2L and Back Again Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

What are you doing this summer?

Big Firm
32%
Med/Small Firm
9%
Government
22%
Judicial
13%
Non-Profit
14%
Other
7%
Couch Surfing
3%

Total votes: 153

OtterLaw

Silver

Re: He1Lo From the Otherside

Post by OtterLaw » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:17 am

Dexter97 wrote:Anyone else still waiting on grades!?? :shock:
I've only gotten one so far. Ugh. The deadline at UVA is January 20th and I've heard most professors wait until then if not after. It's literally the worst.

alora

New

Post by alora » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:36 am

supposedly we'll get our grades back tomorrow, but i'm skeptical. i also spent $350 on books this semester, renting. can't even imagine how bad it'd be trying to buy

edit: ok we did get our grades back and let me just say i'm glad i'm not going for big law lmao

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:56 pm

This thread has been so quiet, guessing it has something to do with grade release? How is everyone feeling?

tflan19

Bronze

Post by tflan19 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:05 pm

has anyone heard back from 1L SA non-diversity positions? if so, was it before or after you sent grades. trying to figure out if I should give up on my mass mailing.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:12 pm

tflan19 wrote:has anyone heard back from 1L SA non-diversity positions? if so, was it before or after you sent grades. trying to figure out if I should give up on my mass mailing.
I've gotten interest from a few secondary market firms, non-diversity. No offers, but CBs are starting to roll in.

ETA: no grades reported

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:44 pm

tflan19 wrote:has anyone heard back from 1L SA non-diversity positions? if so, was it before or after you sent grades. trying to figure out if I should give up on my mass mailing.
A bunch of folks at UT have offers, but they're mostly people with connections or former paralegals. The big wave of interviews started this week.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:45 pm

daisrt wrote:This thread has been so quiet, guessing it has something to do with grade release? How is everyone feeling?
[youtube]CxK_nA2iVXw[/youtube]

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Job Interviewer: "It was great to meet you. Please send us your grades when you get them."
Me: "I will, thank you."
Job Interviewer: *We'll probably fill our position before he gets his grades to us*

Job Application: "Do you have above a 3.0 GPA?"
Me: "Good question." *Save Application*
Job Application: *deadline January 20, 2017*

Job Application: "Are you in the top 50% of the class?"
Job Application: *deadline January 25, 2017*

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:22 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Job Interviewer: "It was great to meet you. Please send us your grades when you get them."
Me: "I will, thank you."
Job Interviewer: *We'll probably fill our position before he gets his grades to us*

Job Application: "Do you have above a 3.0 GPA?"
Job Application: *deadline January 20, 2017*

Job Application: "Are you in the top 50% of the class?"
Job Application: *deadline January 25, 2017*
None of my job applications ask grade specific questions like that. They just request transcripts. Are these firm jobs or PI jobs? Also, when do you guys get your grades? That's nuts that they haven't been released yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:29 pm

daisrt wrote: None of my job applications ask grade specific questions like that. They just request transcripts. Are these firm jobs or PI jobs? Also, when do you guys get your grades? That's nuts that they haven't been released yet.
Everything from firms to in-house to some AG offices and other government positions. There are some PI things that I could apply to, haven't done judges or anything yet, but I'd prefer some of these other positions. I didn't think I'd have to wait this long. Grades were due to the registrar Monday, but with the slacker profs and the "reasonable time" for the registrar to get them back to us, I'm not expecting them until February...

thetravelinglawyer

New

Post by thetravelinglawyer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:30 pm

FWIW I have 1L friends who have had non-diversity offers from Thompson & Knight, Jones Day, Holland & Knight, and Vinson & Elkins (all Texas offices, from a variety of schools from regional up to HYS). None were based on connections. The Jones Day recruiter said she thought they were the first to get started on 1L recruiting this week, so maybe they traditionally start later, but it's definitely in full swing.

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:40 pm

My professors lecture so much more this semester and when they do cold call, they only hit 2-4 people/class. This makes it difficult to pay attention compared to last semester when I knew I would be called on every day in one of my classes.

Anyways, how's the job hunt going for folks?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:45 pm

The Abyss wrote:My professors lecture so much more this semester and when they do cold call, they only hit 2-4 people/class. This makes it difficult to pay attention compared to last semester when I knew I would be called on every day in one of my classes.

Nibbles, no bites yet. I've only applied to firms so far, so I expect it'll be a wait and see/cry sort of ordeal. Now I know why everyone says 1L hiring is a shit show.

Yours?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:53 pm

UVA2B wrote:
The Abyss wrote:My professors lecture so much more this semester and when they do cold call, they only hit 2-4 people/class. This makes it difficult to pay attention compared to last semester when I knew I would be called on every day in one of my classes.

Nibbles, no bites yet. I've only applied to firms so far, so I expect it'll be a wait and see/cry sort of ordeal. Now I know why everyone says 1L hiring is a shit show.

Yours?
Done. Got pretty lucky. Sent a bunch of resumes/cover letters out, got an interview with my top choice, and a week later an offer. I wasn't chasing firm positions though.

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:44 pm

This semester I have a professor who only has 1/4 of the class on call for a given day (so don't have to worry for 3/4 classes), a professor who is going through names alphabetically and won't do more than 5 people in a class, and a professor who has been going through rows. I only have one professor who does legitimate "cold" calls. But honestly I love it. Maybe I'm paying less attention to peripheral details, but it lets me spend more mental power on the main points to take away from each case instead of fretting about minor crap that might get asked about in a cold call.

Got my summer job lined up, USAO, subject to a background check. Very nice to not have to worry about it anymore. Took a little while to hear back for an interview, and another two weeks after that to get the offer. But the weird thing is that this was my #1 pick, and I still haven't heard back from any of the other places I applied to :shock:

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:10 pm

Networking Event + Open Bar + My Birthday = lol I'm fucked.

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:46 am

lymenheimer wrote:Networking Event + Open Bar + My Birthday = lol I'm fucked.
Happy birthday dude!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:28 pm

This thread has really died this semester.

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Job search has gotten the best of me. Also I was feeling kind of burnt (burned?) out at the beginning of the semester. We should revive it though. What are people doing this summer?

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:52 pm

daisrt wrote:Job search has gotten the best of me. Also I was feeling kind of burnt (burned?) out at the beginning of the semester. We should revive it though. What are people doing this summer?
Agree about burnout... And on the quarter system we have finals again in two and a half weeks. :shock: Just got summer settled this past week - judicial internship in my home market. What about you?
Last edited by archipm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:05 pm

archipm wrote:
daisrt wrote:Job search has gotten the best of me. Also I was feeling kind of burnt (burned?) out at the beginning of the semester. We should revive it though. What are people doing this summer?
Agree about burnout... And on the quarter system we have finals again in two and a half weeks. :shock: Just got summer settled this past week - judicial internship in my home market. What about you?
Yeah, focus has gone down hill pretty demonstrably. #struggleisreal

Fortunate to be deciding between a secondary market paying firm offer while waiting for a different tertiary market firm in my preferred area of law. NALP two week guideline may force my hand to the first firm though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:08 am

UVA2B wrote:
archipm wrote:
Yeah, focus has gone down hill pretty demonstrably. #struggleisreal

Fortunate to be deciding between a secondary market paying firm offer while waiting for a different tertiary market firm in my preferred area of law. NALP two week guideline may force my hand to the first firm though.
Congrats to both of you! I'm flying out for a couple firm callbacks this and next week. No offers yet. I'm going to start applying to other positions in case these firm jobs don't come through. I can't believe it's almost March. Also, um, has anyone started outlining yet? Haha

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:08 pm

I just started outlining. Finals in <20 days :cry:
Last edited by archipm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:11 pm

Things I found fun: writing my moot court brief arguments.

Things I don't find fun: everything else about writing a brief.

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:43 pm

daisrt wrote:What are people doing this summer?
Public defender internship in my home market.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”