USC Law Class of '19 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Are you going to Law Day?

Yes
38%
No
38%
Double Yes
24%

Total votes: 21

Danimals18

Silver

USC Law Class of '19

Post by Danimals18 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:17 pm

KEY DATES

***LAW DAY– Friday April 15***

Thursday April 14th, 2016
Celebration of Diversity Reception: 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM

Friday April 15th, 2016
Law Day Program: 10:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Optional Morning Activities: (9:00 AM - 10:30 AM)
Law School Tour
USC Campus Tour
Walking Tour to Terrace Apartments (Law Student Housing)
Law Library Tour
Open Houses (Career Services, Student Affairs, Public Service, Financial Aid, Graduate and International Programs)
"Taste of LA" Closing Reception: 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Calling all foodies! Please stay for our "Taste of LA Reception" and sample a variety of exciting and eclectic dining options available in the LA area. Come mingle with current students and faculty and/or visit our student organization fair.

---------------------

Scholarship Award Reservation: April 1st, 2016

---------------------

First tuition deposit: April 17th, 2016
Second tuition deposit: July 1st, 2016

---------------------

PROGRAMS

Clinical Programs
-Immigration Clinic
-Intellectual Property and Technology Law Clinic
-International Human Rights Clinic
-Mediation Clinic
-Post-Conviction Justice Project
-Small Business Clinic

---------------------

Student Journals and Honors Programs
- Southern California Law Review
- Southern California Review of Law and Social Justice
- Interdisciplinary Law Journal
- Hale Moot Court Honors Program
* Write-on competitions for honors journals take place after 1L year. Students are given about two weeks to complete the write-on.

---------------------

SOCIAL MEDIA AND OTHER LINKS

(Coming)

---------------------

---------------------

Grading System
Gould uses both letter and numerical grades.
Highest Honors: A+ 4.1-4.4; A 3.9-4.0
Honors: A 3.8; A- 3.5-3.7; B+ 3.4
No Designation: 1.9-3.3

- 1Ls are not officially ranked. Only the students in the top 10% of the class are told of their standing.
- The median is published.

---------------------

Dual Degree Programs
Masters of Arts in Economics, International Relations, Philosophy, or Political Science; Master of Business Administration; Master of Business Taxation; Master of Communication Management; Master of Public Administration; Master of Public Policy; Master of Real Estate Development; Master of Science in Gerontology; and Master of Social Work.

Certificate Programs
- ADR
- Business Law
- Entertainment Law

---------------------
Quick Facts
Full- and part-time faculty: 87
Total faculty: 103
Student-faculty ratio: 10.7:1
(Source: USNWR 2016)

---------------------

HOUSING

On-Campus: USC Housing operates more than 40 facilities, including houses, residential colleges, residence halls and apartments that provide our students a variety of living options. Visit the USC Housing website at http://housing.usc.edu/ for application information.

1Ls can apply for Terrace Apartments, university owned housing that fits the law school's academic calendar. Terrace Law Program

Off-Campus:
Average monthly rental fees: Studio ($800), 1-Bd ($1,000), 2-Bd ($1300)

General Perspectives of Neighborhoods:
- Arcadia/Pasadena/Glendale: Very nice and secure. There are many malls and parks. It is a great area for families with children. Arcadia is considered one of the best school districts of Los Angeles. Arcadia is a 40-70 min. commute to USC, Pasadena and Glendale being less time (30-60 minutes).
- Culver City/West L.A./Santa Monica: Many apartment buildings on Bundy drive, some of which are reasonably priced. Only 12 miles to USC and a 20 to 30 min. commute. Close to LAX airport, Beverly Hills and Downtown. Prices may be on the higher side as you get closer to the beaches.
- Palos Verdes/Rolling Hills/San Pedro in the South Bay: Beautiful area, but 25 miles from USC. Takes 45 min. to commute to school. Very safe neighborhoods and houses, condos, and apartments are available for renting or leasing.
- Playa del Rey/Marina del Rey/ElSegundo: Beach cities. Lots of beach sports, sailing/surfing/etc. Crowded on weekends, 16 miles from USC.
- Torrance/Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach in the South Bay: Secure, many places to dine out, large Asian community, and some houses are as affordable as apartments to rent.
- West Hollywood/Mid-Wilshire/Westwood: All areas toward the west of LA, which are along the Wilshire Blvd. corridor. Each community has its nice areas worth seeking out (ex. Westwood - younger university crowd, West Hollywood - mix of LGBTQ and Eastern Europeans).

Rental Listings:
- http://www.westsiderentals.com
- http://www.apartments.com/
- http://www.rentals.com/
- http://losangeles.craigslist.org/
- http://rentbits.com
- http://www.ApartmentList.com
- http://hotpads.com/CA/Los_Angeles

Other resources:
The L.A. Times, The Daily Breeze, The Larchmont Chronicle, Pasadena Star News, The Recycler, The Easy Reader, Pacific Palisades Post, North Shore Shopper, The Argonaut, The Outlook, Glendale News Press, Beverly Hills Courier, and West Hollywood Independent.

Looking for roommates?
You can post below.

Sources: First Year Housing Guide, Commuting and Public Transportation, Housing and Neighborhoods - Description and Commute from Campus, Patrol Area Map, GoogleMaps

Many thanks to the USC Class of '18 thread!
---------------------
Last edited by Danimals18 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 10 times in total.

jdanz

Bronze

Re: USC Law Class of '19

Post by jdanz » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:21 pm

Sweet. Checking in! USC is the only school I have heard back from so far (applied really late in the cycle and then there was a hold up on my CAS report), but they are a serious contender since I'd prefer to stay around LA. Hopefully, if I get other offers, I can negotiate my scholly.

kitkat12

New

Post by kitkat12 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:03 pm

Checking in! Anyone heading to the admit tour day on 4/1? I can't make it to Law Day so that's my best option :(

gtrs09

New

Post by gtrs09 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Checking in! Attending the ASD on 4/1. Planning on looking for places to live while there (ktown, downtown LA, etc).

ohthatjenn

New

Post by ohthatjenn » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:02 pm

Checking in! I'm still waiting on other schools but right now USC is a strong candidate :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

skyhigh4760

Bronze

Post by skyhigh4760 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:25 pm

Hey all!! Pretty sure I am going to USC in the fall. I went to the visit day in the beginning of the month and LOVED it. I am wearing my USC shirt right now...I applied to Terrace housing and I really hope I get it. :D :D :D :D :D So excited!

Lawvocado

New

Post by Lawvocado » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:57 am

Checking in as well!!! I will definitely be attending USC... It's been my dream school for a long time now and I couldn't be more excited! :D

Anyone else here going to Law Day?

Danimals18

Silver

Post by Danimals18 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:53 pm

Lawvocado wrote:Checking in as well!!! I will definitely be attending USC... It's been my dream school for a long time now and I couldn't be more excited! :D

Yeah, I'll be there

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:19 pm

Danimals18 wrote:
Lawvocado wrote:Checking in as well!!! I will definitely be attending USC... It's been my dream school for a long time now and I couldn't be more excited! :D

Yeah, I'll be there
I will!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LetsGoNow

New

Post by LetsGoNow » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:00 am

Draconem wrote:
Danimals18 wrote:

Yeah, I'll be there
I will!
+1

alvmew

New

Post by alvmew » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:08 pm

Checking in - USC remains on my shortlist. My schedule won't let me attend any of the big events, but I plan on visiting the school, taking a tour, and sitting in on a class on the first Monday in April. I'll be doing this after having had visited UCLA the day before, so it'll be nice to get a good idea of how the two schools are. (:

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:11 pm

alvmew wrote:Checking in - USC remains on my shortlist. My schedule won't let me attend any of the big events, but I plan on visiting the school, taking a tour, and sitting in on a class on the first Monday in April. I'll be doing this after having had visited UCLA the day before, so it'll be nice to get a good idea of how the two schools are. (:
I did the reverse visiting USC on a weekend before an admit day at UCLA. Helped me out with my choice. Goodluck

Goatside47

New

Post by Goatside47 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:42 pm

Last edited by Goatside47 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danimals18

Silver

Post by Danimals18 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:02 pm

Goatside47 wrote:Hey guys, anyone looking for a roommate that would be willing to live with a dog? I've got a 2 year old lab who's pretty relaxed and I'm coming from Florida so I don't really know too much about the area and I'm just trying to get a jump on finding housing
In case you are unaware, under the checklist there is a roommate guide finder thing that may also be worth checking out. Same with the facebook group. Hope that helps

Lawvocado

New

Post by Lawvocado » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:45 am

Those of you going to Law Day, are you also going to the Celebration of Diversity Reception on the 14th? I RSVPed for it along with Law Day, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

sjp200

Bronze

Post by sjp200 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:49 am

Danimals18 wrote:
Goatside47 wrote:Hey guys, anyone looking for a roommate that would be willing to live with a dog? I've got a 2 year old lab who's pretty relaxed and I'm coming from Florida so I don't really know too much about the area and I'm just trying to get a jump on finding housing
In case you are unaware, under the checklist there is a roommate guide finder thing that may also be worth checking out. Same with the facebook group. Hope that helps
Danimals, you don't know it yet, but we're gonna be roomies.

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:21 pm

Lawvocado wrote:Those of you going to Law Day, are you also going to the Celebration of Diversity Reception on the 14th? I RSVPed for it along with Law Day, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it.
I will be. Not sure what to make of it, too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danimals18

Silver

Post by Danimals18 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:42 pm

sjp200 wrote:
Danimals18 wrote:

sjp200

Bronze

Post by sjp200 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:52 pm

Danimals18 wrote:
sjp200 wrote:
Danimals18 wrote:
I'll see you in 3 weeks sir!

BTW anyone know a good idea for where to stay if we fly in Thursday night?

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:27 pm

How is the law school's football team?

kade

New

Post by kade » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:13 pm

Tagging to watch the thread. Congrats all!

eta: I'll be giving away outlines, casebooks, and/or supplements for people who are interested.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:59 pm

kade wrote:Tagging to watch the thread. Congrats all!

eta: I'll be giving away outlines, casebooks, and/or supplements for people who are interested.
Definitely interested!

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post by SirArthurDayne » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:03 am

amta wrote:How is the law school's football team?

kitkat12

New

Post by kitkat12 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:38 am

Draconem wrote:
kade wrote:Tagging to watch the thread. Congrats all!

Definitely interested!
Interested as well! :)

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:33 pm

Danimals18 wrote:
When you started the application, was it awkward when they credit checked you and required you to list your assets to make sure your net worth was sufficient to be considered for admission?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”