USC Law Class of '19 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Are you going to Law Day?

Yes
38%
No
38%
Double Yes
24%

Total votes: 21

genericwit

Bronze

Re: USC Law Class of '19

Post by genericwit » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:32 am

kade wrote:
genericwit wrote:
kade wrote:All, congrats on your acceptance to sc.

I have the following 0L books that I would to give away to anyone who is matriculating in the fall at Gould. They are available to pick up during law day weekend, either on campus or dtla. They are offered only to people who are joining the trojan family in the fall. One supplement per person, please. And the account must have at least 100 posts (to distinguish alts). Please do not pm, as I would have to cross-check and it would be harder for me to keep track; instead, please post below which one you would like.

1. Getting to Maybe
2. Law School Confidential
3. LEEWS CD set
4. The Eight Secrets of Top Exam Performance in Law School
5. Strategies and Tactics for the First Year Law Student

You guys can pick them up either on Law Day or when school starts.

I will also be giving out a ton of 1L supplements. I will post them at a later date in this thread. I also have outlines that I can give out. But I will only share the outlines around two weeks before school starts.

Too bad I'm not at the post number. But then again, neither are you?
I guess I can strike that requirement. Yeah these supplements are no longer useful for me. They're up for grabs for people who are matriculating or very close to matriculating (more than 80% sure). (But not for people who are thinking of going to the "rival school.") And I guess people can pm me due to AOs who might be lurking..

I'd like number five then.

rhapsodelly

New

Post by rhapsodelly » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:40 pm

LetsGoNow wrote:
genericwit wrote:
haewon225 wrote:
genericwit wrote:
rhapsodelly wrote:Attending law day and the diversity event, looking forward to meeting everyone! :D
Going to law day/diversity reception, too. Would love to meet up with any of you. I'm not staying at the recommended hotels - the rooms were already taken, so I'm staying downtown. Kind of nervous to navigate the area by myself.
Currently live/work in LA. It's actually pretty easy to get to USC from downtown. Get to the 7th street metro station, take the expo line (NOT the blue line, which leaves on the same tracks), and Expo Park/USC is the fourth stop. It takes 5-7 minutes to get to the law school once you get off the metro. I visited USC for the first time earlier this week, and the commute there was much easier than I had expected. The expo line leaves every 12-15 minutes, so as long as you plan your trip right, it should take you about 20 minutes to get there.
I was going to uber over, but I might actually try the train. Thanks so much!
+1. I'm staying at the Radisson, but wanted to check out downtown after the reception.
I'll be at the Radisson as well, planning on exploring the train system as I am trying to avoid living on campus and want to get a feel for the transit.

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:18 am

rhapsodelly wrote:
LetsGoNow wrote:
genericwit wrote:
haewon225 wrote:
genericwit wrote:
rhapsodelly wrote:Attending law day and the diversity event, looking forward to meeting everyone! :D
Going to law day/diversity reception, too. Would love to meet up with any of you. I'm not staying at the recommended hotels - the rooms were already taken, so I'm staying downtown. Kind of nervous to navigate the area by myself.
Currently live/work in LA. It's actually pretty easy to get to USC from downtown. Get to the 7th street metro station, take the expo line (NOT the blue line, which leaves on the same tracks), and Expo Park/USC is the fourth stop. It takes 5-7 minutes to get to the law school once you get off the metro. I visited USC for the first time earlier this week, and the commute there was much easier than I had expected. The expo line leaves every 12-15 minutes, so as long as you plan your trip right, it should take you about 20 minutes to get there.
I was going to uber over, but I might actually try the train. Thanks so much!
+1. I'm staying at the Radisson, but wanted to check out downtown after the reception.
I'll be at the Radisson as well, planning on exploring the train system as I am trying to avoid living on campus and want to get a feel for the transit.
You can feel free to join the exploration party. :D

Danimals18

Silver

Post by Danimals18 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:04 pm

Have any of you guys started looking at apartments or places?

gtrs09

New

Post by gtrs09 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:18 pm

Danimals18 wrote:Have any of you guys started looking at apartments or places?
Visited this past weekend. Gonna stay in Terrace to familiarize myself with the area and then move dtla for second/third year once I know more people and where they all are staying.
Last edited by gtrs09 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gtrs09

New

Post by gtrs09 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:24 pm

By the way, the 2015 employment numbers are up but there is no link on their site yet. Here's the info http://gould.usc.edu/assets/docs/career ... duates.pdf

No improvement for biglaw + clerkship but 1-2% dif from 2014. Disappointing considering UCLA improved. I hope it's a class specific issue. Also interesting to note is the 2x increase in 2-10 firm size jobs. Why such a large change?

sjp200

Bronze

Post by sjp200 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:21 am

You think I've been kidding this whole time but I've been looking a little. I seriously want to consider finding a roommate at an off campus apartment. My flight back is on Saturday so I have time Thursday and Saturday to kind of look around if you're down

MikeJD

Bronze

Post by MikeJD » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:42 am

there is much time for apartments. When the semester ends it might easier to find them.

lawyergirl94

New

Post by lawyergirl94 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Checking in! About 90% sure I'll be attending; going to Law Day to verify

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:34 pm

Withdrew - best of luck future Trojans!

Danimals18

Silver

Post by Danimals18 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:32 pm

sjp200 wrote:
You think I've been kidding this whole time but I've been looking a little. I seriously want to consider finding a roommate at an off campus apartment. My flight back is on Saturday so I have time Thursday and Saturday to kind of look around if you're down
I'm actually thinking of living without a roommate 1L year - but I'm happy to help brainstorm, share what I've found, find cool apartments, etc.

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:57 am

Is the enrollment confirmation a binding form? Or are we allowed to deposit at other places?

Danimals18

Silver

Post by Danimals18 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:59 am

lolRCscrewyou wrote:Is the enrollment confirmation a binding form? Or are we allowed to deposit at other places?
not allowed to double deposit - they'll revoke your scholarship. The rest of that info can be found in the scholarship letter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:13 am

Danimals18 wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote:Is the enrollment confirmation a binding form? Or are we allowed to deposit at other places?
not allowed to double deposit - they'll revoke your scholarship. The rest of that info can be found in the scholarship letter.
Yeah, I just saw that right now. I wonder if they are open to granting extensions....

LetsGoNow

New

Post by LetsGoNow » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:17 am

lolRCscrewyou wrote:
Danimals18 wrote:
Yeah, I just saw that right now. I wonder if they are open to granting extensions....
Interested as well if they are open to it. I sent in my scholarship negotiation email last night. I assume they might be busy this week with all the last minute negotiation attempts and Law Day preparations, which means I may very well not get a response until next week.

Danimals18

Silver

Post by Danimals18 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:09 pm

new poll!

Lawvocado

New

Post by Lawvocado » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:21 pm

Just successfully negotiated a scholarship increase, and the process only took two days! Very happy with the quick turnaround and the result.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mmontgo

New

Post by mmontgo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:11 am

Lawvocado wrote:Just successfully negotiated a scholarship increase, and the process only took two days! Very happy with the quick turnaround and the result.
Do you mind sharing which other school(s) you used as leverage?

sjp200

Bronze

Post by sjp200 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:54 pm

Lawvocado wrote:Just successfully negotiated a scholarship increase, and the process only took two days! Very happy with the quick turnaround and the result.
They told me there were no funds with my response yesterday. I brought 2 80k+ offers from ND and BU and didn't get another dime

mrsomebody

New

Post by mrsomebody » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:25 pm

I've had no luck negotiating with less money from a T14 and a much better offer from Vanderbilt.

I have also been stonewalled in asking for a deposit extension to consider the 2015 employment numbers once they are released.

Very disappointed by both outcomes. It's extremely unlikely that I end up attending now (good news is it might finally free up some scholarship $ for them to hand out!)

sjp200

Bronze

Post by sjp200 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:43 pm

I'll be getting in to LA around 10 which is late but if ahold wants to hang out at the hotel for a bit I'm definitely down

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawvocado

New

Post by Lawvocado » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:44 pm

mmontgo wrote:Do you mind sharing which other school(s) you used as leverage?
PMed.
sjp200 wrote:
They told me there were no funds with my response yesterday. I brought 2 80k+ offers from ND and BU and didn't get another dime
Hmmm, that must just be their way of politely saying no. Someone on Reddit received the same response from USC a couple of weeks ago and I almost didn't try to negotiate as a result. Sorry they didn't send any love your way. :(

itsmako

New

Post by itsmako » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:51 pm

Lawvocado wrote:
mmontgo wrote:Do you mind sharing which other school(s) you used as leverage?
PMed.
sjp200 wrote:
Hmmm, that must just be their way of politely saying no. Someone on Reddit received the same response from USC a couple of weeks ago and I almost didn't try to negotiate as a result. Sorry they didn't send any love your way. :(
I've tried negotiating with an equal scholarship but much cheaper COL at a higher ranked school. Got the response of having no money left and that it might change after deposits are in when they have a better idea of money.

I still ended up depositing today. Let me know how Law Day goes!

kade

New

Post by kade » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:36 pm

Hope you guys are enjoying Law Day so far!
You guys can text me to pick up your supplements

itsmako

New

Post by itsmako » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:05 am

How was Law Day for those who attended?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”