, but it's pretty much where I'm stuck.

3. Anybody have experience with North Wood or Gaslight Village Apartments?

4. I think I've read on here/elsewhere that driving in the winter isn't that big of an issue, and that snow removal is pretty good/efficient. I drive a car that absolutely sucks in the snow. Should I be planning on being more or less unable to drive to campus in the winter? I was looking primarily at places too far from campus to walk/bike, but I can start considering public transit more seriously if snow is a frequent problem.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

coffee4life

New

Post by coffee4life » Thu May 18, 2017 9:58 pm

freekick wrote:
coffee4life wrote:Hey all, does anyone know when do we get the Net ID?
Are supposed to be sent after May 15 per Dean Ingram's FB post. So any time now.

Awesome! thanks a lot :)

Lawschool305

Bronze

Post by Lawschool305 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Saw a hot pot place near campus. Anyone know of it is good?

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Sat May 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Ugh, just filling out my health history forms now. Think I need to go get a physical but don't know when I can get one scheduled - is June 1st a hard deadline for this? :/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat May 20, 2017 12:59 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:Ugh, just filling out my health history forms now. Think I need to go get a physical but don't know when I can get one scheduled - is June 1st a hard deadline for this? :/
PSA: Law students do NOT need to get a physical.

This has been a source of confusion for at least the past 4 years.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Sat May 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:Ugh, just filling out my health history forms now. Think I need to go get a physical but don't know when I can get one scheduled - is June 1st a hard deadline for this? :/

Thanks for clarifying.

I'm still confused regarding the deadline - are certain portions due at different dates/what exactly is due on the 1st? If anyone is able to clarify, please do. Working a lot for this last stretch in order to save as much money as possible, so I haven't bwen able to keep up as well as I'd like

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Sat May 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Lavitz wrote:

What is your source? I was told I needed one by JD Admissions last year.

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Sat May 20, 2017 2:54 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

What is your source? I was told I needed one by JD Admissions last year.
The Cornell Health website also says you need a physical with a doctor's signature.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but Rubbishdump, how did you access the health history form without a NetID? All I can find are health history forms for family members, employees, and athletes. I called Cornell Health and asked, and they had no idea. The law school is closed over the weekend. I can call on Monday, but I figured I'd ask here in case you knew so I could get started on that thing. Or, maybe you're filling out the wrong form.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”