UVA Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
WarriorPoet

New

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by WarriorPoet » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:07 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:OK everybody. It looks like the mob has spoken loudly and with (mostly) one voice.

The bar review tomorrow evening will be at the Biltmore. http://thebiltmorecville.com

If you are so inclined, please join us there after all the fun and frivolity from day-one's activities is over.

Looking forward to meeting you all. Safe travels!
Isn't tomorrow the trivia night?
Yeah but doesn't that only go till like... 10?
What do you mean "only til 10"? Do people still do stuff after 10? I seem to remember that becoming uncool right around the time I hit 30. Is it the Pokémon Go everyone's talking about?

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:12 pm

WarriorPoet wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:OK everybody. It looks like the mob has spoken loudly and with (mostly) one voice.

The bar review tomorrow evening will be at the Biltmore. http://thebiltmorecville.com

If you are so inclined, please join us there after all the fun and frivolity from day-one's activities is over.

Yeah but doesn't that only go till like... 10?
What do you mean "only til 10"? Do people still do stuff after 10? I seem to remember that becoming uncool right around the time I hit 30. Is it the Pokémon Go everyone's talking about?
To be fair, my favorite bar doesn't even open until 8pm but I also live in NYC. Bars close at 4am here, most stay till at least 2am. Work hard play harder, I guess?

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:34 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
ReadM1084 wrote:Hey guys,

100% committed here, both deposits and all. I'm super excited to meet all of you; however, I won't be at ASW because of mock trial ORCS. Still pumped to meet you all in the fall.

Out of curiosity, is anyone else in here paying full sticker? After skimming this forum I feel like I'm the only one haha.

Slam some beers for me at the Bilt.
I'm not 100% committed but am considering attending at full sticker price. Glad to see I'm not the only one.
I gotchu. Beers picked out, and chasers too
You the real MVP.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:49 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
SweetTort wrote:

Yea man...Biltmore is open until 2. So, if trivia is your jam, go ahead and join us later (or not at all...no arm twisting here). If it isn't, head over to the Biltmore early if you'd like. No set "show time" or anything. My guess is people will come and go as they please.
So uhh how are we supposed to identify each other?

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:50 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
SweetTort wrote:

Yea man...Biltmore is open until 2. So, if trivia is your jam, go ahead and join us later (or not at all...no arm twisting here). If it isn't, head over to the Biltmore early if you'd like. No set "show time" or anything. My guess is people will come and go as they please.

The air of condescension that surrounds us ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:59 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
SweetTort wrote:

The air of condescension that surrounds us ;)
:lol: Hoping your typical UVA Law person is fairly social and will make friends during the day's activities. Everybody invite your cool future classmates out and make introductions once you get to the Biltmore. Let it work organically from there.

(Or just look for Warrior Poet and I. We will be the only people at the Biltmore with canes, dentures and grey hair discussing AARP Medicare supplemental insurance policies.)

theboringest

Bronze

Post by theboringest » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:52 pm

Just got here, pumped to meet everyone tomorrow! Maybe I'll try and hit the hotel treadmill before they stuff us full of barbecue...

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:44 am

On the flight to Cville, and the person across from me is reading a Jefferson bio. The cult is real.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:12 am

S.Picquery wrote:On the flight to Cville, and the person across from me is reading a Jefferson bio. The cult is real.
Admitted students are allowed to call him TJ.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

erwuxvcm

New

Post by erwuxvcm » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Last edited by erwuxvcm on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:30 pm

How are y'all enjoying the ASW so far?

ray.bee

Bronze

Post by ray.bee » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Anyone LOVE the school, but unsure about C'Ville?

Partner Track

New

Post by Partner Track » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:16 pm

ray.bee wrote:Anyone LOVE the school, but unsure about C'Ville?
I really took to liking the city on an atmospheric and aesthetic level, and the ASW was absolutely incredible. Everyone I talked to was also incredibly nice and generous, students and townies alike. But in walking around the main campus, it still felt very much like the state school it is if you get my drift. I guess with the law school being somewhat detached from the rest of the campus it's probably inconsequential, but I have to say I was a little disappointed in that regard.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:51 am

PDX4343 wrote:How are y'all enjoying the ASW so far?
TBH I'm at the airport now and I think I may still be tipsy from last night. They go hard, fam... it's not necessarily "fratty" per say (I was worried about that), but it is super clear that they work hard and play hard here.

theboringest

Bronze

Post by theboringest » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:22 pm

So how'd we all enjoy ASW? I had a blast tbh, was pretty tiring but a great experience, glad I went.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:34 pm

theboringest wrote:So how'd we all enjoy ASW? I had a blast tbh, was pretty tiring but a great experience, glad I went.
I made the wrong choice by flying in super early in the AM. It felt like I never caught up on sleep. Especially because the last night involved all those law society "outings." That first day I thought was just... weird. But holy shit. That second day calmed all my fears about UVA. It was awesome. And the mock class I attended was freaking great. Also, taking a moment to just check out the main grounds was so necessary. It's SO beautiful. None of the pictures do it justice. It made UVA a real contender for me, as opposed to just something statistically smart. I could see myself there now if that makes sense...

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:47 pm

ASW was amazing and I'm sure I want to attend (so long as I can sell my S/O on Cville). I sat in on a 1L Conlaw class and the mock class and both profs were great. Since none of the current students I talked to named those two profs as their favorite, I assume the quality of instruction is very high. The student groups were super engaged and I had four scheduled meet-ups with current students before I even arrived.

For those who have attended other schools' ASWs, how did this compare? This is probably the only one I'll be able to attend. I've visited a half dozen law schools over the last year, but only for a few hours a piece. I know every school is trying to put on their best face for these things, but was there anything you noticed that was different in a positive/negative sense compared to others?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:53 pm

AdieuCali wrote:
For those who have attended other schools' ASWs, how did this compare? This is probably the only one I'll be able to attend. I've visited a half dozen law schools over the last year, but only for a few hours a piece. I know every school is trying to put on their best face for these things, but was there anything you noticed that was different in a positive/negative sense compared to others?
Just so you know (in case you don't) half the ASWs are yet to come so you're likely to hear more on this within the next couple of weeks. I know a lot of the folks I met this weekend will also be at Mich's ASW next weekend, and Penn or Duke the weekend after and even more schools in that next weekend that's in April.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:35 pm

I'm pretty sad I couldn't make it out to ASW (although hanging out in south beach wasn't the worst thing ever either). How was the Biltmore and other bars?

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:59 pm

RParadela wrote:I'm pretty sad I couldn't make it out to ASW (although hanging out in south beach wasn't the worst thing ever either). How was the Biltmore and other bars?
The bars were very UG heavy because it was St. Patrick's weekend. But it was pretty great. The food was awesome, the drinks were even better except for Boylan Heights where that was switched. But that might be because I didn't feel like spending money that night and the people I was with kept getting rounds of "The Wahoo." It was waaay too sweet, but whatever. It did the trick.

TL;DR really liked the Biltmore, and the Southern, and Boylan and those are the only ones whose names I remember and definitely attended.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:31 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
AdieuCali wrote:
?
Just so you know (in case you don't) half the ASWs are yet to come so you're likely to hear more on this within the next couple of weeks. I know a lot of the folks I met this weekend will also be at Mich's ASW next weekend, and Penn or Duke the weekend after and even more schools in that next weekend that's in April.
Great I'd love to see how it compares :wink:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LawMan16

New

Post by LawMan16 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:14 am

Member of the c/o 2020 checking in. Both of my seat deposits have been paid, and I just signed a lease on an apartment today. Already stockpiling all of the UVA Law-branded gear I can handle.

Missed ASW due to work commitments - I take it Cville's bar scene proved satisfactory?

More importantly, were the softball fields included on the tour? :D

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:06 am

LawMan16 wrote:Member of the c/o 2020 checking in. Both of my seat deposits have been paid, and I just signed a lease on an apartment today. Already stockpiling all of the UVA Law-branded gear I can handle.

Missed ASW due to work commitments - I take it Cville's bar scene proved satisfactory?

More importantly, were the softball fields included on the tour? :D
Lol the bar scene was pretty great IMO. The fields were not part of the tour, but omg they couldn't stop talking about it. Not in a bad way, just some folks were super excited about their section's team, and the rest were like "it happens and we cheer while not participating at all."

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:14 am

I'm taking it as a good sign that everyone who didn't go to ASW is asking about the bar scene and softball :lol:

LawMan16

New

Post by LawMan16 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:16 pm

For those committed to attending UVA this fall - how is your housing search coming along? Are you planning to live near grounds, or somewhere further afield?

Coming from DC, Cville apartment prices were a very welcome surprise. I managed to find somewhere of comparable quality to my current unit at less then a third of the price. My only concern is that it will be a 15-20 minute drive to the law school, which may get old fast.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”