Emory Law c/o 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

How certain is your decision to attend Emory Law as part of the 2019 graduating class?

100% - It's my top choice
22%
75% - Probably Emory, but I am still waiting to hear from some other schools regarding acceptance or scholarship that could change my mind.
19%
50% - I have other offers that I am seriously considering, though I am very interested in Emory.
25%
25% - I am very unsure about Emory, but I am considering it.
11%
10% - I would like to consider Emory, but I have not yet been accepted.
6%
0% - I have definitely decided to attend another school, I was rejected, or I am not applying during this cycle.
17%

Total votes: 36

njkga

Bronze

Emory Law c/o 2019

Post by njkga » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Welcome to the Emory Law community!

Important Dates:

April 1 6:00pm - Admitted Student Day friday night mixer @ Emory Conference Center
April 2 - Admitted Student Day
(Book your complementary accommodations @ https://resweb.passkey.com/Resweb.do?mo ... D=14534417)
April 15 - First Deposit Deadline
June 1 - Second Deposit Deadline

Class of 2019 Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1652872224994445/

New Student Checklist: (From Emory Law Website)
1. Final Transcript. The American Bar Association requires Emory Law to receive a final transcript indicating the date of your undergraduate degree conferral. If LSAC does not have this final transcript in your Credential Assembly Service (CAS) report, please have your final transcript sent to Emory Law’s Office of Admission, 1301 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30322.

2. Health Forms and Insurance Requirements. Complete all required student health information and health forms online with Emory University's online Health Services Portal »

3. Review our Laptop and Computer Recommendations. Emory Law students are required to own a computer. We recommend that you invest in a new notebook computer from a reputable manufacturer with a three-year warranty. Try to purchase a notebook computer that balances light weight and long battery life. Most exams are taken on computer and most faculty members permit students to take notes on computer in class. The law school supports both Mac and Windows systems. The University provides anti-virus software and the University plans to provide Microsoft Office365 to students beginning in Fall, 2014. Barnes and Noble at Emory offers an excellent bundle package for students' technological needs. Learn more »

4. Complete the Haven Online Education Module. All incoming Emory University students are required to complete the Haven online education module. Review the Haven FAQs» This module will provide you with information on preventing and responding to interpersonal violence in the Emory community. It takes approximately 30 minutes to complete (closed captioning is available for video portions). More information regarding the Haven Online Education Module will be available in spring 2016.

5. Set Up Your Network ID and Password. Your NetID allows you to access OPUS (Online Pathway to University Students) » Set up your Network ID here »

6. Log In to OPUS (Online Pathway to University Students), your portal to student accounts, the registrar, and many other services at Emory. Explore OPUS and get familiar with the resources you will use as an Emory Law student. Submit a help request if you cannot log in or access OPUS. Include your first and last name and your Emory Net ID. DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR PASSWORD.

7. Create an Emory Email Account » We will activate your Emory e-mail account in early July. You will then access your account using the same NetID and password that you use for OPUS access. Your email address is your NETID(at)emory.edu. If you attended Emory as an undergraduate student, your default Emory account is your Exchange account. Forward messages from Learnlink or EagleMail to your new Exchange account.

8. Upload Your Photo for Your EmoryCard (Student ID) » The EmoryCard is the official ID Card of Emory University. It permits access to facilities and events and can be used to purchase goods and services at the university and at a wide range of merchants throughout the community. The image you upload must be on a white or solid neutral background. More information regarding your EmoryCard will be available in spring 2016.

9. Register for On-Campus Parking. Online registration will open in summer 2016. Review campus parking options at http://parking.emory.edu »

Information effective as of January 19, 2016.
Last edited by njkga on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheProdigal

Silver

Re: Emory Law c/o 2019

Post by TheProdigal » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:51 pm

Cool, cool.

And here's the link to the FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1652872224994445/

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:33 pm

TheProdigal wrote:Cool, cool.

And here's the link to the FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1652872224994445/
Thanks, I added that to my post :)

darkchildnana

Bronze

Post by darkchildnana » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:37 pm

checking in! I'll be at ASD on saturday :)

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:56 am

ssitt wrote:checking in! I'll be at ASD on saturday :)
Hype!

See you there! I'll be the old guy :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post by SirArthurDayne » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:33 am

Has anyone been accepted and not received a scholly offer?

LandMermaid

Bronze

Post by LandMermaid » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:52 pm

I'll also be there this weekend! can't wait!

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:19 pm

njkga wrote:
ssitt wrote:checking in! I'll be at ASD on saturday :)
Hype!

See you there! I'll be the old guy :)
One of us! One of us!

Dexter97

Bronze

Post by Dexter97 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:33 pm

Everyone enjoy ASW!? The events on Friday were great and there was a lot of useful information today. Professor Freer is the man :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:02 am

Dexter97 wrote:Everyone enjoy ASW!? The events on Friday were great and there was a lot of useful information today. Professor Freer is the man :wink:
Had a great time. I'm not sure that continental breakfast under the trees in front of the church was such a great idea though. Had little bits of tree falling all over my pastries and in my coffee. :lol:

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:38 am

njkga wrote:
Dexter97 wrote:Everyone enjoy ASW!? The events on Friday were great and there was a lot of useful information today. Professor Freer is the man :wink:
Had a great time. I'm not sure that continental breakfast under the trees in front of the church was such a great idea though. Had little bits of tree falling all over my pastries and in my coffee. :lol:
A soupçon of pollen tends to add a flavorful touch of local charm to most foods. And provides an excellent opportunity to draw on cars.

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:03 am

I've paid my deposit! I'm very excited about attending Emory this fall, and after visiting day plus the new employment statistics, I'm more certain than ever that Emory is the right choice for me. Having already lived in the Atlanta area for a few years now, and knowing that I want to stay here, I think Emory is a no-brainer for me.

How is everyone else's decision process coming along?

kriegsinnervoice

New

Post by kriegsinnervoice » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:25 am

njkga wrote:I've paid my deposit! I'm very excited about attending Emory this fall, and after visiting day plus the new employment statistics, I'm more certain than ever that Emory is the right choice for me. Having already lived in the Atlanta area for a few years now, and knowing that I want to stay here, I think Emory is a no-brainer for me.

How is everyone else's decision process coming along?
Also just made my first deposit! Sort of still waiting to see what happens on Vandy's waitlist but pretty sure I'll be attending Emory either way! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LandMermaid

Bronze

Post by LandMermaid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:05 am

Paid my deposit! Was kinda torn but the improved numbers convinced me. Super excited!

Bueller

New

Post by Bueller » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:15 pm

LurkSoHard

Gold

Post by LurkSoHard » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:50 am

Just checking in to say I'm definitely going here.

Also, what's up mermaid? Haha

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:38 am

LandMermaid wrote:Paid my deposit! Was kinda torn but the improved numbers convinced me. Super excited!
I think I was already 100% decided, but those numbers sure made the decision that much more comfortable. I'm from ATL already, and want to stay here to practice afterwards, so Emory was a no brainer for me.

Hype!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LurkSoHard

Gold

Post by LurkSoHard » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:26 pm

njkga wrote:
LandMermaid wrote:Paid my deposit! Was kinda torn but the improved numbers convinced me. Super excited!
I think I was already 100% decided, but those numbers sure made the decision that much more comfortable. I'm from ATL already, and want to stay here to practice afterwards, so Emory was a no brainer for me.

Hype!
What improved numbers are you guy's referring to?

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:27 pm

LurkSoHard wrote:
njkga wrote:

Hype!
Jobs numbers are up and school-funded way down.

LurkSoHard

Gold

Post by LurkSoHard » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:44 pm

TheProdigal wrote:
LurkSoHard wrote:
njkga wrote:

Hype!
Where can I find these improved numbers? The Law School Transparency page hasn't changed! Thanks for the help!

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:58 pm

LurkSoHard wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:
LurkSoHard wrote:
njkga wrote:

Hype!
Where can I find these improved numbers? The Law School Transparency page hasn't changed! Thanks for the help!
By now, all schools have been required to post their most recent employment reports on their websites, the Class of 2015 Employment Statistics by School: #TrustTheProcess thread has reports from people searching them out and posting -- I put together the below chart from the reported data (from the reports themselves, not what people claimed. It has been reviewed by other posters, this is the most updated version). Apologies for the (potentially) small font.

From the applicant thread:
TheProdigal wrote: 2015 2014 Notes:
Fed Clerk 3.90% 2.99% Total increased from 8 to 12
Biglaw (100+) 25.97% 26.12% Total increased from 70 to 80

Holding back improvement on numbers is the increase in graduating class size from 268 to 308. Considering last year the median GPA from transfers in was 3.3 (Emory's own median), we can assume the 2L transfers don't tend to end up competing for biglaw or fed clerk positions -- if we were to reduce the class size back to 268 in the calculations, we're left with a nearly 30% biglaw and 4.5% fed clerk. A case could be made that these percentages better reflect the outcomes for those admitted as 1Ls. Admittedly, I don't have the transfer data from that class, so numbers are incredibly rough estimates. Emory admitted 234 for the class of 2018, and 223 for the class of 2017. 14 transferred out, and 51 transferred in last year. I'm hestitantly optimistic in ~270 being a decent baseline for outcomes.

The drop in school-funded jobs to 12% puts Emory at or below the numbers reported by UC-Irvine, George Washington, Notre Dame, USC, Vanderbilt, and Georgetown for the class of 2014. For the class of 2015, UCI increased to 18%, GWU fell to 8%, and the others haven't updated yet.

Edit: Big issue, as I see it, top-line read of graduates with FT/LT JD-Required jobs fell to 75.32% vs. last year's 82.5%.

The good news is this year's number doesn't include any school-funded, and last year's had 19.4%. Marked improvement from 63.1% to 75.32%, but the top-line number looks a bit worse. I'm extremely happy with this report.
And regarding school-funded jobs, Georgetown is now higher than Emory. :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rachellewrx

New

Post by rachellewrx » Fri May 20, 2016 9:47 am

Did anyone who visited the campus notice if we had a locker in the building, by any chance? I don't feel like carrying loads of books with me all day.

Thanks in advance.

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Fri May 20, 2016 9:49 am

:lol:
rachellewrx wrote:Did anyone who visited the campus notice if we had a locker in the building, by any chance? I don't feel like carrying loads of books with me all day.

Thanks in advance.
Yeah. They are right by the classrooms in the main floor.

rachellewrx

New

Post by rachellewrx » Fri May 20, 2016 9:55 am

TheProdigal wrote::lol:
rachellewrx wrote:Did anyone who visited the campus notice if we had a locker in the building, by any chance? I don't feel like carrying loads of books with me all day.

Thanks in advance.
Yeah. They are right by the classrooms in the main floor.
Excellent. Thank you very much.

ChrisGT

New

Post by ChrisGT » Fri May 20, 2016 10:11 am

Is anybody else also on the waitlist? If so, what are you thinking our chances are?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”