SMU Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
PatriotP74

Silver

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Post by PatriotP74 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:11 am

texasrangersjb wrote:
BeatriceButler wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:Anyone started looking at apartments yet? Need to do that, curious any pros/cons people have found. I'm looking to live within easy walking distance personally.
I signed a lease about two weeks ago with a complex right off 75 and Royal (just south of 75 and 635 "high five" intersection). I needed a place relatively close to both SMU and UTD because my girlfriend is currently finishing up her undergrad at UTD, and will be splitting rent with me.

There are options closer to campus, but I found that most of the 1 bedroom apartments near campus were way over the price I wanted to pay ($900 per month or less). Saw some decent deals on 2 bedrooms walking distance to campus though....

With that being said I also looked really hard at "The Village" off 75 and North West Highway, and almost ended up leasing there. The quote they gave me on a 1 bedroom was something like $875-$900 per month. It's one or two exits closer to SMU than where I ended up leasing, but I ended up choosing the Royal and 75 complex because they gave me $785 per month, were recently remodeled, and I know two people who currently lease there that vouched for it.
ended up at the Village. Anyone else?

I'm going to tour a few this weekend. Village is on my list. Also gonna check out a few further south near city place/uptown

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:41 am

Went apartment hunting today, pretty set on either northbridge in the village or Phoenix midtown. Both pretty nice properties and pretty close to campus.

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Mon May 02, 2016 11:56 am

The problem with The Village is that it's expensive. They sell it to you as, "Oh, but you get access to our country club, gym, and pools!" All that is nice...but you're still paying more for it, which is especially insulting when "it" is a bug-infested place from the 70s. You end up pay mid/high-end prices for a low-end apartment.

If you want cheap, then look a few exits north on 75, e.g., around the Royal/Forest area. If you want nice, then look at the newer stuff on Skillman, University, and Mockingbird. Lots of folks at SMU live in Uptown, and Deep Ellum is also exploding in popularity. If you're not from around the area: Uptown is where the students and 30k millionaires party, and Deep Ellum is where the trendy folks, rockers, and hipsters party. I'm not about the party life so others are better equipped to offer advice about that.

PS - Avoid The BLVD or anything on/near SMU Blvd. They're a nightmare.

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Mon May 02, 2016 12:39 pm

I live in Uptown now above the Whole Foods on McKinney Ave and it's a pretty fun area. I'd describe the going out scene as moderately preppy, a little more laid back vibe than on the East Coast, but there is some extra flashiness sometimes. Deep Ellum has way more character - I tend to start my nights in Uptown and end up in Deep Ellum.

For this fall, I've narrowed my living choices down to keeping my place in Uptown (walking distance to my office) or moving to University Park. If I do move, I'd probably rent a two-bedroom place in walking distance to the law school... is there any interest in a roommate situation in a place close to the law school?

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:07 pm

Stevoman wrote:
PS - Avoid The BLVD or anything on/near SMU Blvd. They're a nightmare.

Mind elaborating on this? Phoenix is right in that area.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Mon May 02, 2016 1:19 pm

I can't speak for Phoenix specifically, but all the stuff that's right on SMU Blvd. is a 24/7 party. Loud music at all hours, vomit on the stairs outside your door, trash in the pool, etc.

twokings

New

Post by twokings » Tue May 03, 2016 11:50 am

Is anyone familiar with the Grand Reserve townhomes on Lovers Lane? I'm afraid it may be full of undergrads.

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Tue May 03, 2016 1:44 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:Went apartment hunting today, pretty set on either northbridge in the village or Phoenix midtown. Both pretty nice properties and pretty close to campus.

After reading probably 50 reviews on each complex I've decided to alter a bit and possibly bump my budget up a bit more. I'll be living with my girlfriend who will be working and need to be some place she can feel safe just walking in the parking lot.

Anyone live at Lincoln?

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Tue May 03, 2016 1:59 pm

FWIW several SMU law grads at my office (including those in relationships during law school) mentioned that The Village is the place to be. I haven't looked into living there, but apparently it is where a lot of law students live.

Another option for non-trad students would be Lower Greenville or Knox-Henderson neighborhoods. Fewer students there for sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BeatriceButler

New

Post by BeatriceButler » Tue May 03, 2016 5:12 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:Went apartment hunting today, pretty set on either northbridge in the village or Phoenix midtown. Both pretty nice properties and pretty close to campus.

After reading probably 50 reviews on each complex I've decided to alter a bit and possibly bump my budget up a bit more. I'll be living with my girlfriend who will be working and need to be some place she can feel safe just walking in the parking lot.

Anyone live at Lincoln?
Might want to check the new Elan City Lights apartment complex on the edge of Deep Ellum right off 75. They've been open less than a year I believe. I have a close buddy who lives there with his gf and they love it. Been over there a bunch of times myself. It's more than I would want to pay in rent while in LS, but it's a nice place if you're looking in that $1,200 - $1,500 range.
Last edited by BeatriceButler on Tue May 03, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Tue May 03, 2016 5:14 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:

Anyone live at Lincoln?
I lived in the Village for two years as a grad student at SMU and I loved it. The places aren't necessarily the most luxurious ever, but they are clean and well-maintained. The maintenance staff was awesome; any request I put in was fixed promptly and correctly. They have security patrolling all the time, and it's a nice part of town honestly. It took me about 8 minutes to get to campus and you don't have to drive on any highways or interstates. Just my two cents.

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Tue May 03, 2016 6:03 pm

BeatriceButler wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:

Anyone live at Lincoln?
Might want to check the new Elan City Lights apartment complex on the edge of Deep Ellum right off 75. They've been open less than a year I believe. I have a close buddy who lives there with his gf and they love it. Been over there a bunch of times myself. It's more than I would want to pay in rent while in LS, but it's a nice place if you're looking in that $1,200 - $1,500 range.
Funny story, my buddy was the manager at that complex. Can attest to it being a well run and very nice place. It's definitely on the more expensive end of apartments, but just about everything new in walking distance of Deep Ellum will be in that price range.

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Tue May 03, 2016 6:07 pm

twokings wrote:Is anyone familiar with the Grand Reserve townhomes on Lovers Lane? I'm afraid it may be full of undergrads.
It is. The friends I knew there said it was loud all the time.

If you guys are looking for something newer around Lovers, I can definitely recommend The Avery on Southwestern and The Standard. If you want to go a little ways up Skillman, Haven Lake Highlands is also super nice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:40 pm

BeatriceButler wrote:

Thanks man I will check them out, don't want to pay that much but I'm willing to go up a bit if it means at least a more secure feeling. The idea of going to a vehicle in the parking garage at 6a.m. and seeing people who clearly don't live there walking around just gives me that bad feeling.

texasrangersjb

Bronze

Post by texasrangersjb » Tue May 17, 2016 12:49 pm

trmckenz wrote:FWIW several SMU law grads at my office (including those in relationships during law school) mentioned that The Village is the place to be. I haven't looked into living there, but apparently it is where a lot of law students live.

Another option for non-trad students would be Lower Greenville or Knox-Henderson neighborhoods. Fewer students there for sure.
That's where I will be. VIllage that is.

DCOptOut

New

Post by DCOptOut » Tue May 17, 2016 6:17 pm

Anybody have any recent experience with the Mockingbird Flats (formerly the BLVD)? Visited with my girlfriend and toured a few units, loved the amenities and featuers. We were absolutely shocked to hear that this was the infamous BLVD apartments!

Apparently new management bought them out last year and they've been cleaning up their act, redesigning common areas, restricting housing to 21 & up residents, etc. Was curious if any other locals have had more recent interactions with anyone that lives there. Would love to seriously consider, but being a party venue would make it a deal breaker.

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:11 pm

texasrangersjb wrote:
trmckenz wrote:FWIW several SMU law grads at my office (including those in relationships during law school) mentioned that The Village is the place to be. I haven't looked into living there, but apparently it is where a lot of law students live.

Which complex will you be in?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Wed May 18, 2016 12:20 pm

DCOptOut wrote:Anybody have any recent experience with the Mockingbird Flats (formerly the BLVD)? Visited with my girlfriend and toured a few units, loved the amenities and featuers. We were absolutely shocked to hear that this was the infamous BLVD apartments!

Apparently new management bought them out last year and they've been cleaning up their act, redesigning common areas, restricting housing to 21 & up residents, etc. Was curious if any other locals have had more recent interactions with anyone that lives there. Would love to seriously consider, but being a party venue would make it a deal breaker.
Sounds a lot like Texas A&M's recent purchase of Texas Wesleyan School of Law.

DCOptOut

New

Post by DCOptOut » Wed May 18, 2016 5:39 pm

trmckenz wrote:
DCOptOut wrote:Anybody have any recent experience with the Mockingbird Flats (formerly the BLVD)? Visited with my girlfriend and toured a few units, loved the amenities and featuers. We were absolutely shocked to hear that this was the infamous BLVD apartments!

Sounds a lot like Texas A&M's recent purchase of Texas Wesleyan School of Law.
Ha, well if you make that comparison, I'd have concerns moving in.

texasrangersjb

Bronze

Post by texasrangersjb » Fri May 20, 2016 1:48 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:
texasrangersjb wrote:

Which complex will you be in?
Dakota. Parents helping me out.

BeatriceButler

New

Post by BeatriceButler » Mon May 23, 2016 3:42 pm

The new 2016 Above The Law top 50 law school rankings is out, and SMU is ranked #29, which is up 8 spots from 2015.

http://abovethelaw.com/careers/2016-law ... t-again%2F

ETA: SMU's +8 increase from last years rankings is the largest increase of any school in the top 30.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

New

Post by 147221 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:45 am

Deleted
Last edited by 147221 on Fri May 12, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New

Post by 147221 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Deleted
Last edited by 147221 on Fri May 12, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChampionshipPressure

New

Post by ChampionshipPressure » Fri May 27, 2016 10:40 pm

EquitiesinDallas wrote:Also none of those Asian places serve "food". If you want Chinese the best in Dallas will be Szechuan style at Royal Sichuan in Richardson. Korean food is probably the only legitimate Asian food in Dallas and there are a bunch of good places around the H-Mart area. Thai is probably the only thing close to Asian "food" that is readily available around the DFW area or Americanized sushi/ramen which you can find all over West Village, Deep Ellum, Uptown, Las Colinas, etc.
Royal Sichuan in Richardson is legit. I haven't been to H-Mart in forever, Omi Korean BBQ is near H-Mart and pretty good but pricey. Ten-50 BBQ is decent. Las Colinas is real hit and miss for restaurants. I'd recommend India Palace off of Preston and LBJ, and Ali Baba's in Richardson. This is DFW, we have options, it just depends what you're looking for. There are even a couple of Ethiopian places in town too.

twokings

New

Post by twokings » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm not planning on attending the Incoming Students Welcome on June 17th. Am I the only one?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”