What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

What laptop are you using for 1L?

MacBook Pro
67
53%
MacBook Air
24
19%
Surface Pro/Book
8
6%
Dell XPS
7
6%
Lenovo Yoga
3
2%
Lenovo Flex
1
1%
Samsung ATIV
0
No votes
ASUS Zenbook
5
4%
Toshiba Chromebook
1
1%
Other- show us what you got!
10
8%
 
Total votes: 126

User avatar
BirdLawExpert
Posts: 3134
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:09 pm

What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby BirdLawExpert » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:38 pm

Figured we could use a new thread to kill time now that we're less than two months out, so what computer are you going to be using for 1L? Copied the poll from a similar thread last year.
Last edited by BirdLawExpert on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

anonymous117
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby anonymous117 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:17 pm

I'll definitely be using a MacBook, but still deciding between Pro and Air...I'm impatiently waiting to see if Apple is going to release new upgraded ones soon because I've heard rumors of such (and last time I bought mine right before that happened).

User avatar
Hildegard15
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby Hildegard15 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:26 pm

anonymous117 wrote:I'll definitely be using a MacBook, but still deciding between Pro and Air...I'm impatiently waiting to see if Apple is going to release new upgraded ones soon because I've heard rumors of such (and last time I bought mine right before that happened).


Same. My MacBook is over 6 years old so I can't really wait for Apple if they don't release the new ones soon. Fingers crossed though!

User avatar
mathis1490
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:01 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby mathis1490 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:30 pm

I'm going to refurbish my old-ish 17" MBP for home use, but just picked up the 12.9" iPad Pro with keyboard for in-class use. Master stroke.

User avatar
gamerish
Posts: 3127
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby gamerish » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:35 pm

MacBook

User avatar
slippin_jimmy
Posts: 1957
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby slippin_jimmy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:26 am

New Macbook eventually. :?

User avatar
Smallville
Posts: 4828
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:57 am

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby Smallville » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:03 am

Hildegard15 wrote:
anonymous117 wrote:I'll definitely be using a MacBook, but still deciding between Pro and Air...I'm impatiently waiting to see if Apple is going to release new upgraded ones soon because I've heard rumors of such (and last time I bought mine right before that happened).


Same. My MacBook is over 6 years old so I can't really wait for Apple if they don't release the new ones soon. Fingers crossed though!

It probably won't be until September when they have their big release so I would wait as long as you can hold out with ur current for the first ~month

Eternalsunshine
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 12:10 am

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby Eternalsunshine » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:20 am

MacBook Pro.

Stupid 0L question - how necessary is a laptop the first few weeks of school? Like another poster, mine is several years old and pretty slow. If it's a must-have, I'll probably have to buy one before school starts.

Nolachicken
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:41 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby Nolachicken » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:50 pm

Can anyone help me pick a laptop? I haven't ever had an apple before, so I don't know if now is a good time to start. What is the best pc brand/computer? Or should I get a MacBook? If the latter, which one should I get?

anonymous117
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby anonymous117 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Nolachicken wrote:Can anyone help me pick a laptop? I haven't ever had an apple before, so I don't know if now is a good time to start. What is the best pc brand/computer? Or should I get a MacBook? If the latter, which one should I get?

It's pretty easy to pick up on a Mac. It's just personal preference to go mac or pc. I would do some research online about the strengths of each, and then if you decide on a Mac, their website lets you compare models, or just go into any Apple Store and the sales people will help you out to figure out which is best for you.

pittsburghpirates
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:38 am

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby pittsburghpirates » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Am I really the only one that got a PC?

User avatar
mukol
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby mukol » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:25 pm

FWIW, my desktop will always be some hackjob of old parts and linux.

I'll always have a secondary laptop that's about 6 years old, running linux, that is perfect for dinking around on the net.

And I'll always have a MB Pro that I use when I need to stay focused and not be tempted to tinker.

#RestInPeaceCrunchbang #BuntuBlows #OpenboxWM

User avatar
theconsigliere
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby theconsigliere » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:48 am

pittsburghpirates wrote:Am I really the only one that got a PC?


I'll be getting a PC. What did you go with?

User avatar
Nachoo2019
Posts: 797
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby Nachoo2019 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:53 am

MacBook Pro FTW

pittsburghpirates
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:38 am

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby pittsburghpirates » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:18 pm

theconsigliere wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:Am I really the only one that got a PC?


I'll be getting a PC. What did you go with?


I got a Dell XPS 15. They had really good reviews from a lot of places and it definitely seems to fit the bill so far. Smaller than a typical 15 inch laptop, pretty light, and seems to have good battery life. Would definitely recommend. What were you thinking about getting?

User avatar
Hildegard15
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby Hildegard15 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Smallville wrote:
Hildegard15 wrote:
Same. My MacBook is over 6 years old so I can't really wait for Apple if they don't release the new ones soon. Fingers crossed though!

It probably won't be until September when they have their big release so I would wait as long as you can hold out with ur current for the first ~month


Booo that's not what I was hoping to hear. :?

User avatar
Smallville
Posts: 4828
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:57 am

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby Smallville » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:17 pm

Hildegard15 wrote:
Smallville wrote:
Hildegard15 wrote:
Same. My MacBook is over 6 years old so I can't really wait for Apple if they don't release the new ones soon. Fingers crossed though!

It probably won't be until September when they have their big release so I would wait as long as you can hold out with ur current for the first ~month


Booo that's not what I was hoping to hear. :?

yeah apple is lame and only releases things twice a year for the most part, most recently was their June conference (I was reallllllyyyyy hoping for Iwatch2 news but nope) which was only software upgrades, then Sept will most likely be all the new physical tech

User avatar
theconsigliere
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby theconsigliere » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:54 pm

pittsburghpirates wrote:
theconsigliere wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:Am I really the only one that got a PC?


I'll be getting a PC. What did you go with?


I got a Dell XPS 15. They had really good reviews from a lot of places and it definitely seems to fit the bill so far. Smaller than a typical 15 inch laptop, pretty light, and seems to have good battery life. Would definitely recommend. What were you thinking about getting?


Can't seem to pull the trigger on anything, but not looking to break the bank

User avatar
mukol
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby mukol » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:19 pm

theconsigliere wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:
theconsigliere wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:Am I really the only one that got a PC?


I'll be getting a PC. What did you go with?


I got a Dell XPS 15. They had really good reviews from a lot of places and it definitely seems to fit the bill so far. Smaller than a typical 15 inch laptop, pretty light, and seems to have good battery life. Would definitely recommend. What were you thinking about getting?


Can't seem to pull the trigger on anything, but not looking to break the bank


Newegg it.

User avatar
skimmilk
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:31 am

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby skimmilk » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:30 pm

I've never owned a mac before, is there any particular reason to get a MacBook pro over just a MacBook?

User avatar
theconsigliere
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby theconsigliere » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:44 am

skimmilk wrote:I've never owned a mac before, is there any particular reason to get a MacBook pro over just a MacBook?


http://www.apple.com/mac/compare/result ... ook-pro-13

MacBook Pro actually starts cheaper

Edit: unless you *need* Retina display in which case the pro is 1299, same as your basic macbook.
Last edited by theconsigliere on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

scandk
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby scandk » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:50 am

theconsigliere wrote:
skimmilk wrote:I've never owned a mac before, is there any particular reason to get a MacBook pro over just a MacBook?


http://www.apple.com/mac/compare/result ... ook-pro-13

MacBook Pro actually starts cheaper


IIRC macbook specs are pretty bad for the price point, although they did upgrade the specs somewhat for the 2016 version. Since the price is similar, if you want specs/power go with the pro, if you want portability/aesthetics go with the macbook.

User avatar
theconsigliere
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby theconsigliere » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Nolachicken wrote:Can anyone help me pick a laptop? I haven't ever had an apple before, so I don't know if now is a good time to start. What is the best pc brand/computer? Or should I get a MacBook? If the latter, which one should I get?


If there's a Best Buy near you, they occasionally do "deal of the day" for MacBooks and they're $200 off. It's not advertised ahead of time and the sale lasts just one day (obviously) but it makes MacBooks reasonably priced. Also imo if you buy a Mac you should get the 13" MacBook Air. $799 if you can get one at Best Buy when on sale

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby PatriotP74 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:09 am

I'm torn between trying to hold out somehow until the new MacBook Pro releases or going with maybe the XPS....

Anyone else trying to not buy a MacBook Pro right before a new release? Lol

User avatar
jnwa
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:35 am

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Postby jnwa » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:19 am

PatriotP74 wrote:I'm torn between trying to hold out somehow until the new MacBook Pro releases or going with maybe the XPS....

Anyone else trying to not buy a MacBook Pro right before a new release? Lol


I'm trying to hold off...I have to get a new phone too so ill be throwing a good chunk of change at Apple come September.


Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest