UCLA Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
87mm

Bronze

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2019

Post by 87mm » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:01 pm

keezmasterflex wrote:
Bikes are also dangerous. The traffic in Los Angeles is not bike friendly. They are aggressive, on their cell phones, putting on make-up and in a rush 99.9% of the time. My accidents occurred in neighborhoods and side roads. I was never on a freeway with my motorbike. Hard to live in LA without a car.

I would ideally not use my car to get around 90% of the time since parking is terrible in LA and I like the sun. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get around campus on a motorcycle? I would assume its easy to get around via bike. I contacted parking services and motorcycle parking is free in designated spots. Is motorcycle parking usually filled @ UCLA?
Last edited by 87mm on Fri May 06, 2016 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

wellitsover

Bronze

Post by wellitsover » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:11 pm

Where is everyone planning to live?

I'm applying for grad housing, but am also looking off campus because of the cost... but keep flipping back and forth every hour.

alora

New

Post by alora » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:29 am

wellitsover wrote:Where is everyone planning to live?

I'm applying for grad housing, but am also looking off campus because of the cost... but keep flipping back and forth every hour.
i'm definitely hoping for on campus housing. it's crazy expensive, but for me the positives outweigh the negatives. i don't have a car and the peace of mind that'll come with not having to deal with LA public transportation to get to class on time makes the price is worth it. if i could drive i'd likely try to find somewhere off campus since you CAN get things significantly cheaper... but i also value my alone time, and the cheapest options involve sharing rooms or houses/apartments. there are so many factors to take into consideration, it can get overwhelming.

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:56 am

alora wrote:

i'm definitely hoping for on campus housing. it's crazy expensive, but for me the positives outweigh the negatives. i don't have a car and the peace of mind that'll come with not having to deal with LA public transportation to get to class on time makes the price is worth it. if i could drive i'd likely try to find somewhere off campus since you CAN get things significantly cheaper... but i also value my alone time, and the cheapest options involve sharing rooms or houses/apartments. there are so many factors to take into consideration, it can get overwhelming.
Looking around the area, campus housing seems cheaper than anything out there that is decent. Unless you live 30 minutes away, but then you factor in utilities and gas during the commute.

wellitsover

Bronze

Post by wellitsover » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:50 pm

87mm wrote:
alora wrote:

Looking around the area, campus housing seems cheaper than anything out there that is decent. Unless you live 30 minutes away, but then you factor in utilities and gas during the commute.
It seems that if you can find someone to split with (while still having your own room), whether through Craigslist or on the UCLA housing website, it's definitely possible to find a less expensive option, especially if parking is included without additional cost.

My plan right now is to look into these options and keep grad housing as a backup. It seems that if I can cut a few hundred bucks of housing/parking cost per month, I can save up to 10k over three years... but I must admit Weyburn does sound super nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lackadaze

New

Post by lackadaze » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:21 pm

alora wrote:

Just FYI, if you live along Sunset or Wilshire you can take those buses to campus easily, no transfers. There are definitely studios for far cheaper than campus housing along those corridors -- Koreatown especially, but also Hollywood, Little Armenia, and Mid Wilshire. If you're used to an urban transit commute it's nbd; you can read on the bus instead of concentrating on crazy LA traffic.

(Plus, I hear UCLA heavily discounts transit cards, but campus parking is pretty steep.)

wellitsover

Bronze

Post by wellitsover » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:01 pm

lackadaze wrote:
alora wrote:

Just FYI, if you live along Sunset or Wilshire you can take those buses to campus easily, no transfers. There are definitely studios for far cheaper than campus housing along those corridors -- Koreatown especially, but also Hollywood, Little Armenia, and Mid Wilshire. If you're used to an urban transit commute it's nbd; you can read on the bus instead of concentrating on crazy LA traffic.

(Plus, I hear UCLA heavily discounts transit cards, but campus parking is pretty steep.)
Thanks for this, that's pretty specific info that'll be useful as I continue searching beyond grad housing!

chazzninetythree

New

Post by chazzninetythree » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:48 am

Hey guys! Just got in off the waitlist. I had my interview yesterday and he was asking me if I were to attend if accepted with no money. He said it would be difficult to get some, but it is possible. I'm at their medians for LSAT and GPA. Any advice on how to negotiate to get more money? I was accepted yesterday so I'm not sure if they'll give me any initially, or how much. I just figured it would be better to have a plan. I received 40K/year from Minnesota, but obviously I would strongly prefer going to UCLA. Looking forward to hopefully meeting you guys!

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:52 am

chazzninetythree wrote:Hey guys! Just got in off the waitlist. I had my interview yesterday and he was asking me if I were to attend if accepted with no money. He said it would be difficult to get some, but it is possible. I'm at their medians for LSAT and GPA. Any advice on how to negotiate to get more money? I was accepted yesterday so I'm not sure if they'll give me any initially, or how much. I just figured it would be better to have a plan. I received 40K/year from Minnesota, but obviously I would strongly prefer going to UCLA. Looking forward to hopefully meeting you guys!
I've had multiple meetings with deans, and they've all basically said there is no money left.

Not sure why all of a sudden they are saying there might be.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chazzninetythree

New

Post by chazzninetythree » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:19 pm

Draconem wrote:
chazzninetythree wrote:Hey guys! Just got in off the waitlist. I had my interview yesterday and he was asking me if I were to attend if accepted with no money. He said it would be difficult to get some, but it is possible. I'm at their medians for LSAT and GPA. Any advice on how to negotiate to get more money? I was accepted yesterday so I'm not sure if they'll give me any initially, or how much. I just figured it would be better to have a plan. I received 40K/year from Minnesota, but obviously I would strongly prefer going to UCLA. Looking forward to hopefully meeting you guys!
I've had multiple meetings with deans, and they've all basically said there is no money left.

Not sure, but he basically said that to me too. Maybe in case people with good $ offers withdraw?

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:17 pm

chazzninetythree wrote:
Draconem wrote:

Not sure, but he basically said that to me too. Maybe in case people with good $ offers withdraw?
Probably little but some money on the table now that more people have withdrawn. I have a friend that was successful renegotiating in the past week. It really just depends on your bargaining chips. Is Minnesota your only other offer? If you wouldn't attend UCLA at sticker, I would tell him that and give him a number at which you would attend. If you still would attend at sticker, act like you wouldn't anyway and see what you get! Good luck!

meowatme123

New

Post by meowatme123 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:05 pm

Lucyfur wrote:
chazzninetythree wrote:
Draconem wrote:

Probably little but some money on the table now that more people have withdrawn. I have a friend that was successful renegotiating in the past week. It really just depends on your bargaining chips. Is Minnesota your only other offer? If you wouldn't attend UCLA at sticker, I would tell him that and give him a number at which you would attend. If you still would attend at sticker, act like you wouldn't anyway and see what you get! Good luck!
Not to be the bearer of more negative news, but I asked them about merit aid this week (was accepted about a week or so ago) and I told them about multiple offers from similarly ranked schools and they told me there wasn't any money left. If you have amazing numbers they might be able to find some for you, but they were pretty open about not having any money left because of how late it was in the season. They said they would essentially put my name on a list and contact me if more money became available as people withdraw.

aldrinjustice

New

Post by aldrinjustice » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:16 am

Hello! I was admitted recently and am very excited to be attending UCLA this Fall.

A couple of questions for any current students or knowledgable 0Ls out there:
- What are 3-day weekends like during 1L? (Labor Day, Veteran's Day, etc.) Do people ever travel out of town, hang around in town, or are they usually locked up in the library?

- Is it true that all classes are video recorded? I think my tour guide mentioned this. Also, how frowned upon is it to miss a class or two during the first semester? Is it pretty chill/acceptable or would it make a bad impression? I have to travel for a wedding in September and I might have to miss a couple of classes.

Thanks! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:58 pm

lenardizag

New

Post by lenardizag » Tue May 03, 2016 2:51 pm

Hey guys, who's 100% set on UCLA? I am and would love to talk to some of my fellow classmates!

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Tue May 03, 2016 3:32 pm

lenardizag wrote:Hey guys, who's 100% set on UCLA? I am and would love to talk to some of my fellow classmates!
99.9%
only way I don't go is if I get accepted to Northwestern and they give me enough money off the wailist. Even if that does happen, I'll probably still stay in LA though 8)

alora

New

Post by alora » Tue May 03, 2016 7:21 pm

lenardizag wrote:Hey guys, who's 100% set on UCLA? I am and would love to talk to some of my fellow classmates!
definitely 100% set on it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shakha

New

Post by shakha » Tue May 03, 2016 7:55 pm

Lucyfur wrote:
99.9%
only way I don't go is if I get accepted to Northwestern and they give me enough money off the wailist. Even if that does happen, I'll probably still stay in LA though 8)
Also 99.9% :D (still riding out berkeley's waitlist :| )

but just got the email for the june reception! does anyone know if it's going to be different info and what not from the admit day?

alora

New

Post by alora » Tue May 03, 2016 7:59 pm

also got the email for the june reception, i'm curious to know if it'll be different as well. a chance to meet people who actually plan on going to the school rather than people who are looking at all their options might be nice.

adelllla

New

Post by adelllla » Tue May 03, 2016 8:59 pm

alora wrote:
definitely 100% set on it!
Same, 100! And I am also planning on attending June review (I couldn't make it to ASD), so looking forward to meeting all of my future classmates :)

FatApollo

New

Post by FatApollo » Wed May 04, 2016 2:56 am

Deposited and most likely attending! Still waiting to hear from Georgetowns waitlist tho

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alvmew

New

Post by alvmew » Wed May 04, 2016 3:24 pm

I'm 100%. Have a few waitlists, but honestly I think LA is the place for me (and I doubt I would get much money to make it worth it from those other schools).

Not sure if I'm going to the June reception - I live in Vegas, so it's just a short drive/flight away and might, who knows.

woc

New

Post by woc » Mon May 09, 2016 1:32 pm

anyone know when we can expect to hear back on housing?

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Mon May 09, 2016 7:07 pm

woc wrote:anyone know when we can expect to hear back on housing?
I'd guess towards the end of this month.

adelllla

New

Post by adelllla » Wed May 11, 2016 12:03 am

So if anyone is familiar with the housing process (I never actually lived on campus), how does it work? Are roommates random? I would prefer a gal pal and wasn't sure if that's the standard assignment process?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”