UChicago c/o 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
segamebgeh

New

UChicago c/o 2019

Post by segamebgeh » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:58 pm

Liberally pulled from last year's thread--thanks Wahrheit!--images to come

Admitted students website
Class of 2019 Facebook
Housing information

Admitted Students Weekend: April 14-16
We offer admitted students the opportunity to stay overnight with a current law student during ASW, as we want to give you as much of the student experience as possible over the course of the weekend...Students living more than 150 miles from the University of Chicago campus may be reimbursed for up to $200 in travel expenses.
Key dates:
April 1: Day in the Life program
April 8: Deadline for Admitted Students Weekend
April 14-16: Admitted Students Weekend
April 29: Deposits due ($500)
May 31: FAFSA and loan application deadline
Sept. 12: Orientation begins!

UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions--a super helpful thread about UChicago
So You're Thinking of Moving to Hyde Park--an excellent FAQ about Hyde Park and UChicago by hmlee
Tips & Tricks to Living in Hyde Park

Feel free to let me know if I should add any specific information, polls, etc. Congratulations everyone!

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Re: UChicago c/o 2019

Post by Iam3hunna » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:41 am

Awesome. Was hoping this would pop up soon!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:07 am

tag ; feel free to PM + quote for questions.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:00 am

Checking in. There's a very good chance I end up here.

Flipper001

New

Post by Flipper001 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:37 am

Dcc617 wrote:Checking in. There's a very good chance I end up here.
Same!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

meowmers

Bronze

Post by meowmers » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:54 am

Flipper001 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:Checking in. There's a very good chance I end up here.
Same!
ditto!

liyorah

New

Post by liyorah » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:04 am

Checking in :)

lebongenre

Bronze

Post by lebongenre » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:05 am

Also checking in :D

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:06 am

Checking in!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Za-or-Nah

New

Post by Za-or-Nah » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:42 am

Super hyped to be attending next year! :D

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:57 am

Checking In! Does the travel stipend mentioned in the OP still apply for ASW? Also what are the odds that 2/4 admits will finally hear back about aid today?

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:00 pm

Checking in! Currently my top choice, really hoping for a decent scholarship offer.

segamebgeh

New

Post by segamebgeh » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:11 pm

skimmilk wrote:Checking In! Does the travel stipend mentioned in the OP still apply for ASW? Also what are the odds that 2/4 admits will finally hear back about aid today?
I have no idea about aid timelines, but the travel stipend is for ASW and Day in the Life, as long as you're traveling more than 150 miles.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gerard

New

Post by gerard » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:35 pm

Checking in!

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:18 pm

Checking in! Thanks for getting the thread going. Last week I promised to make it, but then my wife went into labor and the baby eliminated my TLS time.

Here's the banner Gray made, for adding later:

http://m.imgur.com/T0iSuYF?r

lebongenre

Bronze

Post by lebongenre » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:45 pm

Last edited by lebongenre on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:07 pm

WinterComing wrote:Checking in! Thanks for getting the thread going. Last week I promised to make it, but then my wife went into labor and the baby eliminated my TLS time.

Here's the banner Gray made, for adding later:

http://m.imgur.com/T0iSuYF?r
Congratulations! That's such exciting news!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SD619

Bronze

Post by SD619 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:32 pm

Checking in. I would be pumped to end up at UChicago but still waiting on the final results of this cycle and money.

So far UChicago has seemed like a dream. Can't wait to visit

nicknar

Bronze

Post by nicknar » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:46 pm

After getting admitted yesterday, I almost don't even care how the rest of my cycle goes at this point, other than waiting to hear about funding.

Anyone have any thoughts on Chicago's LRAP? They straight up say "you can come here for free if you do PI and make under $80k." A lot of the schools I've been looking at have LRAP programs that seem really great but UChicago is the only one that describes it in such bold terms.

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:07 pm

nicknar wrote:After getting admitted yesterday, I almost don't even care how the rest of my cycle goes at this point, other than waiting to hear about funding.

Anyone have any thoughts on Chicago's LRAP? They straight up say "you can come here for free if you do PI and make under $80k." A lot of the schools I've been looking at have LRAP programs that seem really great but UChicago is the only one that describes it in such bold terms.
I've heard UChicago is stingy with scholarships, but use their LRAP program to compensate.. How does their program compare to others? I noticed they cover clerkships, I don't think many school's offer to do the same?

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:11 pm

Anyone want to offer some insight into UChicago's housing? Their apartments seem pretty nice and affordable, but do students normally seek out living elsewhere?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nicknar

Bronze

Post by nicknar » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:49 pm

skimmilk wrote:
nicknar wrote:After getting admitted yesterday, I almost don't even care how the rest of my cycle goes at this point, other than waiting to hear about funding.

I've heard UChicago is stingy with scholarships, but use their LRAP program to compensate.. How does their program compare to others? I noticed they cover clerkships, I don't think many school's offer to do the same?
You're right about clerkships, most schools don't cover that. 80k is probably the highest salary cap I've seen, but some other places scale down gradually after the cap, so they're still covering a portion of payments, while it looks like with UChicago once you hit 80k you're on your own. But you still have IBR and PSLF, so it's not like you'll be screwed at that point--at least that's how it seems.

I don't know, it sounds so amazing, but I keep feeling like there's gotta be some catch I'm not seeing. Because everyone still talks about how "Oh yeah only trust fund babies can afford to do PI," and "I don't want to do biglaw but that's what you need to do to pay off loans," which, if this can all be taken at face value, really doesn't look to be the case anymore. I mean yeah you have to make sure you get a job that qualifies for the program, and yeah that debt is still there floating over your head even if the school is covering payments, but still that doesn't seem so hard to work with.

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:56 pm

nicknar wrote:
skimmilk wrote:

You're right about clerkships, most schools don't cover that. 80k is probably the highest salary cap I've seen, but some other places scale down gradually after the cap, so they're still covering a portion of payments, while it looks like with UChicago once you hit 80k you're on your own. But you still have IBR and PSLF, so it's not like you'll be screwed at that point--at least that's how it seems.

I don't know, it sounds so amazing, but I keep feeling like there's gotta be some catch I'm not seeing. Because everyone still talks about how "Oh yeah only trust fund babies can afford to do PI," and "I don't want to do biglaw but that's what you need to do to pay off loans," which, if this can all be taken at face value, really doesn't look to be the case anymore. I mean yeah you have to make sure you get a job that qualifies for the program, and yeah that debt is still there floating over your head even if the school is covering payments, but still that doesn't seem so hard to work with.
If it helps you feel better, one of my Professors has been telling me not to worry at all about it. He had a student a while back who grew up very impoverished and went to UChicago. The school basically offered him no aid, but has been paying his loans since he started his clerkship with no problems. When he finishes his clerkship he will either continue on with PI or will go somewhere that makes his debt seem like pocket change. I am still of course wary of paying so much to attend law school, but this has certainly given me hope!

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:20 pm

nicknar wrote:I don't know, it sounds so amazing, but I keep feeling like there's gotta be some catch I'm not seeing. Because everyone still talks about how "Oh yeah only trust fund babies can afford to do PI," and "I don't want to do biglaw but that's what you need to do to pay off loans," which, if this can all be taken at face value, really doesn't look to be the case anymore. I mean yeah you have to make sure you get a job that qualifies for the program, and yeah that debt is still there floating over your head even if the school is covering payments, but still that doesn't seem so hard to work with.
The program is as great as advertised. The catch (true with most LRAP programs) is (1) you severely underestimate how difficult it is to get a decent PI job, (2) 10 years is a long, long time, and (3) the tax bomb at the end is a monster.

segamebgeh

New

Post by segamebgeh » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:25 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
nicknar wrote:I don't know, it sounds so amazing, but I keep feeling like there's gotta be some catch I'm not seeing. Because everyone still talks about how "Oh yeah only trust fund babies can afford to do PI," and "I don't want to do biglaw but that's what you need to do to pay off loans," which, if this can all be taken at face value, really doesn't look to be the case anymore. I mean yeah you have to make sure you get a job that qualifies for the program, and yeah that debt is still there floating over your head even if the school is covering payments, but still that doesn't seem so hard to work with.
The program is as great as advertised. The catch (true with most LRAP programs) is (1) you severely underestimate how difficult it is to get a decent PI job, (2) 10 years is a long, long time, and (3) the tax bomb at the end is a monster.
I was under the impression that PSLF, unlike the 25-year standard discharge, was not taxable income. Or do you mean the individual tax hits from the annual UChicago loans to cover your loan repayments, which it forgives for you at the end of each year?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”