We're A1L mad here - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Pole] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What Classes Do You Have This Semester?

Ks
16%
Crim
13%
Civ Pro
20%
Torts
14%
Property
10%
Con Law
5%
LRW
21%

Total votes: 401

chargers21

Gold

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Post by chargers21 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Rigo wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
RParadela wrote:Curious, what and where are all of your career goals? I feel like there's a lot of PI folks in this class for whatever reason
Southern transactional biglaw, or I'll be taking my talents to Chicago for the same work. I'm in it for the long haul, hopefully
Bird Law or something like it
I challenge you to a duel

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:20 pm

RParadela wrote:Curious, what and where are all of your career goals? I feel like there's a lot of PI folks in this class for whatever reason
PI. Specifically interested in immigration law (including refugee/asylum law as well as crimmigration) but I am interested in pretty much all social and civil rights issues so who knows. Maybe PD.

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Healthcare practice at a firm to in-house at a biotech company/healthcare provider/hospital system. Who knows really though.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:44 pm

PI over here but I haven't honed in on an exact area yet. I recently started looking a lot into public PI (thanks tomwatts if you're reading!!!) and this might be my sweet spot if I could end up in one of these firms. I'd prefer to stay in Boston but will move wherever if I can get my dream job elsewhere.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:46 pm

uhhhh. not big law and not ambulance chasing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Post by thatblondegirl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Dream job would be GC for a sports league or team (and yes I realize this is damn near impossible). But who knows how I'll feel about things after a year or two of lawl school.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Would love to work for the WTO or UN, or be a judge!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:19 pm

thatblondegirl wrote:Dream job would be GC for a sports league or team (and yes I realize this is damn near impossible). But who knows how I'll feel about things after a year or two of lawl school.
Girlfriend's dad is gc/president of a minor league. Like all of the gc side is transactional work licensing ip and agreements on stadiums.

It's probably not impossible to work that angle (though he also worked super long hours for no money)

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:31 pm

amta wrote:not ambulance chasing.
you sure?
[+] Spoiler

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:32 pm

guybourdin wrote:
amta wrote:not ambulance chasing.
you sure?
[+] Spoiler
:shock: :arrow: :lol:

lol thats great. what are UT's organized crime+big law+fed clerk numbers?

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
thatblondegirl wrote:Dream job would be GC for a sports league or team (and yes I realize this is damn near impossible). But who knows how I'll feel about things after a year or two of lawl school.
Girlfriend's dad is gc/president of a minor league. Like all of the gc side is transactional work licensing ip and agreements on stadiums.

It's probably not impossible to work that angle (though he also worked super long hours for no money)
My dad is GC of a (insert NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL here) team. He talks to a lot of young lawyers who want to do that sort of work. He is a great lawyer I am sure, but has told everyone to never let that sort of thing define your goals. He definitely got lucky knowing the right people to get that sort of interview.

That being said, it is my dream job too. :lol:

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Fucked up with conditional formatting on excel and did a couple days of research on the wrong values. Whoops.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:44 pm

I want PI/govt, but varied interests within that umbrella.
I'd want unicorn impact lit where I can constantly sue the govt if I lucked into it.
Definitely want to explore criminal law more since I'm driven by ~justice~. I was thinking prosecution, but am also really interested in post conviction and innocence project clinics so I also think what prosecutors do is unjust a lot of the time. So I definitely have some PD tendencies, even though I'd probably be most into working on behalf of defendants at a higher level than initial intake into the criminal justice system.

I was at an asw recently and one of the main PI-oriented profs said during the panel something along the lines of "Public Interest Lawyers usually aren't exclusively into just one single issue" when she discussed how she went to law school intending to do X and ended up doing Y upon graduation. So I could really see myself doing anything as long as I'm passionate and feel like I'm fighting the good fight and making a difference.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:46 pm

Anybody else into "Better Call Saul"?

I have reached new lows of Not giving a fuck at work and just binged the entire 1st season.

It's really good, I like that they don't try too lean heavily on working as a lawyer so much as general representation and reccomendation
Last edited by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Dodocogon wrote:
Healthcare practice at a firm to in-house at a biotech company/healthcare provider/hospital system. Who knows really though.
My dad and his firm do a lot of med Mel work. It's pretty lucrative actually

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Post by thatblondegirl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:49 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:

My dad is GC of a (insert NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL here) team. He talks to a lot of young lawyers who want to do that sort of work. He is a great lawyer I am sure, but has told everyone to never let that sort of thing define your goals. He definitely got lucky knowing the right people to get that sort of interview.

That being said, it is my dream job too. :lol:
I know it comes down to timing, networking, and a lot of luck. I'm not banking on this outcome, but I'm planning on trying to pursue it.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:26 pm

Rigo wrote:
I was at an asw recently and one of the main PI-oriented profs said during the panel something along the lines of "public interest lawyers usually aren't exclusively into just one single issue" when she discussed how she went to law school intending to do X and ended up doing Y upon graduation. So I could really see myself doing anything as long as I'm passionate and feel like I'm fighting the good fight and making a difference.
+1000. This whole paragraph makes me feel so much more not alone. It seems like a lot of other PI people are really passionate about one specific thing.
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Anybody else into "Better Call Saul"?

I have reached new lows of Not giving a fuck at work and just binged the entire 1st season.

It's really good, I like that they don't try too lean heavily on working as a lawyer so much as general representation and reccomendation
Better call Saul is amazing. The new season just started last week but I haven't been able to see the first 2 episodes yet. I'm guessing you watched breaking bad also?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:00 am

Why is there an odd number of votes for the MBTI poll?

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:30 am

PI here too. Criminal law, very set against OCI. No particular long-term location goal.
Rigo wrote:I was at an asw recently and one of the main PI-oriented profs said during the panel something along the lines of "public interest lawyers usually aren't exclusively into just one single issue" when she discussed how she went to law school intending to do X and ended up doing Y upon graduation. So I could really see myself doing anything as long as I'm passionate and feel like I'm fighting the good fight and making a difference.
This is me too. I'm prosecution-leaning due to my WE but going to go into school open to exploring the rest of the PI sphere. Would like to get defense experience at some point and also interested in juvenile advocacy and education issues.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:09 am

ashrice13 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
I was at an asw recently and one of the main PI-oriented profs said during the panel something along the lines of "public interest lawyers usually aren't exclusively into just one single issue" when she discussed how she went to law school intending to do X and ended up doing Y upon graduation. So I could really see myself doing anything as long as I'm passionate and feel like I'm fighting the good fight and making a difference.
+1000. This whole paragraph makes me feel so much more not alone. It seems like a lot of other PI people are really passionate about one specific thing.
Yeah, this is great to hear. It is what I assumed initially, but as ash said, it really seemed like a lot of people have an issue already. Probably just they are more vocal or better able to articulate it. I have interests, but I am pretty comfortable saying idk where I'm going to end up and I'm excited about that. let's see what comes.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:14 pm

poll suggestion?

if not ill take some rice purity test questions and put them in a poll.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Anyone else on the love to be in private firms but interested in doing pro bono on the side? (Because somehow in the distant future we'll manage being able to achieve work/life balance and healthy lifestyle choices)

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:05 pm

renc56 wrote:Anyone else on the love to be in private firms but interested in doing pro bono on the side? (Because somehow in the distant future we'll manage being able to achieve work/life balance and healthy lifestyle choices)
lol

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 pm

renc56 wrote:Anyone else on the love to be in private firms but interested in doing pro bono on the side? (Because somehow in the distant future we'll manage being able to achieve work/life balance and healthy lifestyle choices)
What do you mean "on the side"? You can do pro bono work at all (most?) law firms. from what I understand, its generally encouraged in biglaw

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:28 pm

guybourdin wrote:
What do you mean "on the side"? You can do pro bono work at all (most?) law firms. from what I understand, its generally encouraged in biglaw
I mean, on the side of completing day-to-day billable work. I know that a lot of firms count pro bono work into billable hours but from my (admittedly little experience and only on immigration pro bono work) - pro bono can be difficult and time-consuming since it's generally outside one's main focuses of practice.

I'm a really big social justice advocate (not an actual organizer - but involved enough to be called an activist by some) and I'm wondering how that'd work on when working much longer hours that I do now (and when I'm trying to advance in a profession).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”