UCLA Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
adelllla

New

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2019

Post by adelllla » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:02 pm

miku015 wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:Did everyone get the provisional award letter today?

That loan amount was painful. Going to try to negotiate with my Vandy offer plus see if I can get any more need-based aid, since they're estimating I'll have a family contribution of ~10k when in reality it will be zero. If they don't budge, bye bye LA :(
Got my provisional award letter today, must admit I was extremely disappointed when all I saw was them telling me to take 200k+ in loans. There is no way in hell I'd be able to afford UCLA at sticker, going to try to negotiate w/ my T14 offer...
Isn't it for one year only, the award amount??

miku015

New

Post by miku015 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:05 pm

adelllla wrote:
miku015 wrote:

That loan amount was painful. Going to try to negotiate with my Vandy offer plus see if I can get any more need-based aid, since they're estimating I'll have a family contribution of ~10k when in reality it will be zero. If they don't budge, bye bye LA :(
Got my provisional award letter today, must admit I was extremely disappointed when all I saw was them telling me to take 200k+ in loans. There is no way in hell I'd be able to afford UCLA at sticker, going to try to negotiate w/ my T14 offer...
Well they literally gave me $0 in awards, so 70k a year for 3 years = 200k+ in loans :(

I don't think they're going to magically start awarding me merit in years 2 and 3 if I don't receive any in the first year.

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Tentatively checking in. Outside of a crazy scholarship offer at a T14 I am interested in, I am definitely planning on attending UCLA this fall.

adelllla

New

Post by adelllla » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:10 pm

miku015 wrote:
adelllla wrote:
miku015 wrote:

Well they literally gave me $0 in awards, so 70k a year for 3 years = 200k+ in loans :(

I don't think they're going to magically start awarding me merit in years 2 and 3 if I don't receive any in the first year.
Oh okay. I don't think it's impossible to receive merit as a 2L/3L, but you're right, the chances are slim and the amount would probably not be that much. Good luck with negotiations!!

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:47 pm

adelllla wrote:
miku015 wrote:
adelllla wrote:
miku015 wrote:

Oh okay. I don't think it's impossible to receive merit as a 2L/3L, but you're right, the chances are slim and the amount would probably not be that much. Good luck with negotiations!!
I did hear from a student at UCLA that in 2L year they negotiated more merit aid. Not sure the details but they made it sound like they did. I think it was a mix of grades + volunteering around the law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adelllla

New

Post by adelllla » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:19 pm

Does anyone know if the living expenses on the PAL assumes living in a specific place (Weyburn, Hilgard, etc.)?

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:46 pm

adelllla wrote:

I got mine as well. It's generous, as I knew, but I'm going to negotiate against SLS cause I want to stay in LA. I think from lurking around here that you went to UCLA as an undergrad, and so did I! So if we both choose UCLA, we'd be double bruins together!
Woooh, (potential) double bruins!
SLS is a pretty great bargaining chip, I'd be surprised if they don't raise your offer. Good luck! :D

adelllla

New

Post by adelllla » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:16 pm

Lucyfur wrote:
adelllla wrote:

I got mine as well. It's generous, as I knew, but I'm going to negotiate against SLS cause I want to stay in LA. I think from lurking around here that you went to UCLA as an undergrad, and so did I! So if we both choose UCLA, we'd be double bruins together!
Woooh, (potential) double bruins!
SLS is a pretty great bargaining chip, I'd be surprised if they don't raise your offer. Good luck! :D
Thanks, you too!!!

wellitsover

Bronze

Post by wellitsover » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:42 pm

Checking in! Hoping I will end up here, but still waiting for scholly info.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:27 pm

Anyone else heading to the admitted student's day this upcoming Sunday?

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:58 am

Draconem wrote:Anyone else heading to the admitted student's day this upcoming Sunday?
I might. I went to the first one but I have more questions now after visiting other schools I'm considering that I want to ask

alvmew

New

Post by alvmew » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:28 pm

Draconem wrote:Anyone else heading to the admitted student's day this upcoming Sunday?
I will be there, as well as for the Diversity Weekend before.

miku015

New

Post by miku015 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:10 pm

Was able to negotiate $0 to $$ using leverage from a T14, but still not enough to make it viable. Has anyone been able to successfully negotiate to a full ride?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

larsy91

New

Post by larsy91 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:33 am

miku015 wrote:Was able to negotiate $0 to $$ using leverage from a T14, but still not enough to make it viable. Has anyone been able to successfully negotiate to a full ride?
+1 I would love to know this too. Any successful negotiations? Would love a PM with which offers you used as I'm trying to negotiate in the next few days.

alora

New

Post by alora » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:28 am

yep! just booked a hotel room for the night.

darlenealderson

Bronze

Post by darlenealderson » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:05 am

Just withdrew, hope one of you will get my $$. Good luck all!

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:40 pm

Successfully negotiated more merit aid, PM if interested

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wellitsover

Bronze

Post by wellitsover » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:31 pm

alora wrote:
yep! just booked a hotel room for the night.
Wish I could join. Let us know how it goes!

alvmew

New

Post by alvmew » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:03 pm

I was able to go from $0.00 to some money, but nothing too major. Surprised given my pretty decent offers at USC, UC Irvine, and UC Davis. Still strongly leaning towards UCLA (and my visit tomorrow through Sunday will probably help me make my final choice), but even just a smidge more money would seal the deal for me. Otherwise, USC is looking pretty attractive right now lol.

PM for details if interested.

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:33 am

Will be making my deposit this week! :D

adelllla

New

Post by adelllla » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:38 am

Lucyfur wrote:Will be making my deposit this week! :D
Did you go to ASD? If so, how was it? I had a last minute emergency and couldn't make it. :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jaywhy

New

Post by jaywhy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:50 pm

adelllla wrote:
Did you go to ASD? If so, how was it? I had a last minute emergency and couldn't make it. :|
I was there and had a good time. Talked to a lot of professors and alumni in my areas of interest and they were all very friendly and interesting to talk to. Also the Career Services shared employment data ahead of the upcoming NLAP report and there sounds like there's been improvement so look out for that in the next week or so.

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:39 pm

adelllla wrote:
I enjoyed it. I went to the first but liked that this one was more relaxed. Definitely made me feel confident in my decision :D The faculty and current students were all cool and seemed very happy to be there.

adelllla

New

Post by adelllla » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:39 pm

jaywhy wrote:
adelllla wrote:
I was there and had a good time. Talked to a lot of professors and alumni in my areas of interest and they were all very friendly and interesting to talk to. Also the Career Services shared employment data ahead of the upcoming NLAP report and there sounds like there's been improvement so look out for that in the next week or so.
Oh, that's great to hear, thanks a lot for letting me know!!

adelllla

New

Post by adelllla » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:40 pm

Lucyfur wrote:
adelllla wrote:
I enjoyed it. I went to the first but liked that this one was more relaxed. Definitely made me feel confident in my decision :D The faculty and current students were all cool and seemed very happy to be there.
Oh okay, that's great. I've always heard of that relaxed vibe. I guess we will be classmates soon, cause I shall make a deposit sometime this week, as well!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”