UCLA Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
87mm

Bronze

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2019

Post by 87mm » Wed May 11, 2016 12:20 am

Last edited by 87mm on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

still

Bronze

Post by still » Wed May 11, 2016 4:11 am

87mm wrote:Do any LA residents/Bruins recommend getting a road bike to commute around the campus and surrounding area? It looks like Santa Monica is only a 30 minute bike ride away and you wont have to pay for parking.

How are the roads for biking around? Seriously considering it.
1L here (almost 2L)

i bike to school everyday. it turns my 20ish minute walk into a pleasant 6 minute ride. I live a little over a mile from the school. I dont live in weyburn but rather a couple blocks directly east of it (i am directly south of the law school, weyburn is sw of the law school)

i love my bike ride, its very scenic. First i bike a block or so to the med school. then i hop off and walk my bike through a little shortcut trail that runs through the botanical gardens. when i get back to the street I ride on Charles E Young drive which meanders through south campus (the nice part) until it takes me all the way to the law school. very low traffic on this street in general too.

theres one gnarly hill but its short and shouldnt be a problem for most bikes (i ride fixed gear so its a little rough)

i'm planning on moving to weyburn but even then i will still bike to school (im too cool for shuttles). from weyburn you have to ride east through westwood (dipshit drivers, shitty roads, crazy people that scream at intersections) and theres a long hill when you go onto charles e young drive.

the best thing though is biking back to weyburn at night after finishing your work in the library, especially when the sun is setting. streets are empty and very wide.

Jumpman32

New

Post by Jumpman32 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:10 pm

Lucyfur wrote:
lenardizag wrote:Hey guys, who's 100% set on UCLA? I am and would love to talk to some of my fellow classmates!
99.9%
only way I don't go is if I get accepted to Northwestern and they give me enough money off the wailist. Even if that does happen, I'll probably still stay in LA though 8)
I'm in the same exact situation lol

jmark1

New

Post by jmark1 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:29 pm

Is anyone else going to the welcome reception next week?

FatApollo

New

Post by FatApollo » Mon May 30, 2016 3:38 pm

jmark1 wrote:Is anyone else going to the welcome reception next week?
I wish! I'm going to be out of the country for a few days, so I'll be missing it. Can't wait to hear how it goes for everyone tho!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alora

New

Post by alora » Tue May 31, 2016 5:55 pm

nah, couldn't get a ride :( post back and let us know how it went, though!

lenardizag

New

Post by lenardizag » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:32 am

Ill be there!

alora

New

Post by alora » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:25 am

have you guys heard anything about housing yet? i'm in the C/O 2019 facebook group and lots of people seem to be posting about their housing assignments, and i applied in february but still haven't heard anything... i might be worrying prematurely, though.

jaywhy

New

Post by jaywhy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:35 pm

alora wrote:have you guys heard anything about housing yet? i'm in the C/O 2019 facebook group and lots of people seem to be posting about their housing assignments, and i applied in february but still haven't heard anything... i might be worrying prematurely, though.
i'm still waiting. I think people who were guaranteed housing go first. I'm in the graduate lottery so I'm hoping to hear by the end of the month.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alora

New

Post by alora » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:58 pm

jaywhy wrote:
alora wrote:have you guys heard anything about housing yet? i'm in the C/O 2019 facebook group and lots of people seem to be posting about their housing assignments, and i applied in february but still haven't heard anything... i might be worrying prematurely, though.
i'm still waiting. I think people who were guaranteed housing go first. I'm in the graduate lottery so I'm hoping to hear by the end of the month.
yeah, i gave them a call a few days ago and was told that they don't usually know if a certain room will be available until 30 days before your specified move-in date and that if i haven't heard anything by the last week of june to call back. not looking super promising, but i'm holding out hope!

jaywhy

New

Post by jaywhy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:03 am

alora wrote:
jaywhy wrote:
yeah, i gave them a call a few days ago and was told that they don't usually know if a certain room will be available until 30 days before your specified move-in date and that if i haven't heard anything by the last week of june to call back. not looking super promising, but i'm holding out hope!
Ah if it's 30 days before move in date then I still have time. Thanks!

BruinLegalLatina

New

Post by BruinLegalLatina » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Welcome incoming 1Ls! 3L here selling my used LEEWS CDs and all the pile of books I bought recommended by Planet Law School II. I focused on these materials the summer before 1L and they made a huge impact on my grades as well as prepping me to understand the slew of new vocabulary and concepts that drown folks starting school. Good grades means great job offers (big law, sports agency, and the NFL where I work now!) and I thought this was worth every minute of time spent reading and practicing and every penny I spent on these books and CDS. Made 2L and now 3L soooo much easier :)

Willing to sell them individually or separately. Easier if you're in the LA area for pick up. I will post each book and a photo later today.

aldrinjustice

New

Post by aldrinjustice » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:44 pm

Does anyone know how financial aid works? I've seen my PAL, but what are the next steps? When do you sign up for loans? :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:24 pm

aldrinjustice wrote:Does anyone know how financial aid works? I've seen my PAL, but what are the next steps? When do you sign up for loans? :?
If it's similar to undergrad (which it seems like it is), I believe they send you an eFAN which indicates your scholarships from the school and any government loans you qualify for. You then accept or decline the award, and indicate how much you want to take for the loans.

Financial aid office's number is (310) 825-2260

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:32 pm

Currently making my budget for the school year so I can see how much in loans I need to take out. Even with free housing (#blessed) and my scholarships, one year in loans is going to be more than all 4 years of loans for undergrad combined. I feel dead inside. Just wanted to share with you all.

YAAAY, WHO'S EXCITED FOR LAW SCHOOL?!

alora

New

Post by alora » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:16 am

Lucyfur wrote:Currently making my budget for the school year so I can see how much in loans I need to take out. Even with free housing (#blessed) and my scholarships, one year in loans is going to be more than all 4 years of loans for undergrad combined. I feel dead inside. Just wanted to share with you all.

i'm SO ready. have you gotten/read the required book yet?

robertwabisabi

Bronze

Post by robertwabisabi » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:42 pm

alora wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:Currently making my budget for the school year so I can see how much in loans I need to take out. Even with free housing (#blessed) and my scholarships, one year in loans is going to be more than all 4 years of loans for undergrad combined. I feel dead inside. Just wanted to share with you all.

I am very excited to start law school. I read "Cracking the Case Method". I have nothing by which to compare it, as far as intro to law books go, but it was pretty straight-forward and short.

In the "documents" section of the Student Services page on MyLaw, there is a pdf titled "Book Descriptions".

Are these the four books we can choose to read prior to orientation as part of UCLA Law's Community Read Forum?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alora

New

Post by alora » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:09 am

robertwabisabi wrote:
alora wrote:

I am very excited to start law school. I read "Cracking the Case Method". I have nothing by which to compare it, as far as intro to law books go, but it was pretty straight-forward and short.

In the "documents" section of the Student Services page on MyLaw, there is a pdf titled "Book Descriptions".

Are these the four books we can choose to read prior to orientation as part of UCLA Law's Community Read Forum?
i hadn't seen that document before! it looks like those should be the available books, yeah. i hope they are, at least, they all sound interesting to me. are you going to read one?

robertwabisabi

Bronze

Post by robertwabisabi » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:41 am

alora wrote: i hadn't seen that document before! it looks like those should be the available books, yeah. i hope they are, at least, they all sound interesting to me. are you going to read one?
They all sound interesting to me, too! I kind of want to read all of them. I think I am going to start with the book by Elyn Saks, then see if I can finish another before orientation.

adelllla

New

Post by adelllla » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:18 pm

Does anybody know what the convocation is about, &/or is anyone planning on attending?

alora

New

Post by alora » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:06 am

adelllla wrote:Does anybody know what the convocation is about, &/or is anyone planning on attending?
i think it's just like a nice ceremony to celebrate your official "integration" into the law school, at least that's what i'm getting from the info we've been given. i will likely invite my parents as i'm a first gen college student, i think it'll be a nice gesture for them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alora

New

Post by alora » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:06 am

did you all get your "lawmod" emails today?

mrsomebody

New

Post by mrsomebody » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:58 pm

alora wrote:did you all get your "lawmod" emails today?

A day ago, I think. I wish they would tell us why they grouped each 'mod' together.

adelllla

New

Post by adelllla » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:36 am

alora wrote:
adelllla wrote:Does anybody know what the convocation is about, &/or is anyone planning on attending?
i think it's just like a nice ceremony to celebrate your official "integration" into the law school, at least that's what i'm getting from the info we've been given. i will likely invite my parents as i'm a first gen college student, i think it'll be a nice gesture for them.
Oh okay. I was under the mistaken impression that convocation was the same as commencement, so I was a bit confused. Thank you!

jmark1

New

Post by jmark1 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:51 pm

mrsomebody wrote:
alora wrote:did you all get your "lawmod" emails today?

A day ago, I think. I wish they would tell us why they grouped each 'mod' together.
Right? I'm looking at the other names I'm with and I'm thinking, what is our shared secret...?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”