UF Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Have you started working on your first day assignments yet?

Yes
29%
No
43%
I'll Never Tell!
29%

Total votes: 7

Sonar80

Bronze

Re: UF Law Class of 2019

Post by Sonar80 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:13 pm

__blah wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
__blah wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
__blah wrote:For the people who received scholarships, is the dollar amount you were award exact on the schools financial aid awards and disbursement page ?
Im only asking because mines is short a few hundred dollars, not a big deal just curious if they did it to everyone or is it a mistake.
The dollar amount was exact on the financial aid awards page. After some math, based on the idea that we have 16 credit hours, I'm also a few hundo short.

did tuition go down by a few hundreds?
Not by my calculations, which have been known to be wrong. I have been out of town for a few days, I will put some more time and energy into figuring out it tomorrow.

I spoke with financial aid and the original scholarship amount was based on what the school thought tuition would be raised to. Tuition was not raised so scholarship amounts will be adjusted to the price of tuition for everyone. Financial aid has not gotten to everyone yet but they will. They will also be adjusting grad plus loans as well.
Hey man, thanks for saving me some time and energy on that. I hadn't got to it, but I was just opening this page to have a look. I now owe you a beer.

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:34 pm

This time next week we'll be at orientation :shock:

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:24 am

evanesco wrote:This time next week we'll be at orientation :shock:
And you'll be wishing it was summer again. :lol:

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:05 am

Make sure to check your schedules again, I've now caught several changes to the schedule since I initially posted the excel sheet. Someone in my section just caught ANOTHER schedule change a week and a half out from classes starting.

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:12 am

Sonar80 wrote:Make sure to check your schedules again, I've now caught several changes to the schedule since I initially posted the excel sheet. Someone in my section just caught ANOTHER schedule change a week and a half out from classes starting.
Doing the lord's work, sonar

Note: looks like 2A is the same for anyone in that section (if I'm wrong, let me know please! Didn't check room numbers though)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:20 am

evanesco wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:Make sure to check your schedules again, I've now caught several changes to the schedule since I initially posted the excel sheet. Someone in my section just caught ANOTHER schedule change a week and a half out from classes starting.

Note: looks like 2A is the same for anyone in that section (if I'm wrong, let me know please! Didn't check room numbers though)
I'm really curious when/if there is a final cutoff date. Like, "ok guys, this is the LAST day you can change anything." Although, I suppose that until the last day, they don't really expect you to care. I guess that's alright for people who don't have to make plans. =(

Kat1021

Bronze

Post by Kat1021 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:57 am

evanesco wrote:

No room number changes :)

__blah

New

Post by __blah » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Where can I download word/excel/powerpoint for free

Kat1021

Bronze

Post by Kat1021 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:17 pm

__blah wrote:Where can I download word/excel/powerpoint for free
I think I downloaded it through Outlook, when I signed into my UF email.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:22 pm

Kat1021 wrote:
http://www.it.ufl.edu/gatorcloud/free-s ... 5-proplus/

Here's a link to put the programs on your computer.

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:42 am

lawman84 wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:Since you guys know what sections you're in, I can give you my thoughts on the professors I've had/know of in the coming days. Exciting times!
Con Law - Hernadez-Truyol
Crim Law - Johnston
Intro to Lawyering - Nance
Torts - Stein

Lay it on me my man!
I haven't had Hernandez-Truyol. I know she's very accomplished and well-respected. I've heard good things about her as a person, but I also heard that her final exam was brutal in another class. It was a 2L/3L class so she might go easy on 1Ls.

Johnston is awesome. One of my favorite professors and she'll really go out of her way to help you if you stay on her good side. Don't be late to her class, though. She hates that. She will stop talking and watch you walk to your seat. Honestly, that first month a lot of 1Ls will probably be afraid of her because she's very blunt and cold calls. However, she's a super nice lady and a great professor. She's also extremely entertaining in class. The keys to her class are making sure you write down whether a rule is Model Penal Code (MPC), minority common law, or majority common law. That's what she tests you on. She'll give you a fact pattern and then ask you to answer it under the minority common law view or majority common law view. But the good news is that she gives you a lot of practice tests with model answers. Make sure you take practice tests leading up to the exam and then use the model answer to see how you did. The model answers give great insight into how she likes her answers organized. And make (or use) a well-organized outline because it will help you immensely. Also, I don't recommend volunteering early on (unless it's a really easy one-off question). It'll take some time before you understand what to look for in cases.

Nance is also awesome. I had him for Torts, so I don't know what he's like in ITL but he's extremely adept at teaching. He's more of a teacher than a researcher, which is always good. He's funny in a nerdy way, but it works for him. He cold called in Torts, and it was random. You could get called on any day at any time.(although, he typically went down a row so you saw it coming) Johnston breaks you up into sections, so you can only get cold called on one day a week.(but I recommend reading for class every single day) ITL is kind of a bullshit class. They've been changing it a lot, but people don't take it seriously. The good thing about Nance is that he's entertaining, so it'll make it easier to suffer through ITL. Personally, though, I'd feel slighted that he's not teaching y'all Torts because he's an incredible Torts Professor.

I don't know anything about Stein, unfortunately.

Who do you have for Legal Writing and Legal Research?
This was TBD, but they've determined, thus the delay in my response: Legal Research is a professor named Mathapo?

__blah

New

Post by __blah » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Sonar80 wrote:
Kat1021 wrote:
http://www.it.ufl.edu/gatorcloud/free-s ... 5-proplus/

Here's a link to put the programs on your computer.

Thank you

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Sonar80 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:Since you guys know what sections you're in, I can give you my thoughts on the professors I've had/know of in the coming days. Exciting times!
Crim Law - Johnston
Torts - Stein

Lay it on me my man!
I haven't had Hernandez-Truyol. I know she's very accomplished and well-respected. I've heard good things about her as a person, but I also heard that her final exam was brutal in another class. It was a 2L/3L class so she might go easy on 1Ls.

Johnston is awesome. One of my favorite professors and she'll really go out of her way to help you if you stay on her good side. Don't be late to her class, though. She hates that. She will stop talking and watch you walk to your seat. Honestly, that first month a lot of 1Ls will probably be afraid of her because she's very blunt and cold calls. However, she's a super nice lady and a great professor. She's also extremely entertaining in class. The keys to her class are making sure you write down whether a rule is Model Penal Code (MPC), minority common law, or majority common law. That's what she tests you on. She'll give you a fact pattern and then ask you to answer it under the minority common law view or majority common law view. But the good news is that she gives you a lot of practice tests with model answers. Make sure you take practice tests leading up to the exam and then use the model answer to see how you did. The model answers give great insight into how she likes her answers organized. And make (or use) a well-organized outline because it will help you immensely. Also, I don't recommend volunteering early on (unless it's a really easy one-off question). It'll take some time before you understand what to look for in cases.

Nance is also awesome. I had him for Torts, so I don't know what he's like in ITL but he's extremely adept at teaching. He's more of a teacher than a researcher, which is always good. He's funny in a nerdy way, but it works for him. He cold called in Torts, and it was random. You could get called on any day at any time.(although, he typically went down a row so you saw it coming) Johnston breaks you up into sections, so you can only get cold called on one day a week.(but I recommend reading for class every single day) ITL is kind of a bullshit class. They've been changing it a lot, but people don't take it seriously. The good thing about Nance is that he's entertaining, so it'll make it easier to suffer through ITL. Personally, though, I'd feel slighted that he's not teaching y'all Torts because he's an incredible Torts Professor.

This was TBD, but they've determined, thus the delay in my response: Legal Research is a professor named Mathapo?
Probably new. The Legal Research professor I had left for a better job. She was amazing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:52 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
Crim Law - Johnston
Torts - Stein

Lay it on me my man!

Probably new. The Legal Research professor I had left for a better job. She was amazing.
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:54 pm

No problem. When does ILSP start for y'all?

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:59 pm

lawman84 wrote:No problem. When does ILSP start for y'all?
Tuesday! 8/9

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:09 pm

evanesco wrote:
Tuesday! 8/9
Good luck. There will be a lot of people giving you advice. Just remember through all of it that you are your own person. Trust yourself. Apply the advice that works for you. Ignore the advice that doesn't.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:27 pm

lawman84 wrote:
evanesco wrote:
Tuesday! 8/9
Good luck. There will be a lot of people giving you advice. Just remember through all of it that you are your own person. Trust yourself. Apply the advice that works for you. Ignore the advice that doesn't.
Thank you, lawman! And thanks for answering all of our questions throughout this process. We really appreciate it! :D

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:55 am

One more day. ONE MORE DAY!!!

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:29 am

Sonar80 wrote:One more day. ONE MORE DAY!!!
IS THIS REAL LIFE?! How is it time?!?!

__blah

New

Post by __blah » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:30 pm

evanesco wrote:

Are you guys gonna be there for 7:30 seems way too early

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:33 pm

__blah wrote:
evanesco wrote:

Haven't really decided yet. I was thinking of getting there around 8?

Kat1021

Bronze

Post by Kat1021 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:08 pm

evanesco wrote:
__blah wrote:
evanesco wrote:

Haven't really decided yet. I was thinking of getting there around 8?
ditto. Planning to leave my apartment at 7:45. Is tomorrow a real breakfast or a flimsy continental breakfast?

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:24 pm

Kat1021 wrote: ditto. Planning to leave my apartment at 7:45. Is tomorrow a real breakfast or a flimsy continental breakfast?
Hmmm, excellent question. It just says breakfast tomorrow so maybe it will be a real breakfast to lure us in.

Kat1021

Bronze

Post by Kat1021 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:19 pm

evanesco wrote:
Kat1021 wrote: ditto. Planning to leave my apartment at 7:45. Is tomorrow a real breakfast or a flimsy continental breakfast?
Hmmm, excellent question. It just says breakfast tomorrow so maybe it will be a real breakfast to lure us in.
It's an important question, y'all won't like me if when I get hungry LOL

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”