Duke Law Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

what section are you in?

50%
No votes
No votes
No votes
50%
No votes

Total votes: 4

Keilz

Gold

Re: Duke Law Class of 2020

Post by Keilz » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:50 am

Harry Ass Truman wrote:Officially living at Garrett West next year, slide thru. Also, not liking Chik-fil-a is an immediate red flag.
:( okay pls like me *eats three chicken sandwiches*

JustWannaGraduate

New

Post by JustWannaGraduate » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Hey peeps!

Late admit here (admitted Friday). Still waiting on scholly info but even a little bit of money would probably have me attending Duke!

Just wanted to get some feedback on rent in Durham - what's everyone looking at, what's a reasonable price to pay, etc. Anything possible can help!

Sorry if this has already been discussed earlier in the thread.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:09 pm

JustWannaGraduate wrote:Hey peeps!

Late admit here (admitted Friday). Still waiting on scholly info but even a little bit of money would probably have me attending Duke!

Just wanted to get some feedback on rent in Durham - what's everyone looking at, what's a reasonable price to pay, etc. Anything possible can help!

Sorry if this has already been discussed earlier in the thread.
Personally looking to split a house with my SO, average price for 2 bedroom is about $1300 so I'm looking at 650/month.

I know in apartments depending on how many roommates you're ok with rent can range from $500 (4 roomates) to 1K for a solo.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
Personally looking to split a house with my SO, average price for 2 bedroom is about $1300 so I'm looking at 650/month.

I know in apartments depending on how many roommates you're ok with rent can range from $500 (4 roomates) to 1K for a solo.
I've been trying to stay out of this thread, but wanted to offer some suggestions (if you haven't seen them in other Duke threads). Make sure you are using all of the resources available to you. SO and I were looking at townhouses and houses on hotpads/zillow. They were okay, but nothing really popped out at us. We ended up finding the perfect place for us ($1100, 2bed/1bath, 1.5mi commute from door to door) on a site recommended by some friends at Duke who also found their place on it: offcampushousing.duke.edu. I think you can only access it when you set up your Duke email, but definitely take advantage of that and DukeList (on your my.duke.edu) when you get your login stuff. Hotpads/Zillow are good, but some local folks don't like to advertise on sites like that, so you'll find some gems on the local sites.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:20 am

So once we put down a deposit are we like, done?

I have set up my email and everything but I'm curious how things like parking permits and insurance works. Is that all at orientation or will we get info in the summer (or am I totally missing something?)

I'm not sure if I have any action items still

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Post by thatblondegirl » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:22 pm

How do we set up our email?

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:12 pm

thatblondegirl wrote:How do we set up our email?
Did you get the email from Duke IT yet? Once you've set up your Id just go to my.duke.edu and login and click email

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:14 pm

Did you get the email from Duke IT yet? Once you've set up your Id just go to my.duke.edu and login and click email
Did you set up email or netID? The only thing I set up was netID but I think it's the same thing as email, right?

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Post by thatblondegirl » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:20 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
Did you set up email or netID? The only thing I set up was netID but I think it's the same thing as email, right?
Thanks! I set up the netID days ago but had no idea of what to do/where to go from there. :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
yeah, once I got my netid up I just started poking around the area behind the login and you can get to like everything you need in there

sailorgirl22

New

Post by sailorgirl22 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:33 pm

Is anyone looking at Bell West End for housing next year??

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:13 pm

sailorgirl22 wrote:Is anyone looking at Bell West End for housing next year??
I am not but if you're going to Duke you should rep in the destinations thread ;)

Harry Ass Truman

New

Post by Harry Ass Truman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:43 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
yeah, once I got my netid up I just started poking around the area behind the login and you can get to like everything you need in there
I deposited a couple weeks back and haven't gotten this? I called to make sure I'm all set with my deposit and they I was, so should I just email or wait it out?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:46 pm

Harry Ass Truman wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
I deposited a couple weeks back and haven't gotten this? I called to make sure I'm all set with my deposit and they I was, so should I just email or wait it out?
I would check spam and then email. You don't need to set everything up yet, but it's probably best to nip it in the bud. Getting your Duke ID seem pretty necessary for like everything

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:52 pm

just logged into my email and now I feel badass 8)

any idea how to link this to the iPhone? keeps telling me my account doesn't exist.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:56 pm

proteinshake wrote:just logged into my email and now I feel badass 8)

any idea how to link this to the iPhone? keeps telling me my account doesn't exist.
Did you have any emails? All I have is confirmation from the offcampus housing site

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:59 pm

Did you have any emails? All I have is confirmation from the offcampus housing site
nope, empty inbox.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:18 pm

proteinshake wrote:

nope, empty inbox.

I keep getting a message that the link was blocked. I assume we'll have to wait to get it hooked up.

Also may just forward all my email like I did in UG

Update: I was able to get close adding it to my Android Gmail, but it wants administrator privileges which I can't give because that would mess up current work email. If you run it through iPhone and use exchange instead of outlook it should work

Serett

Post by Serett » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:41 pm

https://knowledge.oit.duke.edu/?p=972

Blue664

New

Post by Blue664 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:So once we put down a deposit are we like, done?

I have set up my email and everything but I'm curious how things like parking permits and insurance works. Is that all at orientation or will we get info in the summer (or am I totally missing something?)

I'm not sure if I have any action items still
+1, also wondering about parking and insurance, etc.

Do we need to do anything to accept loans right now?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Blue664 wrote:.
please check into the Destinations thread thank you :mrgreen: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=276168

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blue664

New

Post by Blue664 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:49 pm

proteinshake wrote:
please check into the Destinations thread thank you :mrgreen: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=276168
Lol okay okay, just did! Now, if anyone has any information to feed the neurotic monster inside me, that would be lovely. :)

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Post by thatblondegirl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:54 pm

Blue664 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Lol okay okay, just did! Now, if anyone has any information to feed the neurotic monster inside me, that would be lovely. :)
I remember reading something that said we would automatically be enrolled into the university's insurance mid September if we hadn't opted out. You can start buying parking passes July 15th. However, I'm a 0L so take everything I just said with a grain of salt.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:06 pm

How do you all feel about the fact that most people drive to school?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Keilz wrote:How do you all feel about the fact that most people drive to school?
not a big deal at all since you won't have traffic. I definitely prefer it to public transportation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”