USC Law Class of '19 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Are you going to Law Day?

Yes
38%
No
38%
Double Yes
24%

Total votes: 21

yayooyay

New

Re: USC Law Class of '19

Post by yayooyay » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:26 pm

Checking in :) visited campus recently and loved it.

What's the general consensus about no double depositing to keep scholarships? I've read some posts saying that schools have no way of knowing until around May-ish, when LSAC sends out that multi-depositers report. Seems a bit risky to me, but I'm still not done negotiating $$ yet and the deadline is coming up awfully soon...

kitkat12

New

Post by kitkat12 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:54 pm

Went for the admit tour day today and had a great time! Met lots of really friendly people and the overall vibe of the school definitely won me over. At this point it looks like I'm probably going to be a Trojan :lol:

JanetYellen

New

Post by JanetYellen » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:04 am

Hello all! Congrats on your admission. I am a former UCLA Bruin and a current Red-Blooded Trojan 1L at the law school. If any one of you have questions about the law school, Los Angeles in general, or anything else at all, just let me know.

Fight on!

rhapsodelly

New

Post by rhapsodelly » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:51 pm

Attending law day and the diversity event, looking forward to meeting everyone! :D

gtrs09

New

Post by gtrs09 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:19 pm

Can any current students comment on Terrace housing? I am from out of state and wasn't able to see it. We did drive past it but couldn't get a tour. It feels a little strange not being able to see the inside before leasing. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

averagewhiteguy

New

Post by averagewhiteguy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:06 pm

gtrs09 wrote:Can any current students comment on Terrace housing? I am from out of state and wasn't able to see it. We did drive past it but couldn't get a tour. It feels a little strange not being able to see the inside before leasing. Thanks!
1L here. I enjoy living in Terrace. Comes with everything you would need to survive; Fridge, Stove, Oven, Furniture (couch, chair, kitchen table, desk, desk chair, full bed, dresser, nightstand, lamp, central A/C). It is also relatively close to Law School 20-30 minute walk.

Area is very safe. At night there is a security guard posted on every block and the area is full of students most of the time.

Also you are going to be hard pressed to beat that rate for a furnished apartment around USC.

Here is a link to the website which has some pictures too. http://housing.usc.edu/index.php/buildings/terrace/

rdreiley1

New

Post by rdreiley1 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Checking in, and other excited sentiment

Next step, panic about housing! Woohoo!

LetsGoNow

New

Post by LetsGoNow » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:15 pm

averagewhiteguy wrote:
gtrs09 wrote:Can any current students comment on Terrace housing? I am from out of state and wasn't able to see it. We did drive past it but couldn't get a tour. It feels a little strange not being able to see the inside before leasing. Thanks!
1L here. I enjoy living in Terrace. Comes with everything you would need to survive; Fridge, Stove, Oven, Furniture (couch, chair, kitchen table, desk, desk chair, full bed, dresser, nightstand, lamp, central A/C). It is also relatively close to Law School 20-30 minute walk.

Area is very safe. At night there is a security guard posted on every block and the area is full of students most of the time.

Also you are going to be hard pressed to beat that rate for a furnished apartment around USC.

Here is a link to the website which has some pictures too. http://housing.usc.edu/index.php/buildings/terrace/
Thank you for the insight. How competitive is it to lock in the terrace housing? If I apply after the deposit deadline (April 17), will it be too late? How much consideration is given to out-of-state students?

gtrs09

New

Post by gtrs09 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:54 pm

LetsGoNow wrote:
averagewhiteguy wrote:

Thank you for the insight. How competitive is it to lock in the terrace housing? If I apply after the deposit deadline (April 17), will it be too late? How much consideration is given to out-of-state students?
Thanks for the response! I was able to speak with a student outside Terrace and she was very helpful. In regards to whether it's competitive, I called this week and got the feeling of anybody who is OOS that wants a spot will get it. It also seemed like nobody has submitted an application for housing yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

averagewhiteguy

New

Post by averagewhiteguy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:37 pm

LetsGoNow wrote:
averagewhiteguy wrote:

I think OOS get preference. So you should be ok.

LetsGoNow

New

Post by LetsGoNow » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:54 am

gtrs09 wrote:
LetsGoNow wrote:
averagewhiteguy wrote:

Thanks for the response! I was able to speak with a student outside Terrace and she was very helpful. In regards to whether it's competitive, I called this week and got the feeling of anybody who is OOS that wants a spot will get it. It also seemed like nobody has submitted an application for housing yet.
Thank you! Any idea as to parking availability? I saw that we had to work it out through transportation, but I was just wondering if there are generally enough spaces for occupants with cars.

averagewhiteguy

New

Post by averagewhiteguy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:10 am

LetsGoNow wrote:
gtrs09 wrote:
LetsGoNow wrote:
averagewhiteguy wrote:

Thank you! Any idea as to parking availability? I saw that we had to work it out through transportation, but I was just wondering if there are generally enough spaces for occupants with cars.
So for Terrace there are a limited amount of spaces. Make sure when you go through transportation you ask for the Terrace lot. I would recommend doing that ASAP because there are not many spaces.

If you don't get Terrace parking they will put you in PSO (Parking Services One) which is over by the law school, which is a 20-30 minute walk.

Danimals18

Silver

Post by Danimals18 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:57 pm

Anyone who has successfully negotiated a scholarship reconsideration, about how long did the process take?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

haewon225

New

Post by haewon225 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:29 am

Danimals18 wrote:Anyone who has successfully negotiated a scholarship reconsideration, about how long did the process take?
2 business days. PM me for details.

sjp200

Bronze

Post by sjp200 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:55 am

I want to negotiate scholly but I'm running out of time. Other schools STILL haven't gotten back to me on other negotiations and deadline is coming up. Crap.

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:41 pm

rhapsodelly wrote:Attending law day and the diversity event, looking forward to meeting everyone! :D
Going to law day/diversity reception, too. Would love to meet up with any of you. I'm not staying at the recommended hotels - the rooms were already taken, so I'm staying downtown. Kind of nervous to navigate the area by myself.

haewon225

New

Post by haewon225 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:13 pm

genericwit wrote:
rhapsodelly wrote:Attending law day and the diversity event, looking forward to meeting everyone! :D
Going to law day/diversity reception, too. Would love to meet up with any of you. I'm not staying at the recommended hotels - the rooms were already taken, so I'm staying downtown. Kind of nervous to navigate the area by myself.
Currently live/work in LA. It's actually pretty easy to get to USC from downtown. Get to the 7th street metro station, take the expo line (NOT the blue line, which leaves on the same tracks), and Expo Park/USC is the fourth stop. It takes 5-7 minutes to get to the law school once you get off the metro. I visited USC for the first time earlier this week, and the commute there was much easier than I had expected. The expo line leaves every 12-15 minutes, so as long as you plan your trip right, it should take you about 20 minutes to get there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:10 pm

haewon225 wrote:
genericwit wrote:
Currently live/work in LA. It's actually pretty easy to get to USC from downtown. Get to the 7th street metro station, take the expo line (NOT the blue line, which leaves on the same tracks), and Expo Park/USC is the fourth stop. It takes 5-7 minutes to get to the law school once you get off the metro. I visited USC for the first time earlier this week, and the commute there was much easier than I had expected. The expo line leaves every 12-15 minutes, so as long as you plan your trip right, it should take you about 20 minutes to get there.
I was going to uber over, but I might actually try the train. Thanks so much!

LetsGoNow

New

Post by LetsGoNow » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:55 pm

genericwit wrote:
haewon225 wrote:
genericwit wrote:
+1. I'm staying at the Radisson, but wanted to check out downtown after the reception.

kade

New

Post by kade » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:09 pm

All, congrats on your acceptance to sc.

I have the following 0L books that I would to give away to anyone who is matriculating in the fall at Gould. They are available to pick up during law day weekend, either on campus or dtla. They are offered only to people who are joining the trojan family in the fall. One supplement per person, please. And the account must have at least 100 posts (to distinguish alts). Please do not pm, as I would have to cross-check and it would be harder for me to keep track; instead, please post below which one you would like.

1. Getting to Maybe
2. Law School Confidential
3. LEEWS CD set
4. The Eight Secrets of Top Exam Performance in Law School
5. Strategies and Tactics for the First Year Law Student

You guys can pick them up either on Law Day or when school starts.

I will also be giving out a ton of 1L supplements. I will post them at a later date in this thread. I also have outlines that I can give out. But I will only share the outlines around two weeks before school starts.

haewon225

New

Post by haewon225 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:26 pm

LetsGoNow wrote:
genericwit wrote:
haewon225 wrote:
genericwit wrote:
+1. I'm staying at the Radisson, but wanted to check out downtown after the reception.
You can compare prices with uber, but the metro costs $1.75 for a trip and $1 for getting a new card. Transfers are free for two hours, but round trips don't apply. Nextbus.com is pretty reliable for arrival times, but I would plan on arriving 2 mins in advance of the train arrival time. Actually, plan to get to the station 5+ minutes in advance because 7th street station is pretty busy and might be a little confusing the first time around. Just remember that the Blue/Expo lines are on the upper level, and the Red/Purple lines are below.

As for the downtown area, I would recommend staying west of Spring and north of 4th. Further south/east is a little too close to skid row.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:38 pm

kade wrote:All, congrats on your acceptance to sc.

I have the following 0L books that I would to give away to anyone who is matriculating in the fall at Gould. They are available to pick up during law day weekend, either on campus or dtla. They are offered only to people who are joining the trojan family in the fall. One supplement per person, please. And the account must have at least 100 posts (to distinguish alts). Please do not pm, as I would have to cross-check and it would be harder for me to keep track; instead, please post below which one you would like.

1. Getting to Maybe
3. LEEWS CD set

I will also be giving out a ton of 1L supplements. I will post them at a later date in this thread. I also have outlines that I can give out. But I will only share the outlines around two weeks before school starts.
Too bad I'm not at the post number. But then again, neither are you?

kade

New

Post by kade » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:46 pm

genericwit wrote:

1. Getting to Maybe
3. LEEWS CD set

I guess I can strike that requirement. Yeah these supplements are no longer useful for me. They're up for grabs for people who are matriculating or very close to matriculating (more than 80% sure). (But not for people who are thinking of going to the "rival school.") And I guess people can pm me due to AOs who might be lurking..

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:02 pm

kade wrote:
genericwit wrote:

1. Getting to Maybe
3. LEEWS CD set

I guess I can strike that requirement. Yeah these supplements are no longer useful for me. They're up for grabs for people who are matriculating or very close to matriculating (more than 80% sure). (But not for people who are thinking of going to the "rival school.") And I guess people can pm me due to AOs who might be lurking..
Could I get the CD set? I could pick it up on the 15th. :)

LetsGoNow

New

Post by LetsGoNow » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:09 am

Draconem wrote:
kade wrote:
genericwit wrote:

1. Getting to Maybe
3. LEEWS CD set

Could I get the CD set? I could pick it up on the 15th. :)
Can I get Getting to Maybe? I'm definitely NOT attending Yale (that's gotta be the rival school we're talking about right? :D ) I'll be there on Law Day, so let me know where to meet you.

Btw, I got some help from you regarding scholarship negotiations a few months back, so thank you again for that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”