Kentucky Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
raven1231

Bronze

Re: Kentucky Class of 2019

Post by raven1231 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:44 pm

Last edited by raven1231 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

LadyProspero

Bronze

Post by LadyProspero » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Last edited by LadyProspero on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raven1231

Bronze

Post by raven1231 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:22 pm

Hey man I don't blame you honestly. The dean had me so upset that I almost stopped considering UC altogether.

I hear you though, WUSTL is a great school but that would be a lot of money without any scholarship money, being out of state, and living expenses. Northwestern would be great as well, and was actually my original "dream" school (my fiancé and I even visited there when she was originally planning to move with me). I never applied though because I was trying to stay close to home, but now looking back on it that wouldn't have been much further than Cleveland. I really wish I would have applied, although I doubt I would have gotten much if any scholarship money either. I really wish I would have applied to Notre Dame earlier too. They would have been close enough but still an overall solid option. I'm still "to be reviewed" on their site, and doubt I'll even get my application looked at.

I don't really know where I'll end up going. The money is saying UC but I know that's really only because I live 20 minutes away. Although now the dean almost has me not wanting to go at all, even though I know that's not a good reason to not go. OSU would be nice but even with the increase scholarship putting me at 30k total tuition I'd still be looking at 60-90k after living expenses and such. Which is even harder to consider when their placement is basically the same as UC's. IU would be good because they place all over and definitely have more national reach but their employment statistics are once again the same as UC's, so I'd really only be getting the name recognition if I moved. Not to mention UC has better Government placement than either of those schools which is what I want to do, and IU would leave me in over 100k in debt...

Honestly, I really screwed myself not giving myself enough time to prep for the LSAT and only applying locally. Even acceptance from other non local schools would have helped with negotiating (not with UC though since they don't actually negotiate). Which brings up another point, I would let them know that tuition for me would now be the same at OSU as UC but he would just say UC is better or some BS anyway...

I really have no idea, hopefully I'll know more this weekend.

LadyProspero

Bronze

Post by LadyProspero » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:52 pm

Last edited by LadyProspero on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyProspero

Bronze

Post by LadyProspero » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:55 pm

Last edited by LadyProspero on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

raven1231

Bronze

Post by raven1231 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:33 pm

LadyProspero wrote:
raven1231 wrote:Hey man I don't blame you honestly. The dean had me so upset that I almost stopped considering UC altogether.

I hear you though, WUSTL is a great school but that would be a lot of money without any scholarship money, being out of state, and living expenses. Northwestern would be great as well, and was actually my original "dream" school (my fiancé and I even visited there when she was originally planning to move with me). I never applied though because I was trying to stay close to home, but now looking back on it that wouldn't have been much further than Cleveland. I really wish I would have applied, although I doubt I would have gotten much if any scholarship money either. I really wish I would have applied to Notre Dame earlier too. They would have been close enough but still an overall solid option. I'm still "to be reviewed" on their site, and doubt I'll even get my application looked at.

I don't really know where I'll end up going. The money is saying UC but I know that's really only because I live 20 minutes away. Although now the dean almost has me not wanting to go at all, even though I know that's not a good reason to not go. OSU would be nice but even with the increase scholarship putting me at 30k total tuition I'd still be looking at 60-90k after living expenses and such. Which is even harder to consider when their placement is basically the same as UC's. IU would be good because they place all over and definitely have more national reach but their employment statistics are once again the same as UC's, so I'd really only be getting the name recognition if I moved. Not to mention UC has better Government placement than either of those schools which is what I want to do, and IU would leave me in over 100k in debt...

Honestly, I really screwed myself not giving myself enough time to prep for the LSAT and only applying locally. Even acceptance from other non local schools would have helped with negotiating (not with UC though since they don't actually negotiate). Which brings up another point, I would let them know that tuition for me would now be the same at OSU as UC but he would just say UC is better or some BS anyway...

I really have no idea, hopefully I'll know more this weekend.
Haha I'm a chick. Unsure if by saying "man" that means man. Lol. But anyway.

Why not retake/reapply? I'm considering it myself. One year isn't much in the grand scheme of things, even though it seems like it now. I wanted to KJD, now Im in my third year off. If I take another that will be 4 lol. It's a thought. I also didn't give the LSAT the time it needed. I'm a "wing it" and "cram it all in a week" person. I took full length powerscore course twice, but never did the homework, bc... slacker... lol :(
I've considered it, and depending on what happens with the ATF I might. I don't know, I never even took an actual prep course, just bough the Kaplan Book. It would probably be worth it. And I was looking at LST today actually comparing the job data between the schools. Thanks for the suggestion though, also sorry about the "man" thing it's habit ha ha.

LadyProspero

Bronze

Post by LadyProspero » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Last edited by LadyProspero on Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spenceast

New

Post by spenceast » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:56 am

[redacted]
Last edited by spenceast on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

atticus16

New

Post by atticus16 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:51 am

spenceast wrote:I'll be attending Kentucky this fall!

Excited to move out there (I'm from Utah). Looking for places to live now. Granted, I'm only checking them out right now via websites and such, so if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.
Check Lexington Criagslist, or offcampushousing.uky.edu. Parking is terrible at UK. Off campus students usually park at the football stadium which is ~1 mile away from the law school unless you get an apartment within walking distance. There is a shuttle to take you to class which is nice. I would recommend checking out Red Mile Village, The LEX, University Village. All relatively close to campus and the shuttle makes stops there so you don't have to walk to class. There are plenty of options in Lexington. Rates near campus range from 500-650/ mo. for a decent place, much higher for 1 BR nearest campus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

raven1231

Bronze

Post by raven1231 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:19 pm

atticus16 wrote:

Excited to move out there (I'm from Utah). Looking for places to live now. Granted, I'm only checking them out right now via websites and such, so if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.
Check Lexington Criagslist, or offcampushousing.uky.edu. Parking is terrible at UK. Off campus students usually park at the football stadium which is ~1 mile away from the law school unless you get an apartment within walking distance. There is a shuttle to take you to class which is nice. I would recommend checking out Red Mile Village, The LEX, University Village. All relatively close to campus and the shuttle makes stops there so you don't have to walk to class. There are plenty of options in Lexington. Rates near campus range from 500-650/ mo. for a decent place, much higher for 1 BR nearest campus.
I agree parking is terrible, and I can't understand for the life of me why there is literally like only one garage that can be used for non pass holders.

spenceast

New

Post by spenceast » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:21 pm

[redacted]
Last edited by spenceast on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

SCThunder7

New

Post by SCThunder7 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:30 am

atticus16 wrote:

Hey, sorry to hijack this convo, but are you (or anyone else) familiar with The LEX at all? I'll be coming from Out of state, and I don't know if I'll be able to make another trip up before August. I'm thinking of signing a 2 bedroom online at The LEX, but I'm worried that it's going to be really loud. I had an awful experience during undergrad with roommates that partied Tuesday-Sunday, and it wasn't uncommon to be evacuating the apartments at 3am because of people smoking and setting off fire alarms, or big parties getting busted, etc (at least a few times a month). I really don't wanna be dealing with that in law school! From what I read online about the apartments, it doesn't seem like it'll be that bad, but I'm curious to see opinions from others who know the area/apartment better.
Last edited by SCThunder7 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

spenceast

New

Post by spenceast » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:21 pm

[redacted]
Last edited by spenceast on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

atticus16

New

Post by atticus16 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:56 am

I have been to the LEX before. Nice facilities but I'm not sure about the party scene. There are several undergraduates living there so I assume that there will be some partying. Not sure if the noise and atmosphere will be too much or not. I found some graduate housing on UK's website when I was looking for my place: http://www.uky.edu/housing/graduate-fam ... nt-housing is the website. Best bet is to find a place predominately housing graduate level students. I'm living with 3 pharmacy students in a stand alone house, but I knew them from undergrad which made the process easier for me. There are complexes around the pharmacy/med school that house mostly graduates. I'd call the landlord when inquiring to find out the resident demographic specifics. You can also call UK law admissions and ask where most students live.

atticus16

New

Post by atticus16 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:32 am

Anyone heard about a schedule/FB group/anything?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”