WUSTL Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

If attending, where will you live?

the loop
17%
central west end
56%
university city
12%
demun
No votes
clayton
7%
skinkier
7%
richmond height
No votes

Total votes: 41

alice1990

New

Re: WUSTL Class of 2019

Post by alice1990 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:22 am

Visiting the school and STL tomorrow - so pumped!! Is anyone in town? :D

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:48 pm

alice1990 wrote:How is downtown not even an option in the poll? Like NOBODY ever lives there? I'm so clueless about where to look but it looks like downtown you can get a pretty swanky place for very little money! Can anyone from the area shed some light on this?
WUSTL 2L here. I have a few friends that live downtown and metro to school/the Loop area for classes. If you did have a car, you would have to deal with commuting and parking which would be imo annoying. Then again, while alot of people do live in CWE, and it is where or near most Bar Reviews are, living on/near the Loop has its definite perks. It's close to school, and if you have an hour to spare, forget something, or desperately need a nap between classes, you can get to and from super easily. I love living close to school for that reason. You can also easily walk/bike from the Loop area to school if you don't have a car, and if you do, parking is hardly an issue. But full disclosure: they're adding a trolley system on the loop and I don't know what that will mean in terms of convenient accessibility, at least for people with cars. Hope that helps.

TL,DR: if you want to live somewhere cheap(ish), spacious, yet trendy and pretty convenient, go with CWE instead of downtown.

w00kash

New

Post by w00kash » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:10 pm

Sprout wrote:
alice1990 wrote:How is downtown not even an option in the poll? Like NOBODY ever lives there? I'm so clueless about where to look but it looks like downtown you can get a pretty swanky place for very little money! Can anyone from the area shed some light on this?
WUSTL 2L here. I have a few friends that live downtown and metro to school/the Loop area for classes. If you did have a car, you would have to deal with commuting and parking which would be imo annoying. Then again, while alot of people do live in CWE, and it is where or near most Bar Reviews are, living on/near the Loop has its definite perks. It's close to school, and if you have an hour to spare, forget something, or desperately need a nap between classes, you can get to and from super easily. I love living close to school for that reason. You can also easily walk/bike from the Loop area to school if you don't have a car, and if you do, parking is hardly an issue. But full disclosure: they're adding a trolley system on the loop and I don't know what that will mean in terms of convenient accessibility, at least for people with cars. Hope that helps.

TL,DR: if you want to live somewhere cheap(ish), spacious, yet trendy and pretty convenient, go with CWE instead of downtown.
I'm seconding all of the above in regard to the loop. Can't beat it in terms of convenience. I have a car and I never use it because I walk to school, and there's a shit ton to do around here. Also relatively easy to get to all the hot spots in town and closeish to two metro link stops (one of which is kind of not in the greatest area but nothing too crazy). I would imagine the trolley is going to mess things up worse than it already has though. Might be the single worst public transit idea ever conceived of.

alice1990

New

Post by alice1990 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:49 pm

w00kash wrote:
Sprout wrote:

I'm seconding all of the above in regard to the loop. Can't beat it in terms of convenience. I have a car and I never use it because I walk to school, and there's a shit ton to do around here. Also relatively easy to get to all the hot spots in town and closeish to two metro link stops (one of which is kind of not in the greatest area but nothing too crazy). I would imagine the trolley is going to mess things up worse than it already has though. Might be the single worst public transit idea ever conceived of.
Honestly after visiting over the weekend I understand why - totally gonna live in the Loop! LOVED the school and loved the city!

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:00 pm

The Skinker-Debaliviere area is also nice and is becoming increasingly popular among WUSTL law students. It's much cheaper and closer to campus than CWE is, and you get a lot more bang for your buck than in CWE or the Loop. I would recommend everyone check it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Petrichor

Bronze

Post by Petrichor » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:13 am

looks like i will be attending, withdrew from all other schools and waitlists after scholarship negotiations went nowhere.

futago

Bronze

Post by futago » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:24 am

Petrichor wrote:looks like i will be attending, withdrew from all other schools and waitlists after scholarship negotiations went nowhere.
Welcome.

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:24 pm

Has anyone been asked to defer in exchange for a larger scholarship? Saw someone say this happened to them at WUSTL this cycle. Wondering if we're in for a very large class.

WooWooWashU

New

Post by WooWooWashU » Thu May 05, 2016 7:16 pm

Just made the Facebook group public. I didn't realize it wasn't public when I started it. I'm already in STL, living in the CWE. If anybody needs building/bar recs in the area, ask away.

I'll be setting up a few Facebook events over the summer for those of us that are already in STL. Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe city museum, KBBQ on the loop, and/or a few choice bars in the CWE.

Congrats to all you current 1Ls lurking- last day of 1L exams was today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kdub1982

New

Post by kdub1982 » Fri May 06, 2016 12:14 am

WooWooWashU wrote:Just made the Facebook group public. I didn't realize it wasn't public when I started it. I'm already in STL, living in the CWE. If anybody needs building/bar recs in the area, ask away.

I'll be setting up a few Facebook events over the summer for those of us that are already in STL. Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe city museum, KBBQ on the loop, and/or a few choice bars in the CWE.

Congrats to all you current 1Ls lurking- last day of 1L exams was today.
Have a link for the group? I couldn't find it.

WooWooWashU

New

Post by WooWooWashU » Fri May 06, 2016 12:21 am

AntsInMyEyesJohnson

New

Post by AntsInMyEyesJohnson » Fri May 06, 2016 11:26 am

Checking in. Will in all likelihood be there this fall. Looking forward to it!

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:18 pm

Hey 0Ls, hope those of you who have committed to WUSTL are pumped and those of you on the fence decide to hop on the bandwagon. I'm a 3L here and have loved my time in St Louis. Anyway - to the point. My roommate's girlfriend just graduated and moved to St Louis for next year so he will be moving out and leaving me all alone in my sizable apartment. While that's not really a huge issue, it's always nice to have someone right there to share a beer and a laugh with while watching the hockey game. Not paying twice the rent is cool, too.

I've been looking around for potential new roommates and figured the easiest source of people looking for a new apartment in St Louis would be you guys. I live a 5 minute walk from Forest Park, right near the metrolink stop at the history museum which is super convenient. More than that, it's about a 2 minute drive/cab or 10 minute walk to either the CWE or The Loop - best of both worlds, really. It's a great place on Pershing Ave where tons of other law students and other grad students live. Pretty young area. Anyways, I know you guys will be looking for apartments fairly soon once the second deposit deadline passes, so feel free to PM me if you think you might be interested or really if you have any other questions about St Louis or WUSTL in general.

Cheers

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dads707

New

Post by Dads707 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:02 am

Anyone else going to be at The Fairmont in CWE on Maryland?

Studios and single bedrooms at decent prices.

Anyone already there with words of wisdom?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri May 27, 2016 8:43 am

People talking about moving - are you getting a July 1 or August 1? I was planning on August and just haven't seen much available yet.

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Fri May 27, 2016 12:01 pm

guybourdin wrote:People talking about moving - are you getting a July 1 or August 1? I was planning on August and just haven't seen much available yet.
I asked admissions about housing earlier this week. I was told it's still too early to search for August, probably have to wait at least until June. I was also told they'll have a housing concierge to help 0Ls out who should be available starting next week. For those coming to WUSTL from more distant states and for whom traveling to look at apartments would be difficult, they said their housing concierge will look at apartments on your behalf.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue May 31, 2016 5:04 pm

Just withdrew with about $120K in scholarship. I hope that it gets redistributed to all of y'all! I loved WashU, but it just didn't "fit" as well as other schools. Best of luck to you all!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

darkchildnana

Bronze

Post by darkchildnana » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:36 am

Just submitted my second deposit! Can't wait to meet you guys in the fall!

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:41 pm

darkchildnana wrote:Just submitted my second deposit! Can't wait to meet you guys in the fall!
Just sent mine as well. Pumped.

Dads707

New

Post by Dads707 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:35 pm

tsujimoto74 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:People talking about moving - are you getting a July 1 or August 1? I was planning on August and just haven't seen much available yet.
I asked admissions about housing earlier this week. I was told it's still too early to search for August, probably have to wait at least until June. I was also told they'll have a housing concierge to help 0Ls out who should be available starting next week. For those coming to WUSTL from more distant states and for whom traveling to look at apartments would be difficult, they said their housing concierge will look at apartments on your behalf.
I was able to get a place locked down in April for a mid-August move-in. They had two separate properties. All 1-bedrooms or studios. Nothing in the rooms impressed me a whole lot, but the people were friendly and helpful.

Better location, smaller rooms, might not get parking (2 units per spot is what I was told)
http://www.fairmontapts.net/

About a five minute walk (if that) to restaurants, bigger rooms, more parking (1 unit per spot)
http://www.monticelloapts.net/

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:41 pm

PSA for those of you hunting for apartments: do not rent from TIA Properties (Guy's name is AJ). He is unethical, lazy, and just a terrible landlord.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:29 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:PSA for those of you hunting for apartments: do not rent from TIA Properties (Guy's name is AJ). He is unethical, lazy, and just a terrible landlord.
Suggestions on specific complexes?

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:59 am

splitterfromhell wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:PSA for those of you hunting for apartments: do not rent from TIA Properties (Guy's name is AJ). He is unethical, lazy, and just a terrible landlord.
Most people I know here dislike their landlords. St. Louis landlords are pretty bad. There's not much good out there.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:01 am

splitterfromhell wrote:
The ideal area IMO would be Demun, just south of Wash U and across the street from Forest Park. Aside from those major benefits, it's close to a gas station, close to the highway, close to a large shopping complex that everybody goes to (Galleria), close to both Target and Walmart (where Chi-fil-A can be found), and is a very safe neighborhood. Re: specific complexes there, I'm not sure, but if you're in that area you can't go wrong. I personally think it's hands down the best location.

And trust me, AJ is actually the worst. I can give tons of stories but am at work and don't have time. Will update later if people doubt me.

crunchyb314

New

Post by crunchyb314 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:01 pm

I am a native of St. Louis & went to Wash U for undergrad. If you have a car, and don't mind driving 15-20 minutes, you can rent a house or huge apartment/condo, in a nice neighborhood in St. Louis County, for about the same amount as you'll be spending for an apartment or condo by Wash U. It works for me. I've been doing it for about the last 3 years. But I'm from STL, so I know all of the roads/neighborhoods to commute. I refuse to live in the city. I hate "city life". I don't like "being scrunched". I have a REAL grocery store within 5 minutes of my home. I live 5 minutes from a shopping mall too. I also have a yard for my dog. He's a very bad dog :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”