SMU Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
texasrangersjb

Bronze

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Post by texasrangersjb » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:45 pm

twokings wrote:I'm not planning on attending the Incoming Students Welcome on June 17th. Am I the only one?
Absolutely not the only one. And I live in DFW...

texasrangersjb

Bronze

Post by texasrangersjb » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:48 pm

BeatriceButler wrote:The new 2016 Above The Law top 50 law school rankings is out, and SMU is ranked #29, which is up 8 spots from 2015.

http://abovethelaw.com/careers/2016-law ... t-again%2F

ETA: SMU's +8 increase from last years rankings is the largest increase of any school in the top 30.
That is pretty awesome man. Great bump up, I wonder what the main contributors were?

SMU is no T-14, but I love that we can take pride in the fact that SMU is a VERY good and very practical law school to attend for those interested in working in Texas and Dallas. I know for a fact there are a few who turn down T-14's for SMU (w/ big scholly) because they are confident that SMU Law can potentially help them land a great, fulfilling job.

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:13 am

texasrangersjb wrote:
twokings wrote:I'm not planning on attending the Incoming Students Welcome on June 17th. Am I the only one?
I was planning on going, if either of you do decide to go pm me and we can meet up if interested.

BeatriceButler

New

Post by BeatriceButler » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:58 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:
texasrangersjb wrote:
I was planning on going, if either of you do decide to go pm me and we can meet up if interested.
Still undecided over here. I've been working a lot lately so the idea of giving up a Saturday afternoon isn't super appealing rn, but still might go.

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:12 pm

BeatriceButler wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:
texasrangersjb wrote:
Still undecided over here. I've been working a lot lately so the idea of giving up a Saturday afternoon isn't super appealing rn, but still might go.
June 17 is a Friday. I'm planning on going, probably sometime during the middle of the event. Happy to meet up with you all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BeatriceButler

New

Post by BeatriceButler » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:52 pm

trmckenz wrote:
BeatriceButler wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:
texasrangersjb wrote:
June 17 is a Friday. I'm planning on going, probably sometime during the middle of the event. Happy to meet up with you all.
You're right, and I'm stupid. With that being said it probably makes it less likely I will attend.
Last edited by BeatriceButler on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

p1921

Bronze

Post by p1921 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:10 pm

It's not a big deal at all to miss. I didn't go (out of town) and never heard anyone mention it once orientation/classes rolled around.

texasrangersjb

Bronze

Post by texasrangersjb » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Lol'd at The Porch being listed under 'local pubs'. It's definitely a hot social place, but it's at Watermark church right?

edit-- and by hot I mean the women

beachgirl

New

Post by beachgirl » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:29 pm

You are confusing The Porch which is a restaurant in Dallas with a college program at Watermark Church. They are two different things and not related.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twokings

New

Post by twokings » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:31 am

Do we find out our section assignments at orientation?

BeatriceButler

New

Post by BeatriceButler » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:56 am

twokings wrote:Do we find out our section assignments at orientation?
I was under the impression we would find out sooner than orientation. I haven't seen/heard a set date or anything, but I checked last years SMU class thread and their schedule's/section #'s were released around July 22.

ChampionshipPressure

New

Post by ChampionshipPressure » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:46 am

Our schedules should be released around the middle of July, which is about the same time as last year's release. The info should be in our my.smu accounts when they release the sections. I found this out thru the Facebook group.

DCOptOut

New

Post by DCOptOut » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:48 am

Anyone on here going to the Mustang Bar event tonight in Ft. Worth? Not looking forward to the drive, but I've convinced myself that it's worth not missing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:44 pm

DCOptOut wrote:Anyone on here going to the Mustang Bar event tonight in Ft. Worth? Not looking forward to the drive, but I've convinced myself that it's worth not missing.

I'm not but let me know what it's like. Thought about going but decided to just go tomorrow.

texasrangersjb

Bronze

Post by texasrangersjb » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:16 pm

ChampionshipPressure wrote:Our schedules should be released around the middle of July, which is about the same time as last year's release. The info should be in our my.smu accounts when they release the sections. I found this out thru the Facebook group.
Saw that too. Cool.

And orientation is 3 days long :(

Does anyone else have trouble signing into the admitted students website? Not my.smu but the law.smu.edu admitted students site where the username and password is the same for everyone, SMULAW and FALL2016.

Tried that info and it didn't work.

ChampionshipPressure

New

Post by ChampionshipPressure » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:45 pm

texasrangersjb wrote:
ChampionshipPressure wrote:Our schedules should be released around the middle of July, which is about the same time as last year's release. The info should be in our my.smu accounts when they release the sections. I found this out thru the Facebook group.
Saw that too. Cool.

Does anyone else have trouble signing into the admitted students website? Not my.smu but the law.smu.edu admitted students site where the username and password is the same for everyone, SMULAW and FALL2016.

It was a typo in your welcome packet, it's supposed to be all lowercase, I had same issue and called admissions. Did you go to either of the events last Friday?

texasrangersjb

Bronze

Post by texasrangersjb » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:58 pm

ChampionshipPressure wrote:
texasrangersjb wrote:
Saw that too. Cool.

It was a typo in your welcome packet, it's supposed to be all lowercase, I had same issue and called admissions. Did you go to either of the events last Friday?

Sweet I tried lower case and it worked. Why do they put it in uppercase if it's supposed to be in lowercase? Ugh..

I didn't go... kinda lazy tbh. How' about you?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ChampionshipPressure

New

Post by ChampionshipPressure » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:33 pm

texasrangersjb wrote:
texasrangersjb wrote:
Saw that too. Cool.

Sweet I tried lower case and it worked. Why do they put it in uppercase if it's supposed to be in lowercase? Ugh..

I didn't go... kinda lazy tbh. How' about you?
I went to both and they were pretty good. Met some interesting future classmates as well as some 2Ls, PM me if you want.

twokings

New

Post by twokings » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:51 pm

I realize our teams have room for improvement but what's the word on football or basketball tickets? Do law students have any seniority?

BeatriceButler

New

Post by BeatriceButler » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:18 pm

twokings wrote:I realize our teams have room for improvement but what's the word on football or basketball tickets? Do law students have any seniority?
This is just what I heard from others but apparently football tickets (team hasn't been good recently) are super easy to grab. The tailgates before football games, "boulevarding" as they like to call it, I've heard are really fun. Don't quote me but someone told me law students get two free drink tickets for the football games :D

Basketball tickets on the other hand (the teams been pretty darn good recently) are pretty hard to get based on what I've heard. I'm going to try really hard to attend at least one basketball game.

DepressedWorkerBee

New

Post by DepressedWorkerBee » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:15 pm

Anyone heard about any movement on the waitlist?

Sounds like most of the acceptances are supposed to go out in "late June/early July"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LawSoHard04

New

Post by LawSoHard04 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:47 am

texasrangersjb wrote:
Saw that too. Cool.

I went to both as well. Pretty entertaining actually. Jill Nikirk bragged pretty heavily on the incoming class and that applicant numbers and quality were both noticeably up this year (true or not, felt good). Free Valet at a nice hotel makes you feel like the lawyer route and tons of debt is worth it. Free drinks each place and meeting a bunch of classmates were highlights. About 85 people made it to the Friday event, so about 35% of the class.

p1921

Bronze

Post by p1921 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:30 pm

LawSoHard04 wrote:
texasrangersjb wrote:
Saw that too. Cool.

I went to both as well. Pretty entertaining actually. Jill Nikirk bragged pretty heavily on the incoming class and that applicant numbers and quality were both noticeably up this year (true or not, felt good). Free Valet at a nice hotel makes you feel like the lawyer route and tons of debt is worth it. Free drinks each place and meeting a bunch of classmates were highlights. About 85 people made it to the Friday event, so about 35% of the class.
Free valet and hotel won't happen again. Don't get used to it, and that stuff is not worth the debt. Think of how many hotel rooms, valets and drinks you could buy with just one year of tuition.

ChampionshipPressure

New

Post by ChampionshipPressure » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:02 pm

p1921 wrote:
LawSoHard04 wrote:
texasrangersjb wrote:
Saw that too. Cool.

Free valet and hotel won't happen again. Don't get used to it, and that stuff is not worth the debt. Think of how many hotel rooms, valets and drinks you could buy with just one year of tuition.
Considering tuition is more than the average persons yearly salary, that depends. Do you want to travel the world or stay a week at the Waldorf?

LawSoHard04

New

Post by LawSoHard04 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Anyone here taking the BARBRI class at the school the first week of August?

Also, anyone know what to expect from it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”