Duke Law Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

what section are you in?

50%
No votes
No votes
No votes
50%
No votes

Total votes: 4

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Re: Duke Law Class of 2020

Post by melmelcoolj » Fri May 12, 2017 12:45 am

I have grown up in metropolitan areas and never learned to drive. And I don't own a car. Although both situations could change (to some degree) over the summer, I am still a little scared for myself when I learned that public transportation does not work here.

Additional question: did you guys visit the apartments you are leasing? It seems impossible for me to visit for I am abroad, so I am wondering if apartment hunting is doable without a visit.

Really appreciate any help!

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Fri May 12, 2017 11:36 am

Stephylynette wrote:
proteinshake wrote:I'll be there August 10th.
I'm far too anxious to try to move in that close to orientation but now that I think about it, I did it with undergrad and it was fine. I think I'm just being neurotic lmao starting 1L off right
I'm also moving late July/early August. I know I don't need to per se, but want time to find a gym I like and try out food places and random such stuff before jumping into school.

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Post by thatblondegirl » Fri May 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Stephylynette wrote:Well they'll definitely work with you on a deal if you make sure they know you're with Duke. You can probably get a month or two free
This was clutch to know. I had no idea apartment complexes were willing to negotiate pricing.

carlos_danger

Bronze

Post by carlos_danger » Fri May 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
carlos_danger wrote:I know I'm late to this party, but anyone have any suggestions on finding an apartment/roommate?
the Facebook group is probably your best bet.

you should also check in in the Destinations thread! http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=276168
Yea! Join us in the Destinations Thread!
Thanks y'all!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri May 12, 2017 10:54 pm

lol so I'm at a cousin's friend's house and his sister-in-law is a law professor at Duke

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Fri May 12, 2017 11:11 pm

proteinshake wrote:lol so I'm at a cousin's friend's house and his sister-in-law is a law professor at Duke
Ooo get the inside scoop

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri May 12, 2017 11:54 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
proteinshake wrote:lol so I'm at a cousin's friend's house and his sister-in-law is a law professor at Duke
Ooo get the inside scoop
oh I did

Serett

Post by Serett » Sat May 13, 2017 12:40 am

melmelcoolj wrote:I have grown up in metropolitan areas and never learned to drive. And I don't own a car. Although both situations could change (to some degree) over the summer, I am still a little scared for myself when I learned that public transportation does not work here.
While implied below, I do not see a question here. Taking a stab at it anyway, you'd be best off learning to drive and getting a vehicle, if financially feasible for you, but I know a handful of people who didn't and got by for three years.
Additional question: did you guys visit the apartments you are leasing? It seems impossible for me to visit for I am abroad, so I am wondering if apartment hunting is doable without a visit.

You can definitely apartment hunt from afar. It's not as ideal, but at the very least it's tough to go wrong with any of the complexes that are frequently mentioned here/on FB/on de novo. I leased a room in a townhouse without ever seeing the place in person, and it worked out well for me (anecdotal disclaimer). Assuming you're looking to live walking/biking distance from the law school, I'm not sure that any of those complexes have quite as good as a reputation among law students (not necessarily because they're shit but because they're more frequently populated by undergrads, although if you can afford it, Heights at Meridian = gorgeous), but people have stayed for three years at Trinity Commons and the other Erwin Road buildings.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sat May 13, 2017 11:31 am

Serett wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:I have grown up in metropolitan areas and never learned to drive. And I don't own a car. Although both situations could change (to some degree) over the summer, I am still a little scared for myself when I learned that public transportation does not work here.
While implied below, I do not see a question here. Taking a stab at it anyway, you'd be best off learning to drive and getting a vehicle, if financially feasible for you, but I know a handful of people who didn't and got by for three years.

You can definitely apartment hunt from afar. It's not as ideal, but at the very least it's tough to go wrong with any of the complexes that are frequently mentioned here/on FB/on de novo. I leased a room in a townhouse without ever seeing the place in person, and it worked out well for me (anecdotal disclaimer). Assuming you're looking to live walking/biking distance from the law school, I'm not sure that any of those complexes have quite as good as a reputation among law students (not necessarily because they're shit but because they're more frequently populated by undergrads, although if you can afford it, Heights at Meridian = gorgeous), but people have stayed for three years at Trinity Commons and the other Erwin Road buildings.
Thanks Serett for the detailed answers. I guess I will have to go with one of the buildings mentioned on de novo. I think I can walk around 2km to school with no problem, and I can bike if walking gets a little too much. I will learn to drive over the summer (more like now), but I am not sure how far I can get just starting. And if I can pick up the skill before August, then I would get a car and a permit. Thanks again!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawandorder1234

New

Post by lawandorder1234 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:24 pm

Hey everybody. Are there any next step in terms of completing enrollment? Is there a second deposit in June like some other schools?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:41 pm

lawandorder1234 wrote:Hey everybody. Are there any next step in terms of completing enrollment? Is there a second deposit in June like some other schools?
I'm not really sure, but I do know that you're supposed to check in at http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1200 :mrgreen:

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Mon May 15, 2017 9:56 pm

those living by themselves: where are you staying and how much are you paying?

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Tue May 16, 2017 9:19 am

COMING THIS FALL: offering access to my Sam's club membership in exchange for carrying my bulk items into my apartment. Teamwork makes the dream work y'all

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Post by thatblondegirl » Wed May 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Stephylynette wrote:COMING THIS FALL: offering access to my Sam's club membership in exchange for carrying my bulk items into my apartment. Teamwork makes the dream work y'all
I will gladly take you up on this offer

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Wed May 17, 2017 5:58 pm

thatblondegirl wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:COMING THIS FALL: offering access to my Sam's club membership in exchange for carrying my bulk items into my apartment. Teamwork makes the dream work y'all
YES. Apartment and Sam's Club buddies

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed May 17, 2017 6:11 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
thatblondegirl wrote:
I'm so glad Sam's Club, Costco, Walmart, and Whole Foods are all in Durham. only Trader Joe's is in Chapel Hill (only like a 10 min drive tho).

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Wed May 17, 2017 7:07 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
thatblondegirl wrote:
I'm so glad Sam's Club, Costco, Walmart, and Whole Foods are all in Durham. only Trader Joe's is in Chapel Hill (only like a 10 min drive tho).
Speaking of, I am also seeking to piggy back off of someone's Costco membership in a Sam's -Costco exchange. Let a sister know if you're into it

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Fri May 19, 2017 10:36 am

Received my travel stipend yesterday. Praise it

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri May 19, 2017 1:46 pm

I'm totally into any offer of Sam's Club/Costco runs. I can provide a vehicle, company, and a reasonable ability to pick things up and put them down.

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Fri May 19, 2017 2:35 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:I'm totally into any offer of Sam's Club/Costco runs. I can provide a vehicle, company, and a reasonable ability to pick things up and put them down.
Yes!!! Looking forward to it Degrees

GOODWORKSTE

New

Post by GOODWORKSTE » Sat May 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Think I'm going to end up staying at Lofts at Lakeview. They were the nicest for one-bed one-bath by far from all the other places I toured.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:56 pm

GOODWORKSTE wrote:Think I'm going to end up staying at Lofts at Lakeview. They were the nicest for one-bed one-bath by far from all the other places I toured.
Congrats! Check in on the destinations thread!

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Sun May 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Anyone else trying to play intramurals at some point? (if there ever comes enough time for that 1L?)

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun May 28, 2017 2:02 pm

joeytribbiani wrote:Anyone else trying to play intramurals at some point? (if there ever comes enough time for that 1L?)
As a current student, people find time for intramurals. There is the law school softball league in the fall in which each 1l section participates and teams of 2/3ls. Further, some people find time for flag football, basketball, etc. There is also the law school bowling league. Most games for grad school leagues are played late at night to give everyone the best chance of attending, but it can be hard as a 1l sometimes, especially come Nov when finals roll around and the 1l class collectively freaks out.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:05 pm

joeytribbiani wrote:Anyone else trying to play intramurals at some point? (if there ever comes enough time for that 1L?)
definitely wanting to make time for softball

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”