University of Washington c/o 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be depositing at UW?

Of course. I bleed purple and gold.
50%
Ehh, not sure yet.
17%
Nah, I've got other plans.
33%

Total votes: 18

jsquared

New

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Post by jsquared » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:50 pm

Navyhornguy wrote:
gastronomy wrote:
jsquared wrote:
gastronomy wrote:
jsquared wrote:Has anyone received their scholarship offers yet?
Nope. Still waiting.
Good to know it's not just me. They did say they would be released the week after the apps were due, right? The page has been taken down so I can't check
Yeah, they're supposed to be released the week after March 15th. But, I think one person posted in the UW Applicants page that he called admissions, and they told him, "early next week." Maybe they pushed decisions back? :?
It was me that had contacted admissions. This is what I got back:

"Scholarships will only be sent to UW e-mails, not personal e-mails. We had a slight hold up earlier this week due to complications with UW Central Registrar processing admitted students for us. We’re working to get scholarship packages sent out as soon as we can, by early next week at the latest."
Ok, thanks! How did you set up your UW email? I tried to access it and it told me my netID doesn't have access to that page.

jsquared

New

Post by jsquared » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:53 pm

Draconem wrote:I have only been able to set up email forwarding. Can someone help me figure out how to set up our actual UW emails?
I'm in the same position. I suppose that's good enough for getting scholarship packages, though.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:53 pm

jsquared wrote:
Navyhornguy wrote:
gastronomy wrote:
jsquared wrote:
gastronomy wrote:
jsquared wrote:Has anyone received their scholarship offers yet?
Nope. Still waiting.
Good to know it's not just me. They did say they would be released the week after the apps were due, right? The page has been taken down so I can't check
Yeah, they're supposed to be released the week after March 15th. But, I think one person posted in the UW Applicants page that he called admissions, and they told him, "early next week." Maybe they pushed decisions back? :?
It was me that had contacted admissions. This is what I got back:

"Scholarships will only be sent to UW e-mails, not personal e-mails. We had a slight hold up earlier this week due to complications with UW Central Registrar processing admitted students for us. We’re working to get scholarship packages sent out as soon as we can, by early next week at the latest."
Ok, thanks! How did you set up your UW email? I tried to access it and it told me my netID doesn't have access to that page.
And then I just got this, just now:

"I misinformed you and am writing to correct myself – you were originally correct, scholarship e-mails will be sent to your personal e-mail address. I apologize for this confusion! You’ll hear from us shortly!"

jsquared

New

Post by jsquared » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Oh, great! Here's to hoping we all get those fabled emails tomorrow

gastronomy

Bronze

Post by gastronomy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:30 pm

Last edited by gastronomy on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:01 pm

Just got the scholarship email from Dean Le. They awarded me........................$0. I am withdrawing today because I'd rather go to Virginia than UW with no scholarship. Best of luck to the rest of you!

forlornhope

New

Post by forlornhope » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:07 pm

Last edited by forlornhope on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jsquared

New

Post by jsquared » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:47 pm

forlornhope wrote:Just got my email, too. Currently my merit offer = $0...

This is quite disappointing. I'm not quite sure why being above 75% LSAT doesn't merit getting a single penny in assistance. The reminder about the FAFSA in the email about need-based aid is a bit of salt on the wound, for me, considering my spouse's income pretty much leaves me with nothing on that front. I like Seattle, but California is starting to look a little nicer.
I'm in the same position. Above 75% LSAT with very attractive offers from comparable schools but nothing from UW. It's very disappointing, but I'm holding out until after the 2nd round. Anyone know how likely it is to get money in the next round?

gastronomy

Bronze

Post by gastronomy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Last edited by gastronomy on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rachellewrx

New

Post by rachellewrx » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:42 am

Joining the $0 club. I ain't paying sticker price for UW. So withdrawing...

robertwabisabi

Bronze

Post by robertwabisabi » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:47 pm

ETA: I was asked to accept the scholarship by April 15th. If I don't accept the scholarship, it is given out during the second round of offers. Listed the UC offers to illustrate how much less scholarship money UW gives out, but also how much less UW costs.

I received a merit scholarship. I was also informed that I might receive a need-based scholarship as well. I am still in the running for the Gregoire Fellowship.

I am in-state at Washington, so I am looking at 31k/yr for tuition. Currently the other two schools under strong consideration for me are UC Davis and UCLA. Davis is almost full-tuition scholarship and UCLA is half. Each of the three options has pros and cons.

Because of the lower cost of living and in-state status, I will still have less debt with UW, even without the Gregoire fellowship. I am really looking for reasons to return to Seattle for law school and practice law in the pacific nw.

I would not consider UW strongly if I did not want to end up in the small Seattle legal market.

Although sticker is tough, if you are a WA resident, you would need a 30k/yr scholarship or more from a UC or t20 to equalize the cost of UW. (Tuition plus col for UW: ~50k; tuition plus col for t20: ~80k+)

For those waiting on scholarship info, the 2015 ABA report paints a pretty clear picture about what to expect. Of the 509 total enrolled students last year, ~40% paid sticker, ~30% received up to 9k, ~15% received 9k-14k. Of the remaining ~75 students, 18 were Gates Fellows (full tuition plus col), 40 received half to full tuition, and the rest received between 14k and half tuition.
Last edited by robertwabisabi on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gastronomy

Bronze

Post by gastronomy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:21 pm

robertwabisabi wrote:I received a merit scholarship. I was also informed that I might receive a need-based scholarship as well. I am still in the running for the Gregoire Fellowship.

I am in-state at Washington, so I am looking at 31k/yr for tuition. Currently the other two schools under strong consideration for me are UC Davis and UCLA. Davis is almost full-tuition scholarship and UCLA is half. Each of the three options has pros and cons.

Because of the lower cost of living and in-state status, I will still have less debt with UW, even without the Gregoire fellowship. I am really looking for reasons to return to Seattle for law school and practice law in the pacific nw.

I would not consider UW strongly if I did not want to end up in the small Seattle legal market.

Although sticker is tough, if you are a WA resident, you would need a 30k/yr scholarship or more from a UC or t20 to equalize the cost of UW. (Tuition plus col for UW: ~50k; tuition plus col for t20: ~80k+)

For those waiting on scholarship info, the 2015 ABA report paints a pretty clear picture about what to expect. Of the 509 total enrolled students last year, ~40% paid sticker, ~30% received up to 9k, ~15% received 9k-14k. Of the remaining ~75 students, 18 were Gates Fellows (full tuition plus col), 40 received half to full tuition, and the rest received between 14k and half tuition.
Congrats, robertwabisabi! :D I appreciate you sharing your scholarship info!

robertwabisabi

Bronze

Post by robertwabisabi » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:41 pm

gastronomy wrote: Congrats, robertwabisabi! :D I appreciate you sharing your scholarship info!
Happy to provide more scholarship details via pm if you want any comparative data.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

octobereve

New

Post by octobereve » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:53 pm

I was also surprised to see I received $0 in merit scholarships. If a Gregoire scholarship doesn't come through on April 4th I am not sure what I will do. It is hard to put down that $500 on April 15th before knowing anything about that second round of scholarship $$.

Did anyone who applied for the Gregoire Fellowship get a notice on Friday saying you WEREN'T in the running anymore? Or did they say that to everyone?

robertwabisabi

Bronze

Post by robertwabisabi » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:07 pm

octobereve wrote:I was also surprised to see I received $0 in merit scholarships. If a Gregoire scholarship doesn't come through on April 4th I am not sure what I will do. It is hard to put down that $500 on April 15th before knowing anything about that second round of scholarship $$.

Did anyone who applied for the Gregoire Fellowship get a notice on Friday saying you WEREN'T in the running anymore? Or did they say that to everyone?
I think the deposit deadline is May 1st.

April 15th is the deadline to accept scholarship offer.

Re: Gregoire - not sure about the selection process. Maybe everyone that applied is still under consideration until all apps have been reviewed.

gastronomy

Bronze

Post by gastronomy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:08 pm

Last edited by gastronomy on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jsquared

New

Post by jsquared » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:09 pm

gastronomy wrote:Does anyone know what time Admitted Students' Day on April 8th begins and ends?

I tried searching the portal, but didn't see a specific time frame.
9:00am to 4:30pm. I found it on the page where you RSVP, which is a weird place to put it. Hope this helps!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gastronomy

Bronze

Post by gastronomy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:06 pm

Last edited by gastronomy on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keezmasterflex

New

Post by keezmasterflex » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:06 pm

gastronomy wrote:
jsquared wrote:
gastronomy wrote:Does anyone know what time Admitted Students' Day on April 8th begins and ends?

I tried searching the portal, but didn't see a specific time frame.
9:00am to 4:30pm. I found it on the page where you RSVP, which is a weird place to put it. Hope this helps!
Thanks so much! That helps a ton! Hope to see some of you guys there.
My girl and I will be there!

gastronomy

Bronze

Post by gastronomy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:47 pm

What's everyone planning to wear to Accepted Students' Day? Are we supposed to dress a bit more formal, rather than casual?

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:38 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gastronomy

Bronze

Post by gastronomy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:18 pm

mcmand wrote:
gastronomy wrote:What's everyone planning to wear to Accepted Students' Day? Are we supposed to dress a bit more formal, rather than casual?
I don't know about ASD itself, but for the reception the night before, all of us current students in attendance have been asked to wear at least business casual.
Good to know! Thanks! I'll be attending the reception as well, so I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

forlornhope

New

Post by forlornhope » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:25 pm

Any recommendations for parking? I'll be driving downtown that afternoon and don't really know the campus too well.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:33 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

westcoast16

New

Post by westcoast16 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:24 pm

gastronomy wrote:What's everyone planning to wear to Accepted Students' Day? Are we supposed to dress a bit more formal, rather than casual?
I'm definitely planning on dressing more on the casual side for both Thursday night and Friday - especially since they specified Thursday night as being informal. I've only ever been to one other ASD, but it was really casual (although more "nice jeans and cardigan" as opposed to "flip flops and shorts" kind of casual).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”