UC Hastings Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
Unfathomableruckus

Bronze

UC Hastings Class of 2019

Post by Unfathomableruckus » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:33 am

I put my first deposit in last night. Who else is going to Hastings, or leaning towards it?

I've been in the East Bay for many years and will be commuting from Oakland. I am a wealth of knowledge about cheap people things in the area.

I got into Beer on the Beach as an admitted student a few weeks ago. Some current students invited me, and I just showed the guard guy my admittance email and he let me in. (Results may vary) I can confirm that the beer was decent and free.

lordmac69

New

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2019

Post by lordmac69 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:36 pm

Submitted my deposit today! Will be moving up from L.A.

Unfathomableruckus

Bronze

Post by Unfathomableruckus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:16 pm

lordmac69 wrote:Submitted my deposit today! Will be moving up from L.A.
Nice to meet you. What law things are you interested in? What about non-law things? Were you at ASD?

Bronze

Post by 265489164158 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:57 am

Hi! Checking in. I was at the second ASD and am very excited to start this next stage. I have lived in the East Bay most of my life and am about an hour from SF, but plan to move to Oakland in July to be ready to start at Hastings. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Tue May 03, 2016 10:09 am

FYI there is alread a c/o 2019 thread:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=255855

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BottomOfTotem

New

Post by BottomOfTotem » Tue May 03, 2016 10:17 am

Hello Hastings people,

Submitted my first deposit somewhat recently, and looking forward to August.

Have an immediate interest in Health Law, but also am intrigued by IP. As to the latter, I unfortunately don't have a "hard science" degree, so I am not overly optimistic on my chances of a career in that field.

SFSpartan - Although I am quite new to TLS, perhaps it makes sense to have a thread that is independent from the application forum? This way, just those who have decided to attend, and perhaps those who are attending and or are graduates, can speak purely of substantive information that is more pertinent to those who will be matriculating, as compared to those deciding on where to attend. I could be wrong though, as again, I am not sure how this works.

Nice to meet everyone so far.
Last edited by BottomOfTotem on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unfathomableruckus

Bronze

Post by Unfathomableruckus » Tue May 03, 2016 10:21 am

SFSpartan wrote:FYI there is alread a c/o 2019 thread:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=255855
For other schools there seems to be two threads, one in the applicants forum and one in the class of 2019 forum and I was bummed that there was no Hastings one here for students who were already decided, so I made one! Correct me of I'm wrong, but I think this is the way it goes.

Unfathomableruckus

Bronze

Post by Unfathomableruckus » Tue May 03, 2016 10:26 am

Hey nice to meet you too, Bottomoftotem. I'll be commuting too. Where there's a will there's a way, no? I have no experience with health or IP, but I think you can do some of your units at UCSF to break into that a little.

BottomOfTotem

New

Post by BottomOfTotem » Tue May 03, 2016 1:10 pm

Unfathomableruckus wrote:Hey nice to meet you too, Bottomoftotem. I'll be commuting too. Where there's a will there's a way, no? I have no experience with health or IP, but I think you can do some of your units at UCSF to break into that a little.
Yeah I have been commuting about the same distance for undergrad, so I have come to terms with the windshield time.

I heard about that - the consortium I believe.

Has anyone starting to think about prep materials (i.e. LEEWS or GTM?)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronze

Post by 265489164158 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:24 am

Has anyone starting to think about prep materials (i.e. LEEWS or GTM?)?
Yikes. No, not yet. I will wait and see what the profs recommend. I would imagine that they all have their own preferences and suggestions, and I really do not want to spin my wheels or waste $$$.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Wed May 04, 2016 4:37 pm

Unfathomableruckus wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:FYI there is alread a c/o 2019 thread:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=255855
For other schools there seems to be two threads, one in the applicants forum and one in the class of 2019 forum and I was bummed that there was no Hastings one here for students who were already decided, so I made one! Correct me of I'm wrong, but I think this is the way it goes.
Understood - I think we just did it differently when I was applying.

If you guys haven't already, I would encourage you to look at the UCH Students Taking Questions thread, and to get as much info on the school as possible before you start.

BottomOfTotem

New

Post by BottomOfTotem » Thu May 05, 2016 10:57 am

SFSpartan wrote:
Understood - I think we just did it differently when I was applying.

If you guys haven't already, I would encourage you to look at the UCH Students Taking Questions thread, and to get as much info on the school as possible before you start.

Thanks SFSpartan, much appreciated!!

Bronze

Post by 265489164158 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:14 am

Wow, this thread will certainly dampen one's enthusiasm! Nevertheless, I am still really excited about Hastings and what the next three years holds for all of us. After a bit of FB stalking, it looks like a really interesting, talented group of people will by studying the law with us.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Unfathomableruckus

Bronze

Post by Unfathomableruckus » Fri May 13, 2016 10:19 am

I'm also really excited to be in a two block radius from the asylum office, the Guatemalan consulate, and more importantly, Philz Coffee, which I expect to account for roughly half of my student debt. Have you guys tried that stuff?

Unfathomableruckus

Bronze

Post by Unfathomableruckus » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:50 am

Did anyone else on TLS apply for the Tony Patino Fellowship?

lordmac69

New

Post by lordmac69 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:10 pm

I did. It's a long shot for me, but figured it was worth a try.

Unfathomableruckus

Bronze

Post by Unfathomableruckus » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:25 pm

lordmac69 wrote:I did. It's a long shot for me, but figured it was worth a try.
Hey! I was just casually stalking you and I realized you're in Fruitvale. I am also in Fruitvale. We should get tacos sometime if you're still here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lordmac69

New

Post by lordmac69 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:28 pm

Hey! I was just casually stalking you and I realized you're in Fruitvale. I am also in Fruitvale. We should get tacos sometime if you're still here.
Hmm, not sure how that came up, considering I live in Los Angeles. Happy to grab tacos when I move to the Bay in August! :)

Unfathomableruckus

Bronze

Post by Unfathomableruckus » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:32 pm

lordmac69 wrote:
Hmm, not sure how that came up, considering I live in Los Angeles. Happy to grab tacos when I move to the Bay in August! :)
Oh weird. Maybe you were just quoting somebody or something and the formatting tricked me. Oh well. I'm sure there will still be tacos here when you arrive.

Bronze

Post by 265489164158 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:36 am

Just moved to Oakland (near Lake Merritt) on Sunday so I will be able to commute to Hastings. My original plan was to wait and move by 8/1, but now I am really glad to have the time to get settled and adjust. It has been beautiful here! Move to Oakland, my fellow 1Ls...you won't be sorry. Use the cash you save by not living in SF on coffee, tacos and sunscreen. (I think that I am just lobbying for carpool mates, study group, etc, tbh).

Anyway, a little about me: I have two grown children (19 and 22) and have decided to flee the suburbs and my former soccer mom lifestyle (they never played soccer, but you get the idea) to pursue my dream of going to law school. This is my first time living in an urban area and I love seeing all the people out walking, shopping, being. My study skills are not actually rusty, because I am just now finishing my BA, while working full-time. I cannot believe we are less than 8 weeks out. :D

Unfathomableruckus

Bronze

Post by Unfathomableruckus » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:37 am

265489164158 wrote:Just moved to Oakland (near Lake Merritt) on Sunday so I will be able to commute to Hastings. My original plan was to wait and move by 8/1, but now I am really glad to have the time to get settled and adjust. It has been beautiful here! Move to Oakland, my fellow 1Ls...you won't be sorry. Use the cash you save by not living in SF on coffee, tacos and sunscreen. (I think that I am just lobbying for carpool mates, study group, etc, tbh).

Anyway, a little about me: I have two grown children (19 and 22) and have decided to flee the suburbs and my former soccer mom lifestyle (they never played soccer, but you get the idea) to pursue my dream of going to law school. This is my first time living in an urban area and I love seeing all the people out walking, shopping, being. My study skills are not actually rusty, because I am just now finishing my BA, while working full-time. I cannot believe we are less than 8 weeks out. :D
Lake Merritt is beautiful. If you have not checked out the farmers market yet then you should!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lordmac69

New

Post by lordmac69 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:09 pm

Found an apartment a 10 minute walk to school in Lower Nob Hill. Moving in on 8/1, getting excited! :)

calgoldenbear

Bronze

Post by calgoldenbear » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:17 pm

lordmac69 wrote:Found an apartment a 10 minute walk to school in Lower Nob Hill. Moving in on 8/1, getting excited! :)
How much are you paying?

Unfathomableruckus

Bronze

Post by Unfathomableruckus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:51 pm

All of us who are in the bay already should go hang out. The first Friday of the month there is a big street party art walk thing in downtown Oakland if anyone's down to go. We can make secret plans to build the ultimate study group and get the As. And drink beer.

surfco

New

Post by surfco » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:45 pm

Welcome to Hastings! Yes TLS will bash every law school under T9 and they have their reasonable points for sure, but either way welcome to Hastings and what will soon be quite the year of your lives.

I am a current student and am happy to answer questions if you message me here on TLS. Also, I have rooms available at my place in the East Bay so if anyone needs a place to stay for the year, hit me up and we can chat and see if you'd be a good fit. You'll definitely want a quiet space wherever you choose. Personally I recommend not living in the Tower despite its convenience as its nice to be able to step back from the law school environment whenever you need a breather.

All the best to the incoming 1Ls!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”