UF Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Have you started working on your first day assignments yet?

Yes
29%
No
43%
I'll Never Tell!
29%

Total votes: 7

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: UF Law Class of 2019

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:05 pm

__blah wrote:
lawman84 wrote:Since you guys know what sections you're in, I can give you my thoughts on the professors I've had/know of in the coming days. Exciting times!
Contracts Davis
Criminal Law Jacobs
Torts Noah
Intro Lawyering Cohen
Legal Research Outler
Legal Writing Adkins
I don't know anything about Davis, Outler, or Adkins.

Jacobs is really tough. She's an old school professor. Be prepared for that class because she cold calls and will grill you. I've heard that she's awesome after 1L but very tough on 1Ls. However, she's also a very valuable resource if you gain her respect. As I recall, she has a brutally tough closed book final exam.

Noah is a really interesting guy. All my friends who had him liked/loved him. He's ridiculously smart. Like too smart to be a socially competent person. But he doesn't cold call (he takes volunteers but if you don't raise your hand quickly, he just answers his own question) and he apparently is a really good professor. He also has a photographic memory. He'll have the seating chart memorized by the second class. From everything I've heard, he's a very nice guy (but a bit socially awkward). He's apparently very into medical malpractice and does not like intentional torts.

Cohen is a really nice guy.(so nice to the point of almost being a pushover) He doesn't cold call at all. He's an entertaining professor and is easily sidetracked.(which is good in ITL) He also is terrible with names. He's very into diversity and social justice. He really likes the class to interact with him. It's ITL so that should not be too hard. He passes around a sign-up sheet for people to volunteer to be on-call. If you want to do it, go for it. He'll stick with you for most of the class but he won't give you a hard time if you struggle. I didn't have him as a 1L, though.

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:25 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:Since you guys know what sections you're in, I can give you my thoughts on the professors I've had/know of in the coming days. Exciting times!
Con Law - Hernadez-Truyol
Crim Law - Johnston
Intro to Lawyering - Nance
Torts - Stein

Lay it on me my man!
I haven't had Hernandez-Truyol. I know she's very accomplished and well-respected. I've heard good things about her as a person, but I also heard that her final exam was brutal in another class. It was a 2L/3L class so she might go easy on 1Ls.

Johnston is awesome. One of my favorite professors and she'll really go out of her way to help you if you stay on her good side. Don't be late to her class, though. She hates that. She will stop talking and watch you walk to your seat. Honestly, that first month a lot of 1Ls will probably be afraid of her because she's very blunt and cold calls. However, she's a super nice lady and a great professor. She's also extremely entertaining in class. The keys to her class are making sure you write down whether a rule is Model Penal Code (MPC), minority common law, or majority common law. That's what she tests you on. She'll give you a fact pattern and then ask you to answer it under the minority common law view or majority common law view. But the good news is that she gives you a lot of practice tests with model answers. Make sure you take practice tests leading up to the exam and then use the model answer to see how you did. The model answers give great insight into how she likes her answers organized. And make (or use) a well-organized outline because it will help you immensely. Also, I don't recommend volunteering early on (unless it's a really easy one-off question). It'll take some time before you understand what to look for in cases.

Nance is also awesome. I had him for Torts, so I don't know what he's like in ITL but he's extremely adept at teaching. He's more of a teacher than a researcher, which is always good. He's funny in a nerdy way, but it works for him. He cold called in Torts, and it was random. You could get called on any day at any time.(although, he typically went down a row so you saw it coming) Johnston breaks you up into sections, so you can only get cold called on one day a week.(but I recommend reading for class every single day) ITL is kind of a bullshit class. They've been changing it a lot, but people don't take it seriously. The good thing about Nance is that he's entertaining, so it'll make it easier to suffer through ITL. Personally, though, I'd feel slighted that he's not teaching y'all Torts because he's an incredible Torts Professor.

I don't know anything about Stein, unfortunately.

Who do you have for Legal Writing and Legal Research?
Ruff for Writing and TBD for Research.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:27 pm

Sonar80 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
Crim Law - Johnston
Torts - Stein

Lay it on me my man!
I haven't had Hernandez-Truyol. I know she's very accomplished and well-respected. I've heard good things about her as a person, but I also heard that her final exam was brutal in another class. It was a 2L/3L class so she might go easy on 1Ls.

Johnston is awesome. One of my favorite professors and she'll really go out of her way to help you if you stay on her good side. Don't be late to her class, though. She hates that. She will stop talking and watch you walk to your seat. Honestly, that first month a lot of 1Ls will probably be afraid of her because she's very blunt and cold calls. However, she's a super nice lady and a great professor. She's also extremely entertaining in class. The keys to her class are making sure you write down whether a rule is Model Penal Code (MPC), minority common law, or majority common law. That's what she tests you on. She'll give you a fact pattern and then ask you to answer it under the minority common law view or majority common law view. But the good news is that she gives you a lot of practice tests with model answers. Make sure you take practice tests leading up to the exam and then use the model answer to see how you did. The model answers give great insight into how she likes her answers organized. And make (or use) a well-organized outline because it will help you immensely. Also, I don't recommend volunteering early on (unless it's a really easy one-off question). It'll take some time before you understand what to look for in cases.

Nance is also awesome. I had him for Torts, so I don't know what he's like in ITL but he's extremely adept at teaching. He's more of a teacher than a researcher, which is always good. He's funny in a nerdy way, but it works for him. He cold called in Torts, and it was random. You could get called on any day at any time.(although, he typically went down a row so you saw it coming) Johnston breaks you up into sections, so you can only get cold called on one day a week.(but I recommend reading for class every single day) ITL is kind of a bullshit class. They've been changing it a lot, but people don't take it seriously. The good thing about Nance is that he's entertaining, so it'll make it easier to suffer through ITL. Personally, though, I'd feel slighted that he's not teaching y'all Torts because he's an incredible Torts Professor.

Ruff is a good one. Although, the new Dean shafted your class by making a bunch of changes to the Teaching Assistant system.

__blah

New

Post by __blah » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:52 am

lawman84 wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
Crim Law - Johnston
Torts - Stein

Lay it on me my man!

Ruff is a good one. Although, the new Dean shafted your class by making a bunch of changes to the Teaching Assistant system.

What changes did the Dean make to the TA system

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:06 am

__blah wrote:What changes did the Dean make to the TA system
There used to be 10 or so TAs per class, so every group of three or so students had a TA. Plus, TAs were given three credits of As which attracted people who did well in the class and allowed the professor to pick and choose who to bring on. From what I heard, there will only be one or two TAs per class this year and TAs only get three pass/fail credits.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:08 am

lawman84 wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
Crim Law - Johnston
Torts - Stein

Lay it on me my man!

Hey man, thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it!

Kat1021

Bronze

Post by Kat1021 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:08 pm

Know anything about Rush, Harrison, Nunn or Jackson?

Thanks so much!!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Kat1021 wrote:
Know anything about Rush, Harrison, Nunn or Jackson?

Thanks so much!!
I don't know Rush or Jackson.

I will likely be in a Nunn class this semester. I've heard good things about him. Apparently, he sounds just like Samuel L. Jackson. I've heard he's a very entertaining professor.

Harrison is a very unique guy. He's an entertaining professor and a very out there personality. He's like an old stoner...that would be the best way to describe him. Very abstract and can be a bit spacey. But he's funny. Can be hard to follow as a professor at times. But he gives you a lot of opportunities to understand the material. Usually dedicates a day a week to an exam practice question and he gives you a ton of practice exams. He also has a blog where he often criticizes his own profession.

I will say that I'd rather have Zheng. He's not as entertaining as Harrison but he's very easy to follow. He puts everything on powerpoint slides and posts them on line. Great teacher. Very nice guy. Doesn't like to cold call. Harrison doesn't really cold call either. He's a nice guy. But he's not as clear as Zheng is with the material. But both are quality professors.

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:34 pm

Hey, lawman!

Could you give your thoughts on Ray (legal writing) and Le (legal research)?

Thank you for taking the time to do this! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:56 pm

evanesco wrote:
Hey, lawman!

My knowledge of writing and research professors is pretty limited. I don't know either of them.

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:44 pm

evanesco wrote:
Hey, lawman!

WELCOME TO THE THUNDERDOME!!!

WJD18

New

Post by WJD18 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:49 pm

Much love to all my 3A friends!

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:51 pm

Sonar80 wrote:
evanesco wrote:
Hey, lawman!

I found a perfect gif reaction then I remembered that I couldn't post it! NOOOOOOO :cry:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:53 pm

evanesco wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
evanesco wrote:
Hey, lawman!

I found a perfect gif reaction then I remembered that I couldn't post it! NOOOOOOO :cry:
That's the worst!

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:54 pm

Sonar80 wrote:
evanesco wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
That's the worst!
We need a new lounge game or the senioritis thread needs to make a comeback so my post count can get back up!

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:16 pm

evanesco wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
evanesco wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
That's the worst!
We need a new lounge game or the senioritis thread needs to make a comeback so my post count can get back up!
How many do you need to posts gifs?

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:17 pm

Sonar80 wrote:
evanesco wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
evanesco wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
That's the worst!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:29 pm

evanesco wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
evanesco wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
evanesco wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
That's the worst!
Oh damn, you're almost 10% there!!

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:33 pm

Sonar80 wrote: Oh damn, you're almost 10% there!!
Lol, so close but so far away! This is just painful

GatorToLS

New

Post by GatorToLS » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Sonar80 wrote: EDIT: The previous owner of this thread has relinquished it over to me, I have tried to faithfully recreate what was masterfully created originally.
Le roi est mort, vive le roi!

__blah

New

Post by __blah » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Does anyone know about using financial aid to purchase books?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

josh9308

New

Post by josh9308 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:31 pm

If you guys don't mind (you could PM me as well), what were your guys' LSAT score and GPA + how much scholly money did you guys receive? May be interested down the road.

Thanks! Go Gata.

medtolaw

New

Post by medtolaw » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:46 am

Wow so much activity over the past few days! I just got back to FL after an 1800 mile drive! Looks like I'm in Section 2 with some of you guys :)

GatorToLS

New

Post by GatorToLS » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:38 am

__blah wrote:Does anyone know about using financial aid to purchase books?
I don't know about financial aid, but how are you planning to purchase books? I don't know if it's like undergrad (where online is better than onsite) or if it's worth renting.

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:29 am

medtolaw wrote:Wow so much activity over the past few days! I just got back to FL after an 1800 mile drive! Looks like I'm in Section 2 with some of you guys :)
Woo! :D

2 A or B? And which legal research/writing group?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”