WUSTL Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

If attending, where will you live?

the loop
17%
central west end
56%
university city
12%
demun
No votes
clayton
7%
skinkier
7%
richmond height
No votes

Total votes: 41

WinterComing

Silver

Re: WUSTL Class of 2019

Post by WinterComing » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:56 pm

Vandy2bforrealz wrote: more pomp and circumstance than substance
???

kdub1982

New

Post by kdub1982 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:32 pm

alice1990 wrote:Just made the deposit today but I'm still on the fence! I'm so bummed I was not able to visit, I'm sure that would have helped.

How many on here are set on WashU at this point?
I was already committed but still went to ASD. It made me REALLY happy with my decision. St. Louis was a lot cooler than I expected. The current students, professors, and other admitted students that I met were impressive while being very friendly and supportive. I'm excited.

Vandy2bforrealz

New

Post by Vandy2bforrealz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:18 pm

Last edited by Vandy2bforrealz on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:38 pm

Vandy2bforrealz wrote:
WinterComing wrote:
???
Most people apply to WUSTL because they will likely be offered a bucket of money to attend. It's not in a booming market and doesn't get its grads to major markets by the percentages that people with good numbers should desire. It's a big savings party until graduation where I believe the real "payment" will come.
I didn't realize we needed to post in the threads of schools we won't be attending to say why we won't be going there. Your post had more pomp and circumstance than substance, tbh.

Vandy2bforrealz

New

Post by Vandy2bforrealz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:00 pm

Last edited by Vandy2bforrealz on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:09 pm

Vandy2bforrealz wrote:
WinterComing wrote:
???
Most people apply to WUSTL because they will likely be offered a bucket of money to attend. It's not in a booming market and doesn't get its grads to major markets by the percentages that people with good numbers should desire. It's a big savings party until graduation where I believe the real "payment" will come.
And you're going to Vandy?

Vandy2bforrealz

New

Post by Vandy2bforrealz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:11 pm

Last edited by Vandy2bforrealz on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:49 pm

Vandy2bforrealz wrote:
WinterComing wrote:
Vandy2bforrealz wrote:
WinterComing wrote:
???
And you're going to Vandy?
Fairly certain
I'm probably not going to Wash. U., but I think most of the criticisms you levied against it, specifically that it's not in a booming market and that it doesn't get its grads to the big markets, apply equally to Vandy. It seems to me that you're just trying to justify your decision.

Regardless, I think going to Wash. U. for free is a good deal for debt averse people with certain goals, and St. Louis is a much better city than you're giving it credit for.

reasonableperson

New

Post by reasonableperson » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:53 pm

Vandy2bforrealz wrote:
WinterComing wrote:
???
To be fair, Vandy isn't located in a "booming market", and doesn't get its grads to "major markets" much more so than WUSTL, to the point where it's not at all worth going to Vandy over WUSTL, especially if you're being offered less $$$ at Vandy." Also, it's much easier getting to Chicago from WUSTL.

NY: WUSTL 10.9%, Vandy 7.7%
DC: WUSTL 8.5%, Vandy 9.3%.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/ ... anderbilt/
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... tion/2014/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:38 pm

reasonableperson wrote:
Vandy2bforrealz wrote:
WinterComing wrote:
???
To be fair, Vandy isn't located in a "booming market", and doesn't get its grads to "major markets" much more so than WUSTL, to the point where it's not at all worth going to Vandy over WUSTL, especially if you're being offered less $$$ at Vandy." Also, it's much easier getting to Chicago from WUSTL.

NY: WUSTL 10.9%, Vandy 7.7%
DC: WUSTL 8.5%, Vandy 9.3%.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/ ... anderbilt/
Yeah, I don't think the major difference between Vandy and WashU is big law jobs, I think it's clerkships. Vandy overperforms and WashU underperforms. Additionally, I think job numbers are hard to compare since those in clerkships aren't counted in major markets at the 9 month review point.

Vandy2bforrealz

New

Post by Vandy2bforrealz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:01 pm

Last edited by Vandy2bforrealz on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:43 am

alice1990 wrote:Just made the deposit today but I'm still on the fence! I'm so bummed I was not able to visit, I'm sure that would have helped.

How did you make the deposit? I'm on the admitted students website right now and I can't find anything other than the decision prompt. Still not sure about WashU, but I'm going to pay to play and see if I can negotiate a full ride.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:01 am

I've paid my seat deposit, I've withdrawn everywhere else, my landlord has agreed to let me break my lease (only 1 mo early). I am not committed yet, though. I think I'm outperforming my numbers, scholarship-wise (median lsat, below median gpa, above median grant amount), and they seem hesitant to give me more but said they'll know in a couple weeks. I'm not happy with my numbers, though, and know I could put together a better application if I waited a year.

I have a good job and they've offered me a fair amount more money to stay for another year. I just don't really like my job too much. I'm not sure if I decided to stay if I would make it the whole year or quit in the winter anyway.

I like wustl, I like st louis, the debt I'd be taking on is pretty low. I keep going back and forth and am not sure if this is actually what I want to do or if I'm trying to convince myself that it is because I'm not happy with my current situation.

Anyone else's only options wash u or keep working for another year?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jmark1

New

Post by jmark1 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:59 am

Just put in my seat deposit! Unless I get a miracle acceptance with lots of money from Northwestern, I'll see you all in August.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Okay, do you have to select that you'll be attending in order to make the seat deposit? I've clicked on literally everything in the admitted students website but that and I can't figure it out.

Petrichor

Bronze

Post by Petrichor » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:53 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:Okay, do you have to select that you'll be attending in order to make the seat deposit? I've clicked on literally everything in the admitted students website but that and I can't figure it out.
yes you need to select i will be attending in order to proceed to the payment page. you still have the withdraw option available to you for the second deposit, although you obviously will lose the $500 from the first deposit.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:56 pm

Petrichor wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:Okay, do you have to select that you'll be attending in order to make the seat deposit? I've clicked on literally everything in the admitted students website but that and I can't figure it out.
yes you need to select i will be attending in order to proceed to the payment page. you still have the withdraw option available to you for the second deposit, although you obviously will lose the $500 from the first deposit.
Many thanks, deposit made.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alice1990

New

Post by alice1990 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:05 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:

How did you make the deposit? I'm on the admitted students website right now and I can't find anything other than the decision prompt. Still not sure about WashU, but I'm going to pay to play and see if I can negotiate a full ride.
I see you managed to deposit! What other schools are you considering?

BTW I finally booked my ticket to go visit STL the weekend of April 22-24 - if anyone is already in town I'd love to meet up!

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:34 pm

alice1990 wrote: I see you managed to deposit! What other schools are you considering?

BTW I finally booked my ticket to go visit STL the weekend of April 22-24 - if anyone is already in town I'd love to meet up!
I did! I was being dumb and didn't realize I needed to accept the offer.

It'd take a lot to get me to WashU after my visit; they didn't really talk at all about what I'm interested in (veterans affairs/national security law/clerkships), and when I asked about getting to meet a faculty member in the area they didn't really know where to point me. I liked the students and faculty a lot, so I'm still open to persuasion, though.

Other places I'm looking are Vandy, UT, and Georgetown (plus riding the WL at UVA/Mich). They've all got pretty good ties to DC government/security work, and I got to chat with some amazing faculty who teach in that area.

janderson821

Bronze

Post by janderson821 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:03 pm

How long did it take people to get a response to scholarship negotiations?

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:13 am

janderson821 wrote:How long did it take people to get a response to scholarship negotiations?
I had a confirmation email the day I sent it and a new offer the next day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alice1990

New

Post by alice1990 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:34 pm

How is downtown not even an option in the poll? Like NOBODY ever lives there? I'm so clueless about where to look but it looks like downtown you can get a pretty swanky place for very little money! Can anyone from the area shed some light on this?

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:45 pm

alice1990 wrote:How is downtown not even an option in the poll? Like NOBODY ever lives there? I'm so clueless about where to look but it looks like downtown you can get a pretty swanky place for very little money! Can anyone from the area shed some light on this?
Downtown is like a ghost town. After 5pm there's like no foot traffic whatsoever. And some say it's dangerous. The commute to school wouldn't necessarily be bad, but there's no reason (especially during 1L) to needlessly increase your commute time when the CWE and Loop are better options anyway. Additionally, unless there are Cardinals game outings/Soulard events/Washington Ave. bar reviews, almost nothing takes place downtown. Your friends will all be going out in the Loop or CWE, and I personally would find it annoying to literally have to drive to everything.

JamGirl

New

Post by JamGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:29 pm

Has anyone started looking for rommates yet?

cmgaus

New

Post by cmgaus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:37 pm

Just made my decision yesterday. Super excited, just checking in to this thread

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”